CHAPTER 19

The Little Girl

                Donghyun bit his lips, looking away. “I’m sorry for the other day. I’m too emotional when it comes to family members”

“It’s okay, Donghyun. I never thought about your feelings. I’m sorry too”

                Donghyun met her eyes and held on her hands. “I just-“ he sighed. “You see all of us died in different way. And we’re born again as dolls because of our feelings. We felt a special attachment to our family that we can’t rest in peace. We had been thinking and worrying about our family members. I knew everyone’s story and some of them can’t accept the fact that their own family ever stab them in the back and caused them to death. That’s why I’m a little sensitive when it comes to family bond”

“And that’s why you’re here to help me” “Yes” “That explain why you’re being emotional. Thank you, Donghyun for telling me about this. I should be careful now and not to hurt you and the others again”

                A set of footsteps approached them. They looked at the direction it was coming.

“Eonni looks angry” Dawon whispered to Donghyun and he nodded.

                Dabin stopped in front of them.

“What’s wrong, Dabin-ssi?” Donghyun asked. “I bought a bag of cookie just now for you two but one jerk stole it from me” she pouted. Dawon couldn’t help but laughed. *I can’t believe eonni throw tantrum just because of cookies*

“Wendy-ssi” Dabin pouted. “I’m sorry” Dawon stopped laughing and pulled her to sit with them. “Does this jerk name is Jaehyun?”

“Yes. You know him” Dabin continued to blabber. “He couldn’t go through a day without pissing me off. He really annoys me”

“Don’t hate your enemy too much, Dabin-ssi” Donghyun advised. “You might end up falling for him”

“Jaehyun?” Dabin rolled his eyes. “I’m willing to grow old alone than dating that jerk”

                Dawon giggled at her reaction.

“Ani. I’m serious” Dabin replied. “He’s always take my snacks away”

                Both of Donghyun and Dawon laughed as they listened to Dabin’s story.  

*             *             *

                Dabin was searching in her locker at the back of class in panic. “Where is it?” she pushed her books aside. She glanced at the rest of her classmates. They were already heading out of the class and moved to the art studio. She swore under her breathe. “Where is my paint?”

                Jaehyun who walked passed the class went back to the class. He stared at her silently.

“Where did the paint go?” she ruffled her head. Jaehyun looked away for a bit. He left her.

                Dabin sighed and stepped back that she hit the desk behind her. “Ouch!” she turned and paused. A new set of tube paint placed on the desk. It was not there a while ago. She looked around and saw no one. “Let me just borrow this for a while” she grabbed it with a smile and ran out of the class.

 

                Jaehyun sat at his place again in his class. He looked outside to the sky with a smile.

*             *             *

                Dawon walked through the hallway. A melody played by a piano came into her ears. She followed the sound.

*It come from here* she peeked through the gap between the door of the music room. *It’s him!*

                Jaehyun’s finger pressed the keys of the grand piano located at the centre of the music room.  He stopped and tilted his head.

“Ani. This not it” he took the pencil and fixed the note on the music sheet in front of him. He put the pencil and played the melody again. Once again, he stopped and took the pencil. He hummed the melody and earsed the note. He bit on the pencil while thinking.

                Dawon stepped back slowly. “He’s amazing. He can play piano beautifully”

*             *             *

                Dawon looked down to her phone as she read the address for the hundredth time. She looked around the neighbourhood.

“We’re not lost are we?” Hyunbin who followed behind her asked. “I’m sure we’re getting closer” Donghan replied. She nodded in agreement, still looking around.

“There” Dawon pointed to a house at the rooftop.

 

                She ran up the stairs and landed at the rooftop.

“Wait for us” Donghan panted. Dawon approached the small house there and stopped. The wind blew cooled them for a while. She turned to look at Donghan and Hyunbin.

                The plants outside the house grew healthily and the area around it was clean. They could hear the sound of television from outside.

“She’s inside” Hyunbin voiced. Dawon nodded.

“You sure you’re doing this, Dawon?” Donghan asked. “Yes” “But you know she could hurt you, do you?” “Yes” she turned to them. “But I have both of you with me. I have nothing to worry about”

                They exchanged smiles. Dawon took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. The sound from television suddenly turned off. They turned to each other. Donghan narrowed his eyes to the door as he heard unfamiliar sound approaching the door.

                The door was pushed open and in a flash Donghan pushed Dawon aside that she fell onto the floor. He was pushed so hard that his back meet the railing. Donghan glanced down to the ground far below him. He turned to the person who had a knife to his neck.

“Seungmi-ssi!” Hyunbin called. Dawon covered with her hands.

                Seungmi turned to Hyunbin and Dawon. “What are you guys doing here?”

                Donghan quickly pushed her off him and spun her around. He slung his arm to her neck and held her. Seungmi accidentally had the knife off her grip. The shining knife fell down onto the ground below them. Seungmi struggled to free herself from Donghan’s grip. “Let me go!” Seungmi screamed.

“I will not if you keep on trying to hurt your own sister!” “She’s not my sister!” “You had been telling yourself that for years. Don’t you think you had been deceiving yourself, Seungmi-ssi?” “You don’t know anything about me!” Seungmi nudged him so hard that he doubled over.

“Donghan-ah” Dawon went to him and helped him to stand. Seungmi stared at him in anger. “Don’t act like you know me”

“But I do” Donghan replied. “What you’re thinking. I know you still miss your family and you put all the blame on your sister”

                Seungmi’s shoulder fell. “No it’s really eonni’s fault”

“It’s no one fault” Dawon voiced. “I know you don’t want to hear this from me. But omma and appa still loves you. Believe me. They still think about you”

“Liar!” Seungmi snarled.

“Who do you think pay for your rent here?” Hyunbin approached her. “You haven’t pay for your rent for months but why is the landlord still allow you to stay here? Your parents work their asses off to pay for your living here without you know it!”

“Hyunbin-ah” Dawon called. He ignored her call and took out his phone from his pocket. He pressed something and held out the phone.

“Hello” a voice could be heard as he the loud speaker. “Mr. Son, here’s the person I told you about the other day. She’s listening”

“Oh” Mr. Son cleared his throat. “Seungmi, you’re there?”

“Appa” Seungmi whispered. Her heart broke in pieces as she heard the voice she had been missing for years. She swallowed the lump.

“Since I’m able to talk to you, you must have met your sister”

                Seungmi lifted her head to Dawon.

“Nae” Seungmi replied. “I know you had been blackmailing your sister” Mr. Son continued. “And you even sent people to hit her in an accident. But as a family member, I just want to tell you that I’m ready to forgive you. And so does Wendy”

                The two met eyes for a while.

“But appa” Seungmi started. “How can you apologise me when I tried to hurt your beloved daughter?”

“Because you’re my beloved daughter too”

                Seungmi couldn’t lift her head as she started to sob.

“We couldn’t approach you because I knew you had been hating your sister” Mr. Son voiced. “I don’t want to bring you home before you can accept your sister again. I don’t want you two to hurt each other. I thought maybe I should let you sort your mind first then bring you to stay at home again. But I was wrong. I’m sorry, Seungmi. It’s omma and appa fault. We shouldn’t abandon you when you were little. We should have work hard in order to raise both of you”

“Aniya, appa. Don’t say that. Please” she flopped onto the ground and continued to sob. Her shoulder jolted. Dawon approached her and pulled her into an embrace.

“Sunshine” Mr. Son sniffs could be heard. He wiped his tears away. Seungmi sob harder as she heard her father called her pet name after years.

“Both omma and I are not growing any younger. One day we will leave both of you in this world”

“Appa, don’t say so” Seungmi wiped her tears.

“I just hope you and Wendy make up after years of being separated. I know you can”

                Seungmi nodded without a word. Dawon caressed her head and hugged her tighter. She let her sob in her arms.

*             *             *

                Dawon helped Seungmi enter the living room. Seungmi sat on the couch. Dawon looked around. Packets of already finished chips laid around the floor.

“Don’t blabber me to clean this place up. I’m not a kid anymore” Seungmi voiced. “I will not. Don’t worry” Dawon smiled.

                Hyunbin put a paperbag on the coffee table before her.

“What’s that?” Seungmi asked. “Some gift” Dawon replied. “I thought I shouldn’t come visit empty handed, right?”

                Dawon looked down to her watch. “I’ll take my leave then. Sorry for interrupting your private time” She walked to the door.

“You sure you’re not going to blabber to me?” Seungmi made her steps stopped. “You always did that when we were little”

“I’m sure you don’t like being blabber now you’re a grown up. You can sort things yourself. I can’t control your life forever”

                Seungmi was stunted at her answer. *She’s right. How can she know how I feel?*

“She thought how you can know her feeling” Donghan whispered to Dawon. She turned to Seungmi. “Because I was once a little sister too. That’s why I know”

                Seungmi watched as they left the house. “She was a sister? What’s she talking? She’s still a sister” she turned and entered the living room with a small smile. “My sister”