Page: Zero

Paraproia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 


 

 

 

Bittersweet. The previous night. Ji Eun indeed gave me a warm touch by sharing our laughter, also her clever thought blown my mind and the kiss, I had to admit, it has a special place here in my heart. I smiled remember what just happened on that night: I enjoyed every single talk, every single laugh shared. It just wouldn't erase the fact that I drowned too deep, way too deep as I thought. I spent the rest of that night by drinking some bottles in my room, trying to run away from the pain that squeezed my chest. It was like a bitter pill to swallow.

"Goodbye, Sica. Happy wedding. I wish you all the best in life, even without me."

I took another shot and another one.

 

 


 



I woke up earlier in the morning on that Friday. All the top management would be doing an urgent and secret meeting to talk about the future of the company. I wasn't sure what it was going to be, but I had to come. I had lots of thought in my mind since the last time I spent my days in Jeonju. I remember my lovely mother and what everything she told me. I thought I wouldn't really care about what I was thinking for long, but I think I finally knew what I really wanted to do. I only needed a big push to actually admit it.

The meeting started on time. All the top stakeholders came and Mr. Hwang led the meeting through a Zoom Call. As usual, the meeting started by sharing the monthly report and talked about some initiatives to run, adjusting there and there: a never-ending cycle. I felt my head billowing. It was since long I realized I never belong to be a corporate like I did for years. Slowly but sure,  I gathered both my faith and courage, determined to truly believe what path I would choose for my life, whatever the risks.

"All of you know that I'm in bad condition to lead the company. It seems like I will be spending more time at home in Los Angeles." Mr. Hwang started to talk about the confidential thing he mentioned earlier. Everyone stayed in silence with a serious face, including me. "It took me a long consideration. I will be given the hot seat to this particular person who we know worked extremely hard and dedicated the loyalty to this company."

Everyone in the room glanced at each other.

"I officially appointed Kim Taeyeon-ssi as the interim Chief in Editor while I'm enjoying my sabbatical leave from here." All the eyes were on me. I fell silent, not sure what to react. "Also, I appointed Kim Heechul-ssi to be her vice. I would like to congratulate both of them while wishing them all the best doing the new role for the company. Should you have any questions, please share it now."

Everyone suddenly stood up to give me and Heechul, senior staff who were 1 year different from me, congratulated by clapping from their respective places. My mind was scattered. My intention to propose the work termination that I have been cultivating for a long time was suddenly gone, not because I changed my mind, but because things have become more difficult. I couldn't just resign in front of everyone like that.

As soon as the meeting was over, everyone approached me to congratulate and encourage. I know that integrity will never betray results. I know it. However, that time I really doubted if I could do it. I sat on my seat to release all the burdens I felt when a call went in. An unknown number.

"Hello..."
"Hello..."
"Who is this?"
"I texted you yesterday, you didn't reply." There was disappointment in her voice. I knew who she was. "Guess you really didn't read it."
"I'm sorry, Ji Eun-ssi... I was so busy these days."
"It's okay. I got it, manager-nim..." She acted cutely.
"Where are you?"
"There was a photoshoot canceled suddenly. I was thinking to ask you out, but it looks like you're busy so-"
"I'll pick you up for lunch in 30 minutes. Are you still living at the same hotel?" I interrupted.
"Whoa. You got a big energy there, aren't you?"
"A celebrity phoned me, how could I'm not?"
"Yahhh... You're joking again." She chuckled. "Where are you gonna take me?"
"The best kimchi restaurant in Seoul."
"How do you know I like kimchi?" She got big energy there. "I guess you don't, maybe it's just a random thing."
"In fact, it's not. I know how you like kimchi. You even have a highlight button only for kimchi post, Jieun-ssi." I started to drift away with her. "But unfortunately it seems that you haven't tasted the kimchi from this one particular place."
"You really noticed that? I don't think you're into social medi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter