CHAPTER 12

The Little Girl

The school hallway was loud with students’ chatter as it was recess time. Dabin walked out from the class, carrying loads of her classmates’ books that need to be sent to the teacher’s room. She stepped through the hallways carefully, avoiding everyone before her. She smiled as she saw one of her friends, Jongup walked from afar. Jongup smiled and waved to greet her.

 

Dabin suddenly fell forward onto the floor. The books scattered around her. Students nearby started to have their eyes on her. Dabin sighed. *I knew he’s around* She looked up. Both Jaehyun and Naeun smirked and stared down to her. “Owh, look at this mess” Naeun kicked the books away from her. “Can you” Dabin snatched the book. “Leave me alone for a day? What have I done to you that you did this to me?”

“Babe, do you notice she dare to talk back to us lately?” Jaehyun turned to Naeun. Naeun pouted and nodded. “You’re right. Maybe she need something to help her realise the fact that she’s unwanted here” Naeun took out something from her blazer pocket. A piece of paper fell without they noticed. Naeun held pieces of chewing gum wrapping paper and tore before threw it to Dabin’s face. Naeun pretended to gasp. “I’m sorry. I thought you’re a trash can”

Dabin didn’t lift her head as she struggled to stop her tears from dropping. Naeun and Jaehyun left her alone, her laughter trailed off. Dabin swallowed the lump and pushed herself to stand. She met eyes with other students who witnessed what just happened. They ignored her and went back to their activities. Dabin bent over to pick up the books.

“Here” Jongup held some books he collected to her.

“Jongup-ah” Dabin smiled. “Thank you” she took it from him.

“You’re okay, Dabin?” “Yea” she smiled widely and nodded. “Definitely” she busied herself to pick up the books.

Jongup lifted his head to stare at Jaehyun who started to go far from them. He sighed and shook his head.

* * *

Jaehyun was scrolling through his phone as he leaned against the window of the hallway.

“Yah” Jongup leaned against the wall. He peeked through what he was surfing in his phone. “Yah” Jaehyun narrowed his eyes to Jongup and pulled his phone away.

“You know you can just greet that blogger instead of looking at her masterpiece everyday” Jongup jeered. Jaehyun glared at him before turned to his phone again. “You know me”

“Tsk” Jongup smirked. “Coward”

“Yah, I’m not coward. You know I already have a girlfriend” “I don’t mean to greet her and ask her to be your girlfriend. I’m just saying that you should be friend with her instead of stalking her on her blog”

“Friend?” Jaehyun smiled. “How can a fan become a friend? That’s impossible”

“Of course it’s possible” Jongup snatched his phone and pressed on some icon. “Yah yah” Jaehyun took his phone again. “I will greet her. I promise”

“Alright. Remember, you said it yourself” “Nae” Jaehyun sighed. He continued to look at the drawing posted on a blog. Most of the drawings are drawing of beautiful scenery. “I’m so a big fan of this painter”

“I know. It had been years since you like her drawing. But it’s weird” Jongup turned to him, arms crossed to his chest. “How do you know the blogger is a woman. It could be a man since the username is ‘Woobin’”

“Yah, I had been her fan for years. And I stalk her every day. She posted once talking about herself. She said she use ‘Woobin’ because she loves the actor Kim Woobin so much. She knew someone will mistake her as a guy from the username. She even posted the picture of Kim Woobin fan sign event she attended. And bunch of her painting of Kim Woobin”

“Woah” Jongup clapped his hand. “You sure a big fan of her”

“Not just me though” Jaehyun smiled. “She have many fans. And she might not notice my comment on most of the picture she posted” He kept his phone and turned to Jongup who was staring out the window to the school garden.

Most students who passed by the garden greeted a lady who sat at the bench there.

“Who’s that? I can’t see well without my glasses” Jaehyun asked. “The school director” “Oh”

“But don’t you think she’s too young to be a director?” Jongup turned to the garden again. “Lately Miss Wendy had been around the school often. And starting this week, she had been supplying every poor student with pocket money. That’s why the students start to acknowledge her presence in the school”

“She’s too rich to give out the money easily to other kids” “Yeah since she owns a company to herself. That’s why she’s able to do that. Such successful person even at a young age. I’m impressed”

Jaehyun saw Dabin approached Wendy and greeted her with a smile. He watched as the two started to chit chat. Jongup turned away from the garden and glanced at Jaehyun. “I have something to talk to you actually” The smile on Jongup’s face disappeared.

Jaehyun turned to him and crossed his arm to his chest. “Sounds serious. What is it?”

“Honestly, I love to hang out with you, Jaehyun” he sighed. “But why Dabin? You know she’s my friend”

Jaehyun looked away and ruffled his head. “I don’t think I have to listen to you just to let myself have a little fun”

“By hurting a girl? Jaehyun, she’s just a new girl who want to study here. That’s all” “And that’s exactly what she shouldn’t do. Stop coming into our territory” Jaehyun stepped away.

“Jaehyun” Jongup called but he ignored him. Jongup sighed and turned back to the garden. He saw Dabin and Wendy was enjoying a snack as they chat. He saw Dabin laughed. Jongup smiled. “I just miss your smile, Dabin. I wish I can see more of those pretty smile in the future”

* * *

Dawon was in the tutor room as usual that evening. She was busy colouring a book as Taedong gave her a free time before their study hour over.

“That is so beautiful” Yehyeon sat beside her. She smiled at him in reply. Hyunbin who was colouring too glanced at her book. “Yehyeon-ah, you better get your eyes check. That’s hideous” he jeered Dawon.

“Yah” Dawon gave him a glare then turned to colour again. Donghyun and Sunghyuk smiled at the sight of her. Donghan and Moonbok entered the room with canned coffee. They gave out to them. Moonbok put a chocolate milk before Dawon. “Yay! Thank you” she quickly pierced the straw to drink the milk.

“What are you doing?” Donghan put an already opened coffee in front of Taedong. Taedong glanced at the coffee before continued to check on the students’ assignment. “Some students’ work that I have to check. Just a little bit more”

“Since we’re all here” Moonbok started. “Why don’t we go have dinner out?”

“But what about Mr. and Mrs. Son?” Sunghyuk asked. “They’re eating out tonight” Dawon replied. “They rang me just now”

“You know” Dawon turned to them. She hesitated before continued. “The other day Donghan told me that you’re…”

“Dead?” Moonbok glanced at her before kept his phone away. “What about it?”

“Since you help me a lot, I thought of repaying you guys back. How about I help you find your family again?”

Yehyeon chuckled. “I wish I could look for my family too, Dawon. But it was just impossible”

“What do you mean?” “We died a long time ago, Dawon” Taedong smiled at her. “We’re thankful for your kind offering but I don’t think we can accept it. All of us died on different time long time ago. Like hundred years ago. It’s impossible for you or even ourselves to find our family members”

“Well maybe except for Donghan and Donghyun. They died quite recently like 20years ago or so” Moonbok replied. They turned to Donghan and Donghyun. “No” Donghan voiced. “I don’t think it’s necessary. I died more than 50 years ago. I don’t think any of my family members alive now” he turned to Donghyun.

Donghyun accidently hit the canned coffee off the desk as he was surprised with Donghan’s eye contact. Dawon shot up and helped him clean the spilled drink. “Aigo, Donghyun-ah. You should be careful” she wiped the floor as Sunghyuk held her some tissues. Donghyun chuckled and wiped the floor. “I’m sorry” he glanced at her but paused. He stared at her without her notice.

“Alright let’s eat!” Taedong raised his arms as he finished his work. He punched on his sore shoulder. “What did you kids study nowadays? Your history was a huge lie”

Hyunbin held the picture he finished coloured up. “I’m finished!”

“Want me to give you star for that, Hyunbini?” Taedong sneered. Hyunbin glared at him. “No thank you, teacher”

“Let’s eat! I’m starving” he got up.

* * *

They were at a restaurant.

“Here’s your order” the waitress came and served them food. “Thank you, Dabin-ssi” Dawon smiled to the waitress. “Enjoy your food” Dabin bowed and smiled before left them.

“Here” the guys busy eating while Dawon continued to stare at Dabin’s every move in the restaurant. “So this is where eonni work”

Moonbok who sat across her followed her gaze. “You’ll sure to come here often now that you know she works here”

“You bet I will” “Here” he put a piece of beef on her rice. “Eat up. You need to grow”

“Nae. Thank you” she smiled at him and enjoyed the meal.

 

They almost finish their dinner.

“YAH!” a male snarl echoed through the restaurant. Everyone lifted their head to the source of sound that was at a table at the corner of the restaurant.