Introductions

Spades & Hearts

Wooyoung polished the weapon before handing it to Taecyeon. Taecyeon was busy reading a book as he sat on the white sofa in the living room. Wooyoung went inside the house and walked towards him.

"Here." He handed Taecyeon a sword. Taecyeon took it from him and observed the object. The weapon was skillfully made. The silver polished blade, the gold-rimmed handle and he noticed that his name was carved in silver on the grip. He couldn't help but take a moment to admire the sword. Wooyoung was pleased at his own work.

Taecyeon looked up and grinned at Wooyoung. "Wooyoung ah, it's beautiful! I can't believe you're good at doing these kind of stuff. Thank you for the sword."

Wooyoung bashfully smiled. "You're welcome. I created this specially for you since you're my best friend. Maybe, my father passed on his skilful genes to me. No wonder I received such talents from him."

"Yeah, right craftman." Taecyeon stood up and brought his sword with him as he slotted it inside the silver scabbard on his side pocket. Wooyoung dazed at him as he unknowingly headed to the front door. "Woah, woah. Where are you going?" Taecyeon placed his hand on the doorknob while he turned around to face Wooyoung.

"I'm heading to the Palace. Anything wrong?" Wooyoung sighed as he placed both of his hands on his hip.

"Taecyeon, why are you so stubborn? Why do you have to create more problems by going there?"

Taecyeon groaned. "Woo, just let me. I'll be fine." Without any more objections from Wooyoung, he opened the door and made his way to the Palace. Wooyoung's mind was racing as he thought of what might happen to Taecyeon. I hope you won't be a nuisance in the Palace. He scratched the back of his head and continued on making tools in his 'garage'.

Taecyeon passed by the Deck and skipped towards the main gates of the Palace. He was about to enter until a bodyguard appeared in front of him. He stared at the bodyguard as he looked rather familiar to him. The bodyguard stepped forward as he questioned Taecyeon who was trembling.

"Good morning, Sir. Do you have any meeting arranged with the royal highnesses?" the bodyguard asked him. Taecyeon cleared his throat as he thought of a response. "Umm, yes. I have." Taecyeon replied. "Sorry for asking, but do I know you...?"

The bodyguard rose his eyebrow as he stared at Taecyeon. He remembered that Yoona once brought an injured Solitarian here but he didn't know that it was Taecyeon. "I'm sorry, but you're not familiar to me. However, I guess you are the injured Solitarian before?"

"Yes, I am. My name is Ok Taecyeon." Taecyeon reached out his hand.

The bodyguard bowed at him as he shook his hand. "I'm Kim Junsu. Pleasure to meet you, here at the Palace. Alright, you may go inside."

"Oh, thank you." Taecyeon bowed at Junsu before he went inside the Palace. He slowly climbed up the enormous flight of stairs. As he reached the front door, two servants bowed to him as they opened the doors. Taecyeon took a few steps forward as the servants closed the door behind him. He was now, in the living room. He felt that the room had a bigger area than before. The living room was indeed beautifully furnished. The floor was made of white marble and it was shiny, that you could see your own reflection. There were two white luxurious sofas which were by the grand fireplace and a chandelier sparkling from above. There, lay a red carpet stretched along the grand hallway. Taecyeon was impressed of how the Palace was decorated and built. Absurdly luxurious. He was in the Queens' Palace for god's sake, of course everything has to be outstanding.

"Ok Taecyeon-ssi?" Taecyeon turned around and found Yonghwa facing him. "What brings you here?"

"I...uhh, I'm looking for Yoona-ssi." he replied.

"Yoona-ssi? You have a meeting arranged with her? It's strange because the Queens haven't received any requests from any Solitarian recently."

Taecyeon face-palmed himself as he didn't understand what the 'meetings' were. "Well, are the Queens busy?"

Yonghwa nodded. "Apparently, they are busy doing their own trainings. They would most likely not to be disturbed during these activities."

Taecyeon gloomily sighed. "Oh...is that so? Well, I guess I shall leave now." He headed to the front door until Yonghwa mentioned his name.

"Taecyeon-ssi! Let's gather in the living room and I'll introduce the Queens verbally." Yonghwa skipped towards the living room and sat on one of the sofas. Taecyeon did the same as he sat beside him. Yonghwa pulled out a book from a table in the drawer, which looked more like a journal. He flipped through pages and stopped at a certain page. 'The Queens' was written down on the page. Yonghwa turned to look at Taecyeon.

"Actually they are just pictures. Let me introduce them to you one by one." Yonghwa turned to the next page and it was the picture of Taeyeon. Yonghwa cleared his throat before he began.

"Alright, we're going in sequence from oldest to youngest. So this is Taeyeon-ssi, the leader of the Queens. She has a very humble and kind personality despite the fact that she is strict most of the time. Now, each Queen has one special ability. Taeyeon-ssi has the ability to read a mortal's mind, so we servants are very cautious of what we think everytime we are around her. She is also the wisest among the nine. Jessica-ssi is gentle but arrogant. All of us do not underestimate her own opinions since she has the ability to inflict pain. Horrifying enough, but she only uses it under urgent matters. Sunny-ssi is a very reliable and understanding lady. She has the sense of ability to abstain from any danger which is very useful to protect the people around her. Tiffany-ssi has a very outgoing personality and she has the ability to teleport. Hyoyeon-ssi is the mischievious Queen. But she turns serious once problems are discussed. She has the ability to immobilize a mortal, which we find quite creepy. Yuri-ssi has a seductive and charming personality and her ability is speed. Sooyoung-ssi is meticulous and perceptive. She has the ability to inflict weakness to any mortal. And we have Yoona-ssi the most protective Queen out of the nine. She cares a lot for her sisters and would do anything to protect them. Her ability is strength which we find simply aggressive. The last Queen, Seohyun-ssi is the most innocent and conducive among her sisters, also she is a psychic the one who can foresee of what's going to happen in the future. Nevertheless, the Queens have such fascinating abilities. Don't you agree Taecyeon-ssi?" Yonghwa turned to look at the confused Taecyeon who just spaced out.

"Do they have any common abilities?" Taecyeon asked a question out of the blue. Yonghwa thought for a minute.

"Yes, they do. Their only common ability is hypnotism. So, beware of their own actions." Yonghwa closed the book and rubbed his eyes. Taecyeon was aroused in his deep thoughts. Intriguing. They have such abilities. Yonghwa glanced at his watch.

"Now, if you may excuse me. I have to continue my errands."

"Yonghwa! Do you happen to know where Yoona is?"

"Yoona-ssi? She's training at the garden, in the backyard. Walk through the hallway and turn left. But don't disturb her Taecyeon!" With that, Yonghwa headed to the kitchen while Taecyeon strode to the backyard. He turned left and opened the door. He squinted his eyes as he adjusted in the blinding light. You call this a backyard?! The garden looked more like an exhibit as the area was eminently wide. There was an orchard planted in neat rows and columns at the left side of the garden. The right side of the garden was an exposed area, which is surrounded by a white fence. He noticed a small white shelter which was covered by a dome that was surrounded by a pond and a woman practicing some forms of attack with a spade (foil). Taecyeon smirked as he strode towards the woman. He quietly sneaked up behind the her.

"Hello Spade Queen." The woman jolted as she turned around and pointed her spade towards him. Taecyeon dodged as he took a step backward. "Woah! Your highness, it's me!" Gosh, Yonghwa was right.

"Taecyeon? What are you doing here?" Yoona dropped her spade as she crossed her arms.

Taecyeon sheepishly smiled. "I had a meeting earlier and I came to this place, unknowingly." He lied as he was afraid that she might attack.

"Oh...welcome to my training place. I would prefer not to be disturbed though. But since you accidentally came here then, consider yourself lucky. However, your consequence would be a duel with me." She stuck out her tongue at him.

"But you said, that-" Without hesitation, Yoona attacked Taecyeon while he took out his sword. Both of them attacked each other with their weapons as Yoona dodged every charge by Taecyeon. The blades were clattering as both of them attacked continuously. Taecyeon couldn't think straight as he purposely pinned Yoona to the ground. He grabbed both of her wrists as both of them tried to catch their breath. He was on top of her while their faces were just inches apart. Yoona was astonished and tried to break free from his hold. Taecyeon released his hands from her wrists and slowly stood up. Yoona stood up while she adjusted her own gown and hair.

"My apologies, Yoona-ssi." Taecyeon bowed while he slotted his sword inside his scabbard. A slight smile passed over Yoona's face. "I couldn't believe I lost to a Solitarian. Looks like, I found a worthy opponent. Impressive for a beginner." she praised him out of courtesy.

"I thought, you're ability is strength? Why didn't you make a move?"

"Because, I wouldn't dare to harm you. You're innocent enough to be hurt. Anyway, care for a snack?" She placed the spade inside her scabbard as she ran inside the Palace. Taecyeon did the same as he catched up with her.

At last, we found a worthy Soldier. Interesting. I guess it will be easier to find the other Soldiers now. Taeyeon clicked her tongue as she observed the duel earlier, grinning in satisfaction.

 

______________________________________