Chapter 37

Charmed

When the doctor shook his head, I felt like my world instantly came crashing down.

“I’m sorry but we did all that we could to save him. He was hit too badly,” the doctor said remorsefully.

My legs gave out and I dropped to the floor, sobbing my heart out. Min Hyuk, who started crying as well, came and comforted me.

Shell was sobbing in Yu Kwon’s arms and Jade was being comforted by Ji Hoon.

I forced myself up and entered the operation room.

I went beside Jaehyo, who was lying down peacefully with his cuts and bruises. He had multiple stitches.

Right there and then, I felt that I wouldn’t be able to smile or laugh again. The happiness from my life had disappeared forever. Even with Min Hyuk by my side, it wasn’t going to change anything.

It then dawned on me. I was in love, but it was far too late. The person who had my heart was no longer living. Like everyone said, you never know what you’ve had till you lose it. I lost Jaehyo and now, I was filled with regret. I regretted not telling him I loved him. I should’ve made an effort to understand him better, or something. I regretted so many things that I didn’t do with Jaehyo and it made me sick to the stomach. I wouldn’t be able to see him smile again, or see him blush when I complimented him. I couldn’t even gaze into those big beautiful eyes of his or feel his soft lips on mine. Star-crossed lovers, we were.

It was quiet in the room although all of us were in there. All I could hear was the monotonous sound of the machine. It was proof that Jaehyo didn’t have a pulse anymore. I reached my hand out and touched his chest, where his heart was. I couldn’t control my tears. There really isn’t a beat. I slowly moved my hand to his face and his pale cheek.

One by one, the others left the room so I could have my time with Jaehyo. They knew what he meant to me and what I meant to him. Min Hyuk stayed with me just in case I needed a hug.

When I knew that it was just the three of us in the room, I spoke. “Jaehyo-ah~ I know you may not be with us anymore but I hope you can hear me. I’m sorry if I’ve hurt you and I regret not saying it sooner. I just wanted to say that I’m so glad to have met you and I’m happy that you found me first. I miss the times we spent together and I wish we could’ve made more memories. Thank you for comforting me when I was scared when we were on the plane. I should’ve told you before but I fell for you first when I met you on the plane but I didn’t think that my feelings for you were real. But I was very wrong. So, now I’m gonna say it, oppa. I know it’s too late but I’m gonna say it anyway. I love you. Sarangahae. Oppa, I love you with all my heart. And I wish you could be here to hear it.”

I stopped talking. I felt lighter. I was happy I finally told Jaehyo I loved him. Those were my last words to him. I smiled at the thought that his last words were ‘Thank goodness’ and thought it matched with what I said. However, I still felt remorseful.

“Miss, I’m sorry but it’s time for you to go,” a nurse voiced sadly as she looked at me in pity.

I looked at Jaehyo once more and soaked it in. I stood up and carefully planted a peck on his forehead. “Goodbye, I’ll miss you.”

Min Hyuk put his hands on my shoulders and squeezed them. “I’m proud of you. I could’ve never done what you just did and I respect you for that.”

I nodded and he brought me out of the room. Another nurse went in to prepare Jaehyo for other things.

“I already called his parents. They’re on the way here,” Ji Ho told us.

“Neh, kaja,” I managed to voice out.

They looked at me sorrowfully.

“Come on. I know Jaehyo just passed on but he wouldn’t want us to be too sad. He would want us to know that he’s fine and that we shouldn’t be too affected by it,” I told them.

They nodded. We started walking away towards the entrance. I glanced at the room one last time before heading out the sliding doors.

We walked towards the cars that were parked nearby. I stopped in my tracks. The others turned to look at me, expecting me to say something.

“Sonia, what’s wrong?” the others asked.

Instead of answering them, I ran back towards the hospital. I ran through the sliding doors and back to the operation room. I went through the door and saw Jaehyo, still the same I left him earlier. Hmmm… that was weird. How did I get here? Why am I back? Wasn’t I with the others in the car park? The nurses in the room looked at me. I turned around to go and scratched my head. I saw the others running towards me.

“What happened, noona? Did you forget something?” Yu Kwon asked.

“Why did you run away like that? You made us worried,” pouted Jade.

“I don’t know. One minute, I was in the car park with you guys and the next, I was back here,” I was skeptical.

“I think you need sleep. It’s almost 4 in the morning. We all need sleep. We need to be up early for the funeral,” chuckled Min Hyuk.

“Yeah, let’s go,” I smiled again and started to walk away.

*BEEP*….*BEEP*….*BEEP*

Hmmm… I must be imagining things. Wow, I really need my sleep.

*BEEP*….*BEEP*….*BEEP*

I stopped in my tracks again. My eyes widened in surprise. I snapped my head towards the door. I turned around and rushed back into the room. I glanced at the monitor, wide-eyed. There’s a pulse! Even the nurses around Jaehyo were shocked. They immediately attended to him. The others came in behind me and saw the frenzy. We were all shocked. A doctor barged in and shooed us outside.

We were stunned. Neither of us said anything to each other for a long time.

“So does this mean he’s-” Kyung started.

“Alive?” Tae Il finished.

A smile grew on my face. We waited outside in hope that Jaehyo could be saved after all.

After 45 minutes, the doctor came out with a smile on his face. Instantly, I knew.

“I must say that I did not expect this. Your friend had injuries so bad that it was basically impossible for him to survive. This must be a miracle. Congratulations!” the doctor clapped his hands together.

“So he’ll be normal when he wakes up?” Shell asked.

“We’re not sure but he’s shown a speedy recovery in the past 45 minutes. So, I see why not,” the doctor smiled again.

“Can we see him now?” I asked eagerly.

“Yes, but not for too long,” the doctor warned.

Everyone else thanked the doctor while I pushed the door wide open and came to Jaehyo’s bed side. He was peacefully sleeping and it made me grin widely. I caressed his cheek. The rest came in.

***

“I’ll stay, you guys should go,” I told them.

“No, you should get some sleep first. You can come back later when you're fresh. Don’t you want to look good for him when he wakes up?” Min Hyuk smirked.

That is kinda true.

“Neh,” I said as I bent down beside Jaehyo. I whispered in his ear, “Oppa, wait for me. I’ll be back soon.”