Chapter Four

The Sassy Secretary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Though there were some hiccups in between, the camping ended on a good note nonetheless. Jiyong, after hearing Yoona's advice, had a men's talk with Lee Soohyuk. Despite being good friends, Jiyong was sure to put on a brotherly figure as he lectured Lee Soohyuk and the latter did not fool around either, giving him his words that he was serious about Yuri and he would change his habit. 

 

A happy ending for all. 

 

"Im Yoona!" 

 

"Yah, which part of 'please knock before you come in' did you not get? I'm now 90% positive that your business degree was bought by Uncle Kwon. You can’t even understand simple english for god's sake." 

 

Jiyong plunged himself into the empty space beside Yoona while she rolled her eyes, putting her book away. 

 

"Don't put your valedictorian's aura on me. You know it will never work~" Jiyong rested his head behind his arms as he laid on her bed. 

 

"What brings the almighty Kwon Jiyong here instead of going to the club? The night is still young you know." 

 

"Nahs, there's a meeting with appa tomorrow morning, don't land me into trouble, you imp," Jiyong snorted before becoming serious. "Anyway, I just want to say thank you..." 

 

"Eh? Almighty GM conveying his thanks? Wow, I'm flattered." 

 

"Don't ruin everything, Im Yoona," Jiyong narrowed his eyes. 

 

"Oops~ Someone is so pettyyyyy~" Yoona stuck her tongue out cutely before breaking into a gentle smile. "You're welcome~" 

 

"You know, appa was so hilarious," Jiyong chuckled. "He was fine with Soohyuk because his family is rich and that he is good friends with Uncle Lee, so Yul is gonna still lead a comfortable life after she got married. He already thought about marrying his daughter off you know." 

 

"Maybe he thinks Soohyuk oppa will be that guy for Yul. You know, Uncle Kwon always have an eye for people~" 

 

"Just like how he decided to take you in?" 

 

Yoona fell silent for a moment. 

 

"Happy twenty years anniversary, Im Yoona~" 

 

Yoona was taken aback. She looked at the calendar and it dawned on her. 

 

1 February 2018. 

 

It has been twenty years. A whole long twenty years since she became a part of the Kwons. To keep it simple, she was being abandoned. As far as she could remember, she thought she had a happy childhood. But who knew that it was just all a facade? 

 

-1 February 1997-

 

Little Im Yoona led a carefree life. Mr and Mrs Im were loving; Mrs Im cooked nice food for her while Mr Im played with her, treating her like a princess. Though they were not exactly rich, there were sufficient food to go around and she was genuinely happy. Her parents portrayed a pair of couple in front of her and she felt that she was the most prized possession that her parents had.

 

Until the year that she hit seven. 

 

It was a typical school day and little Yoona was running back home excitedly. It's first day of a new month; this meant it would be 'Yoona special day', a day where her parents would fulfill one of her wishes. No matter what she wants, she would get it.

 

"Appa, umma, I'm home!" 

 

However, what welcomed her home wasn't her lovey-dovey parents, but her mother's tear-stained face and her father's darkened expression. 

 

"U-Umma...?" Little Yoona called out timidly as she saw her mother dragging her luggage with her. "Y-You're going somewhere?" 

 

"Yoona ah, listen well. Umma is going off to somewhere far. You be good and I'll be back okay?" 

 

"Y-Yoona wants to go too!" Little Yoona began to panic as she held onto her mother's wrist, tears threatening to fall. 

 

"L-Let go Yoona! I can no longer stand this house anymore! I want to leave!" 

 

"No! Umma! No!" The tears started falling, the sobbings became loud wails as little Yoona clung onto her mother's leg tightly, refusing to let go. 

 

"Yah! Let go of her! Let this leave!" Her father shouted as he pried them away harshly. "Get the hell out of here!" 

 

"Umma!!" 

 

As much as she struggled in her father's arms, it was futile. Her mother grabbed her luggage and left, not turning her head back at all.

 

In that house that was supposed to be filled with warmth and laughter, it had changed overnight. Her father became a drunkard, getting himself drunk in broad daylight. Little Yoona became the caretaker of the house; at the age of 8, she cooked, she cleaned and took care of her father. 

 

She remained the positive vibe in her and when she thought she would be living this life with her father, she was in for another blow.

 

She came home from school one day and was met with an empty house. She did not find anything amiss, assuming that her father had once again went out for a drink. However, a night passed, her father did not return. 

 

Two nights passed, still no sight of her father.

Three nights, she started to panic. 

Four nights... she went to various of his drinking places to look for him. 

Five nights... Six. Seven. Eight.

 

Tenth. 

 

She came to the realisation that she had been abandoned. Twice. 

 

She did not dare to report to the authorities, fearing that they would put her into an orphanage. Despite her young age, little Yoona was stubborn. She had seen those orphans in the school being bullied, being judged and she knew she would not want to end up like them. Thankfully for her, the house loan was fully paid and hence she began to survive on her own. She dug out all the savings that she could find in the house and began her solitude life.

 

Eventually, the electric

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter