Chapter 24: Chase The Truth

I'll Search (Twice's Jihyo x You)

Jisoo's POV


*FLASHBACK*


"Okay class, we're gonna have an activity. You are going to perform a character impersonation.", our teacher discussed. "It's just an acting. This will be your project and it is also considered to be an audition for the Junior Naver on our school festival next month."


Character impersonation? But, I'm a shy type of person. What should I act out and how could I perform well?


"Jisoo, come here now please.", Ms. Bae called me. "I'm going to assign you the character you are going to act out."


I hesitated for a moment but eventually stood up and walked slowly towards our teacher. This ain't hard, I guess?


"You are going to perform Cinderella."

"But, Ms. Bae, I'm not confident enough to perform.", I reasoned out.

"Don't worry Jisoo! I'll train you. You are just going to perform here inside the classroom. You are only surrounded by your classmates.", she smiled at me.

 

 

After dismissals, I would always go to Ms. Bae to practice. I haven't changed my attitude. I'm still the same me. I just want to improve myself.


"Are you ready to perform now Jisoo?", Ms. Bae tapped my shoulder. 

"I'll do my best Ms. Bae. Thank you very much.", I stood up and performed in front of some teachers who were judges also.

"I'm so proud of you my baby.", my mom sat beside me as soon as I'm done with my performance. "I hope you'll win this!"

"But Mom! If I'm going to win this, I will perform up the stage next time! I don't want that to happen.", I pouted.

"Ms. Bae will always coach you, right? There's no need to worry then.", she comforted me.

"Please go back to your seats as we are going to announce the winner in a minute.", Ms. Bae called us.

"Fighting!", Mom motioned as she went back on her chair.

"And the winner is...", Ms. Bae paused for a moment. "Jisoo!"

"Eh?!", I yelled.

"That's my child everybody! I'm so proud of my baby!", Mom cheered. 

"I'm here to train you again Jisoo.", Ms. Bae whispered to me.


This is my first time to show off myself. I cannot call this as a talent so I should call this as a skill I've developed.

 

 


The big day is here. The audiences were not just my simple grouchy classmates. The whole people in the school will witness this. I'm so nervous.


"Calm down Jisoo.", Ms. Bae gave me a water. "You chose this story, right? You chose your character, right? Then, portray it as your own! Dominate the stage!"

"I don't know Ms. Bae. This is not the same as what I have acted in the classroom.", I frowned. "I never should've entered such competition."

"There's no backing out anymore Jisoo. You trained hard for this. You went home late because of this. Are you just going to let it all go?", Ms. Bae said. "Wherever Y/N is right now, I'm sure she'll be proud of you. She'll be amazed that she have such a friend who's brave enough to show off her talent."


Mentioning Y/N made me feel the emptiness on my surroundings. What if she's here? Would she support me too? My blood pressure is rising. I'm mad at her for leaving me. At the same time, I'm also sad cause I'd want her to be here. 


"The next performer, let us call on...", the emcee's microphone echoed. "Park Jisoo!"


Slowly and slowly, I step towards the center of the stage. This is all new to me. The spotlights are showing me off as if I'm elegant. I chose this story. The snow queen. My favorite story that I shared with Y/N. The story about friendship. The story of losing a friend. I chose this cause this story resembles our story.


"Our roses! Poor roses, poor Kai."


Yes, Y/N. Our promises. Our moments. Have you forgotten them?


"Will Kai really never return?! If Kai is alive – I should find Kai!"


If ever you wont return again, then let me be the one to search for you. I'll get you back. You'll return to me.


"Kind woman, tell me please, where can I find Kai?"


I've got no one to ask to but I'll still try my best and I'm going to ask every species here in this world just to get an information about you.


"Kai, I have found you!"


I haven't yet but sooner, I hope I will.


"Have you really forgotten me?! It’s me, Gerdah. Do you remember our roses?"


This story is way out of line. You have never forgotten me, right? Or maybe you are just forcing yourself to forget me?


"At last you have recognized me!"


Hey! Why is do I even have this line? For future purposes? True, you will recognize me and you will come back to me. 


"What a wonderful fragrance! And now there are also fine flower blossoms above our heads."


Finally, it's the ending. My favorite story that's like our story. I did my best for you. 

 

 


"Why haven't I won? Why am I only on the second place?", I cried at mom backstage when the winners were announced.

"Baby, don't worry! There's a lot of opportunities you're going to take.", Mom pinched my cheeks and wiped my tears. "All I know was that you were the best. Ms. Bae told me that one of the judges was an aunt of that champion. It's normal. You know. The world could be cruel sometimes but I'm here for you baby. You need help from other people as you grow up. Don't let the world see your tears. Don't let them see your weakness."

"Annyeong! You are Jisoo, right?", a man in expensive tuxedo came to us. "Well, I watched your performance and indeed, it was incredible. So, I'm from JYP entertainment and of course Mrs. Park, I would like to recruit your daughter on our agency."


What?! JYP entertainment would like to recruit me? This is insane. It's a big entertainment and it is very famous. 


"I'd talk to my daughter first Sir.", mom smiled at the man.

"Oh sure. I just want to congratulate your daughter and she deserves more than the second place. Her emotions were very true. We got goosebumps on her performance. It was pleasing.", he gave us a calling card. "Anyways, whatever your decision is Ms. Park, just feel free to call us anytime and we we will settle this. Goodbye for now. Thank you."


Just like that, the man walked away leaving me and my mother stunned by his presence. Mom suddenly faced me.


"So? What do you think about this Jisoo?"

 

 

I've been training for 7 years already and I feel bad that my training is very long. I really want to debut now but they say patience is a virtue. The reason that I decided to enter this entertainment was because of Y/N. Cause maybe if she'll see me on the TV, she'll finally have the guts to meet me.


"You say, I only hear what I want to.", I started to sing while I'm alone in the practice room. "You say, I talk so all the time. So."


I kept on singing and expressing myself on the song that I didn't realize someone was listening. That person didn't sing along.


"Woah! Jisoo! I never thought that your voice would be that good!", PD-nim clapped his hands.

"Oh! PD-nim! You gave me a heart attack!", I frowned. "Well, not so. I'm just drowning my emotions."

"Since you were young, your emotions were truly unbelievable. Everybody loves that part of you.", he started talking. "But, your voice. It's really good! What should we do about that?"

"Why? What should we do?", I asked him.

"Why don't you try being an idol instead?", he offered.


An idol? Would it be better if I'm going to be an idol? Would she recognize me well if I'll be a Kpop star than an actress?


"Give me some time to think about this please.", I bowed at him.

"Sure."

 

 

I trained for 3 years just to be a Kpop star. With a total of 10 years of training, I want to give up now. I looked at your picture and that's the reason why I won't although I hate you for not seeing me after 10 years have passed by. I will chase the truth.


"Jisoo, you will have a meeting with PD-nim.", a staff called me. "Go now."

"You were called too?", Nayeon unnie joined me as we walked together towards his office.

"Yes, I wonder what is it this time?", I pouted.


We entered his room and there were so many trainees there. I recognize them all and I smiled warmly at them. What is this for?


"So, I guess you're all complete now?", PD-nim said.

"Good morning PD-nim.", we greeted.

"I know you guys went through a lot. To be straight, I am planning to debut a new Kpop group.", he announced as we chatted to each other excitedly. "Another thing, it would be a competition. A survival show called, 'Sixteen'. It will be the survival of the fittest. You may go back to your trainings now. Good luck."

"Umm. PD-nim?", I stayed inside.

"Yes Jisoo?", he looked at me.

"Would it be okay if I'm going to change my name?", I asked him.

"Why?", he was shocked that he clasped his hands on his face.


It's because of my little hatred towards the person who's the reason of this all. I want her to have a hard time knowing me. Let's see if she could recognize me with my new name.


"Nevermind, what name would you want?", he asked. "By the way, you've got to ask your mom too."

"Jihyo. Park Jihyo."

 

 

Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Mingyun went to my home since I asked them to have a dinner with us. They were smiley faces and we were also talking to each other that we have to debut on Twice due to our long trainee years.


"Jisoo? Why did you get so fat?", Jeongyeon blurted out. "Not to offend you. I was just asking."

"Ahh! Let me explain that." Mom smiled at her. "Whenever Jisoo is stressed, she would always eat ice cream. She's also asking me if what flavor she would eat. Is it strawberry or cookies and cream? In the end, she would eat both."


They laughed and I glared at my mom. That's true, I started liking cookies and cream because of Y/N. It's the only memory left by her.

 

 

"Come on now guys! Are you ready?", our manager shouted.

"Yes!", we shouted back.

"That's good! Energy!"


After all the struggles we faced on the Sixteen program, here we are now. We are going to perform our debut song "Ohh Ahh". Well, I could somehow relate on the song so I have to perform this well. Good riddance Y/N.