Jessica XXI - Counterpart

Romantic Street: Crossroad of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blood splattered. So much blood.

Kim Taeyeon continued to assault those men that attacked us. I have not seen a single hint of remorse in his eyes.

It was not the same when Yoong protected me from the thugs way back at the rock band concert. On Taeyeon, it was not only about protecting me. It was like he really wanted to crush the skulls of those men. And then after that... he was not even sorry for what he did. The apology he told me was not really about almost killing those people. It was more of me witnessing it.

I felt scared. So scared. I was not scared of him. I was more of... scared that... scared that he's turning into something... something terrifying.

The chaos of Tiffany's abduction was finally over. She fainted on that day when we finally retrieved her due to an internal hemorrhage in her head. But now, she has finally recovered but still unconscious. After her operation at the rural hospital, she was then transferred to a luxury confinement room in Choi Medical Center.

Yes, the hospital is owned by Sooyoung's family and he generously offered the hospital services for Tiff to be able to recover with utmost care. He didn't want Tiffany to know that it was him and had decided to leave again back to the United States. It seemed he wanted to atone for fooling Tiffany before that he was her prince.

Before I visited Tiffany today, I decided to head to my father, Vincent Jung. I have informed him of what happened to my best friend as well. But actually, there is something else that I wanted to ask him.

"Thank goodness, she's safe." Dad said and sighed deeply. "That girl... always..."

"Always gets into trouble?" I asked.

He sighed again, "Yes. It never changed. It's like trouble is embedded in her life or something."

I sighed too, "Tell me about it. I've never seen such a woman who never runs out of drama in her life. It's like each and every day, something either weird or bad happens to her."

He chuckled and asked, "Aren't you two the same?"

"Not exactly. I mean... Mine's just... sad."

"Are you still sad?"

"Not really."

"Then why are you saying it's sad like as if you're still sad?"

"I could be happier if you're out of here or mom's still alive. I could be happier if we're still complete and happily living like a normal family."

He squinted his eyes as if trying to study me, "Tell me. Is that Yoong boyfriend of yours not making you happy anymore?"

"He always makes me happy, dad. Stop making it look like it's his fault."

"Well, is it not?"

"It's not. I am happy, okay."

"Is he cheating on you?"

"No!"

"Then, what's this?"

"What I am just saying is, I could be happier. Stop adding up colors to what I say."

"Why do you looked so bothered now then?"

"Well..." I breathed deeply. "I actually have something else boggling my head right now."

"Tell me. Let's see if I can help."

"Have you... have you ever felt like you thought you knew someone but it turns out you never knew him at all?"

"Can you elaborate?"

"Like... he's always been this kind of person as how he always shows himself to you. But then, slowly, there's something deeper within that makes you feel scared about him. It's like... that person you once knew isn't exactly the person he really is."

"It's like he's been faking himself to you for so long and everything's just starting to clear up?"

"Yes. Could be that."

"And now you're scared of him?"

"I am not really scared of him. I am just scared that maybe... maybe this will lead him to something terrible."

"I see... that seemed to be unusual."

"What should I do then?"

"Tell me... do you want to save him from it or accept who he is?"

"I... I don't know."

"Just answer in a snap. Save or accept?"

"Save. I don't know..."

"Well... if that's the case... have you tried talking to him about it?"

"He never opens up to me."

"Then, make him trust you."

"How should I do that?"

"Sounds to me this is a long-time friend of yours. I am sure you know how to do that."

"But, what if I will do that, still he wouldn't open up to me?"

"There's no way you will fail unless..."

"Unless what?"

"Unless he doesn't know who he is himself."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's like he is still struggling on figuring out his own self. It's like trying to find the right answers in himself to the point he's covering this uncertainty within him by wrapping himself out with many different shells. It's like even if you peel one shell out, there will always be another."

"So you're saying he's like he's in denial of his own true self?"

"Could be subconsciously in denial."

"So, if that's the case, is there something I can do about it?"

"The same... make him open up to you and help him figure out."

"I see..."

He then smiled as he read through me, "Your Aunt Boa maybe was a genius and taught you how to read everyone's mind. I know you always looked up to her when you were a kid too. But, having someone you are not able to read the mind isn't something you should be frustrated about. It could be that, you found your counterpart."

"C-counterpart?"

"Yeah. Like your opposite. Your complete opposite. Like Yin and Yang. Like the Jedi and the Sith."

I chuckled, "Dad. Stop joking, please."

"I am not kidding, though."

"But what exactly is a counterpart? Someone you couldn't exist without?"

"Could be that."

"Who is your counterpart?"

He smiled gently, "Your mom."

I looked away. "Does it...? Does it always end up together with a counterpart?"

"Well... People in this world have different definitions of a counterpart. Could be a rival. Could be a friend. Could be a best friend. Could be a sister or a brother. Could be a partner. Could be a husband or a wife. All it takes is for you to figure out who he is in your life. It's only you who can say."

 

---

 

My dad sure always sounded philosophical. It's like he always knows the answers to life. But, despite that, could he be right?

It's just something that was boggling me. But why would he bring up that counterpart thing? Wasn't it random? Is he implying Taeyeon might be the one really for me?

But, I am with Yoong now. Yoong makes me so much happy and contented. It's like everything is in the right places when I am with Yoong. Who could Taeyeon be in my life then if he's my counterpart?

I sighed deeply.

Here I go again with the very same dilemma.

I already decided, alright! Why am I confused again?!

Anyway, I am currently here in Tiffany's confinement room. Alone. Yuri was attending some hospital paperwork errands and took Sunkyu with him to buy food for us as well. And my boyfriend, Yoong? He was attending to his ex-girlfriend again. Oh. Right. That could be the reason I am feeling confused again. It's because of that Seohyun.

Though, I don't understand him. He has been too concerned about that girl when in fact, that girl hurt Tiffany so much. My best friend suffered from lots of bruises, bleeding, and fractures because of her.

That girl's psychotic. How could she do that to someone else? And without even feeling sorry for it?

It has then hit me.

Were they the same?

No.

Taeyeon is different from her. She did that to an innocent person. Taeyeon was just trying to defend me, though it went a bit too far. Still, it's not the same.

They're not the same...

I guess... I guess now I understand why Yoong is still attending to that girl. It could be the same concern as I have for Taeyeon. And, after all, she's the three-year ex-girlfriend. How about me? We're just two months dating now.

I... I couldn't help but still feel jealous, though. Yoong's complete attention has always been towards me. Only to me. And now, this?

I sighed deeply. I feel so lonely. My best friend is not even awake yet for me to at least have someone to talk to about all this in my brain.

 

A few moments later, Taeyeon has arrived. It is kind of awkward for us since there's no one around except the two of us and unconscious Tiff.

"Hey." he uttered.

"Hey." I said back. I avoided his gaze and just stared at Tiff.

He decided to take a seat beside me. "Looks like the sleeping beauty will really stay here for days, eh?" he said.

"Yeah..."

"..."

"..."

"Uhhmm... Jessica?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you mad at me?"

I looked at him, "Why would I be mad at you?"

"About..." He avoided my gaze. "About what I did..."

"I'm not exactly in the position to get mad at you for that."

He looked at me again. "Are you scared of me?"

I shook my head. "No."

He smiled faintly then looked away.

I said, "I know you will never hurt me... nor any one of our friends."

"Yes. I never will."

"Then, that's good enough for me. You don't have to stress out yourself for that."

"Thank you..."

"But if ever you..." I breathed deeply. "If ever you want to open up on what's boggling your mind, you can always talk to me."

"..."

"I uhhmmm... I'm a great listener, you know. You can have the option of either me bothering you for everything you share or you can have me not talk at all and just give you a judging look."

He chuckled. He looked at me as if ridiculed, "Is this real? You're making jokes now?"

I glared in return, "I do know how to make jokes, Taeyeon. But I am not joking now, you know."

"Fine. But if ever, can I choose option two but minus the judging look?"

"Hmmm. That's going to be hard. You do know that's my natural look."

We both shared a laugh. "That's true." he said. "It never changed ever since the first time we met."

"It never changed since I was born."

"You don't have to change it, though." He tapped my cheek. "I like you like that."

I felt a bit easy with his sudden gesture. I avoided his gaze. He uttered, "Anyway, can we forget about it for now? I can try to open up to you some other time, I guess?"

"Okay."

"Maybe at dinner tonight?"

I looked at him in confusion, "W-what?"

He smirked at me, "Now what?"

"Are you asking me out?"

He chuckled, "You are so cute. Has it been long since someone courted you or something?"

"Wh-What are you trying to say? That--- "

"That I am serious from that last time, Jessica." He leaned closer and touched my hand.

"About what?"

"You know what I am talking about."

"About you leaving for Busan?"

He chuckled again, sounding as if amused, "About the 'still'."

"Taeyeon. Please." I looked away. "I have a boyfriend."

"You were a playgirl before. You had a boyfriend but that didn't stop you from getting two more." He chuckled again. "Remember you told me that on our second month together?"

"I wasn't serious that time I did that, okay. I am now in a serious relationship."

"But, tell me. Is he really serious on you, though?"

"What do you mean?"

"I am saying, it won't be long when he'll finally realize he's still in love with that Seohyun."

"Yoong never loved that girl. He was just feeling guilty because he broke her heart before."

"You believed that because he told you?"

"Why are you being like this? Yoong's your best friend and you're badmouthing him like that?"

"I am not badmouthing him. I am just saying out loud what I actually see."

"Just stop it. You don't know him. And he'll never lie to me. I would know when he's lying to me. He's not like-- " I looked away. He's not like you...

"Alright. " he said. "If you say so."

I looked at him. "Stop this, Taeyeon. I love him. I am in love with him."

"I'm not saying you don't."

"..."

"But yeah, about that Busan plan of mine. I am still contemplating about it." He then smirked at me again. "But if you don't really want me to go, I won't go. Just tell me."

"Taeyeon. I was also serious about what I said. You can go wherever you want. Live wherever you want."

"I can go or live wherever I want for as long as I tell you where I'll be?"

I looked away. "I am not exactly asking that."

"But that was what you said to me days ago."

"I know but--- " I sighed. "That's not what I really was trying to say."

He then whispered in my ear, "Just tell me you still want me, I'II come running back to you."

Before I could react, he suddenly kissed my cheek and then stood up, "I have to go now." He then went to kiss Tiffany's forehead.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter