CHAPTER 20

The Little Girl

“Yah, Lee Dabin!” Jongup snarled as he chased Dabin through the hallway. Dabin laughed. She glanced at him who was catching up to her. “I will give this to her” she waved the love letter Jongup had written.

“Aniya, Dabin-ah!”

                She sped off. She turned into another hallway. Dabin gasped as she was pulled away by her arm. She let a few moments passed by and slowly she opened her eyes.

 

                Jaehyun’s face was close in front of her. He was the one who pulled her into the storage room. He pinned her right arm down where she was gripping the love letter.

“Let me go” she warned. He smirked and decreased their gap. “And if I don’t want to?”

                Dabin grabbed onto his collar with her left arm. “I’ll strangle you until you dead”

“Sounds fun. But will you able to do it before I could do this?” he leaned in and his lips almost touched hers.

                The door was opened wide. They lifted their head. Jongup saw them and gasped. He quickly slammed the door shut again. “What did I just saw?”

                Jaehyun chuckled. “I thought we were caught. That was close! Too close!”

                Dabin glared at him and slapped him across his face. “You sure like to play with girls, do you Jaehyun?”

                He was stunted. He chuckled and touched his slapped cheek. “Usually when I do that to someone, that person just continued to kiss me”

“Well, unfortunately I’m not like them” she pushed him away in rage. She glared at him and opened the door. She shoved the letter to Jongup who was leaning close against the wall to hear their conversation. “Please keep an eye on your best friend. He’s going losing his mind day by day” she stormed off.

                Jongup turned to Jaehyun who was walking out the room. Jaehyun smirked. “Well, she’s different”

“Yah, Jaehyun” Jongup sighed. “Can you just stop disturbing her?”

“Why? It’s fun!”

*             *             *

                Dabin was walking with Ahyeon through the hallway.

“Look” Ahyeon shoved her phone to Dabin’s face. The screen showed a painting of a rural area landscape with the paddy field as the background of a car in the evening. “Isn’t this nice?”

“Nae” Dabin took the phone and scrolled to look at other pictures posted on the blog. “Woobin?” she read the username.

“Yea. I had been visiting this blog because the blogger posted her painting and the paintings blow my mind everytime I looked at it” “You’re right. It’s gorgeous”

                Dabin’s mind went to the time when Dawon along with her other family member visited the paddy field. Dawon kept on glancing back at their mother who was holding onto someone.

                Dabin returned the phone to Ahyeon. She mustered a smile. *I sure miss that good old time*

                Her neat hair was suddenly ruffled. Dabin looked up. “YAH JAEHYUN!”

                Jaehyun stuck out his tongue and got away. Dabin snorted and fixed her hair.

“What’s wrong with that jerk?” Ahyeon glared as Jaehyun ran away. “I don’t know” Dabin replied. “And I don’t want to know”

                Naeun who saw them and hid back into the class. She clenched a tight fist.

*             *             *

                Dawon was helping both Mr. and Mrs. Son setting up their picnic area at the beach. “Put it there” Mrs. Son replied to Dawon as she asked where to put the ice box. Minutes lates, they settled themselves under the umberella. Mr. Son sighed in relieve as he took his place at the lazy beach chair. Mrs. Son and Dawon laid down on the picnic matt.

“This is so relaxing!” Mrs. Son stretched her arms. “I’m so happy that we’re here together”

                Dawon chuckled. “Wait till you see this” she turned around and waved someone over. The person in white blouse and navy blue skirt approached them. Both Mr. and Mrs. Son sat up, eyes widened. Seungmi bowed with a shy smile. “Hello, omma appa”

                Mrs. Son stood and pulled her into an embrace. “Seungmi. This is really you, right?” tears from her eyes flowed down her slightly wrinkled cheeks. Seungmi nodded and wiped her tears. “Nae omma” She met eyes with Mr. Son who approached her. “Appa” she called. Mr. Son pulled both of them into hug. “Welcome home, sunshine”

                Dawon watched them with a smile.

 

 

 

 

                Dawon was staring far at the sea. She smiled.

“Can I” a voice made her turn. Seungmi looked away when they met eyes. “Join you?”

“Sure” Dawon patted the empty space beside her. Seungmi didn’t move. “Come don’t be shy” Dawon pulled her to sit close beside her.

“You okay?” Dawon held onto her hand. “Your hand is cold and trembling”

“Nae” Seungmi forced a smile. “I’m actually… emmm… afraid of people That’s why I’m quite… nervous actually”

                Dawon smiled and slung her arm to her shoulder. “Relax. You can be yourself around your family member” Seungmi smiled and nodded. “Nae, eonni”

“That sounds nice. I like it. Call me eonni often, okay?”

                Seungmi nodded. Dawon let go off her and stared ahead. “I like it now. Omma and appa are happy now that you’re back”

“I’ll make sure not to leave again” Seungmi voiced. “I don’t want to make them sad. Ever”

                They exchanged smiles. Dawon suddenly pouted and looked away. “But you have to make up for everything you did to me before this”

“Nae?” Seungmi was confused but suddenly was pulled into the water by Dawon.

                Dawon laughed wickedly as she managed to pull Seungmi into water.

“Owh so you want to fight with me aye?” Seungmi splashed water to Dawon. She shrieked.

                Mr. and Mrs. Son who were watching them laughed at their interaction.

 

 

                Mrs. Son came to see the girls were burying Mr. Son in the sand.

“Omo, honey, what happen?” Mrs. Son laughed. “I have only my head now” Mr. Son replied as he was buried up to his chest.

                Dawon laughed so hard as Seungmi made a mermaid body for Mr. Son. Mrs. Son joined her to laugh and took their camera. She took a picture of them.

 

 

                Dawon spent the rest of the evening collecting seashells with Seungmi.

“Will you move in to live with us, Seungmi?” Dawon asked. “I’ve been thinking about that lately” Seungmi looked at her. “Can I live at my house? I’ll pay a visit often; I promise”

“Sure. I’m okay with that” “Woah, thank you, eonni. I thought you’ll force me to stay with you” “You’re grown up now, Seungmi. I can’t force you to make your life decision just because I’m your elder sister. I will guide you when I need to”

                They exchanged smiles.

“Thank you for understanding, eonni”

*             *             *

                Dabin opened the chat she had with Dawon the other day. She viewed the picture Dawon sent with Seungmi. Dabin smiled. “She’s so happy now that her younger sister is reunited with the family again” Dabin sighed. “When will I be reunited with my sister again?”

                Dabin’s eyes landed on the ribbon tied to Dawon’s hair.

“Dabin-ah”

                Dabin lifted her head to meet eyes with Jongup. His face was unhappy. He turned to his side. Ahyeon was facing down, shoulder shuddered. Dabin kept her phone and held Ahyeon on her shoulder. “Ahyeon-ah”

                Ahyeon was sobbing. Her hair turned white from the flour thrown at her.

“Who did this to her?” Dabin turned to Jongup. “Jaehyun?”

“No” he replied but paused.