CHAPTER 21

The Little Girl

“Naeun?”

                He looked away, didn’t dare to answer.

“That’s it!” Dabin left them.

“Dabin-ah!” Jongup and Ahyeon ran after her.

 

                Dabin slid open the class door that produced a loud bang. Everyone turned to the door and saw Dabin. She met eyes with Naeun but Naeun ignored her and continued to laugh with Bomi.

“YAH SON NAEUN!” Dabin snarled in rage. Naeun rolled her eyes and walked to the back of class where Dabin was.

“You think you can mess with my friend?!” “Of course I can” Naeun replied. “Your friend is just like you. R.U.B.B.I.S.H. No wonder both of you hang out together. Same species” she laughed.

“Leave my friend alone. She deserves happiness in this school. Ani. Everyone deserve a happy life” Dabin eyes went to one of the student in the class who was bullied by Naeun too.

“That mean I deserve to be happy too” Naeun grabbed a chair near her. “And I’m happy when I make you suffer”

                The chair flew to Dabin. She squinted her eyes, expecting the chair to bleed her. Everyone gasped. Dabin slowly opened her eyes and saw the chair froze in the air close in front of her face. “Jaehyun-ah” she called. Blood dripped onto the floor from Jaehyun’s head when part of the chair hit his head while he was holding onto the chair. Dabin gasped at sight of the blood. Jaehyun threw the chair away and continued to stare at Naeun.

“You think hurting other is what make you happy?” Jaehyun voiced. “Think again with that small brain of yours”

                Jongup and Ahyeon was standing at the door frame.

“Why are you defending her, Jaehyun? You used to hate her” Naeun was taken aback. “You said it yourself. I ‘used’ to hate her. But not now. You’re the one I hate the most now. Being childish by hurting other people precious person”

“If you want to hurt me” Dabin voiced. “Go on. But don’t touch the people I love”

“Shut up, !” Naeun replied. “You think I don’t know that you had been receiving gift from Jaehyun?!”

“No I’m not”

“So that’s why you’re this angry” Jaehyun chukled. “Because I had left breakfast for her every morning at her desk? I thought nobody will find out about it”

“You’re the one who gave me those food?” Dabin was touched. She met eyes with him. Jaehyun gave her a smile.

“But why do you even care about what I’m doing?” Jaehyun once again turned to Naeun. “Don’t tell me you did it out of jealousy. We’re nothing right now”

“But I still want you, Jaehyun!” “Correction. You still want my money. Isn’t that the only reason you had been dating me? For my money?” “Aniya. Babe, don’t say like that” “You and your new boyfriend can out of my life forever, !” “Yah” Naeun was speechless.

“Let’s go” Jaehyun pulled Dabin out from the class.

*             *             *

                Dabin was bandaging Jaehyun’s wounded head. He watched her who’s face was too close in front of him. His lips quivered, not to smile.

“Why are you doing it?” Dabin asked. “Nae?” he was confused. “I’m asking you. Why are you there at the class?”

“Oh” he looked around to find anything to make an excuse. “I was about to sleep when I heard a lion roared loudly it disturbed me”

“Lion?”

                He nodded and pointed at Dabin. “You’re the lion” he chuckled. Dabin smacked his chest. “Damn you, Jaehyun”

                He complained in pain but she ignored him. Jaehyun suddenly grabbed her arm and held it aside. “Actually I heard your voice. So I ran there afraid that Naeun might hurt you again. And I was right”

                Dabin avoided her eyes and swallowed her saliva. He smirked. “Why? Did I make you nervous, Dabin?” He decreased their gap. Dabin pushed him away. “Don’t you dare do anything funny or I will leave you here untreated”

“Leave me?” he quickly sat straight and still. “I’ll stay still. So don’t leave me”

                Dabin smirked and continued to bandage his head. “Anyway, thank you” “Hm?” “For helping me out just now. If you didn’t show up, I don’t think I can fight Naeun. You somehow gave me strength to face her”

                He smiled to himself.

*             *             *

                Ahyeon waved at Dabin from inside her family car. Dabin waved back from the roof walkaway outside the school. She watched as Ahyeon’s car left. Dabin turned and walked through the walkaway as always, heading home. She watched as students busy chating with each other. She smiled. Suddenly, the already grey sky started to pour down rain to the earth. Her eyes darted to the bus stop ahead of her. Dabin ran to take shelter under the empty bus stop. She sighed as she brushed off the rain drop off her uniform.

“Wonder when will the bus arrive?” she looked around but the bus was nowhere to be seen.

                She took out her phone. She began to search something on the net. A step of footsteps came running and took shelter at the bus stop. Dabin lifted her head. Jaehyun met eyes with her.

*I thought this guy always have his bike with him* she turned to the phone again.

                Jaehyun saw she was looking at Woobin’s blog. He smiled. *I love that blogger’s paintings too. We have something in common at least*

                Dabin stole a glance at Jaehyun who was staring far ahead into the raining sky. *Maybe I shouldn’t disturb him since he looks so at peace right now* She cleared .

                Jaehyun turned to her. “Hi” she greeted. He paused and looked around to find no one was at the bus stop except them. He pointed to himself. “You talking to me?”

“Of course who else is here?” “Tsk” Jaehyun chuckled. He turned to her with a smirk. “Hey, why do you suddenly talk to me? You thought we had been friends since that accident at the class, right?”

“Well…” she looked away and pressed her lips together in embarassement, regretting her decision of starting a conversation with him. “I thought we are”

“Or is it because you miss me bullying you? You want me to make you do my homework again?” he chuckled. Her eyes widened and shook her head violently. “No!”

“Don’t worry” Jaehyun turned to the road again. “I don’t think I want to disturb or hurt you ever again. Besides, everyone deserves a happy life” he gave a her a glimpse of smile.

                Dabin felt something strange, something she never felt before. She shut that thought off and couldn’t help but to stare at him.

“Seeing everyone have a happy life” Jaehyun began. “Made me want to have a happy life too. Maybe bullying people is not what I really want to do to be happy in life”

                She smiled and nodded. She stared ahead.

“Waiting for the bus?” he asked. “Uhuh. I want to drop off somewhere to buy grocery. You? What are you doing here? I thought you ride your bike to school” “You had been watching me I see” “No” she looked away. He smirked. “I sent my bike to the workshop. There is something wrong with it. Maybe it will be ready in a couple days. I have to wait for my mum. She’s taking me to dinner at a relative place this evening”

“Oh I see” she glanced down at her phone to look at the time.

“I saw you’re looking at the Woobin’s blog” “You know that blog?” she was delighted. “Of course. I love her paintings. They’re so gorgeous and realistic, like I can feel her emotion from her paintings. I had been following her updates for the past 3 years. Ever since she signs up into the account” “Woah I never knew you like this kind of things!” “Not many people know about this side of me” he smiled at her. “But I’m really a big fan of her. She said she had been painting since she was so small. It’s amazing how certain people able to find their talent at such a young age” “You’re right. I’m just taking a quick look at her blog. Because Ahyeon recommended it to me. And the paintings looked interesting” “They looks alive. Wait till you see her drawing of animals. About two months ago, she posted her painting of a tiger at it totally blows my mind” “You even memorise the date she released the photos? Daebak! You sure are her number 1 fan!” “Don’t worry you can just be her no. 2 fan” he smirked. “Heol” she rolled her eyes with a smile.

                Dabin’s eyes went to the earphone bud that hung out from his pocket. “You’ve been hearing music?” she pulled the earphone out and it was connected to his phone. “Yeah. I kind of interested in music” he replied with a coy smile. She wore one of them to her ear. “Play some song. I want to hear your favorite song”

“Yah” Jaehyun took the earphone out from her ear and helped wore another one to her ears. Their eyes widened in surprise. He quickly looked away. “You got it wrong. That one is longer”

“Oh” she nodded awkwardly.

                Jaehyun unlocked his phone and pressed a few icons. A melody of piano was played. He glanced at her. Dabin was staring ahead with a smile on her face. Her head swayed slowly to the melody of the piano. Suddenly the music stopped.

                Dabin turned to him.

“I couldn’t complete this song yet” Jaehyun stated. “But this is one of my favorite piece so far”

“You composed this melody?! It’s beautiful, Jaehyun!” “You think so?” his cheeks started to burn up. Dabin nodded eagerly. “I wish I can listen to it until it ends”

“But I don’t have any idea on how to finish it” his shoulder fell. Dabin suddenly began to hum a melody. His eyes slightly widened, surprised with what she was trying to do. “How about that?”

“Sounds nice” he followed the melody she had hummed. “Aniya” she corrected him. Jaehyun tried to hum again and she clapped her hands with glee. “That’s right!”

“I should try this when I got home. Woah, Dabin, I never know you have a music sense in you” “You don’t know me yet, Jaehyun” she smirked. He chuckled.

                A car stopped before them.

“It’s my mum” he pulled the earphone and kept it inside his pocket. Dabin met eyes with his mother in the driver seat. She bowed to her. His mother nodded with a smile.

“See you later, Dabin” he waved at her and quickly got into the passsenger’s seat.

                Dabin waved and watched as the car sped away.  

*             *             *

                Jaehyun was immersed in playing the piano in his room. He smiled widely and quickly wrote the notes down onto the music sheets. “Dabin’s right. I’m going to tell her this later at school”

                A series of knock on his door made him turned to the door. “Yes?” he voiced. The wooden door was opened to reveal his mother. Mrs. Uhm smiled at him. “Let’s go”

“Nae” Jaehyun collected the music sheets and placed it on the desk nearby. He walked out the room.