Determined

Spades & Hearts

"Yoona," Taecyeon whispered carefully as they stared at the beautiful sunset from the balcony.

"Yes?"

He bit his lower lip and turned to face her. "Can I ask you a question?"

She nodded. "Sure, go ahead."

"I know that we have known each other for only some time ago but...I think I have-"

When Taecyeon was about to finish his sentence, Yoona started laughing hysterically. He was puzzled and grabbed hold of her arms as he shook her lightly.

"Yoona...is there something wrong? What did I do? Yoona?" he stared in her doe-like eyes but she didn't respond nor look back at him.

Suddenly, Yoona collapsed onto the floor with Taecyeon catching her in time. He patted her cheek and yelled her name desperately. However, the Kings appeared in front of him with sinister smiles plastered onto their faces. Yoona surprisingly stood up, and headed towards Donghae's side. Taecyeon blinked as he couldn't believe his eyes. Yoona...what's happening? The Kings smirked as all of them broke into laughter with Yoona giggling as well.

"Oh, Taecyeon-ssi. How silly of you to think that Yoona would actually be with you. They're with us for god's sake!" Leeteuk held his stomach tightly as he couldn't control his laughter. Taecyeon felt his whole world falling apart as hatred and humiliation mixed up his feelings. With that, he felt that his surroundings were changing and Yoona was fading in his sight. He shook his head as he stood up and chased for Yoona, but she disappeared in a blink of an eye.

"Yoona...Yoona...No way...YOONA NO!"

Taecyeon screamed out loud, gasping for air. He sat upright and looked around the circumstances. Beads of perspiration formed on his forehead as he wiped it off with his hand quickly.

"Relax. I guess that was your 4th nightmare perhaps." Taecyeon jolted up in his position and found Wooyoung sitting on a sofa, nearby his bed.

"Oh...it's just you."

Wooyoung snickered and went over to Taecyeon and sat at the edge of the bed. "Taeyeon ordered me to monitor you."

"What? Why?"

"That's because you fell back asleep after every nightmare so something was wrong."

"Is that so?" Taecyeon mumbled.

"Trust me, you were dreaming all the time. So, are you really going to wake up now?"

Taecyeon clenched his fists as he exhaled. "Yes, I'm wide awake right now."

Wooyoung rose an eyebrow. "Let me check then." He pinched his arm and Taecyeon whined lightly.

"Yah, what are you trying to do?!"

"I'm just checking whether you're wide awake! Now how many fingers do you see?" Wooyoung held up none.

Taecyeon frowned since he saw nothing. "You're not even holding up any."

"Alright. You're good." Wooyoung stretched his arms and yawned in relief. "Get up and have breakfast. We have a long day."

Wooyoung stood up while Taecyeon was confused. Before Wooyoung left he called out his name.

"Wait, what for?"

Wooyoung smiled and replied, "Final training. So let's go."

Taecyeon groaned and got up from bed, preparing himself for the day ahead.

 

-At the dining room-

"Thank you very much, Jisoo." Taeyeon bowed her head slightly while the young man served her plate. The dining table was alive since the Soldiers and Queens were engrossed into their own conversations. Taecyeon and Wooyoung came in out of a sudden and the chattering died down as all eyes were focusing on them.

"Well, good morning!" Wooyoung exclaimed in excitement while the others greeted back cheerfully. Taecyeon kept silent as he observed the others. It was strange since the Soldiers were seating next to their partners, the Queens.

"Come Taecyeon-ssi, sit next to Wooyoung." Taeyeon mentioned him over to his own seat. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Just a bit. I kept on having nightmares recently."

"Don't worry, it's just that your brain is replaying the incident that had happened in the rooftop that day."

He sighed as he forced himself to eat, even though he wasn't hungry at all. Taeyeon looked up and announced, "Eat more guys. It will be heavy training for today, so stuff yourself up and give it your best shot for today's final duel."

"Yes, Taeyeon-ssi~" Everyone replied in unison and continued eating. Taecyeon was amazed how cheerful his best friends still were even in a situation like this. I guess their motivations came from the royal highnesses. Lucky for him that is. Motivation? He might have guessed that, that word didn't even exist in his dictionary for now though. After breakfast, everyone made their way towards the combat room.

"Remember that each and every one of your training skills and abilities are needed in the battle. Your skills are your only chance of survival. We are the only people who represent the Solitaire and its future is in our hands. The Kings have hundreds of Jesters defending them so, train well for today and we'll have the final duel to occur later on." Taeyeon's voice echoed across the whole room and everyone started immediately. Each Soldier encountered their personal trainer, which were the Queens. In the mean time, Taecyeon trained with Wooyoung and Taeyeon since Yoona wasn't with him for now.

While the rest were engrossed in their own trainings, Taecyeon stared blankly at Wooyoung and Taeyeon. He observed the two and wondered how good-looking they were being together, not in fighting terms, but for both of them being comfortable with each other of course. He imagined himself with Yoona fighting like how Wooyoung and Taeyeon did. Smiling, smirking and even laughing at times like they're just having fun. He first remembered when he visited Yoona at the garden...

 

*Flashback*

"Hello Spade Queen." The woman jolted as she turned around and pointed at her spade towards him. Taecyeon dodged as he took a step backward. "Woah! Your highness, it's me!" Gosh, Yonghwa was right.

"Taecyeon? What are you doing here?" Yoona dropped her spade as she crossed her arms.

Taecyeon smiled sheepishly. "I had a meeting earlier and I came to this place, unknowingly," he lied as he was afraid that she might attack him.

"Oh...welcome to my training place. I would prefer not to be disturbed though. But since you came here accidentally, then consider yourself lucky. (Picked up her spade) However, your consequence would be." She stuck out her tongue at him.

"But you said that-" Without hesitation, Yoona attacked Taecyeon while he took out his sword. Both of them attacked each other with their weapons as Yoona dodged every charge by Taecyeon. The blades were clattering as both of them fought continuously. Taecyeon couldn't think straight as he pinned Yoona to the ground. He grabbed both of her wrists and both of them tried to catch their breaths. He was on top of her while their faces were just inches apart. Yoona swallowed carefully and attempted to struggle from his hold. Taecyeon blushed, releasing his hands from her wrists at the same time. Both of them stood up slowly as Yoona adjusted her gown and hair.

"My apologies Yoona-ssi." Taecyeon bowed while he slotted his sword inside his scabbard. A slight smile passed over Yoona's face. "I couldn't believe I lost to a Solitarian. Looks like, I found a worthy opponent. Impressive for a beginner," she praised him out of courtesy.

*End*

 

"Yah! Day dreaming all over again..." Wooyoung snapped a finger in front of him.

"What did I miss?"

"Tae's explanations."

"Oh..."

Taeyeon shook her head and gazed at Taecyeon. He must be thinking about Yoona again. Poor him... She stepped forward towards Taecyeon and smiled.

"Come, Taecyeon-ssi. Let's attack Wooyoung together." she snickered.

"WHAT?!" yelled Wooyoung who can't believe that Taeyeon was actually ditching him.

She held his shoulder and whispered in his ear, "Give him a chance. Yoona's not around remember?"

"Ah...I get it." he chuckled quietly to himself. "Taecyeon hyung! Let's train together!"

Taecyeon blinked in confusion, while Taeyeon grabbed his hand and led him onto the training mat.

Taeyeon instructed him to watch what she was doing and he simply followed her instructions and tips thoroughly. Wooyoung felt dizzy as he got punched and kicked lightly by Taecyeon and Taeyeon but for him, it was just pure torture. Wooyoung acted like he fainted onto the mat as he panted heavily. Taecyeon and Taeyeon giggled towards his actions. After hours of training, the Soldiers proceeded with the final duels, while the Queens observed them. The Soldiers were fully prepared since the Queens all gave them positive feedback and thumbs up.

"All right everyone. It has been an exhausting day indeed and I believe that all of you are starving right now so, wash up and you may rest and even eat dinner early, if you'd like though."

Taeyeon glanced at the group in front of her as they nodded quietly.

 

-At the living room, 8pm-

It was after dinner and the Soldiers and Queens were playing 'Truth or Dare' as they needed some time to enjoy and relax. They used an empty bottle of wine as the spinner. After a couple of rounds to brighten the mood, the bottle pointed at Chansung and everyone asked him a witty question.

"Fine...truth."

"Chansung ah, do you have any feelings towards any Queen ever since the day that we had stayed here in the Palace?" the Soldiers smiled as they waited for his answer.

Chansung stuttered, "Umm...yes...I do," he blushed.

"May we ask who then?" the Queens asked.

Chansung exchanged glances with his team mates but the Soldiers expected his answer too. He got nervous since he noticed Hyoyeon and Jessica nudging onto Sooyoung's arm.

"It's...my training partner. Sooyoung-ssi..."

The Queens high-fived with each other while Sooyoung covered her face in embarrassment. The Soldiers patted Chansung's back since it was the first time he spoke up about his affections. The next spin landed to Yonghwa. The Soldiers cooed softly to themselves. Yonghwa scratched his head and sighed.

"Dare."

"We got this one guys. We want you to go to the Queen you like and hug her, lovingly."

"OH YEAH!" the Soldiers clapped their hands in amusement.

"We're waiting Yonghwa~" the Queens reminded.

Yonghwa hesitated at first and probably blamed himself for choosing a dare instead of a truth. However, he stood up and walked quietly towards the ladies' side. All of them focused their eyes on Yonghwa, for every action he did. As expected, the Queens and Soldiers were squealing and smiling when Yonghwa approached Seohyun, and sat beside her. Seohyun felt her heartbeat beating faster with Yonghwa, leaning closer to her. After a few seconds, Yonghwa embraced Seohyun in his own arms. The Soldiers and Queens cheered wildly as they stared at the cute couple. Both Yonghwa and Seohyun felt shivers running down their spines, once their bodies were in conatct with one another and immediately pulled away.

"Aigoo~ Why did you spoil the moment Seohyun ah?" Seohyun turned to her sisters who were laughing secretly. She grumbled to herself and pouted. In the next round, the bottle landed onto Sunny.

She bit her tongue and mumbled, "Dare."

The Queens thought of what Sunny had to do until, Sooyoung had an idea. "Guys! Let's do something about Sunny and Sungmin," she whispered. The others nodded in excitement as they clapped their hands.

"Sunny ah~ We would like you to...kiss Sungmin on the lips!"

The Soldiers raised their hands in the air as they thought it was a brilliant idea. Sunny wanted to take back the dare but as they say...no back-outs. Sungmin on the other hand, winced as he rubbed his arms anxiously. When he noticed Sunny coming closer to his face, everything went to a halt in his own world. Feeling the touch and taste of her lips brought him back to life, it was as if his surroundings faded and felt that he was in a trance, once again. When he was about to re-act, Sunny pulled away slowly as her whole face was flushed red, feeling embarrassed at the same time.

"You got a big one today Sungmin." Jay smirked as he flashed him a smile.

"SUNSUN! SUNSUN!" The Soldiers and Queens cheered wildly after their quick kiss.

"SunSun? What the hell are you guys up to?" Sunny stared at her sisters when she went back to her seat.

"Oh, we're going to do a 'couple-up' nicknames from now on. And so we have Sungmin and Sunny couple! In short, SunSun!" her sisters squealed. Sunny rolled her eyes but a smile crept up her face, touching her lips with her index finger again. Sungmin did the same thing too, as he replayed the kiss all over again in his mind. That was an awesome feeling. Both Sungmin and Sunny chuckled as their eyes met, thinking as if they we're reading each other's minds.

As the game continued on, Taecyeon excused himself from the group and strolled towards the balcony nearby the living room. He gazed across the whole dark night sky, admiring the twinkling stars. If only you were here to enjoy with us. He grinned and glanced to the direction of the moon.

"Missing her, I guess?" Taeyeon stood beside him, while he got surprised by her sudden appearance.

"I was just needing some air."

"Uh huh, said the guy who didn't even participate in the game." she elbowed him and grinned.

"Alright, I get it. Taeyeon-ssi, may I ask you a question?"

"What is it?"

"Have you ever felt so agitated once you fell in love?"

Taeyeon turned to look at him, trying to read his mind. "Indeed Taecyeon-ssi. Once, I was like that when I was with Leeteuk before. Ever since the day that I fell for him, I felt emotional and agitated. But he broke my heart once, and I'll never let him break it twice. Besides, Wooyoung managed to put back the broken pieces of my shattered heart into a new and stronger one."

Taecyeon smiled, amused to hear about Wooyoung's success. "Good for you though. Yoona fell in love with Donghae right?"

Taeyeon frowned and swatted his arm lightly. "That was from the past Taec! Trust me, Yoona's heart belongs to you right now."

He faked a smile. "I was just afraid."

"Don't be Taecyeon-ssi. Just remember that we're always here to support you." she winked.

"Yah, yah. (Placed his arm around Taeyeon's shoulder) What I missed?" Wooyoung asked in curiosity.

Taecyeon smirked. "You nuisance."

"YAH!"

Taeyeon slapped his hand, earning a glare from Wooyoung. "I did that because you have interrupted our conversation."

Wooyoung pouted. "Aww. I was just patrolling whether Taecyeon hyung was snatching you away from me."

"Taecyeon-ssi already has Yoona, Wooyoung ah~"

"I know. Don't worry Taec, we'll get Yoona back!" Wooyoung held up his fist and smiled.

"I hope so." Taecyeon muttered.

Taeyeon thought of teasing Wooyoung in return. "I might re-consider our relationship, Mr Jang for maybe...Taecyeon?" she giggled.

Wooyoung sneered as he tickled her. "Yah! Stop! Jang Wooyoung! You know my weaknesses..."

Taeyeon escaped from his embrace and laughed. Wooyoung stuck out his tongue as he tried to catch her.

"No! You're mine!" Wooyoung managed to grab her wrist and pulled Taeyeon in for a hug. Taecyeon stared at the two, being sweet and stuff. Weird couples nowadays. A sudden smile passed over his face and walked back to the chaotic group in the living room.

 

 

_________________________________________