Troubled

Spades & Hearts

The alarm clock had been ringing for the past ten minutes. Taecyeon sat up slowly and rubbed his sleepy eyes. He checked the time and his eyes widened. He quickly jumped off the bed and rushed to the bathroom. He took a quick shower and brushed his teeth. Heading to his closet, he took out a white blouse, a tie and a pair of brown pants. Without a minute to waste, he dressed up swiftly, wore his shoes and grabbed his black back-pack. Before he left, he snatched a comb from his drawer. He was late for work. Again. On the way, he combed his dishevelled hair and started to make his way to his workplace. Twenty minutes later, he reached his destination. He walked briskly to the lift and went to the 20th floor. He doubted that his boss was going to reprimand him again as he had been late for countless times. 

The lift doors opened. Taecyeon slowly made his way to his boss's office. He took a deep breath and stepped inside. As soon as he knew it, a pair of eyes focused on him sternly. Taecyeon panicked and sat across his boss. Silence and tension filled the room.

"You're late again, Mr Ok." his boss said in a stern manner. Taecyeon thought of a valid reason.

"There was a traffic that delayed me to come here." Taecyeon stuttered. He could feel his boss flushing with anger.

"Then you should have come earlier than usual. You know that it's better to be early than late."

"My apologies Mr Yang." Taecyeon bowed continuously. The boss took off his glasses and exhaled. He looked at Taecyeon and shook his head.

"How many more apologies Taecyeon-ssi? You gave me the same response and I returned countless chances of yours. I cannot bare with it any longer. You know that I won't let you go easily this time. I'm afraid that I have to fire you Ok Taecyeon. I appreciate your contributions here in my company for the past 2 years. I didn't want this but you forced me to. Now if you may excuse me, I have documents to review. You may clear your desk and leave." Taecyeon spaced out when his boss said those words. He stood up quietly and bowed before he left the room. He took all his belongings at his desk and left the building. He went back to his dorm to place all his stuff. Taecyeon became more sullen after losing his job. How lucky of me, he thought sarcastically.

An hour later, someone knocked on the door. Taecyeon dragged his feet towards the door, only to find out that he was facing the owner of his dorm. The owner of his dorm complained that he was not paying his monthly rental fees anymore. Unfortunately, Taecyeon was forced to leave the dorm as the owner did not extend or postpone his debts. Taecyeon clenched his fists. However he did not want to argue with the owner since it was useless. He packed his things in both of his luggage and back-pack. He looked around his room for the last time before he went to another place. He thought of where to live. He just can't sleep at a random place and to the fact that he did not have much money left in his wallet. He wondered when his luck ran out because his life had been almost a mess. Without hesitation, he headed to his parents' house. Taecyeon does not usually go to his parents' house often because of his unresolved argument with his father. He just hated thinking about it. He wouldn't be surprised if his father won't let him live in their house. He just wanted to try. Two hours later, he alighted from the bus and walked towards the direction of his house. There it was. The house didn't change though. It was the same blue-painted roof, the yellow fence that surrounded the house and his backyard. Memories of his childhood days flashed in his mind. He smiled. He walked to the front door and pressed the doorbell. A man who is in his mid-forties opened the door. Taecyeon bowed infront of his father. Mr Ok was rather confused and irritated, obvious that he didn't welcome his son's presence.

"What brings you here?" Mr Ok questioned.

"I came back. If you don't mind." Taecyeon replied.

"How daring of you to say that. I'm sorry but I don't remember having a son like you." Mr Ok closed the door without hesitation while Taecyeon held him back. He saw his mother coming towards their way.

"Umma..." Taecyeon stared at her mother. She was still a beautiful young lady who is in her mid-thirties.

"Taecyeon-ah!" cried Mrs Ok as she hugged Taecyeon desperately. He hugged back as he smiled.

"I missed you." he almost whispered.

"I'm glad you're back." a tear escaped from Mrs Ok's eyes. Taecyeon wiped it away with his thumb. Mr Ok stood there in annoyance.

"He ain't allowed to live here." Mr Ok disturbed them.

"Honey, what are you talking about? Taecyeon has nowhere else to live! Let him stay here with us." Mrs Ok fought back to her husband.

"Unless he returns us a sincere apology, he isn't allowed in our house." Mr Ok glared at his own son. Taecyeon sighed.

"Umma, I guess I can't stay here. Don't worry I'll return when I'm ready. Just not now." Taecyeon said to his mother. He shot a glance to his father.

"I reject your father's statement. You stay with us." Mrs Ok held Taecyeon's hand. He shook his head in disapproval as he knew that things won't work out between his father if he would stay here. He hugged his mother and quietly bowed infront of his father. Mr Ok stormed out of the living room as he went upstairs. Mrs Ok sighed as she knew things were still not right. She gave a sum of money to Taecyeon before he left.

It was already five in the eveing and the sky turned into a light shade of orange and purple. Taecyeon went to a nearby park from his house and sat quietly on a bench near a cherry blossom tree. He lowered his head down as he sighed uncontrollably. He didn't know what to do and where to go. He scratched the back of his head and stared at his surroundings. The park was pretty quiet and calm. He liked the feeling. No busy roads, polluted air and worries. Suddenly, an old man who was wearing a pair of gold-rimmed glasses approached him. He sat beside Taecyeon.

"Are you depressed, young man? Any troubles lately?" the old man asked out of curiosity. Taecyeon frowned as he thought this man was stalking him but he wasn't that rude to ignore.

"I'm just tired actually. Many complicated things happened to me in just one day..." Taecyeon replied. The old man smirked.

"Life is too short to worry about complicated things and to be depressed. You should always think positive and start doing the right things! Sooner or later you will find a way to solve your problems boy," the old man exclaimed. Taecyeon rose his eyebrow.

"How did you know that?" he asked. The old man stood up and smiled.

"Let's start a new adventure. Shall we?" the old man started to walk towards the cherry blossom tree. Surprisingly, Taecyeon followed him.

"What's with you and trees?" asked Taecyeon. The old man laughed.

"Here, take this." the old man handed a necklace to him. Scrutinizing its features, there was a small figure of a spade attached to the necklace.

"What's this?" he asked the old man.

"Wear it as soon as you start your new adventure my boy! Have a safe trip!" the old man clasped his hands in excitement. Taecyeon was confused, thinking that the old man was crazy. Adventure? He started to wonder. As soon as he knew it, the harsh wind blew and the leaves were spinning continuously. Taecyeon couldn't see his surroundings as he felt himself spinning. He felt dizzy and out.

Taecyeon's eyes fluttered. He stood up quickly. He searched his surroundings and found himself in an isolated forest. Where in the world am I? he thought. He noticed his back-pack wasn't with him. Just great. he shouldn't have talked to that crazy old man. He started to wonder where he was and where to go. He was in a forest for god's sake. How could he find his way anyway. A figure of a young man started to walk towards his direction. Taecyeon scratched his head. The young man came nearer and stopped. He was just a metre away from Taecyeon. Observing the new lad, he wore a white blouse with a vest, a pair of grey pants and grey shoes. Taecyeon thought that he was going to some sort of wedding. The young man nodded in satisfaction as he stared at Taecyeon.

"A freshman from the outside world. Interesting. Please come with me," the young man mentioned Taecyeon to follow him as he started to walk towards a certain direction. Taecyeon hesitated at first but he wouldn't want to be stuck here in this eerily quiet forest. He catched up with the young man, as thousands of questions filled his mind.

 

 

_________________________________________