CHAPTER 26

The Little Girl

“Guys” Yehyeon looked at the others who was at the living space in Wendy’s room. They looked at him then away. Their faces were solemn. Sunghyuk glanced at the calendar in his hands. A date 2 weeks away from that date was marked. “We’re not going to talk about this? Seriously” Yehyeon pushed his hair back in frustration. “This is why we’re here”

“Yes we know that” Moonbok voiced. He heaved a sigh. Donghyun buried his face into his palm. Donghan patted his back.

“Can we do anything that doesn’t require having to tell Dawon about it? She’s just a little girl. And Dabin is her sister” Sunghyuk voiced.

                The lightning flashed the room. They looked up as the lightning was blocked by a figure. Dawon was standing there with a tray of warm drinks and some biscuits. “Tell me what?”

“Dawon-ah” Taedong faked a smile. “Nothing. We just talk about Eric”

                Dawon put the tray down. “You know you’re not good at lying, right Taedong?”

                Sunghyuk slowly hid the calendar under a cushion in his grip. Dawon snatched it away and made everyone gasped. She saw the marked date. “Someone’s birthday? Who is it? Wendy eonni’s parents? Or their anniversary? We should prepare for the celebration”

“No, Dawon” Hyunbin voiced.

                The guys shot glares at him. Hyunbin noticed the stares and sighed.

“What are you guys talking about? There’s something I don’t know, right?” she noticed the gloomy atmosphere surrounding them. They avoided her eye contact. “Come on tell. Hurry”

“You shouldn’t know about this” Donghan voiced. “Why? Because to you, I’m still a little girl? That’s why you can’t tell?!” “Aniya, Dawon. It just…” he sighed.

“Come on, guys” Dawon turned to Moonbok. “Moonbok-ah, tell me”

                Moonbok looked away, avoiding to answer.

“That’s it!”

                They looked up to see Donghyun stood with his fist clenched tightly. His face looking down. A tears stained the carpet below him. Dawon was stunted. “Yah, Donghyun” Donghan whispered. Donghyun bit his lips and looked straight at Dawon.

“It’s Dabin” Donghyun chocked out the words he tried to keep to himself. “What’s with eonni?” Dawon asked.

*             *             *

                Dawon ran through the rain out from the house. Her tears were not clearly seen as it was raining heavily. She ran passed the houses and roads.

                Donghyun dropped onto his knees, tears slid down his cheeks. His shoulder shuddered as he sobs hard. Donghan pulled him into his embrace. The others were speechless as grief surrounded them.  

 

 

 

                Dawon stopped out of the café Dabin was working. She stared at her sister as she sent orders to customers at their tables. Dabin was smiling cheerfully. She met eyes with Jaehyun who was sitting at one of the table there. They exchanged coy smiles.

“Why?” Dawon continued to sob. *Eonni is happy right now. It’s unfair! Why?*

-Flashback-

“What do you mean Dabin eonni’s death?” Dawon was confussed. “She’s going to be in an accident on that day” Donghyun continued. “At the same place you got into accident. She’ll lose too much blood and before she could reach the hospital, she’s dead”

                Dawon froze. Her heart sank. The calendar fell off her grip.

“Dawon-ah” Yehyeon called but she didn’t respond. Her eyes blurred with tears as she turned and dashed out the room.

-End of flashback-

                Dawon covered as she sobs harder. She fell onto her knees. *Dabin eonni is enjoying her life now! She can’t be dead! She can’t leave me alone!*

                The rain suddenly stopped pouring onto her. Dawon looked up to the red umberella above her. Seungmi held out her hand to her. Dawon took her hand and stood.

“You okay, eonni?” Seungmi asked. Dawon shook her head and embraced her tightly. Seungmi patted her back. “It’s okay. Everything is going to be okay” Her eyes went to the people in the café and saw Jaehyun.