CHAPTER 8

The Little Girl

“Yah, Moonbok! Hurry up!” Yehyeon who was at the dining table. “Nae nae” Moonbok who was in the kitchen replied as he grabbed a cloth and rushed to the dining table. Donghyun watched at them being panic over the spilled juice on the dining table. His phone beeped as he received a message. Donghyun checked the text message from Hyunbin.

| Don’t you think it’s from someone who caused Wendy’s accident? |

“He could be right” Donghyun whispered as he read the text from Wendy’s phone that was forwarded to him.

“Donghyun” Yehyeon approached him. “What’s with the serious face, mate?”

“Hyunbin sent me a message from Wendy’s phone” “Really? About what?” “It seems that Wendy had been blackmailed. She received a suspicious message a day before she was hit by the car” “Does that mean someone hit her with intention?”

“But who would do that?” Moonbok approached them.

“You had been hearing us?” Yehyeon smirked. “Of course” he flipped his long hair off his shoulder. “You forgot about my magic again, don’t you?”

“Anyway” Moonbok bit his lips. “We should find the person who hit her before ‘that’ day arrive”

“You’re right” Donghyun nodded. “We don’t have much time already”

“Looks like we’ll be super busy. I’ll inform the others about this” Donghyun began to type on his phone.

Yehyeon sighed. “I was just about to enjoy my time being a human”

“Unfortunately, we’re not from here. We should go back to where we belong” Moonbok replied.

* * *

Hyunbin glanced back at the passenger seat from the rear view mirror. There were more than two packages of food.

“Why are there more food packed? Who are you going to give that to?”

“Oh” Dawon glanced at the lunch they had packaged nicely beside her. “Besides for Wendy eonni’s parents, I want to give to Sunghyuk. Since he works with Wendy eonni’s father, right?”

“Dawon-ah” Donghan called. “Nae” “Are you okay with this? I mean we’re technically heading to the hospital you were sent after the accident”

“I’m okay with it. Don’t worry. Wendy eonni was sent there too, am I right?” “Yes, of course. Since it’s her father’s hospital”

“I wonder” Dawon began. “Did the person who hit me got punished by the law?”

Donghan and Hyunbin glanced at her in puzzlement.

“I mean did Dabin eonni take any action since the person hit me with the car?” “No” Donghan replied. “Dabin forgave the person but the person did help her since he felt guilty”

“That’s good to hear” she smiled. “I thought she would lose her mind and hold grudge against that person”

“But how about Wendy eonni? Do you by any chance know who hit her?”

Hyunbin and Donghan glanced at each other and gulped.

“Oh, we’re here” Donghan turned into the main entrance of a hospital.

“Woah~!” Dawon stared out the window at the 5-star hospital before her. “I can’t believe Wendy eonni’s father own this place!”

 

The car stopped and the passenger’s door was opened by a doorman. He helped Dawon out.

“Thank you” she bowed to him.

“Miss Wendy” Hyunbin who carried the food package held out his hand, asking her to follow him. “Nae” she approached him. They walked towards the entrance.

“I’m nervous” she whispered to him as they walked side by side. “You never been into a grand place like this?” Hyunbin whispered back. She shook her head. He smiled. “Me too. But no worry. Just follow me”

They stepped through the main door into the hospital. Dawon’s mouth agaped. “You sure this is a hospital?” Her eyes went to the chandelier above them and the shimmering decoration around the lobby. A concierge approached them. “Miss Wendy” the lady bowed to her.

“Hello” Dawon bowed back.

“Are you here for a check-up?” “No. I’m here to see my appa” “Mr. Son is in his office right now. Let me you there”

“No it’s okay” Hyunbin interrupted. “We can go there ourselves”

Dawon saw the lady quivered a tad at his scary face.

“Thank you for the offer” Dawon smiled. “But we’re fine walking there ourselves”

“As you wish, miss” the lady bowed. Dawon bowed again.

Hyunbin and Dawon entered the lift.

“You do know where the office is, right?” she turned to him. He nodded.

They stopped at the 7th level. Hyunbin led the way and stopped in front of an office.

“He’s inside” Hyunbin told. “Alright” she took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

“Come in” Mr. Son’s voice from the inside replied.

Dawon opened the door and bowed. Mr. Son lifted his head and a smile formed across his face. He put his pen aside and stood. “Aigo, what a pleasant surprise! Come in, buttercup”

“Hi, appa” Dawon smiled and approached him.

Mr. Son pulled her into embrace. “What are you doing here? I thought you’re out with Moonbok” he let go off her.

“Well, something came up and we stayed at home. We made some lunch for you” Dawon turned to Hyunbin and took the packaged food. She held it out to him.

“You cook?” Mr. Son stared at her in disbelief as he received the meal. “You never cook, dear” he smelled it and smiled wider. “Smells good”

“I learned from Yehyeon lately” Dawon replied. “Come” Mr. Son pulled her to join him at the coffee table. “Join me for lunch”

“I would love to, appa. But I have other delivery to do” “Delivery?” “Yes. We made some lunch for omma and Sunghyuk too” “Oh, I see. It’s okay then” he began to open the packages, letting out the aromatic fragrance from stew they had cooked filled the office.

Dawon saw the papers on the desk. “You must be busy, appa. I’m sorry for disturbing you” she massaged his tense shoulder. Mr. Son chuckled. “Aniya. I’m doing just fine. Aigo, my daughter”

Dawon remembered how she used to massage Dabin’s shoulder.

Dawon swallowed the lump and mustered a smile. “Don’t work too hard, appa. You’ll get sick. You still need to take care of your daughter, remember?”

“Aigo” Mr. Son smiled. “I will, Wendy. Don’t worry”

* * *

Hyunbin and Dawon walked through the hallway and waited for the lift.

“You’re quite good with older people” he voiced. “Having no parents doesn’t mean that I don’t know how to treat one” she smirked. “Besides, he’s a father that I just borrow for a short while. And I’ll lose him one day. I want to treasure every moment with my ‘borrowed’ father”

They entered the lift.

“Sunghyuk work at the patients’ ward at the 5th floor” Hyunbin pressed the button 5. The door was closed. “Mr. Son said Eric is here with his mother for the check-up. You want to visit him?”

“Me?” Dawon rolled her eyes. “I’m not seeing that weird guy. You should help me not to bump into him”

“Of course”

* * *

The two walked to the receptionist at the 5th level.

“Hello” Dawon approached the nurses. They quickly stood and bowed to her. Dawon bowed back. “How can I help you, miss Wendy?” one of the nurses asked her. “I want to meet-“

“Miss Wendy” Sunghyuk appeared behind them. Dawon turned to him with a smile. “There you are”

“Come” he held out his hand for them to follow him.

Sunghyuk brought them to an empty hallway. The windows faced the garden of the hospital.

“Here” Sunghyuk held out a cup of hot chocolate to her who was sitting at the seat there. “Thank you” she sipped on it.

Sunghyuk held a coffee to Hyunbin beside her.

“Why are you here?” Sunghyuk sat beside Dawon. He sipped on the coffee in his grip. “Did we disturb your busy schedule? Sorry, doc” she smirked. “No” “We’re just here to give you this” she held out the packaged food. “Lunch”

“Woah~” he took it. “I haven’t had my lunch yet. Thank you so much”

“You’re welcome. We cooked it together at home” “We? Am I being left again? Who’s at home now?” “Moonbok, Donghyun, Yehyeon, Donghan and this dude” she pointed to Hyunbin.

Hyunbin turned at her in disbelief. “What did you just call me?” Dawon stick out her tongue to him. Sunghyuk laughed at her reaction “This is the first time someone ever jeer him like that. You know, most people just freak out at the sight of Hyunbin”

“I know right” Dawon nodded. “He looks like he can swallow a person alive”

“Yah, I’m not!” Hyunbin pouted. Sunghyuk and Dawon laughed as they managed to sneer him.

“You should smile more; you know” Sunghyuk suggested. “Yes” Dawon pulled the end of his lips upwards. “Like this”

Hyunbin narrowed his eyes to her. “Hands off me, kid” Dawon pouted. “Nae nae”

Sunghyuk held onto the package. “I will enjoy this” he sighed. “I wish I can spend more time with you”

“You know you can just quit your job here” Hyunbin replied. “I have the feeling of attached to this place actually” Sunghyuk smiled. “Maybe I fell in love with this job. Helping people when they really need”

“Don’t worry, Sunghyuk” Dawon replied. “You can work here for 10 more years. Or maybe more. Because you enjoy your job. I always cheer on you”

“Thank you, Dawon” Sunghyuk smiled at her. Hyunbin stared at him. *You know we can’t stay here forever*

* * *

“Nae, omma” Dawon bowed to Mrs. Son. They were in her office. “Thank you for the lunch, dear” Mrs. Son hugged her. “Don’t forget to eat again, okay?”

“Nae, omma. You don’t work too hard too” Dawon smiled. “I will” Mrs. Son let go off her. “Eric’s mom is here a few moments ago”

“Appa said he brought his mother for medical check-up just now” “Yes. His mother told me about that just now. She said they rushed here before they head home. Maybe you can see your future-mother-in-law next time”

Dawon mustered a smile. “I think so” She cleared . “Can I…by any chance…wait. How can I say this?”

“What is it, dear?” “Well…I don’t think both of us mean to be. I mean I have no feelings towards Eric” “You sure, dear? Or maybe it just because you’re overthinking about it” “But have you ever see both me and Eric happy together” “I don’t think so. Well, I must say the other day his family had dinner at our place, you had been in a bad mood throughout the entire evening. I thought maybe it’s the office. Or is it because of Eric?” “If you can consider this, I would like to call off our marriage”

Mrs. Son couldn’t reply.

“Or maybe we can talk this over again later?” Dawon suggested. “Sure, dear” Mrs. Son nodded. “We can discuss about this with your appa”

Dawon smiled and bowed. “Thank you, omma. For considering about my feeling”

“Of course, dear” she caressed her head. “I will do anything for my daughter. After the accident, I regretted for spending less time thinking about you. And now I won’t repeat the same mistake” tears formed in her eyes.

“Omma” Dawon hugged her tightly. “You had done many things for me. Thank you” tears flowed down her eyes. Dawon wiped her tears.

They broke the hug. Mrs. Son held her shoulder and smiled. “My little girl had grown up to be a good daughter. I’m so thankful”

Dawon smiled.

“Now go have lunch” Mrs. Son said. “I will enjoy your lunch”

“Nae, omma” she bowed. “I’ll take my leave then”

“Nae” Mrs. Son waved at her and watched as Dawon walked through the hallway. Dawon waved back.

She went down to the lower ground.