CHAPTER 4

The Little Girl

 

Dawon looked at herself again in the mirror. She was still in the body of a young woman. She fixed the ribbon tied to her hair. “Let me borrow your body for a while, Wendy eonni”

 

She pushed the door open and gasped at the house design. It was a modern-style house. She walked through the wooden floor of the 2nd level platform. She landed her hand on the black metal railing at the end of the platform where she can see the whole 1st floor from above. A couple in their 50’s was at the dining table. The man who was in suit looked up from reading the newspaper in his hands and saw Dawon.

“Wendy” he waved her over. “Come let’s eat, buttercup”

*Me?* “Nae, appa” Dawon replied. She turned to her left and there was a flight of stairs. She descended the stairs.

There was a flat screen TV set mounted on the white painted wall and a black leather sofa set at the living room. Her eyes went to the photo frames arranged on a drawer behind the L-shaped sofa. She was the pictures of the family with happiness in their faces. She saw Wendy with her parents and another unfamiliar younger male. Dawon lifted her head to enter the dining area. Her steps paused at the sight of the open kitchen beside the dining area. Yehyeon who was in chef attire was busy cooking at the kitchen.

“Come, dear” Mrs. Son was carrying a plate of steak from the kitchen to the dining table. “Nae” Dawon stuttered. Yehyeon turned to her and smirk before turned to the stove again. “Are you okay, dear?” Mrs. Son asked as she sat beside her husband.

“Nae” Dawon approached the table and bowed. “Good morning, omma, appa”

“Good morning, Wendy. Come let’s eat” Mr. Son gave her a smile and out the newspaper away. He picked up the utensil.

Dawon took a seat across her mother. Her eyes glued to Yehyeon in disbelief. The sound from the steel fork against the plate took her eyes away from him. Dawon looked to Mrs. Son.

“You sure you okay, sweetie?”

Dawon nodded. “Nae…omma” She picked up the fork and knife and stared at the steak. “It’s your favorite steak” Mrs. Son stated. “Half cooked. Eat up”

“Nae” Dawon nodded and tried to cut the chunk of meat. *How do I do this? I never have this before*

Mr. Son saw her and chuckled. “Come” he held out his hand to her plate. Dawon looked up to him and automatically moved her hands away. Mr. Son took her plate and helped cut the meat into small pieces. “There” he gave her the plate again with a smile. “Thank you very much” Dawon bowed. Mr. Son chuckled “Anything for my princess”

“You just want to pamper with your appa, is it?” Mrs. Son glanced at her while Mr. Son chuckled. “You’re jealous, dear?” Mrs. Son smirked. “Not a bit”

A smile appeared on Dawon’s lips as she witnessed the love of the two couple. *Wendy eonni is so lucky. She’s much loved from her parents*

 

 

“Where are you going today?” Mr. Son glanced at Dawon. “Out with Moonbok again?”

Dawon nodded as she munched on the last piece of meat. *So they know Moonbok?*

“Honey” Mr. Son called his wife. “Should we have lunch together today?”

“Sorry but I have a lunch meet with some client” Mrs. Son replied. “For the new project?” “Yes” “I’m so worn out from the project” “Don’t worry, dear. Once the project settled, I promise to take you to the cruise” “Really?” her face lit up. “Of course. Family vacation” he smiled.

The doorbell rang that made them lifted their head to the main door.

“I’ll get the door” Dawon stood. “No you don’t have to” Mrs. Son took the glass of orange juice. “He’ll make his own way into here”

Mr. Son chuckled “Speak of devil”

Dawon sat again and her head still looking at the door.

“Good morning~!” Moonbok burst into the house. He fixed his cap as he skipped into the dining area. He bowed to them. Dawon still stared at him in disbelieve.

“Come join us” Mr. Son chuckled. “You’re all hyped up as always”

“Thank you, uncle” Moonbok skipped to the kitchen counter and leaned over. “Yehyeon hyung. I want a full-cooked meat. Make it really delicious!”

Yehyeon smirked. “Nae nae”

“Can you just take your soulmate away from here?” Mrs. Son teased Dawon. “Every day he burst into the house for food”

“I already had my breakfast, aunty” Moonbok replied. “But you know how I can easily get hungry, aunty”

“Nae I know, child” Mrs. Son smirked. “Enjoy yourself”

“Yes I will” he smiled cheerfully. His eyes went to Dawon. He winked that made her to turn away.

* * *

Mr. Son fixed his suit as he made his way to the door.

“Here, uncle” Moonbok helped giving his leather briefcase. “Thank you, son” Mr. Son smiled. “Take care of Wendy, okay?” “Aye aye, sir” he saluted. Mr. Son chuckled and patted his shoulder.

Mr. Son met his wife out the door before heading to their workplace with two different cars.

Moonbok walked to the dining area again only to meet Yehyeon. Both of them looked up to the platform. “Will she be alright?” Yehyeon asked. “That’s our job to make sure she’s okay, right?” Moonbok replied.

 

Dawon walked down to the living room where Moonbok was waiting.

“Moonbok-ssi” she called. He looked up to her and his eyes widened. Dawon cleared and looked away in embarrassment. “I was having a hard time to get ready. Sorry for keeping you waiting. You know I have a hard time figuring out how this eonni taste in fashion. I must be looked bad”

“Nah” he smiled. “You looked fine” he stood. “And you can just talk comfortably to me. That’s how everybody see Wendy usually talks to me”

Moonbok led the way out the door. “Let’s go”

“Where are we going?” “Learning more thing about your new life”

She walked out the window to be greeted with two guys. “Donghyun-ssi, Hyunbin-ssi”

“Yah, drop the formality” Hyunbin smiled. “Just talk comfortably”

“But I’m just a kid” she replied. Donghyun searched her eyes. “But from today you’re not little girl. You are Son Wendy, remember?”

A white car stopped in front of them. The window was let down to reveal the driver.

“Come in, everyone” Donghan waved them over.

Donghyun opened the passenger door. “After you, miss Wendy”

Dawon smiled and got into the car.

* * *

“I have a question” Dawon broke the silence in the car. They turned to her. “Where are we going actually?”

“Didn’t I tell you we’re learning more about your situation” Moonbok glanced back from beside the driver. “I’m taking us to a familiar place” Donghan looked at her through the rear view mirror. “Aren’t you familiar with this area, Dawon?”

Dawon looked around. The incident where she was hit with the car entered her head. She gasped. “But why? It’s not that we can undo the incident-“

“If you’re thinking about your accident place, you are wrong” Hyunbin made her turn to him. “Look carefully”

The car drove pass an ice-cream stall with the zebra crossing across it. The place where she was hit have the ice-cream stall but with different design and have no zebra crossing.

“Looks like she has no memory of Wendy” Donghyun replied. “Wendy is still not conscious”

“Wait I don’t get it” Dawon looked out as the car parked nearby. “What do you mean?”

“The real Wendy Son was involved in an accident there at that exact place like yours” “At the exact time” Donghan added. “What?!” she whispered. “If I’m in her body, that means-“

“She should be in your body but unfortunately your body cannot be located” Moonbok stated. “You mean Wendy eonni and I switched bodies?”

“High possibility, both of you did. But Wendy doesn’t seem to be available in this world” Donghyun replied. “We will not stay in wrong bodies forever, will we?” “Depends. She’s a lost soul now”

“You said she was involved in the same accident as I did, right?” “Yes” “At the same time?” “Uhuh”

“So shouldn’t our bodies be at the same hospital?” “Of course you were”

“A few days ago you got admitted out from the hospital” Donghan explained. “But at that time you were not Dawon nor Wendy. Your body is alive but not your soul. Mr. and Mrs. Son thought they should give you a few days alone to rest and since they were too busy, they always have me to update about your condition at home” Hyunbin replied. “And of course I lied to them. I said their daughter is alright and they shouldn’t be worry”

“But what about my body? My body just disappeared?” “Seems like it”

Dawon sighed. “Dabin eonni must be really worry”

Moonbok smirked. “You two sure are sisters. You know what Dabin feels right now?”

“Really? She’s worried of me?” “Of course” “How do you know?” Dawon looked around for any sight of her sister. “Do you see her?”

“No. We have someone to look after her. Don’t worry, Dawon. We’ll protect both you and your sister” he glanced back and gave her a smile.

There was a smile on her lips. “Thank you, all of you”

“There no need for that” Donghan replied. “We’re just paying you back for taking care of us all this while”

“But you know what, I’m curious” she started. “You must be shock when you turn into human”

“Yeah, of course” Hyunbin smirked and waved her hand. “My hand feel so real. I love it”

Dawon took his hand and examined his palm. He gulped.

“The stitches on your hand disappeared” she smiled at him. “That’s good”

Hyunbin looked away and pulled his hand back. “It healed. Thank you for stitching me up quickly the other day”

“You’re welcome” she beamed.

Donghan smirked at the sight of both of them.

“But can I by any chance meet my sister now?” she asked. “Well, it’s not that we don’t want you to meet your sister, Dawon-ah” Donghyun started. “Since you’re now the director of the school, I don’t think your presence will not cause every teacher there to be panic. So we thought maybe we can bring you there in a few days”

“First, you need to get use to your current situation” Moonbok voiced. “That’s why I’m here to teach you everything you need to know about Wendy. You should never reveal yourself as elementary student Lee Dawon, get it?”

“If doing that can make me see my sister, I will do as you say”

 

Donghan dropped them off in front of a corporate building. Dawon turned to Moonbok beside her.

“This is your company. I will take you to your office and it’s safer if you didn’t say anything except greeting the worker back” “Nae” she nodded.

The stepped into the building with Donghyun and Hyunbin followed behind. The receptionists stood and bowed to them.

“Good morning, miss Wendy”

“Nae” Dawon bowed back with a smile, feeling awkward. A few other workers greeted her and she replied.

They walked to the lift. She looked to her side and saw a female worker was carrying piles of files. She fell with the files fell onto the floor. Dawon ran to her and quickly helped her and so did the guys.

“Thank you” the female worker looked up and met eyes with Dawon. “Miss Wendy” she panicly stood and bowed a few times. “Forgive me”

“No it’s okay” Dawon put the files in her hands again. “You okay?”

“Nae. Thank you, miss” she bowed. “Of course. Be careful” “I will”

“Yah, the lift is here” Moonbok called.

Dawon bowed again at the worker before they entered the lift. Donghyun glanced at the CCTV then to Dawon beside him. He lifted his thumb up to her. She smirked in reply.