CHAPTER 3

The Little Girl

“You’re on leave today, right?” Dawon asked as the two was walking to school. “Uhuh” Dabin was holding onto her hand. “Let’s go eat at the new fast food restaurant later today”

“Woah! Really?” “Of course”

They stopped in front of Dawon’s new school.

“You like this new school?” Dabin asked. “So far everything just fine. My classmates are friendly” Dawon tried to recall. “And the teachers also help a lot. I think I’ll like here more”

“That’s good then” Dabin fixed the ribbon on Dawon’s hair. “Well, I see you later”

“Alright. Bye” Dawon waved and ran into the school.

* * *

Dabin and Dawon was walking down the rows of stores after school.

“I’m so full! Thank you, eonni” Dawon smiled broadly to her. Dabin smirked. “You do like to eat everything, do you?”

 

An ice-cream store was in front of them. Dabin pointed to the store. “Let’s eat that. You had been craving those, right?”

“Nah it’s okay” “Come on, Dawon. I just got my pay check yesterday. It’s no harm to spend some to enjoy ourselves” Dabin pulled Dawon to skip with her to the store.

“What flavour do you want?” Dabin turned to Dawon. “I’m not sure”

“Miss, what’s the best buy here?” Dabin asked the worker and the worker recommended her some famous flavours. “Alright I’ll take one of those and another strawberry sundae” Dabin done ordered.

A person accidentally knocked on Dawon. The person apologised and Dawon replied with a nod. She saw one of the dolls she hung on her bag fell onto the ground. She bent down to take it but another passer byer kicked it away as he was walking. The doll landed quite far.

Dawon rushed to her doll and bent down to take it. She brushed the dirt off with a smile. “You’re safe now”

Dabin turned to Dawon but she couldn’t be seen. “Dawoni?” she lifted her head around and saw her little sister. On the road.

Dawon lifted her head to the sound of deafening car horn. And a car gliding towards her. Her eyes widened.

* * *

“DAWON-AH!” Dabin wailed as she too pushed the stretcher into the hospital hallway. Dawon was on the stretcher, bleed on her head as she was knocked by the car. “Dawon-ah, you hear me?!”

Dawon was unconscious. Her bag was in Dabin’s grip together with the dolls. Blood stain can be seen on the clothes puppets. Another stretcher rushed passed them. Dabin stopped and let the doctors pushed Dawon into the surgery room. Dabin sobbed harder and flopped onto the floor. Her tears fell down onto the bag. “Please let my sister survive. I don’t want to lose her too” Her shoulder jolted as she was sobbing in front of the door.

* * *

A young female in her mid-20 turned to the other side of the bed. Her eyes started to open as the sunlight from outside shone into her spacious English-style room. She rubbed her eyes as she sat up from lying down. She pushed the blanket aside as she made her way out from the bed. She pushed her long black hair back. She paused and furrowed her eyebrows. “Long hair?” She gasped, cupped . “What happen to my voice?” She touched her face and rushed to the mirror near her. The reflection showed a young woman instead of what she always saw herself as in the mirror. The little girl.

“Lee Dawon” a male voice called her. The young woman gulped and turned around slowly in fear. There were a few unfamiliar males standing before her. “How do you know my name?” she stuttered. “Who are you?”

“How can I say this?” “She must be totally shock” “Yah, you explain to her” “Ani. You should”

The males talked among themselves.

“Excuse me” the younger woman called. “Can you tell me what exactly happening now? Why am I not myself? Who is this?” she pointed to herself. “I’m not this person. I’m just a small elementary student”

“Dawon” one of them took a step closer with a smirk. “Don’t you remember what happen? Don’t you recognise us? Don’t you recognise me?”

“No” she shook her head. “Who are you? Is this some kind of joke?”

“Come on. Think harder”

The young woman tried to recall what had happened. “Well, the last thing I remember is I pick up my dolls that fell on the road. And then there was a car”

“The doll” the male took her attention again. He smiled. The young woman gasped and stepped backward. “You! No way!”

“No” another male with long straight hair voiced. His eyes went to the other males with a smirk then to her. “All of us are”

“It doesn’t make any sense! I’m not buying it” “Well, does you being in another body like this make any sense, lil kid?”

The young woman couldn’t reply. “You mean- Wait. I still don’t understand”

“Well, Dawon. We knew you’ll be super confused. So let’s us explain what had happened”

“You changed body with someone” another male stated. “Change body? No way. But why?” she whispered, still in disbelieve. “You mean I have to live as someone else now?”

“Seems like it” “What happened? Why did this happen to me? I want to change to my own body back” “Why? Don’t you like it?” “Of course not!” “But it’s your wish, right?”

The young woman paused. “My wish?”

“You said you want to grow big and help your sister. You said that numerous times yourself, remember?” “Yes. But I don’t mean like this” She lifted her head to them. “Wait. How do you know my wish? I never tell anybody”

“Duh. You tell us every day” “Tell you?” “Yes” “But-“

One of them chuckled. “You still don’t recognise us, do you?”

“I never see all of you before. Who are you?” “Really? Come on, think harder” the guy approached her and played with her hair. “We even sleep together”

Her eyes widened.

“Yah! Don’t say things like that to her!” another guy said. “She’s just a little girl”

“I forgot” the guy chuckled. “We had been together for years. All of us. But it just that we unable to move or talk”

“Do you recognise that?” another male pointed to an object placed on the cabinet beside the window. Dawon looked at the doll house. “My doll house”

“It’s our house” the guy answered. “No way. I keep my” Dawon eyes went to each faces there. “Dolls there”

“Recognise us now?”

“No way. How can dolls turn into human? It doesn’t make any sense” she shook her head. “I must be dreaming” she covered her eyes with her hands. “By the time I open my eyes, I’ll still in my house like always. Yes, that’s what supposed to be” she nodded to reassure herself.

Dawon opened her eyes. She was still in the room with the guys before her. She turned to the mirror. The reflection still showed the young woman. “Aniya” she slapped her face. “Come on wake up”

“Dawon-ah” another guy called, trying to coax her.

Dawon flopped down and her view fell onto the floor. Tears stained the wooden floor. “This can’t be real”

A guy knelt before her and caressed her head. “This is real, Dawon. Please believe in us like you always did. We know this will be hard for you but just remember that we’ll be always be by your side”

Dawon lifted her head. She saw one of her dolls face in him. “Yehyeon?”

The guy smiled. “So you do recognise me?” She lifted her head to others and said their name one by one. “Moonbok, Donghan, Taedong, Sunghyuk, Donghyun and Hyunbin?” The males smiled.

“That’s great that you recognise us” Moonbok stated. “You must be in shock”

She nodded and smirked. “You bet”

Yehyeon helped her to stand. “I’m sure you’re still in denial but I’m sorry that I can’t hold the time any longer” his eyes went to the clock. The clock didn’t move. Dawon looked out and the tree was static and so did the butterfly that flew there. “The time stopped?” Dawon turned to him. He nodded “My magic”

“And each of us have different magic” Hyunbin explained. “Just where did Dabin eonni buy all of you?” Dawon smirked. “You turn into human and even have magic? Daebak!”

The guys face fell as the mention of the name.

“Talk about eonni, where is she?” Dawon asked.

“Well, she’s at your house” Donghan began. “But I don’t think you should go there”

“My eonni must be worried of me” Dawon quickly got up and headed to the door. Donghyun grabbed her by her shoulder and turned her around. “No. Dabin will not recognise you”

Dawon’s eyes trailed to the mirror and saw her reflection. The young woman not the little girl. Her head fell. “But I miss her. And she must be worried of me. I should be home to help her with breakfast now”

“Hey” Donghyun called. They met eyes and he gave her a smile. “You can meet her later though. We won’t stop you. Instead, we will help you”

“Really?” her face brightened with a smile. “Sure. That’s a promise” “Thank you” “But for now, you need to live as her” he spun her around to face her current reflection. “This eonni?” “Uhuh” he nodded. “This is Wendy Son, the owner of Younique Publisher”

Dawon’s eyes widened. “Owner?” “Yes. She’s a successful person at her young age, you see. But don’t worry. Since it’s her company, she rarely need to be at office” “So where did she go during office hour?”

“Hanging out” Moonbok answered. “With me. You see, we need to make a few changes here. So I am your best pal from school day, okay?”

“Alright” Dawon replied. “This eonni is having the highlight of her life. She must be a rich person”

“Can’t you tell?” Sunghyuk jerked his head around the room. “Your room alone is like 5-star suite. Well, it’s all because Wendy’s father own Son Hospital and your mother own a PR agency”

“So this eonni still have parents” Dawon mustered a smile. “And they’re successful. How lucky is her? But” she lifted her head to them. “What do I get from living as her? Is there something I must do while living as her?”

“You get a second chance” Hyunbin answered. “What do you mean?” “I mean Wendy have everything that you ever want. You are given a second chance to live with parents. That’s what you miss, right?”

Dawon looked into blank spaces, thinking. “Does this have anything to do with my accident?”

“Well, part of it” “So I’m dead now?” “Not exactly. Well, you should right? How can a person live when she lost too much blood after being hit by a car in the head?”

“Yah” Taedong nudged him. “What? I’m just saying the truth” Hyunbin rolled his eyes.

“Well, now that you have a ‘second chance’, why don’t you just enjoy this life?” Taedong asked. “Will I live as this eonni forever?” “That’s depend on the choices you made in this girl’s life” “What do you mean?” “Well, you’ll understand about it later”

“Sorry guys” Yehyeon turned to the clock and so did the others. The needle of the clock quivered.

Donghyun held her on her shoulder and looked into her eyes. “Okay now listen, Dawon. From this moment onward, you’re Wendy Son Seungwan. You’re 26-years old. Every day you’ll have breakfast with your parents at the dining table. You will go there and treat them nicely like any other adults. And then, Moonbok will come and pick you up, okay? We’ll tell you more later. Now just be ready”

“But what about all of you? Where are you going?” Dawon asked.

Hyunbin smirked and snapped his finger. His clothes suddenly changed into a suit. Dawon was amazed that left ajar. “Daebak!”

Hyunbin fixed the coat. “I’m your personal guard, miss Wendy” Donghyun did the same. “I’m your PA” Yehyeon held out his hand and a ladle appeared in his grip. “I’m your cook” Sunghyuk snapped his finger and he changed into a white doctor coat. “I work with your father at the hospital, miss Wendy”. Donghan took out a black chauffeur hat and wore it. “I’m your personal driver”. Taedong smiled sheepishly “I’m a teacher”

“Teacher?” she asked. “Yes. At a school. You’re the director there” “What the!” “And so that I can teach you since you’re just a little girl in adult’s body” “I’ll be needing you a lot later, teacher” she replied sarcastic.

They turned to Moonbok. He replied their gaze. “What…Why are you looking at me?”

“You’re just my friend? That’s it?” she asked. “Yea of course. I’m the CEO of a company under yours. One Company. It’s the building beside yours” “Oh I see”

“You guys ready?” Yehyeon asked. They turned to the clock. He snapped his finger and the clock able to tick again.

“Yah” Donghan called Hyunbin. “Hurry up send us out of here”

“I know” Hyunbin gave him a glare then turned to Dawon. “See you later, miss Wendy”

“Nae” she waved with a smile and so did them. Hyunbin snapped his finger and the guys disappeared out from the room.

"Wendy~" there was a knock on her door. Dawon gasped and quickly fixed her hair. "My daughter?" the female voice called. "Omma and appa will have breakfast in a minute. Are you awake yet?" Mrs. Son asked.

Dawon cleared . "Nae…omma. I'm awake"


"Join us for breakfast okay?" "Nae… Let me… get ready first" "Alright, dear"

There was a set of footsteps down the stairs near her room. Dawon sighed in relieve. “That was awkward” She looked around. “Alright let’s just enjoy this dream while it last, shall we?”