CHAPTER 25

The Little Girl

                Donghyun’s eyes trailed down to the pictures the three of them had took just now in Dawon’s hand. Dawon, Donghyun and Dabin had their arms around each other in the pictures.

“About us” Donghyun voiced. “Who we are? Why are we here?”

“If you talk about Eric, I’m not really sure” “No. Besides him. Besides anyone close to Wendy”

“Maybe someone who experience the same thing as Dawon knew” Donghan voiced that made everyone in the car turned to him. “Why?”

“Make sense though” Donghyun leaned back, arms crossed to his chest. “Because just now both me and Dawon met a suspicious old lady. She looks like she knew Dawon is just using Wendy’s body”

                Dawon looked down to the picture in her grip. “If she has been through the same situation as I am, I wish I can meet her again” She looked up to them. “I want to ask her, what should I do with this life? Why is all of this happen? Why” her eyes went to the picture of Dabin. “Am I still unhappy although I’m able to help my sister? Is there anything else I should help her on?”

                Donghyun, Donghan and Hyunbin looked at each other.

*             *             *

                Dabin stood straight after hours of sweeping the lawn of the school garden. She glanced at ther side. Jaehyun was picking up the collected dried leaves. She sighed. “How can I be late for school every day?”

“Sleepy head” he jeered with a smirk without even lifting his head. She darted her eyes to him and pretended to knock his head but quickly pulled her hand back as he stood. “You’re becoming delinquent like me, I see”

“No I’m not” she pouted and continued to sweep. He smiled at her cute face. “What about you?” she stopped him from bending down again. He turned to her. “We’re penaltied for getting into school late? Why are you late? Wake up late?”

“Yes” he took off the gloves. “Doing music until late at night?” “Looks like you know me. Amazing” he smirked.

                Dabin rolled her eyes and put the sweep aside. She collected her hair and tied it into ponytail. Jaehyun struggled to control his smile that he turned away. A small white flower caught his attention. Dabin looked up again and picked up the rake once again.

“Stay still”

                Dabin froze as Jaehyun stood close behind her and slipped the flower to her ponytail. He smiled in satisfaction.

“Yah” she stuttered a tad. “What’s that?”

“Because your ponytail looks ugly so I have to put some accessory on it to make it pretty” he laughed at her. Dabin snorted and narrowed her eyes to him. She threw the rake aside. “You dare talk bad about me!”

                Jaehyun quickly ran away with her chasing him around the garden.

                Dawon who was leaning against a nearby walkaway watched them with a smile.

“Today’s drama sure have a sweet romance” Moonbok appeared behind her. She smirked and nodded. “You’re right, Moonbok-ah”

“You’re okay if that guy date your sister?” “Sure. If they’re soulmates, I have no reason to stop them” “Yah, how do you know about that?” “Taedong told me. And of course I forced him to tell me or he wouldn’t” “He easily listen to you” he shook his head with his lips pressed into thin line.

“Yah, let’s go” Dawon nodded to the other side. “Where to?” “Shouldn’t we just leave both of them alone?” she smirked. “Yah you little kid, you’re quite sneaky, are you?”

                She chuckled. “Aniya. Nothing bad had cross my mind, really. Besides, shouldn’t we manage our company for a bit?”

“You’re right” Moonbok glanced at both Dabin and Jaehyun who was chasing each other before turning to Dawon again. “Let’s go”  

*             *             *

                Dabin put the rake back into the store. Jaehyun closed the door and locked it after they had returned the equipment.

“See you later” Dabin bid him goodbye and left him. “Yah” he caught up to her.

                Dabin glanced at Jaehyun beside her. The two was walking through the empty hallway.

“You’re heading straight to work?” he asked. She nodded. “You? Home?”

“Yeah” “Finish off the song I guess” “You’re right”

“You know what, I’m curious about this one thing” “What is it?” “How can you be persistent in writing song? Besides it being one of your hobby” “I do it because I love to do it. My heart is full of passion to write song. And I have someone in my heart who encourage me to write more”

                Jaehyun stopped and turned to her. She did the same. He fixed his gaze deep into her eyes.

“So this special someone is your inspiration to write song” Dabin guessed. He nodded. “Do you have anyone in your heart that encourage you to do what you’re doing right now?”

                Dabin nodded. She smiled. His heart sank. *So she already has someone else* Jaehyun chuckled, disappointed.

“What’s with the laugh?” “Nothing” he continued to walk with a mustered smile. She pulled his arm. Jaehyun turned to face her.

“You know you should stop leave me hanging like that, do you?”

                Jaehyun smiled. “It just that, I lost my chance. Your heart is already occupied. I don’t even have any chance to make my way there”

“Jaehyun-ah” she laughed. He was left confussed. “That person is my little sister. She will be forever in my heart. And I’m doing my part-time for her. That’s what I mean”

                Jaehyun chuckled. His hand rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. Dabin looked away with a coy smile.

“So” he met her eyes again. “Can I be the other person in your heart, Dabin?”

*             *             *

                Dawon walked down the stairs. Both Mr. and Mrs. Son who were watching movie in the living room looked up to her as she descended the stairs.

“What are you watching?” Dawon joined them in the living room. “Your omma want to watch this movie so here I am” Mr. Son glanced at his wife. “Accompany her”

“It’s a new movie, Wendy” Mrs. Son patted the empty space beside her. “Come join us”

                Dawon joined them. “What is the movie about?”

“Romance abviously” Mr. Son chuckled. “You know how women love romance story. Any movie that they watch need to have a bit of love story”

“Love” Dawon rephrased as her eyes glued to the screen. She remembered her conversation with Dabin a few days before.

-Flashback-

“Hey” Dawon joined Dabin who was sitting at the school garden. Dabin looked up and gave her a smile. She straightened up from propping her arms on her knees. “Hi, eonni”

“Something is bothering you, I see” “Sorry?” Dabin’s eyes slightly agape. “I had been standing there” Dawon pointed to the walkaway before them. “For quite a while and you didn’t even notice me?”

                Dabin chuckled. “Really? Sorry” she looked around. “Where’s Donghyun?”

“He have something to handle at the office since we just finished our meeting with a company from China” Dawon replied. “You seems to miss him” she smirked.

“Yeah” Dabin chuckled. “He’s like a brother to me”

“You sure like to make everyone into your little sibling since you’re the eldest” “But his name is just like him” Dabin smiled alone. “But I think you’re right. I like to collect sibling”

“Tsk” Dawon smirked. “So what is it that’s bothering you until you didn’t even notice me standing right in front of you?”

“Owh” Dabin tried to stop herself from smiling widely. “Nothing”

“Come on” Dawon knudged her. “Tell me”

                Dabin laughed. “Nothing really”

“Come on, Dabin. Don’t always keep everything to yourself”

                Dabin turned to Dawon. She told her what Jaehyun asked her the other day.

“So what did you say?” Dawon was excited. “I said I’ll let him know my answer” “Daebak! And what is your answer?” “Aigo” Dabin smiled with her face already turning red. “I’m not sure exactly what I’m feeling. That’s why I ask him for some times. As much as I like him, I don’t know why I hesitated. Something is holding me back from saying ‘yes’ to him. I’m really confussed right now you know”

“Confussed? Seriously?” “Since you’re older, you must have been on a date right? What do you think I should do, eonni?” “Me?” “Yes”

“Well” Dawon looked away and chuckled nervously. *I’m just a little kid. I don’t even know what love is and she’s asking me about this?! What should I say?*

“I heard you’re enganged already” “Enganged? No” *Eric* “Well to me, if I were you, I will think about this matter again. Whether the choice that I will make is the right choice. But if I make the wrong choice, well, learn from it. That’s how life, right? If you like Jaehyun, go to him. If you feel nothing when with him, then he’s not the one for you” *Did I just say that? What does that even mean, Dawon!!*

                Dabin was silent as she was thinking. “Well I do feel something when I’m with him though” she sighed. “This matter is harder than I thought”

                Dawon stared at Dabin as she was once again immersed in her own thought.

*Does love really this confussing? I don’t like seeing you like this, eonni. Sighing and in daze all the time. How can I make you smile again? Like always…*

-End of flashback-

                The movie arrived at the part where the hero was about to get marry to another girl. His girlfriend was present at the wedding and sobbed from afar. Mrs. Son pulled out a tissue and blew on it. She was crying. Dawon glanced at her then to the screen. *Does love hurt when it end?*