Taeyeon II - Sign

Romantic Street: Crossroad of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eleven numbers. 010-2794-1928. Even without looking, I can surely recite this. Well, it's Jessica's phone number. She gave it to me. She gave it to me! For the first time ever, a girl gave me her number!

I never realized this will ever happen to me. This... this really feels so good.

"Oppa." my six-year-old little sister snapped.

"Not now, Sulli-shi."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The smell of fresh air is really good. Now, I'm starting to appreciate life. This really feels so good.

"Mom already left for work, oppa."

"Okay."

"And Dambi-unnie too."

"Okay."

"Jongin-oppa called earlier and asked for you too. I said you are busy."

"Okay."

"Oppa, you are really weird."

"Okay."

"010… 2794192… 8."

I opened my eyes and looked at her. She was looking intently at the paper I am holding.

I hid it in my pocket. "You go play somewhere else, Sulli."

"Is that a girl's phone number?!" she asked excitedly.

"Sulli-shi, just go. Leave me."

Her eyebrows furrowed, "But, why aren't you calling her yet?"

"I… I just…" I sighed deeply. "It's hard."

"What's hard?"

I knelt to be on her eye level, "Just leave Taeyeon-oppa, okay? I need to concentrate here."

"On what? Watching the sky?"

"Yes. Yes. Just--"

"Oppa, can I go play outside?"

"Wh-who are you with?"

"Sunkyu-oppa, Baekhyun-oppa, and Chanyeol-oppa."

"Wait. You don't have girl friends?"

"I do."

"Then, why do you prefer to hang out with those boys?"

"Because they liked me so much. Dambi-unnie said I should not be rude to my suitors so, I'm hanging out with them."

"No. I will not allow you. Mom will surely get mad at me if I let you go out alone."

"Then, come with us!"

"I am busy here, okay. Can't you see it?"

"But, oppa. You can just watch the skies and dream about that girl there instead of here."

Hmmm. She's right.

"Okay. But before 4 pm, we should be home, okay?"

"Okay!"

 

---

 

We arrived at the park. Immediately, my sister went to find her friends and started to play with them. I then noticed on one of the benches, my best friend, Kwon Yuri, was there too. I guess he's accompanying Sunkyu on his playtime. 

Yuri is the very first and only friend I ever had. Well, no one really wanted to be friends with me saying I'm weird and such. Though, I really do admit that. But, he accepted me wholeheartedly.

We became friends four years ago. Our friendship has lasted this long despite the fact we don't have common interests.

We met in front of his truck-turned-apartment. He was selling fish as his business at that time and asked me if I wanted to buy one. I refused but then decided to drag me to his home and let me eat the fish dish he prepared. It was actually to convince me from buying fish from him. But yeah, it turned out he just wanted to be friends with me since he noticed, every time I walk by the street where he runs his business, I am always alone and aloof from everyone else. Such a good guy, isn't he?

Oh. How old were we during that time?

Fourteen.

Yes, fourteen and he was already making a living on his own. Not to mention, he's not only raising himself but as well as that little six-year-old kid who's currently playing with my sister, Sunkyu. Yuri said he was his younger brother. The kid grew up seeing him as his father though.

The reason for his current situation is because, when he was twelve, his parents died from a car accident and followed by their grandmother who died from the disease when he was fourteen. He never wanted to end up living in a social welfare institution, though. So he decided to run away from the government officials and managed his and Sunkyu's life on his own. He got part-time jobs here and there while running his own fish-selling business. But despite that, he is still studying and not to mention, acing his academics too while working.

Cool, isn't he?

I sighed deeply.

I wish I could be more like him. Strong. Smart. Independent. Full of courage. Yes... I am his complete opposite. I am a hell of a coward... and not so blessed with intelligence...


Yuri was busy on his pen and sketchpad. He seemed to look too serious on it. "Hey, Yuri." I greeted as I approached him.

He gazed at me then, finally smiled, "Hey, Taeyeon." He focused back on what he was previously doing. It's another moment of his usual hobbies, sketching. He always sketches this girl of his dreams ever since he was twelve, I guess. Yes, only in his dreams. He never met her.

I sat beside him. "How many sketches do you have of that girl already?" I asked.

"87." he answered casually while still busy on his sketch.

"Do you happen to know her name?" I asked.

He chuckled, "No, Taeyeon." He looked at me, "You've been asking me that for years already." He redirected back on sketching.

"Yeah, I know. I just want to ask just in case in your recent dreams, she finally told you her name."

He sighed deeply. "No."

"I see..."

The girl he was sketching is actually kind of pretty. She got a beautiful smile and I guess one of her distinct features are her eyes forming like crescents as she smiles. Half of my best friend's sketches depict that and right now, that's the expression of hers which he is sketching.

I stand corrected. There is one common thing about us. He got this weird side. He has been fond of this imaginary person for years.


He then stopped and stared at Sunkyu, his son.  It seemed that thoughts have clouded his mind.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"He asked for his mother."

"Oh."

"..."

"And what did you say?"

"I told him..." He lifted his sketch, showing it to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter