CHAPTER 17

The Little Girl

 

“You’re the one who spread it, right?!” Naeun demanded. “Aniya” Dabin glanced at everyone else. “They received the picture too. And they have no idea who sent it to them but they just spread the picture. Plus, have you ever see I have my phone with me now? No, right? Just like you always says. I’m too poor to even eat a proper meal a day or even afford a phone for myself”

 

“Naeun” Jaehyun stood before them. The girls lifted their head to him. Naeun clenched a tight fist.

“You’re the one who stupid enough to let your secret reveal” he voiced. “Don’t put the blame on other because of your stupid mistake”

“Yah, look at this” Naeun held the picture to his face. “She has this picture. She might spread the rumour about me cheating on you”

“You think she would dare to do that to you?” “Yes because I wrecked her life” “I don’t think she even give a damn about your life” he stole a glance at Dabin. “And even if she starts the rumour I should thank her, right? She just saved me from a two-faced” he took a step closer to Naeun. “”

                Naeun snorted and looked at the other students who started to murmur among them. They had their glare at her. Naeun glared at Jaehyun. “You’re worst, Jaehyun!”

“Me” he smirked. “Or you who is worst?”

                Naeun screamed in frustration before stormed off. Jaehyun met eyes with Dabin but she quickly looked away. She walked out from the cafeteria.

“I’ll be right back” Dawon stood again but Donghyun held onto her arm again. He shook his head. “Dabin might need some time alone”

                Dawon turned to the direction Dabin went and sighed. “I guess I’ll talk to her later”

*             *             *

                It was raining heavily. Jaehyun was at the bus stop as he was taking cover from the downpour. He stared in blank space. He recalled what just happened at the cafeteria. *Dabin*

-Flashback-

                Jaehyun watched as Dabin skipped away with Ahyeon. He looked down to Dabin’s bag. *Maybe she can let me have some of her money* he smirked. Jaehyun looked around. No one was there except him. He ped the bag and went through the content. “Aish!” he scratched his head. “She must have taken her purse with her” he sighed. His eyes caught a ring notebook with a bright orange cover. “What’s this?” he took it and went through the pages. A few pages at the beginning was a doddle of scenery. “She drew this? Her skill is quite okay” he stopped at a picture of young man leaning against a shady tree. “This looks familiar. Well” he shrugged it off and continued to flip to the other pages.

| 15th May

I transferred to a new school. I’m looking forward to happy school life. But I was wrong. I had to do my homework twice. One for myself and another for Jaehyun. Both him and his girlfriend really AISH! I wish I can crush them under my palm…           |

“She really hates us, I see” Jaehyun chuckled and flipped to the other page.

|20th May

I really miss my old school. My classmates. Teachers. The field and labs. And I really miss Boram. Though I always see her at her shop every week. But without her beside me in the class, I felt really lonely. Not just that I felt lonely at home without Dawon, at school too. When I felt the people harted gaze on me. I really hate my life! I’m writing this so that I can avoid myself from taking my own life. Because I know Dawon is waiting for me. She will come back to me one day. I know it.

I wish I can meet her again. I want her to keep on telling me to keep my spirit up. Like always.

That’s how she taught me to love people around me. At the school. But I think I love them too much that I can’t seems to ignore their absence from my life. I miss my old school. My classmates. Maybe I had been writing about this numerous time but really. I miss my classmates a lot! I wish I don’t transfer here in the first place. My biggest regret in life is transferring here. I wish I can undo what is done but it just impossible         |

                Jaehyun closed the diary and stared into blank spaces. “She doesn’t even want to transfer here and yet we make her suffer thinking she’s eager to enter this school”

-End of flashback-

“Aish!” Jaehyun buried his face into his palm. “What have I done?!”

                He looked up and sighed. A bus went by him. Dabin was leaning against the window.

“I really need to thank her” he remembered she gave him a toast the day before. A smile appeared on his lips.

*             *             *

“Yah, what the!” Dawon avoided her face from being splashed by Moonbok using the water hose. Mr. and Mrs. Son watched both of them at the garden as the two enjoyed their iced tea at the outdoor table at the yard. “These kids” Mrs. Son smiled. “We asked them to water the plants not play with the water”

“But it’s so hot out here, aunty” Moonbok put the hose away from Dawon for a bit. “We can’t work in this hot condition so why not have some fun instead”

                Dawon snatched the hose away from him and spayed the cold water to his face. Moonbok ran away.

 

“What are you doing?” Sunghyuk approached Taedong who was leaning against the railing of the rooftop. Taedong glanced at him before turning to look down at Dawon and Moonbok at the yard. He jerked his head to them. Sunghyuk leaned against the railing, joining him.

“Those kids seem to be happy in this hot weather” Sunghyuk voiced. “The younger ones sure have more energy than us”

“Yah you sound like a grandpa” “I did live longer than most of you remember?”

                Taedong suddenly sighed. “I wonder when will we complete this mission”

“This mission is quite tough” “Though it’s our one and only mission” “I don’t want us to complete the mission any time sooner but part of me just want to take a long rest” “I know. Me too. We’re just so sick of this world sometimes that we want to disappear from here”

                They enjoyed the moment for a while. Sunghyuk turned to Taedong. “Where is Donghyun?”

*             *             *

                Hyunbin was lying on the window seat, eyes closed while listening to the song through the headphone. His feet moved to the beat of the music. Donghyun was dusting off the furniture in the room with cleaner duster. He coughed as dust reached his throat. He saw Hyunbin. “Yah, give me a hand will ya?”

                Hyunbin leaned to the other side, back facing him and raised his hand. “Here” he smirked mischievously. Donghyun rolled his eyes and continued the chores. He wiped the book shelf. Pieces of papers slit between the books fell onto the carpeted floor. He bent down to pick it up and was about to put it back. “Wait” he turned over the paper to see that it was no ordinary paper. It was photographs of two little girls with smiles on their innocent faces. “Hyunbin-ah…”

                Hyunbin was still immersed with the music. Donghyun furrowed his eyebrows as he turned to him. “YAH KWON HYUNBIN!”

“WHAT?” Hyunbin sat up as he pushed the headphone off his head.

                Donghyun stared at each of the photographs one by one. Hyunbin approached him. His eyes widened at the pictures. “Yah, this is…”