CHAPTER 35

The Little Girl

                A young woman in her 20 turned to the other side of her bed. She was sweating and panting in her sleep. In her dream, she looked down to see three dolls already laid at her feet. She looked to the side and saw the wide electronic screen on a building that display the news of the day. The date written ‘5th July’. She looked down again to the road before her. Another young female was crossing the road. A car glided towards her. Another familiar female ran towards the one on the road.  

“NO!” the young woman sat up from her bed. She caught up her breath and patted on her cheeks for a few times. “Chill, Wendy. It’s just a dream”

                Wendy turned to the calendar on the drawer beside her. The date ‘5th July’ was already circled. “I wonder why am I seeing the same dream many times” she sighed and pinched her painful head. “Will that girl really going to hit by that car? But why am I seeing myself running to the girl?” her eyebrows furrowed. “That’s just another same weird dream. Let’s just ignore it, shall we?”  

*             *             *

                Dawon opened her eyes to the blinding sunlight. She looked around the meadow. A gust of wind sent the long grasses to sway. “Where am I?” Her eyes widened at her voice and looked to her hands and whole body. “I’m back into my body!”

“Excuse me?”

                Dawon turned around only to find the body she had been using for the past few months. Wendy’s face displayed confusement with her eyes went around wildly through the meadow. “Where are we?”

“Wendy eonni” Dawon called. Wendy tilted her head. “You know me?”

“Nae” Dawon nodded with a wide smile. She bowed. “I am Lee Dawon”

“Nae. Hi” Wendy replied. “Have we met before? How can you know me?”

“Well, how can I say this. This sounds weird but both of us switched body for the past few months” “You sure? That doesn’t sound logic” “Both of us were in accident at the exact same times. And you see, I got into your body so I expect you to be in my body. But looks like you’re just awake just now”

“The accident” Wendy tried to recall. “So you’re saying you lived as me?”

“Nae. And don’t worry. I take good care of your life. And I didn’t tell anyone the truth. Well, except Seungmi eonni” “My sister? You know her?” “Yes. You’re lucky to have a nice sister like her” “But both Seungmi and I…we’re not in a good condition” “I fixed that” “You mean?” “I thought of a way to pay you back for lending me your body so I thought maybe I could make up you sisters relationship again”

“You really did that, Dawon?” Wendy covered with her hands, eyes trembled with tears that would fall any second. Dawon nodded with a smile. “I know you had been wanting to fix your relationship with her”

“So you read my diary?” Wendy smirked. Dawon smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry. I just couldn’t stop myself from doing so”

“Hey”

                The girls turned to the voice. Donghyun approached them with a smile.

“Yah, Donghyun!” Dawon ran to him and hugged him tightly. “Aigo, Dawon-ah” he chuckled and caressed her head. The rest came and joined them.

“Hi, Wendy-ssi” Moonbok bowed to Wendy. “Hi” she bowed back. “Do you know me?”

“Of course” Yehyeon replied. “It’s kind of a long story. Did Dawon told you about you two switched body?”

“Yes. But that just doesn’t sound true”

“We have many things to explain to you two” Donghan voiced. “First about the accident”

                Dawon turned to him. “You must be excited to hear this Dawon” he voiced. “You used my magic to divert the car away from Dabin”

                Her eyes widened. “Really?! I really did that?!”

“Yes” Donghyun replied. “Just like the other day at the school, about the scar on my hand. I don’t want to tell you this but it’s actually you who used my magic to cure me”

“But it’s amazing that you able to do that” Sunghyuk voiced. “Maybe because you really wish for it from your heart”

“I should do that again. Woah” Dawon smirked. “I’m still surprised. I’m actually a super girl back there” she chuckled proudly.

“I’m sorry” Wendy interrupted. They turned to her. “What is this magic thing? I don’t get it?”

“All of this may seems unreal to you, Wendy-ssi” Taedong voiced.

“Yes. This whole situation is not logic. Am I by any chance in another weird dream?”

                Yehyeon smiled and nodded. “Yes, you are. In fact, maybe the last time either one of you to have a dream” “What do you mean?”

“You’re scaring her, Yehyeon” Donghan joined.

“What does that mean?” Dawon looked at them one after another. Sunghyuk sighed and turned to Dawon. “Your chance of surviving is too thin from the accident you two were in. I’m afraid either one of you had to leave the world”

“What?” Wendy was too numb to cry. Her eyes met Dawon. Her eyes sadden. “But” Dawon swallowed passed the lump. “If I go, will you take care of Dabin eonni for me?”

                The guys looked at each other. “We’re not from here, Dawon” Sunghyuk voiced. “There’s no way we can continue to live as human. We’re dead for years”

“You’re leaving too?” her face fell to face the ground. Tears stained her shoes. “Why do you come to me when you know you’re going to leave me?”

                Taedong pulled her into his embrace. “I’m sorry we couldn’t keep our promise to stay and protect you forever” “It’s not fair! Please, someone need to take care of my eonni!”

“Dawon-ah” he sighed and released her. Dawon flopped onto the ground, pulled her knees into her embrace and buried her face into it. She wailed more. They couldn’t do anything but only to watch her.

“Can that change if I choose to leave instead?”

                All of them lifted their head to Wendy. “Will all of you stay if I choose to leave?” she asked again.

“No, Wendy” Moonbok voiced. “Nothing can be change. We’re just carrying out our job”

“No, Wendy eonni” Dawon voiced. “Seungmi eonni need you. Your parents need you”

“But if you only have that one family member left, you should cherish her”

                They were speechless at her word.

“I guess you love your eonni so much because she’s the only you have left. Is that right, Dawon?”

                Dawon nodded. “I don’t want her to feel lonely”

“Then that’s the answer. Let me leave instead of Dawon” Wendy voiced. “No, Wendy” Sunghyuk voiced. “We just don’t make our decision on our own here”

“Yah!!”

                They looked up. Hyunbin was running towards them. He doubled over in exhausted. “Good news!”

“What is it?” Donghyun asked.

“Wait” Hyunbin raised his hand to stop other from asking him again while he was catching up to his breath. He stood straight. “That’s was tiring”

“Yah, hurry up! What is it?”

“Both Dawon and Wendy can live”

“Really?!” Donghyun turned to Dawon who already jumping up in excitement. Wendy smiled. Taedong went to Hyunbin. “It seems that they consider our last request” “You bet” Hyunbin smiled.

“Request? What is it?” Wendy asked. Taedong shook his head. “Nothing big”

“But it seems like something both Dawon and I need to know. Enough of any other secret”

“Yea what’s the request?” Dawon controlled her excitement and asked.  

                The guys exchanged stares. Dawon’s eyes landed on Taedong. “Come on tell us”

                Hyunbin sighed. “We know you can’t stop yourself from giving up to Dawon. Go on, tell them, Taedong”

“Well” Taedong began. “Since we accomplished our mission but partly broke some rules, we made some negotiate with upper person. Our mission was supposed to save either Dabin or you but we decided to save both of you so because we disobeyed, we have to receive a punishment. They actually decided to take you away, Dawon. But we made a request” he met eyes with the others.

“It’s about us” Donghyun explained. “We should be able to return to stay with you as dolls again, just like before but we thought what’s the point of being around when you’re not there” he smiled to her.

“So you requested for me to stay alive” Dawon looked at them in their eyes. “And you…”

“All of us will be gone, Dawon” Donghan added.

“No!” Dawon shook her head. “You should ask them to consider your request again! This is not fair! You don’t discuss this thing with me before making any decision! You know you can’t make that kind of decision without me!”

“Dawon-ah” Hyunbin caressed her head. “We don’t belong to the world anymore. We’re dead for years. We should go to where we should go”

“And leave me alone?” she wiped her tears. “Who will accompany me while I’m eating, doing my homework? Who will sleep with me and drive away all the monsters in my dream? Who will listen to my story, blabbering at school? Who will accompany me when I’m alone?” her shoulder jolted as she sobs more.

                Wendy watched as they pulled Dawon into embrace.

“We’re sorry, Dawon” Moonbok voiced. “We can’t do anything about it. We’re sorry we had to leave you”

“We’re sorry for troubling you all this while. I hope you have a happy life” Yehyeon voiced. “Aniya” she replied. “I’m the one who should apologise that you guys had to take care of me. You had been a huge help to me. And”

                They broke the hug.

“I want to thank all of you” Dawon mustered a smile. “For making me happy, for teaching me many things and for always being there when I need someone the most”

“We will always be with you in your heart, Dawon” Taedong voiced. Dawon nodded.

                The sky suddenly turned darker in seconds and stars started to appear in the night sky.

“Looks like it’s already time” Sunghyuk looked up to the sky. “Last time for us to see the night sky. I’m going to miss this beautiful nature so much”

                He looked down and met eyes with Wendy. He pulled her to join them. “I wish we have plenty of time to tell you everything, Wendy. But I guess you will hear about everything from Dawon”

                Wendy nodded. “I’m sure I will need her to tell me later. I have so many to ask but like you say, we don’t have much time left so I just keep my questions for now” she smiled. “But I can see that all of you love each other so much like family”

“Yes we are” Yehyeon smiled to Dawon. “Oh, Wendy-ssi” he turned to her again. “Tell your father that he did a really good job and he should rest”

“I’ll do that. And thank you for everything, all of you. I’m just thanking you in advance before I know the whole story”

                The guys smiled in reply. Wendy closed her eyes and her body started to disappear, dissolve into the air.

“Will I disappear like that too?” Dawon asked. Yehyeon nodded. He bent over to her and patted her head. “I want to thank you, Dawon. For treating me kindly. Make sure to be happy in life, okay?”

                Dawon smiled and nodded. Sunghyuk patted her head too. “Now I know the secret to cook a delicious dish”

“What is it?” “Love” he smiled. “When you’re cooking and thinking about your loved ones, your cook will be tasty because you work hard to make the best for your loved one. I hope you make something nice for Dabin later”

“You bet I will. Thank you, Sunghyuk, for teaching me many things” He replied with a smile.

“Take care, Dawon” Taedong voiced. Donghan turned to him in disbelieve. “Really? That’s it?”

“Ani. You know how much I want to blabber to her” Taedong turned to Dawon. “Don’t forget to do your homework. Don’t procrastinate. Don’t copy others work 100%. Don’t lose your notebook. Don’t sleep in class. If you don’t understand anything, quickly ask someone for help. Don’t study on the last minute. And remember 3 + 3 is 6 not 9!”

                They bursted into laughter. “Nae, teacher” Dawon replied between her laugh. “I will remember your advice”

                Taedong smiled and pulled her into a hug. “And please take care of Dabin. We love her and we’ll miss her so much” “Aigo, of course I will” Dawon patted his back. He broke the hug and ruffled her head. Dawon pouted and fixed her hair. A tear slid down her cheeks.

“Aigo” Moonbok wiped her tears. “You cry but you’re smiling. How can you do that? That’s amazing” he chuckled and caressed her head. She smiled to him. “Take care, Dawon. You’re a big girl now” She nodded. “I will. Thank you for making me smile, Moonbok” “Thank you too. For everything”

“Dawon-ah” Taedong knelt and spreaded out his arm. “Come”

                Dawon giggled and ran into his arm. “Aigo, this little girl is growing up so fast” he caressed her head. “Be good, okay?”

“I will. I’ll miss you, Donghan” “I’ll miss you too, Dawon. We’ll all miss you”

                She pulled away and tears continued to stream down her cheeks.

“Yah, you’re making her cry again, Donghan” Hyunbin approached them. He bent over and wiped her tears. He looked away in embarassement. “I just want to thank you taking care of us. And stiching me up everytime I got tore”

“Of course. I should take care of my loved one. And thank you for everything too” “Can I-“ he stole a glance at her. His face and ears were red. He spreaded out his arms, still looking away. Dawon chuckled and pulled him into a hug. “Okay now?”

                Hyunbin smiled and hugged her tightly. He nodded.

“It’s unusual to see you like this, Hyunbin”

                The two looked up. Donghyun was smiling at them with hands in his pocket. She let go off him. Hyunbin pouted. “You know it’s not easy for me to open up to someone. Can’t you just leave us alone?”

                Dawon chuckled.

“You better tell her everything now, alright Donghyun?” Hyunbin voiced. Donghyun’s smile disappeared. She saw his change of mood. “What is it?”

“He had been keeping one huge secret from you, Dawon” Moonbok voiced. “Really, Donghyun?” she turned to Donghyun. “I hope this is the last secret you keep from me”

“Of course” he mustered a smile. “Dawon, do you remember when you and your sister played at the field when you were little”

                She was trying to think again. “When omma and appa brought us to the paddy field after visiting grandma’s place? In our red car?”

                He nodded. “You sure have fun with Dabin”

“You bet. At that time after visiting Grandma at the charnel house and told her about a good news, we played at the field for hours. Catching fishes and chase the dragonfly”

“But you stumble and hurt your knees” Donghyun continued. She stared at him. “How do you know? We haven’t met at that time”

“So Dabin carried you to the car and omma helped to clean the wound on your knees. And appa was holding onto me while omma was doing so” he knelt.  

“Donghyun-ah”

“You visited Grandma to tell her about a good news. And that good news is me. The only grandson she has was born. Am I right, Dawon noona?”

“Yah” Dawon approached him. “You’re our Donghyun? My little brother, Donghyun?”

“I’m sorry for not telling you sooner because I’ll know you’ll want me to stay with you” he mustered a smile and wiped her tears away.

“Dabin eonni need to know about this” “She already knew. I told her the other day we stayed at our house. At least I got to thank her” he looked away as he blinked back tears. Donghyun turned to her again and held her hand. “I hope you can take care of our sister, Dawon noona. Make her happy”

                Dawon couldn’t reply. Her shoulder jolted. She continued to sob. “I’m sorry, Donghyun. I should have known all along and I… we could all spend time together more. You, me and Dabin eonni”

“We already have, noona. Remember when we visited the theme park, eat together and at school too. I really enjoyed each of our seconds together. So I hope you don’t have any regret. I’m really happy meeting you again and I hope you feel the same too, noona. Thought just for a short time, I’m sure to treasure our memory together”

                Dawon threw her arms around him tightly. “Thank you, Donghyun”

                His eyes widened but then he smiled at her words. Donghyun patted her back.

“Thank you for coming back even just for a while. And let me know the kind of person you are. I’m unable to do so because you’ve gone too early with omma and appa. I hope I can be a good sister to you”

“You already are, noona. And I thank you for that”

                Hyunbin turned around and wiped his tears. All of them had tears in their eyes. Donghyun broke the hug and straighted up. “We’ll take our leave then”

“Nae” Dawon wiped away her tears and smiled. She waved. “It’s nice to meet all of you”

“It’s nice to meet you too, Lee Dawon”

                She watched as they waved at her, giving her their last smile. A light behind them shone brightly and blinded her. Dawon covered her eyes with her hands. She peeked through her fingers as the light started to faint. Dawon looked around. She was alone. She looked up. Tears didn’t stop from streaming down her cheeks. She saw seven stars shone twinkled in the purple galaxy above her. “Thank you, my guardians”

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Final chapter coming~!! Thank u for reading! U dont know how much u make me smile...knowing someone read my story...it's like yall reading my weird complex mind ^^" 

ok i dont know what i'm talking abt here ^^"