CHAPTER 5

The Little Girl

                Moonbok opened the door to reveal a spacious modern-style office with the city scenery behind the work desk, a black leather sofa set, a flat screen TV mounted on the wall and a collection of thick books on the shelves against the wall. Dawon gasped as she entered the room. “This is my office?”

“Of course” Moonbok threw himself onto the comfy sofa. “Enjoy it while I take a nap here”

“Yah” Hyunbin pushed him aside so he can sit.

                Dawon walked to the desk where there was a flat screen monitor with a few document files arranged at the edge of the desk. She turned to the photo frames arranged neatly on the drawer. She picked up one of it and scanned the picture. “This is her family”

                Donghyun who went through the documents on the desk looked up to her. “Yes. Whole of them. That’s her aunts and uncles at her grandfather’s house. Her grandfather moved far from the city last year. That was when they were celebrating it”

“But” her eyes went to Wendy parents who were at the edge of the picture. Their faces almost didn’t make it into the photo. “Why is Wendy eonni here? Where is she? And why does her parents look” she lifted her head to Donghyun. “They look sad. Like they fake their smiles and happiness”

“Kids sure have sharp eyes” Donghyun smirked and approached her. “You may see Wendy’s life as perfect, but there something that she kept from everyone’s view. She dislikes her family. Especially her grandfather”

“What happen?” “Well, adults like to act in all of their actions, right? Wendy’s parents dislike her aunts, uncles and grandfathers too. But they pretended to be happy with them. Both her parents knew how unfair her grandfather is. Wendy’s grandfather owns a massive and rich company. He owns many lands. But now he retired, he gave all of his fortune to his children. But he didn’t left any for Wendy’s parents. Though her parents are the only one who often pay him a visit every week. Wendy thought her grandfather was unfair and so she hated him so much he didn’t even want to see him for any family event. Her aunts sure talks badly about her behind her parents. And her parents knew about it but they ignored them. Because they knew God is fair and one day they’ll receive something in return for their action”

“Wendy’s parents are such incredible people. They’re able to stay calm when they’re thrown with harsh words” Dawon remembered how she involved in a fight just because people bad-mouthed about her. “Not like myself” she whispered to herself.

“So who is she truly close to in her family?” Dawon asked. “Well, there is this one cousin of her” Donghyun tried to recall. “But I don’t really remember his name and how he looks like. But he’s always there for Wendy and so did Wendy”

“That’s good that she at least has someone to lean on beside her busy parents. Poor Wendy eonni. She must be lonely at home because she has no other sibling unlike me” she turned to him again. “Do you think I can help solve her problem?”

“You know you shouldn’t try to solve other’s problem when you can’t solve your own problem” Hyunbin advised. “Yah” Moonbok nudged him.

                Donghyun smiled to Dawon. “If you have any idea how to help her, tell us. We can surely help you. But I warn you it will not be an easy job”

                A phone rang and they looked around.

“Is it your phone?” Dawon asked Donghyun. “No. My phone is on silent mode” he replied. Dawon dug into her bag and saw Wendy’s phone. It was ringing. She began to panic. “What should I do?”

                Donghyun took her hand to look at the caller’s ID. “Oh this guy”

“Who is calling?” “This is Eric. Your family interested to engage you with him” “Engage?”

                The ring ended. She sighed in relieve. “You must be kidding me? I’m just a kid. I can’t be engaged”

“But they see as Wendy Son, remember?”

                Dawon sighed. “Anyway, where is this Eric guy from?”

“He’s from this city, don’t worry. Her parents own a company and they often cooperate with your mother’s company. So your parents interested to marry you off to this kid. And this kid works here at your company” “Don’t say ‘marry’. It disgusts me” Donghyun chuckled at her reaction.

“And did Wendy accept him?” “No she didn’t even look at him”

“Dawon-ah, stay still” Donghyun fixed the bowed on her hair that began to fell off. “Thank you” she smiled. “Eonni always helped me with the ribbon but since I’m a ‘grown-up’, I need to do everything myself”

“Wendy my love~” Eric burst into the office and halted as he saw Donghyun being too close to Dawon. “Yah” he dashed to him and pushed him away. Eric darted his eyes to Donghyun. “You don’t touch my fiancé. You’re just her PA, remember that”

                Donghyun faked a smile and nodded. “Nae, Eric-ssi” Moonbok and Hyunbin rolled their eyes, irritated with Eric. Eric turned to Wendy and held her shoulder. “How are you, babe?”

“I’m fine” she mustered a smile and pushed his hands off her shoulder. “Are you here to meet me?” “What? I have something to settle here” she moved to the document and went through it. Her eyes slightly agape at the words on it that was too alien to her.

“Do you think we can have lunch together today?” Eric pulled her closer. She gulped.

“Sorry” Moonbok pulled Dawon away from him. “She’s having lunch with me today”

                Eric gave him a stare then turned to Wendy again. “Then how about I sent you home today?”

“I’m sorry, Eric-ssi” Donghyun interrupted. “But I afraid miss Wendy and I need to stay at work until late for the whole week”

                Eric gave him a stare. He turned to Wendy. “How about we-“ he noticed a shadow fell over him. He looked up to meet eyes with Hyunbin. Hyunbin crossed his arm up to his chest. “Done yet?”

                Eric gulped. “Yup. You know what. See you around” he rushed out from the office with them eyed him. Dawon burst into laughter. “You guys are so cool!” The guys smiled proudly.

*             *             *

                Moonbok and Dawon walked out from a restaurant after they had their lunch. The other guys were nowhere to be seen.

“You sure it’s okay for me to use this eonni’s money?” she asked, concerned. “Yeah no worry. I’ll pay her back” he threw his arm around her shoulder. “Now let’s go have some fun shall we?” he pulled her to run with him along the pavement.

 

                The two tried to ride the duck boat at the river. Dawon had so much fun as she always wanted to ride one. Moonbok taught her to ride the Segway scooter at the park.

“Yah, slowly!” Moonbok shouted as he chased her. Dawon glanced back and giggled as she glided across the pavement faster. “Can’t catch me!”

“Wendy!” Moonbok shouted. Dawon looked to her front and gasped. She was heading to the stairs.

                She squinted her eyes in fear, anticipating the ugly stop she will make. The handle of the scooter was suddenly steered to the side. A hand held onto the handle as the scooter slowly make a stop. Dawon opened her eyes. She was panting so hard. She lifted her head only to see a person. Donghan smiled at her. “You should be careful next time, Dawon”

                Moonbok approached them. “You okay?” She looked up to him and nodded. She turned to Donghan again as she got off the scooter. “But how…”

“Easy” Donghan waved his hand and the scooter move by itself towards Moonbok. “Next time don’t forget about the helmet”

“It’s not Moonbok’s fault” she interrupted. “I’m the one who refuse to wear it” she faced the ground. “I’m sorry”

                Donghan bent to her and ruffled her head. “It’s okay but next time, remember. Safety first” She looked at him and beamed. “Nae”

“What have you two been up to this afternoon?” Donghyun and Hyunbin joined them. “Hi” she waved at them.

“Moonbok let me try many new things today” Dawon glanced at Moonbok beside her then leaned in to Donghyun. “But he blabbers a lot” she whispered.

                Donghyun chuckled and looked at Moonbok. “You blabber”

“That’s call teaching, little miss. I only tell you everything you need to know in this situation” Moonbok replied, annoyed.

“And you need to be taught something important” Donghyun turned to Dawon. “It’s time for your class”

“Class?” she asked back. He nodded.