CHAPTER 24

The Little Girl

“Donghyun!” Hyunbin caught up to Donghyun who was walking through the hallway in the school. Donghyun glanced at him. “I have it with me” Hyunbin spoke. Donghyun stopped and looked around to see only both of them were there.

                Donghyun held out his hand. Hyunbin passed his phone to him. Donghyun stared at the screen with furrowed eyebrows. “You’re right. It’s him” Hyunbin voiced and zoomed in into the silhouette in the picture. A man with face masked in shadow from the street light in front of their house on one night. “Eric” Donghyun whispered. He looked up to Hyunbin. “When is this taken?”

“The front door CCTV caught this on the night Dawon ran out of house after she had a fight with you. And Moonbok transformed into doll again in front of the door step. But don’t worry” Hyunbin said. “I made sure this CCTV is deleted before Mr. and Mrs. Son can even watch it”

“No. That’s not what I worry about” “I know. Eric is suspicious about us ever since me and Donghan thrash him the other day. He kept on trying to sneak into the house. I saw him but both Donghan and Sunghyuk took care of him when they caught him. But during this day, we failed to see him. It’s our fault” “No. It’s my fault. I’m the one who made her run out the house the other day and Moonbok had to go search for her. None of this will happen if I” Donghyun sighed. Hyunbin patted his shoulder. “We can’t let our cover blow just because of this guy. It’s too early for us to leave Dawon” “Yes. So now what? What do you think we should do?”

“I tried to track this guy. But weirdly he’s no where to be found. I don’t know where he goes” “It’s alright. We need to focus on keeping Dawon and Wendy safe from that guy”

                Hyunbin nodded in agreement.

 

                Donghyun looked up to see both Dawon and Dabin approached them as they were chatting. Hyunbin kept his phone away. The school bell rang indicating the school session was over for the day.

“You’re out early” he voiced. “Mr. Kim let us out early today” Dabin replied. She saw Hyunbin and waved at him. Hyunbin smiled and waved at her.

“Let’s go” Dabin turned to Donghyun. “Alright” he smiled.

“You three looks like sibling” Hyunbin voiced.

                Donghyun, Dabin and Dawon looked at each other.

“We do?” Dabin pointed to Dabin. “Then Wendy eonni is the first child, Donghyun oppa is the second child and I’m the maknae. Daebak!”

“You’re that exicted to be the maknae?” Dawon chuckled. “Of course. I have never been a maknae all my life” “Never? Alright. Today let this eonni of yours treat you to lunch” “Really?! Yea!!!”

                Hyunbin watched as they walked ahead. He smiled but then it faded.

*How will they feel when they know the real reason we exist...*

Jaehyun was watching them from the class upstairs. He leaned against the window. A smile form as he saw Dabin. Jongup approached him and followed his stares. "Yah, you said you want to take me to taste a new fast food outlet"


"Nae nae" Jaehyun didn’t even look at him. Jongup sighed and brought his arm to his chest, crossed. "Are you even listening to me?"


"I can't help but fall for her every single day" Jaehyun smiled alone as he continued to stare at Dabin.


"Tsk. You and your joke, Jaehyun" "I'm being real this time. Believe me"

Jongup smirked.
 

Dabin, Dawon and Donghyun walked ahead with Hyunbin followed. He looked up only to meet eyes with Jaehyun. They stared at each other for a moment before Hyunbin smirked and left.
"I dont understand where these scary looking guy work for my cousin come from. I've never seen them before"

*             *             *

Dabin turned to Dawon and Donghyun behind them. "Wait here" she giggled and rushed into a nearby dessert shop. Donghyun and Dawon looked at each other and laughed.


"You sure that's your eonni?" he voiced. "She's a little girl this whole day"
 

"I know right. She had been jumping and screaming this whole day. She must be overexited"
 

They continued to walk. Dawon stopped. There was a street before her with a zebra line. Donghyun approached her. "Dawon-ah"


"It's this road right?" she whispered.
 

She could feel as if everyone around them froze and her focus went totally to the road. "Wendy eonni was hit here"
 

"You must be tired, little girl"

Donghyun and Dawon looked at each other. They looked to the the front to see an old lady with a small mysterious smirk flashed across her lips. Her straw hat shaded her face in the midst of bright sunlight. She shifted her view to Donghyun. “And you, kid. You know you can’t enjoy this moment forever”

“What do you mean, Grandma?” Dawon’s eyebrows furrowed. “Why do you call me little girl?”

“Being in this long dream is tiring, right?” she smirked. Both Donghyun and Dawon was stunted that they froze.

*Who’s she?* Donghyun thought and gulped. *How does she know about Dawon?*

 

 

“Yah!” Dabin nudged both Dawon and Donghyun on their shoulder. Dawon and Donghyun jolted in surprise. The old lady was nowhere to be seen. They turned to each other in confusement.

“Yah” Dabin called. Donghyun and Dawon turned to her. Dabin beamed and held out a chocolate sundae to them. “My treat. Thank you for taking me out today”

“Nae” Donghyun chuckled nervously. He turned to Dawon who continued to stare at Dabin.

“Wendy eonni?”

*Who was that old lady? She looks like she knew everything about me. Will I meet her again? Will she know what I should do with this other people's life? Or is she just my imagination? But Donghyun saw her too. So she's real? *

Dabin placed her hand on her shoulder that made Dawon jolted. She met her concerned eyes. Dabin's eyebrows furrowed. "You okay, eonni? You look pale"


"Really?" *Maybe I forgot to breathe* Dawon cleared and mustered a smile. She took the sundae "This is for me, right? Thank you"


"You sure you're fine, eonni?"


"Of course" Dawon nodded with a smile. “Come” she linked arms with her. “Let’s go”

*             *             *

Both Donghyun and Dawon waved at Dabin as they dropped her off in front of her home. Donghan drove the car. He glanced back at Dawon. She threw her view out of the window, lost in thought. And so was Donghyun.

“What’s with you two?” Hyunbin who sat beside Donghan asked as he noticed the tense atmosphere. Donghyun lifted his head, facing him, gave her a glance which she didn’t reply, and turned to both Donghan and Hyunbin. “You think besides us, does anyone know about our situation?”

“What do you mean?”