CHAPTER 18

The Little Girl

                Dawon’s giggles could be heard as she walked up the stairs with Moonbok. They entered the room.

“What are you guys doing?” Moonbok slung his arm to Hyunbin’s shoulder and saw the picture. He paused and look at Dawon in surprise.

                She sensed the tense atmosphere. “What’s wrong?”

“Do you know anything about this?” Donghyun showed the picture to her. His forehead furrowed in anger. “Oh that” Dawon looked away. “So you do know about this” he nodded. “Yet you didn’t mention about this to us?!”

“Donghyun-ah” Moonbok tried to calm him down.

“You guys” Yehyeon poked his head into the room. “Come join us at the pool table”

                No one turned to him.

“Guys?” Yehyeon stepped into the room. Taedong followed him. “What happen?”

                Donghyun shoved the photographs to Taedong’s chest and stormed off to the couch. Yehyeon and Taedong looked at the pictures and gasped. They lifted their head to Dawon. She couldn’t raise her head to meet their eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Donghan came into the room. “Dawon’s mind was too confusing that I couldn’t read it like always”

                Sunghyuk entered after him. Taedong passed the pictures to him.

“How can you not tell us about this, Dawon?” Moonbok asked. “I just-“ Dawon bit her lips. She lifted her head to Donghyun and approached him.

                Donghyun looked away.

“Donghyun-ah” Dawon tried to call him but he ignored her. “Yah” she called again. “Are you angry with me?”

                Donghyun shot up as he faced her in anger. “OF COURSE I AM! HOW CAN YOU NOT TELL US ABOUT THAT PICTURE?! THAT’S WENDY WITH HER LITTLE SISTER!”

“If I even tell you, that didn’t even change anything!” “No, Dawon. It changed everything! Her sister might be the one who attempted to kill Wendy! And we never thought about her being in the frame! Damn!” “That’s impossible! No little sister ever wishes to kill her own sister!” “You think all that ever exist in a family is love?! Some family even wish to kill their own family members! You could do the same too, Dawon!”

                Dawon gasped. “What?” she whispered. Her vision started to blur. Donghyun realised his words hurt her. He looked away.

“You’ve know me for years and you dare to say that?!” Dawon swallowed the lump. She stormed out the room.

                Dawon went down the stairs and to the front door. She wore her shoes and ran out the yard.

“Wendy dear, where are you going?” Mrs. Son saw Dawon ran out the house. Moonbok ran up to her.

“Moonbok-ah, where you two going?” Mr. Son shouted. Moonbok paused his steps. “We’ll be right back, uncle” he continued to run.  

 

                Dawon ran through the alley. Her steps slowed down as she reached a familiar place. The playground before her was silent. Dawon climbed the monkey bars and sat up at the top most bar. She stared at the sky that had shade of oranges as the time passed by.

 

                Dawon sighed. “Maybe Donghyun have a bit problem about this sibling matter. Or Wendy’s sister?” She tried to think harder. “What’s with him and Wendy’s sister?”

“Are you talking about me?”

                Dawon looked around to look for a person. Her sight landed on a silhouette not far from the monkey bar. She squinted her eyes to have a better view at the person. “Who’s there?”

“It’s me” the person approached the monkey bar and walked into the light. “Your little sister, Son Seungmi. Don’t tell me you already forget about me”

                Dawon was stunted that she was unable to speak a thing.

“You seems to have a happy life now, eonni” “You” Dawon spoke. “You sent those messages”

“Of course. And I’m the one who broke into your room the other day” “But why?”

                Seungmin chuckled. “Don’t tell me you don’t know the motive. Do you really hate me that much that you didn’t recognise me? This is so not you, eonni”

“No. I really don’t know” *Please tell me what’s going on between these two sisters*

“You like it when omma and appa dump me when we were little, right?”

*Dump you?!* Dawon was surprised but she controlled her facial expression.

“I know you’ll say that it’s not their fault. It’s because omma and appa was too poor in the past that they can’t manage to raise two daughters. And so the competition started between us. I lost and they decided to keep you with them. I was sent to the orphanage. But now that you can enjoy your richness, I can’t understand why omma and appa doesn’t want to take me in again. But now I know the reason why” Seungmi looked up to her. “Because they love you more than me”

*But she didn’t mean to kill her own sister because of that right?* Dawon thought. “Is that why you try to kill me the other day?”

                Seungmi smiled and clapped her hands. “I knew you’re a clever person! You figure it out in just a few second! Daebak!”

*What?!* Dawon thought.

“But it’s unfortunate that you survive the accident” Seungmi sighed. “So let’s just end this here, shall we?” she climbed the monkey bars.

“Yah” Dawon’s voice quivered at the end as she approached her.

“Wendy Son!” Moonbok’s voice could be heard. The girls looked up in surprise as a set of footsteps echoed towards them.

                Seungmi grinded her teeth and jumped down the bars. “I’ll see again, eonni. Don’t think that I will let you live happily” she warned and ran away.

                Dawon looked around. Moonbok ran to her.

“Come down, Dawon-ah” he waved her down. “Wait” Dawon jumped down the monkey bars.

                Moonbok held onto her shoulder and spun her around, looking for any wound if she was hurt. He sighed in relieve. “I thought she did something to you”

“You know her?” “Yes. All of us know her. Come” he held onto her hand. “Let’s go home. Wendy’s parents must be worried”

                She followed him. They were silent throughout the walk.

“Dawon” Moonbok called her. She turned to him. “You’re still thinking about Donghyun?”

                She nodded.

“I though you already sort out this problem. That’s why I watched you for hours at the playground just now” “So you knew I was there”           

                He smiled and nodded.

“Thank you, Moonbok” “I can always help someone dear to me”

                They exchanged smiles.

“Anyway, about Donghyun” he started. “I don’t think you can talk to him for the day. He had been locking himself up in the doll house after you left”

“I had been thinking about what he said after I met Seungmi” Dawon replied. “Looks like he’s right. We’re just human. It’s impossible for us to be nice always and never have any hatred. Even for family members”

“But there’s one thing that I learnt from human beside hatred. Forgiving and accepting someone’s weakness and ego” Moonbok glanced at her. “That way, a relationship whether within family members or friends can be repair”

                Dawon nodded in agreement. “I thought about a way to thank Wendy eonni for lending me her body before this. But now I know just what to do” she smiled. “Fixing her family relationship. I’m sure no one ever wants a broken family. And a sister will never want to lose her other sibling. Just like me and Dabin eonni. But to do that, I need to dig deep into this family problem to solve it”

“Now that you’re closer to her parents, you can do that easily” “Yes. I can ask about Seungmi to both Mr. and Mrs. Son. I want to know what exactly happen between them. Is Seungmi telling the truth. Or you know something about it, Moonbok? You guys sure know everything when I’m curious” “But not this time. We have little knowledge about Seungmi since Wendy and her doesn’t meet each other often” “Oh I see”

 


                They two arrived at doorstep of the house. Dawon turned to Moonbok. “Thank you, Moonbok-ah” He nodded with a smile. He suddenly disappeared with a little flash of light. Dawon bent down to pick up Moonbok who was now a doll. She smiled at him before keeping it in her pocket.

 

“I’m home” Dawon entered the house. “Wendy!” Mrs. Son came ran to her and pulled her into a hug. Mr. Son who was waiting at the living room too joined them. “Where were you, dear? You okay? You’re not hurt, right?” Mrs. Son checked on her to look for any wound. Dawon met Mr. Son in the eye and gave him a smile.

“I’m alright, omma, appa. I’m sorry for running of so suddenly. I must have made you worry” Dawon’s lips quivered, holding back tears. Mrs. Son let go off her and cupped her face. She stared at her daughter’s face. Dawon couldn’t held the tears and broke off. *So this how it feels to have a parents. I almost forgot the feeling of being cherish by parents*

“Aigo-yah” Mr. Son chuckled and caressed her head. “You must have a lot in your mind lately, buttercup. Stay strong, dear”

                Dawon nodded and Mrs. Son wiped her tears. The three smiled at each other. Yehyeon who was at the kitchen doing dishes witnessed them with a smile on his face.

*             *             *

                Dawon came into her room after had a little chat with Mr. and Mrs. Son at the table while having dinner. She leaned against the door and let out a sigh.

-Flashback-

“I had been thinking” Dawon looked at both Mr. and Mrs. Son as she played with the food in her plates.

“About your engagement?” Mrs. Son guessed. Dawon bit her lips and nodded. “Honey, the other day Wendy wanted to talk about this with me but then we stopped because we thought we should discuss this with you” Mrs. Son informed her husband.

“You want to call the wedding off?” Mr. Son asked. “Yes. If that’s possible” Dawon replied. “But why? I saw you and Eric were close. And you two look good together. Or are you two on a fight? Maybe you need sometimes to think about this again?” “No I don’t think so. I think that he’s not the one for me. When I look at him or be with him” she looked down. “It just make me anxious and not comfortable. I hope I can” she looked at them one after another. “Feel that deep feeling you two felt when looking at each other”

“Owh, Wendy” Mrs. Son smiled coyly and met eyes with Mr. Son. He smiled at her and curled one strand of her hair behind her ears. They exchanged smiles.

“I guess that explains it” Mr. Son replied. “He’s not the one for you if you can’t feel the feeling deep in you. But Wendy, you can talk to us again about this if you change your mind later”

                Dawon nodded. “Thank you for understanding”

-End of flashback-

                Dawon walked out from the bathroom after cleaned herself. Her eyes landed to the dolls on her bed. She smiled but not for long. *Donghyun is not here. I guess he’s still angry with me*

*             *             *

“Really?” Dabin giggled as Ahyeon told her a joke. They walked down the hallway, arms cling to each other. Dabin had the soft cookie she just bought in her grip. They chat as she ate.

                Jaehyun saw them from afar and smiled. He walked towards them and snatched the bag of cookies in Dabin’s other hand. He bit on the soft cookie in her hand before ran away.

“Yah, Jaehyun!” Dabin snarled in annoyance. He didn’t turn back and smiled in satisfaction.

“That jerk” Ahyeon narrowed her eyes at him. Dabin pouted and her shoulder deflated. “I want to give that to Miss Wendy”

 

 

                Dawon was at the school garden. She was reading. A person sat beside her. She lifted her head in surprise. “Donghyun-ah”