Chapter 18 - Big Day

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Supp, this time let's mix thing up a little bit, using an english song ;) Sparks Fly- Taylor Swift

 

 

It was the day of the competition, Wendy woke up at 9am and the competition started at 12pm. She went for a run to warm up, making herself a fruit juice after run. Her sister already woke up by the time she was in the kitchen.

 

"Did you just go for a run?" Yeri covered her yawn with her hand, blinking away the sleepiness, pouring herself a glass of water. Her voice was groggy. was too dry after sleeping in an air-conditioned room.

 

"Yes, warm up. I'll go to the court first." Wendy was cutting the fruit. "Do you want some?"

 

Yeri walked toward Wendy and saw the fruits and vegetables on the cutting board, scrunching up her face at the thought of too much fibre intake in the early morning, couldn't hide her disgust. "No, thanks. God, you are too healthy."

 

"I wonder how can you not have constipation?" Wendy resumed cutting the fruits and vegetables, preparing for two portions, another one for her mother.

 

Like mother, like daughter.

 

"I'm taking fibre in my own way." Yeri walked out and sat on the table. The parents were already out to work, still needed to work half-day on Saturday and they would make sure they reach the court before the competition.

 

"You sure you don't wanna come to watch me practise?" Wendy asked again, because it would be troublesome to come back home to fetch Yeri and went to the spot.

 

"Nah, I rather stay for few hours more." Yeri started to eat the breakfast cooked by Mrs Kim. "Is Irene-unnie coming?"

 

"Yes, she is. Why?" Wendy settled down her juice and sat beside Yeri.

 

"I thought she could sit with us. You wouldn't want her to be sitting alone, all by herself, won't you?" Yeri did a little pun from Celion Dion's all by myself, singing it out loud.

 

Wendy rolled her eyes, turned her attention to the breakfast, starting to eat the breakfast.

 

"9.15am

Irene: Good luck. See you later. :D "

 

The first thing Joohyun woke up, she searched for her phone and sent the message to Seungwan. She still had around two and a half hours to prepare herself (she already chose an outfit with the opinions from Sooyoung, the fashionista). She quickly walked down to the cafeteria to buy breakfast.

 

It's a while since they reunited and now their relationship was stronger than ever. (Is it though?) They were bolder to show their affection toward each other, not that the boundary ever existed in the first place or in the past.

 

Now, they would just hold hand, kissed each other goodbye while leaving, on the cheek.

 

All these were initiated by Seungwan.

 

But, Joohyun would reciprocate.

 

So, it was completely normal to dress up (even asked people's opinon about it) to girl friend's (girlfriend's) competition to show her support.

 

"I have feelings for you and I know you do, too."

 

"I wanna take it slow before we jump into it."

 

Despite the Son Seungwan being hypocrite for her own words, and she was the one who wasn't afraid to initiate it.

 

But, Joohyun loved every single of it.

 

Every single minute of it.

 

Joohyun was too deep in thought, she didn't notice Yuri and Yoona-sunbae were calling her.

 

"Irene!"

 

Joohyun almost yelped in surprise, her body jolted up and turned to the source, seeing the couple laughing while walking toward her.

 

"What are you thinking? We have been shouting your name and all people around heard us except you." Yuri was still chuckling, gesturing around.

 

"Nothing, just some courseworks." Joohyun knew she told the truth, they would about it. Joohyun didn't want any of that, teasing from Sooyoung and Tiffany was enough.

 

Not from seniors too.

 

"Must be thinking of Wendy." Yoona saw through her acting.

 

"N-no, Yoona-sunbae. R-really." And, Joohyun was already blushing furiously.

 

Really convincing.

 

"Do you realize you only stutter when we talk about Wendy?" Yuri nudged Irene's arm, her eyebrows arching up.

 

"R-really?" And her blush wasn't fading.

 

It would leave a stain if it kept on like this.

 

"So whipped." Yoona shook her head at her helpless junior and asked. "Any plans with her today?"

 

"S-she is having volleyball competition, later in the afternoon." Joohyun knew she couldn't hide it anymore, might as well as telling the truth.

 

Though, she was dying to share it with the world.

 

"Her very own cheerleader. As expected, Wendy." Yuri nodded her acknowledgement to Wendy, with the satisfied expression, as if she couldn't be more proud at the junior.

 

"How are you going?" Yoona asked. "Is she picking you up?"

 

"No, I am going there by bus." Joohyun only thought of the time, seeing the watch for the first time.

 

"9.50am"

 

", it's late. I have to go and prepare. Bye, Yoona and Yuri-sunbae."

 

The bunny, then, rushed back to her dorm without waiting the seniors to say goodbye.

 

"They make a good couple. But, still, we are better." Yuri laughed at her cute junior, always proud of themselves.

 

Yoona rolled her eyes at her girlfriend. "Let's go. Kwon Yuri."

 

 

"You are early." The co-captain walked into the changing room, and noticed Wendy was already sitting on the bench, doing the stretch. Wendy wore a black jersey with her name and 77 on it and white shortpants. Her hair was tied to a bun and a headband on her forehead.

 

"We can use some practice, don't you think?" Wendy was always like this, arrived early before competition and practised herself.

 

Seulgi came in, later, with 20 on her black jersey."Don't you think you are too hard core?" Having the same type of headband on the forehead but tied her hair into high ponytail, wearing a long pant instead.

 

"I thought our co-captain wanted to win here."

 

"I don't want my member to lose her stamina before the competition." Joy who was wearing number 31 black jersey and white short pants, tied her hair into ponytail with the hairband on her hand. She started to do warm up too.

 

The rest members came into the changing room respectively and last, their couch came in. They all stood up and greeted the couch. Then, the couch gathered all the member in a circle, briefing them the strategy used in the first round. At last, they all cheered their chant to boost their morale.

 

They waited at the changing room for their turn to enter. Seulgi went to toilet as she was always nervous before the competition, and of course Joy would go along to calm down the nervous bear.

 

Wendy was wondering whether Irene knew how to come to the place though she already called and told the bunny how to come to the place.

 

"Good morning, Bae Joohyun-ssi."

 

"Good morning, Son Seungwan-ssi. How are you feeling today? Nervous?"

 

"No, because my cheerleader will be there."

 

Seungwan wasn't stingy with her compliment toward Joohyun or these few days.

 

Always showered Joohyun with flattery.

 

Joohyun would get flustered and her mind couldn't comprehend the fact of Seungwan would be this frank.

 

But, Seungwan was always cheesy to anyone.

 

Even in the past.

 

But, Seungwan meant every words she said while she threw a pick up line to Joohyun.

 

Flirty yet earnest.

 

And, it was only reserved for Joohyun.

 

"Are you blushing again?" Wendy chuckled. "I thought you would get used to it by now."

 

"I.."

 

"Do you know the bus route to here?" Wendy stated out the reason she called her favourite bunny.

 

"I know, I am still a Korean, even though I lived in Japan for two years." Joohyun whined while checking herself on the mirror for one last time before departing to the bus top.

 

"Do you mind if you sit with Yeri later? She said she didn't want you to sit alone."

 

"That's very sweet of her. Sure." Joohyun smiled at Yeri's thoughtfulness.

 

Like elder sister. Like younger sister.

 

As warm-hearted as Seungwan.

 

"Don't get lost, okay." Wendy nagged again.

 

"I will not!"

 

"Wendy, there is someone outside asking for you." Her captain came back into the changing room from the toilet.

 

"Okay." Wendy couldn't think of anyone coming to see her before the competition. Yeri already texted her that they arrived the court and currently settled at their seats.

 

She left the room and went wide open, seeing a very breathtaking cheerleader standing there with her hair keeping down, tucking her hair behind her ear to hide her shyness.

 

The way you move is like a full on rainstorm
And I'm a house of cards
You're the kind of reckless that should send me running
But I kinda know that I won't get far

 

It wasn't even exaggerating to say Irene was a fallen angel from the heaven. She was wearing a black tank top with a white straight stripped button down as a jacket. The long ripped jeans brought out her body line even more.

 

 

Joohyun got down the bus, following the crowd, entered the court. She asked Seulgi beforehand for the location of the team's changing room. Seulgi, then, told Joohyun just entered the court with the 4th entrance and the changing room would be on the right.

 

She walked toward someone wearing the black jersey with the same college name where Seungwan attended. She figured the person must be Seungwan's teammate, then she asked the person for Seungwan. Then, the person walked into the room and called for her favourite player in the team.

 

She didn't know why she was nervous, it wasn't even her competition, she was just there as an audience.

 

But, It's the first competition where Joohyun got to watch Seungwan compete.

 

To watch Seungwan play.

 

And, Seungwan said she was her cheerleader.

 

Being there for Seungwan for the first time after two years.

 

The moment Seungwan walked out, with the sporty look. Joohyun liked the look already, it was something Joohyun had never seen before.

 

It was charming.

 

Joohyun hid her nervousness by tucking her hair behind her ears, slightly waving her hand with a shy smile, slowly walking toward Seungwan.

 

She couldn't understand the reason behind rapid beating of her heart.

 

And you stood there in front of me just
Close enough to touch
Close enough to hope you couldn't see
What I was thinking of

 

Joohyun thought to herself, it must be due to the running.

 

But the thing was Joohyun didn't run here.

 

 

"Y-you.. look.. ugh.. woah.. very well-dressed."

 

Joohyun found her knee went weak as she heard her confident Seungwan fell into stutter, stupefied by her outfit.

 

Her smile got a little bit wider as Seungwan talked.

 

 

Wendy cursed at herself for stuttering. She was also fluent with words, she would never get shy in public speaking. And yet, her personal cheerleader just caused word to be stuck at .

 

She rolled her eyes at herself, frustrated.

 

She had to remind herself to breathe.

 

Breathe, Son SeungWan. Breathe.

 

 

Seeing Seungwan being dysfunctional to form a coherent sentence, Joohyun was proud for the effect of her effort.

 

"Why do we have to go shopping now?" Sooyoung grumbled as her arm was being dragged away by Joohyun.

 

"Tomorrow, I have an important appointment." Joohyun didn't want to let Sooyoung know the competition, knowing her friend would endlessly for sure.

 

"Really? What appointment is it?" Sooyoung crossed her arm, not moving an inch, no matter how Joohyun dragged her. She knew something was up, she leaned forward toward her short friend. "You never dress up for any 'important' occasion."

 

Recalling something, Sooyoung's corner of the lips was tugged up, "I remembered you mentioned Wendy will have a competition."

 

Joohyun, then, mentally cursed herself for slipping it out several days ago, reluctantly nodded with her slightly dusted cheek, couldn't bring herself to face her tall friend.

 

"You have came to a right person." Sooyoung flipped her hair and dragged her short friend to follow her.

 

"I just want to say good luck before the competition starts." Joohyun quickly darted her gaze away when she met eyes with Seungwan.

 

Too shy to see the princess charming in the eyes.

 

Seungwan in sport attire was charismatic and attractive.

 

It was taking Joohyun's breath away.

 

Breathe, Bae Joohyun, breathe.

 

 

"You sent me the message already." Wendy smiled at the shy cheerleader, still couldn't understand why Irene would still be nervous around her.

 

"I want to say it in person." Joohyun flashed a shy smile.

 

"Why don't you give me a good luck charm, then?" Wendy figured to cheerleader again.

 

A game she would never grow tired to play.

 

"W-what good luck charm do you want?" Joohyun was lost at the sudden request, couldn't think of a good luck charm all of sudden.

 

Wendy smirked, using her finger to point her cheek. "Here."

 

Joohyun widened her eyes at Seungwan's request, choked at the request.

 

Obviously, totally, completely, absolutely flustered.

 

Her heart might rib out from her ribcage in any minute.

 

Wendy laughed, totally pleased by the expected reaction from Irene, decided to stop teasing her cheerleader. "It's okay. I'm just-----"

 

But, Joohyun lunged forward and pressed her lips onto the player's cheek.

 

Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter