CHAPTER 30

The Little Girl

 

                Donghyun pushed the slidding door open as he stepped out to the wooden walkaway that led to the garden. He glanced back at the table Dawon used to do her homework. He remembered watching her doing her homework and lazying around. He smirked alone. “I’ll sure to miss that moment a lot”

                His attention went to the pond. He bent over to watch the fish with colours on them began to fade. Donghyun glanced at the kitchen. Both Dawon and Dabin were not watching him. He dipped his hand into the cold water of the pond. “Let me help you, fish” His hand glew as well as the fishes in the pond. He was healing them. But the glow didn’t last long as it began to fade away and come again a few time. He tilted his head in confusement. “What happen?” The glow disappeared completely. He took out his hand again and stared at it. “Don’t tell-“ his head snapped up to Dawon who was chatting happily with Dabin. “No it’s not Dawon”

“Our times is running out, Donghyun” Yehyeon’s voice rang into his mind.

“We’re disappearing” Donghyun sighed. “I can’t believe all of this happen so fast”

“You should tell them, Donghyun” this time, Donghan’s voice rang into his mind. Donghyun sighed. He lifted his head once again to both Dawon and Dabin. “How can I tell them”

                The family picture on the wall displayed Dawon, Dabin and their parents with smiles in their faces. With another small child in their mother’s arm.

“I’m their brother?”

*             *             *

                Dawon picked up her phone after she put the hot pot on the table. She answered the video call.

“Dawon-ah” Hyunbin voiced. “Hi, Hyunbin-ah” Dawon waved at him.

“Who is it?” Dabin came to the table. Dawon showed the phone to Dabin. “Owh, Hyunbin-ssi. Hi” Dabin waved at him. “Hi, Dabin-ssi” he smiled back. “It’s good to know Wendy arrive there safely”

“You sure worry about too much. I will take care of her, don’t worry” “Nae I know”

                Dawon pulled the phone to her again. “Where are you? I thought you’re coming”

“We’re eating outside. So I don’t think we’ll join you tonight” Hyunbin answered. “We?” “Yep”

                Hyunbin moved his phone so she can see Sunghyuk, Yehyeon, Taedong, Moonbok and Donghan with him. “Hi!” they waved at her. “Owh so you left me and Donghyun out” she pouted.

“Aniya, Wendy-yah” Moonbok took the phone. “We met Hyunbin by chance so I thought maybe he can join us for dinner”

“We’ll make sure to come next time” Hyunbin voiced.

                Dawon held her phone far so Dabin can be seen.

“Sure come anytime” Dabin replied. “I can always cook for everyone”

“Wendy, where’s Donghyun?”

                Dawon and Dabin looked at each other then around the house. Dawon shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe he’s in the toilet”

“Make sure he looks after you” “Yah, I can take care of myself” “Nae nae” he chuckled. “I’m hanging up”

“Nae. Bye”

                The call ended.

“You just want to let them spend their time alone at that house, right?” Taedong asked Hyunbin. He nodded with a soft smile. “Those siblings need to spend time together now that we only left a little bit of time”

 

Dawon lifted her gaze and saw Donghyun closed the sliding door behind him.

“Hyunbin is not coming”

“Really?” he sat with them at the table. “Never mind. Let’s just have dinner ourselves”

“Alright” Dabin helped to scoop for the rice. “Did you go see the fishes?”

“Nae” *And I can’t heal them…* “You see the buttercup near the pond?” “It’s gorgeous. I’m sure you have green finger” “Nah. Actually it’s wilting the other day. But suddenly it grows again. And I’m so happy that I had been drawing the flower lately”

                Donghyun smirked at remembering Sunghyuk told him he visited the house the other day and helped the flower to bloom. *He’ll love it when I tell him Dabin is overjoy with his gift*

 

“Here, Donghyun oppa” Dabin held out the bowl of rice to him. “Thank you” he received it. He turned to the side dishes prepared before him. *I’m so lucky to be able to have their cooking. All this while we can only watch the food*

*             *             *

“Thank you, oppa” Dabin and Donghyun walked out from the kitchen after doing the dishes. “Nae no prob” he smiled. Dabin saw Dawon was going through her sketch book. Donghyun watched as Dabin made her way to Dawon. He smiled. *It’s so nice to spend time with both of them*

“Dabin-ah” Dawon glanced at her as she took a seat beside her. “This is the old one” she went through the pages and stopped at the painting of buttercup flowers. “This the latest one”

Dawon gasped. “Daebak! Donghyun-ah, come! You’ve got to see this”

“This is beautiful, Dabin-ah” Donghyun sat beside Dawon. “Thanks” Dabin beamed.

“Your Jaehyun will love this when he sees it” “I didn’t show this to him yet. But I’ll make sure to show it to him before I post it on the blog”

“Oh so you will show all your new art to him first” Dawon crossed her arm and nodded, pretended to be hurt. “It seems that both Donghyun and I will only see your artwork only after you posted it on the blog. Right, Donghyun? Sadly, we’re less important”

“Yea. Lucky Jaehyun. Aish” he joined Dawon. “Aniya” Dabin chuckled. “I’ll make sure to show it to you two too. Don’t worry”

                Donghyun looked down to his phone as he received a text message.

“Wendy, it seems that Donghan can’t come and pick us up. The car broke down”

“Really? Aigo” Dawon sighed. “Stay for the night” Dabin voiced. “The house has many empty rooms”

                Donghyun and Dawon exchanged glances. “Nah it’s okay, Dabin-ah” he voiced. “We can take the taxi home”

“Owh stay here tonight” Dabin pouted. “This house is too quiet with me alone”

                Dawon smiled and nodded. “Sorry for troubling you, Dabin”

“No, not a bit. I’d always wanted my friends to stay at my house”

*             *             *

                Dabin turned off the lamp of the living room.

“I need to use the toilet for a while” Dawon walked through the hallway. “Alright. Then come to my room with the pink signage on them” Dabin voiced. Dawon lifted her hand in reply.

                Dabin turned to Donghyun who was staring into one of her painting. It was the picture of paddy field.

“Donghyun oppa” she called. He snapped his head from staring at the painting. “You okay?”

“Nae” he nodded. Oddly, he remembered being little about months after his born. The family went to the paddy field. And he remembered seeing both his sisters playing around at the paddy field with both their parents watching them.

                Donghyun put down the sketch book. He approached Dabin and locked eyes with her. She looked at him. She saw the family picture behind him. A small gasp escaped her lips. The baby in the picture and Donghyun has the same eyes. He took another step closer and embraced her tightly. “Noona” his whisper trailed off melancholy at the thought of her leaving the world.

“Donghyun?” Dabin was confused. “But how-You’re just a few months when you, omma and appa involve in accident” tears trailed down her cheeks.

“It’s a long story, noona. But I just want you to know that it’s so nice to know you. And I love you so much. Thank you for taking care both me and Dawon noona all this while”

                Dabin couldn’t reply to him and sobbed in his arms.