CHAPTER 7

The Little Girl

“But I see no one here” Dawon tried to look around once again. “Moonbok have stronger sense and ability to see something far away or through a barrier” Donghyun answered her before she could ask.

“Can you see what they’re doing?” Taedong asked. “Not sure” Moonbok paused. “Beating?! They’re in a fight!” he sprinted into the alley with the others followed. The commotion could be heard louder.

“Donghan, take Dawon away from here” Hyunbin glanced behind Dawon.

Dawon’s arm was yanked from behind. She looked down to the grip around her wrist then to the owner of the hand. “Donghan-ah”

Donghan was standing behind her. “Stay here” “But-“ she tried to move. “Dawon-ah, it’s dangerous. Let them handle this first”

Dawon stayed with Donghan. She looked up to him. “You’re suddenly here”

“Yea” he yawned. “Hyunbin teleported me here. I was napping in the car just now. I’m a bit exhausted lately”

“Really? Exhausted?” she sighed. “It’s all because of me”

“They told you?” “Uhuh. I’m sorry” “No worry, Dawon. Now I can feel more energy in me than before. Thank you for believing in us” he smiled.

A few girls rushed passed them out from the place. Dawon’s eyes followed them. “Girls? They’re fighting?”

“I think everything is fine now” Donghan waved her over to the end of the alley, to the back of the building.

Donghyun, Hyunbin, Moonbok and Taedong looked up to them from looking at the student who sat on the ground.

“What happen?” Dawon walked from behind of Donghan. Her steps stopped. Donghan turned to her in worry.

“They bullied her” Taedong answered. “Don’t worry. I’ll report this to the disciplinary board ASAP”

Dawon knelt before the student who buried her face in her knees. Slowly, her trembling hand reached to the student’s shoulder. Dawon’s lips trembled. “Eonni”

The student looked up only to meet eyes with Dawon. She wiped her tear. Her eyebrows furrowed. “Eonni?” Dabin asked again.

“No” Dawon cleared and looked away for a while. She swallowed past the lump then turned to Dabin again. “You okay, student?”

“Nae” Dabin hid her face and nodded. “Thank you for helping me”

“Don’t mention it” Moonbok replied.

“You should report to me if you’re bullied, Dabin” Taedong voiced. Dabin glanced at him and shook her head. “I can’t or they’ll do something worse to me”

Dawon sighed. Her heart shattered looking at her sister’s condition. *I thought everything goes well for you in this new school*

“Come” Dawon held out her hand to her. Dabin looked up to her then accepted her hand. Dawon helped her to stand.

“Aigo” Dawon mustered a smile and fixed her hair. Dabin froze at her action. “Next time don’t be afraid with those kind of person” Dawon jerked her head to Taedong. “You have your teacher to help you. Remember that”

Dabin didn’t reply.

“Dabin, you can go to your class first” Taedong voiced. “We’ll settle about this later”

Dabin bowed to them without a word before left. Dawon fell onto her knees.

“Dawon-ah!” they rushed to her in worry. Tears fell from her face. “I thought she’s doing just fine in this new school” Dawon uttered between her sobs. “She looks happy after we transfer school. But it seems that she faked it. Why, eonni? You can tell me if you have a hard time! Don’t keep it all to yourself like how you used to”

The guys exchanged eye contact with each other then to her. They sighed. Dawon continued to sob.

* * *

Dawon stared out the window of the car. She looked solemn.

“You don’t have to worry. I’ll take care of Dabin” Taedong told her before she left the school just now.

“We’ll head home, okay?” Moonbok who sat beside her asked. Dawon nodded without a word. He caressed her head to comfort her.

“Do you think it’s okay if I visit her again?” she asked. “Like often?”

Moonbok nodded with a smile. “Of course. You can always go see your sister”

“Thank you” she replied, still without a smile.

* * *

Dawon walked into the house with the other followed.

“You’re home early” Yehyeon looked up from bending down to the cabinet at the kitchen. “Oh you guys are here too. Come let’s eat. I’m about to cook some lunch” he took the apron. Yehyeon noticed the heavy atmosphere that surrounded them. He approached them at the living room.

“What’s going on?”

They rested at the living room.

“Well, something happened” Hyunbin glanced at Dawon before waving Yehyeon to approach him. Hyunbin told what had happened. Gasp could be heard from Yehyeon that he landed his eyes to Dawon.

Yehyeon straightened and cleared his throat.

“Dawon, do you want to help me with cooking? Who knows, it might help you”

Dawon looked up to him. He saw her puffy eyes. She mustered a smile and slowly nodded. “Sounds great” she stood. “Let’s go”

They looked up to her with a slight surprise.

“I’m joining you two” Moonbok volunteered. “But isn’t it too early to eat lunch, Yehyeon?”

“I’m cooking lunch early for myself since I’m alone at home often at time like this” Yehyeon ran his eyes to them. “But since we have many mouth to feed, it’s a great idea to start cooking now”

“Do you think I can send some lunch to Wendy eonni’s parent too?” Dawon asked. “Of course. That’s a splendid idea!” Yehyeon wore the apron.

“Looks like you need a hand” Donghyun raised his hand. “I’m helping then”

“Me too” Donghan replied. He then turned to Hyunbin beside him with arm crossed. “Nae nae” Hyunbin pushed himself off the couch. “I’m joining too”

“Alright. Let’s start” Donghyun clapped his hand.

 

The six of them entered the kitchen and started to prepare lunch for themselves. Hyunbin shouted in annoyance as Donghan smeared some sauce to his nose. Donghan chuckled. Dawon and Moonbok were at the stove. Dawon tasted the stew and scooped some for him to taste. He bent down to the spoon but his long hair fell, covering his face. Yehyeon collected his hair and tied it into a ponytail. They exchanged smiles. Donghyun saw them and smiled to himself. He was cutting some spring onion. He winched as he accidentally cut his finger.

“Donghyun” Dawon ran to him. The blood drip down onto his palm. “You okay?” she panicked and looked around to find any emergency kit.

Donghyun grabbed her hand and his eyes went down to his injured finger. She followed his gaze. Slowly, the wound started to close itself.

“You forgot that I can heal myself, right?” he smirked and went to the sink to wash the blood.

“It’s so convenient that you have that magic” Dawon said. “You can easily stop bleeding”

Dawon continued to cut the spring onion. “Not like me”

“Why? You have any wound? I can help heal it” “No. But this morning I noticed a blood spot on my mattress”

The guys looked up to her.

“Why? Did I say something wrong?” she looked at them who seems to shock.

Donghan in front of her cleared his throat and looked away.

“Blood?” Donghyun asked again.

“Yeah” she lifted up her sleeves to show marks from her scratching her skin. “There are many mosquito last night. So I scratch my arm that I have a few wounds”

They sighed in relieve. Dawon looked at them, still clueless. “What wrong?” She turned to Hyunbin. “Hyunbin, your face-“

He avoided her eyes. His face grew crimson. “N-Nothing”

Dawon just realised what just got into their mind and cupped . “I’m sorry, guys. I didn’t mean that”

Moonbok forced a laugh. “No it’s okay”

Dawon forced herself to immerse in her task and hid her face in embarrassment.

* * *

“We’ll go now” Dawon glanced back at Moonbok, Donghyun and Yehyeon who were at the kitchen. “Nae be careful. Call us if you need anything” Moonbok waved. “Nae” Dawon, Hyunbin and Donghan exited the door.

 

“Does Wendy eonni ever sent lunch for her parents?” Dawon asked from the back seat. “No as far as I know” Donghan glanced at her through the rear view mirror.

“Kid, wear your seatbelt” Hyunbin voiced.

Dawon narrowed her eyes at him who sat beside the driver. “Nae” she did as was told. Donghan chuckled at her annoyed face.

“Donghan, does Wendy eonni close with her parent?” she asked. “She used to” Donghan answered. “But now that she grew up, she grew apart from her parents. Since everyone have their own commitment. You sure curious about Wendy do you?”

“I need to know about this eonni since I borrow her body” she paused. “Since you said she’s not that close to her parent anymore, maybe I can help them get closer again”

“We should try that” Donghan agreed.

Wendy’s phone rang. Dawon looked to the phone and put it aside again.

“Who’s calling?” Hyunbin glanced at her. “No one important” she replied. Hyunbin turned to her and held out his hand. “Give it to me. I need to know who’s that. Since your phone had been ringing the whole day though it’s on vibrate”

Dawon stared at his hand then to his scary face. She had no choice but to give the phone to him.

“I knew it” Hyunbin saw the missed calls and texts Eric sent. “This scumbag!”

“Eric?” Donghan asked. Hyunbin nodded.

“I always have a bad feeling about that guy” Donghan voiced. “I have the feeling that I will hate that dude. Maybe because of this. Too clingy!”

“Looks like we’re all on Wendy’s side. She hates him too”

“Then Wendy and Eric will engage?” Dawon joined. “Wendy eonni will never be happy in the future is she’s forced to marry someone she hates”

“That’s what she tried to tell her parents. But as you know, she’s not that close with her parents anymore” Donghan replied. “Then I should tell them myself” “I don’t think you should, Dawon. You see, this is the matter of heart. If I were you, I would let Wendy tell her parents herself. She maybe had waited forever to tell them that herself. Don’t you think so? Maybe she had been building up her courage to tell them”

Dawon couldn’t reply and threw her view out the window. “Adult’s problems are so hard. I’m so lucky I’m still a little girl”

“But you’ll grow up and be an adult one day. And you’ll face your own problems too at that time” “I don’t have to worry when that happen” she smiled at both of them. “All of you are there for me, right?”

Hyunbin and Donghan glanced at each other. Donghan mustered a smile and nodded. “Of course, Dawon. We will always be beside you”

Hyunbin turned back to Wendy’s phone in his grip. *What’s this?* his eyebrows furrowed. He pressed on the text she received from an unknown number.

| You seems to have a happy life. Enjoy it while it last, Wendy |

*A threat?* he quickly forwarded the message to his phone. Hyunbin turned to Dawon and held out the phone. “Here. Thanks”

“You’re welcome” she took it.

Hyunbin quickly sent the message to Donghyun.