CHAPTER 15

The Little Girl

“Dabin-ah, come look at this” Ahyeon called as she bent over the pond. Dabin looked up from writing in her diary. “Coming” Dabin kept her diary in her bag and ran up to her.

                She bent over with her as they watched at the tadpoles in the school pond.

“They’re super cute!” Ahyeon exclaimed. “Yah you city slicker” Dabin smirked. “You never see any of these back in the States?”

“No I always stayed in my room all day. And I never visit any pond before” “Aigo, Ahyeon-ah. I have a fish at my house. You’re welcome to my house whenever you miss to see these creature” “Woah! You have a pond in your house? You can see these tadpoles every day right?” “Aniya. I kill them” “You what?!” Ahyeon was speechless

“You do know what these tadpoles will grow into right?” “Frog?” “Yes. And I don’t like them. That’s why I get rid of the tadpoles” “Dabin, you’re so cruel”

                Dabin smiled. “But sometimes I keep some of them in the pond. Because my sister likes them too. Just like you”

                They immersed in watching the tadpoles swimming in the pond for a while. Ahyeon looked up. “Do you smell that?”

“What?” Dabin sniffed the air. “Looks like the cooking club baked their famous red velvet cookies” “Sounds delicious!” “You never have some?” “No” “Let’s go then” Dabin stood. “They often sell that during recess. But it always sold out just before I can get my hands on it”

“We should go now. Let’s go!” Ahyeon dragged Dabin to run with her. “Yah” Dabin chuckled as she caught up to her.

                A set of feet stopped before Dabin’s bag. The silhouette shadowed the bag.

*             *             *

“Dawon-ah” Donghyun sat with Dawon at the school garden. “Hey” Dawon pulled him to sit closer beside her. She raised her phone to take a selfie. “Smile!”

                Donghyun smiled at the camera.

“Nice!” she stared at their picture before continued to type something on her phone. “What are you doing?” “Sending this picture to Hyunbin. He forces me to send him proof that I’m not alone” “You know sometimes he can be a bit annoying” “Yea I know”

                Dawon stared at their picture again. “You do look familiar though” she turned to him and squinted her eyes, trying to remember. “Yah” Donghyun avoided her eyes. “What are you doing?”

“Have we ever met before?” “Well we had been together for years. Maybe that’s why” “No I mean you look like someone I know” “That’s absurd, Dawon” “You think so too right?” she backed from him and nodded. “Maybe I mistaken you for someone I know”

“Where’s Moonbok?” she asked. “He’s at his office. He’s immerse in his role right now” Donghyun smirked.

“I think I need to pay attention to Wendy eonni’s company too” Dawon stood. “Since I borrow her life, I should not let it crumple, right? Let’s go”

“Where to?” “The office” “You serious?” “Nae” “Let’s go then” he fixed his suit. He saw the book in her grip. “What’s that?”

“Oh” she raised the book. “I found it under this bench. Maybe someone dropped it”

“Have you check for the owner’s name” “Donghyun-ah, this is a diary. I can’t read someone else’s diary without any permission”

                Donghyun chuckled nervously. “Oh I see”

“That’s mine!” Dabin ran to them. “Yours, Dabin-ssi?” Dawon held it to her. “Thank you. Where did you find it?” Dabin panted. “I had been looking for it everywhere”

“I saw it under this bench” “Maybe I dropped it” Dabin sighed. “You didn’t read my diary did you?” she narrowed her eyes to her. “No. Absolutely” Dawon replied. “Diary is a private thing, I understand. Because I own one too”

“Why do you need a diary? You have your friends around you to listen to you. Not like me who have no one to listen to my story” “Diary is not only for a lonely person, Dabin-ssi. Diary is where we write something deep from our heart that we don’t want anyone to know” Dawon glanced at Donghyun. “You should own one too, Donghyun. Since you keep a huge secret all to yourself”

“Really, Donghyun-ssi?” Dabin turned to him. “Daebak! I wonder what the biggest secret is”

“He has a crush on you” Dawon voiced between her made-up cough. “Yah, aniya” Donghyun smiled to Dabin. “The truth is I’m interested to be friend with you. Just like I’m being friend with Wendy”

“Friend?” Dabin chuckled. “Of course we are. The three of us are friends right?”

                Wendy nodded. “We should hang out together often now that we’re friends, right?”

“Sure. Just ring me anytime” Dabin replied with a smile. “Well, I should go now”

“We’re about to leave too” “Where to? I thought you’ll hang out in this school” “I have something came up at the office” “Oh. Good luck with your work” Dabin bowed to Dabin and Donghyun. “See you later” Dabin waved and walked away from them.

“Good luck on your study, Dabin-ssi” Dawon waved at her. Dabin waved again.

                Dawon turned to Donghyun. “Are you serious?! Friend?”

“Yea. I told you I don’t have a crush on her” Donghyun began to walk with a sneer smile. “Yah, Donghyun” she went for him. “So that’s it. Friends?” “Yes. I actually want to be her friend. Not a lover or anything such” “Well don’t you want to consider that? If you date my sister, I’m okay with it. Really”

                Donghyun chuckled and ignored her.

*             *             *

                Jaehyun sipped on the juice in his grip as he continued to stare into blank space. The music echoed through the café he was in. His table was at the corner, away from anyone sight. He recalled what just happened a few hours ago at a restaurant he used to hang out with his friends.

-Flashback-

“Yah, Jaehyun” Yuta called. “What is it?” Jaehyun replied lazily. “Come look at this” Yuta beckoned him to come closer to him. “What is it?” Jaehyun looked at his phone that Yuta shoved to his face.

“This is Naeun, right? Heol!” Yuta was speechless.

“What is it?” Doyoung stopped chatting with Taeil and joined them. “Yah” Taeil joined them.

                They stared at the picture posted by one of their acquaintance, Minho on Instagram. It was a picture of Minho, arms wrapped around Naeun’s waist. The two looked happy and too close in the picture with the background of club.

“Is she cheating on you mate?” Taeil asked. “Heol!”

                Jaehyun clenched a tight fist.

“Aniya” Yuta replied. “Minho already dating a girl”

“So?” “So both Minho and Naeun are cheating on each other’s partner” Doyoung answered.

                Jaehyun stood and stormed off out from the restaurant.

“Yah, why do you have to say that?” Taeil knocked Doyoung on his head. “You doesn’t get the situation so I just explain it to you” Doyoung complained. “Aigo, you two” Yuta shook his head in disappointment with both of his friends. He turned to look out. Jaehyun sped off on his motorcycle. “I just hope Jaehyun doesn’t get himself into trouble again”

 

                Jaehyun got off in front of a café. He saw Naeun was in the café enjoying the juice. “Naeun is not cheating on me. I believe in her” he took out his phone and called her. He watched as she answered the call.

“Naeun-ah” “Hey” “Where are you?” “Me?”

*Please don’t lie to me*

“I’m at the café. Why?” “I’ll come to you” Jaehyun went to the café’s front door. *She’s not lying! I knew it!*

“Jaehyun-ah, I’m out with Bomi and Eunji” she replied that made his steps paused. His hand froze at the door knob. “It’s our girls’ day out. Sorry but you can’t join us”

“Oh really? I never know” he chuckled and bit his lips. *Why are you lying?*

“Sorry, babe” Naeun stirred the juice with the straw. “We’ll hang out tomorrow, okay? I promise”

“Just keep your promise to your selfish self, Naeun”

                Naeun looked up. Her grip loosen and her phone fell onto the wooden table. “Jaehyun” she whispered his name. Jaehyun ended the call and put his phone away as he stared at her. “So it’s true”

“Jaehyun, I can explain” she grabbed onto his hand. He yanked back his arm. “I don’t want to hear your explanation”

“Naeun” Minho approached them. He looked at both Jaehyun and Naeun one after another.

“So you’re here” Jaehyun smirked and turned to Minho. “I heard you’re cheating on your girlfriend too”

“That’s my business and you need not to budge into it” Minho replied. “Now off”

“You know what” Jaehyun smirked. “Go ahead. Take Naeun. I don’t need her in my life” he glared at her. “Two-faced ” he hissed.

“Yah” Minho was about to trash him but stopped, realizing they were out in the open. Jaehyun glared at Minho then to Naeun before stormed off from the café. 

-End of flashback-

“Here’s your order, sir” a plate of toast was placed before him. Jaehyun lifted his head to see Dabin.

“Jaehyun” she whispered in fear. “Hey” he glanced at her then to the toast. “Thanks” his voice was weak, not as usual.

“I’ll leave then” she left him and went to the other customers.

 

“Come again later” Dabin smiled to the customer after the customer pay at the cashier. Her eyes trailed off to Jaehyun. The toast on his plate was barely eaten. *He looks gloomy* she remembered something. *Maybe he already found out about that*

 

 

                The staff of the café began to clean up the place.

“Jaehyun”

                Jaehyun snapped out from his daydreaming and looked up to meet eyes with Dabin.

“What is it?” “We’re about to close” “Just give me 10 minutes” “Nae” she turned to the other staff.

 

 

                Jaehyun stepped out from the café and looked up to the already dark sky. The door of café was opened. “Jaehyun”

                He turned to the female voice. Dabin held out a paper bag. “Here”

                He took it.

“It’s the same toast you ordered but I made a new one” she stated. “This is on me so don’t bother to pay for it. Cheer up, will ya?” she avoided his eyes and walked away.

                Jaehyun watched as she left. *That girl…*

 

-----------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late update! I thought I already finish upload this story...so sorry...

Anyway, I need someone help...well....lately I lost interest in everything I used to love to do like reading novel, and even writing fanfics. Any advice on what can I do? Honestly, I'm really frustrated with this situation but no matter how hard I tried to ignore this huge trouble, I just can't seem to ignore it...