Chapter 22

Charmed

My alarm clock rang at 7 in the morning and woke me up. I felt something soft beside me. My eyelids parted and beside me laid a white daisy. I picked it up and grazed the petals. It came with a note.

Dearest Sonia,

Before we start the date, you’ll have to pack some things because our date is going to last 3 days and 2 nights. Hehe ><

Bring your bathing suit, sport shoes, clothes you think you need, 2 pairs of PJ’s, other things you think you might need, and plenty of sun block!

Call me once you’re done and I’ll meet you out front.

All my love,

Min Hyuk

I smiled at the note and decided to pack my things first before bathing.

I put the daisy in a sweet vase.

I couldn’t fit everything in my cute haversack bag. So, I had to bring a duffel bag. I know I didn’t have to bring much but I was never good at packing light.

I took a nice bubble bath, waxed and shaved. After I was done, I slipped into a white dress that showed my shoulders and reached my mid-thigh.  I blow dried my hair till it looked the way I wanted it to and put on some lip gloss. I put my DSLR in my bag before I forgot to.

I ringed Min Hyuk and went down to meet him.

“Have fun with Min Hyuk on your date!” Jade wished and hugged me at the door, “Ji Hoon told me.”

“Thanks, I’m gonna miss you!” I beamed.

“Annyung!” she said before closing the door.

“Hello there beautiful,” Min Hyuk greeted me.

“Hey,” I smiled.

He was wearing the cute glasses I loved and carried a similar duffel bag. The only difference was that mine was pink.

“So, what’s first?” I asked eagerly.

“First, we’re going to have breakfast and then, we’re going to take a ferry to Boston Harbour Islands.”

“Oh my gosh, chincha?! Ah! So excited!” I said, jumping up and down like a kid.

He laughed at me and was jubilant too.

We took a cab to the Long Wharf North Ferry Terminal and ate somewhere near there after getting our tickets.  After having a big breakfast of eggs and bacon and waffles, we strolled around for a while. At 9.30am, we queued up to enter the ferry. Luckily, there weren’t many people going on vacation to the Boston Harbor Islands that time of year. There was only another family of 5 and 3 couples along with us on the ferry.

Min Hyuk and me chose a seat on the top deck of the ferry so we could enjoy the fresh breeze. Before I sat down, the ferry jerked, causing me to fall backwards. Before I could fall further, Min Hyuk who was standing behind me, caught me. I saw Min Hyuk’s perfectly sculpted face inches away from mine when my eyes opened.

My heart skipped a beat. He stood me up on my feet.

“Gwaenchanayo?” he looked concerned.

“Neh, gomawo,” I nervously said.

“We should take pictures,” he said as he took out his camera.

I took mine out as well.

We took plenty of pictures; some funny, happy, sad and dramatic. We looked like a couple. I knew that and he did too. The rest of the way, Min Hyuk put his arm around my waist while I leaned against his shoulders and slept.

 

I was in my room. Well, it looked like my room. The furniture and even the wallpaper were old; like vintage. In front of me stood a girl, who was more or less the same height as me. Her hazel coloured hair was tied up in an intricate pretzel braid that looked so pretty. Wait, why is she in my room? Who is she? I didn’t let her in.

 I got the shock of my life when she turned. I rubbed my eyes to confirm what I saw. It was like looking in the mirror. She looked exactly like me and there was no denying it. The same face structure, the hazel doe-eyes and the same cupid bow lips. She even had the same small mole above her left eyebrow. It was scary, like looking at a twin. Why was I having this dream? Was it a vision? No, it can’t possibly be.

Suddenly, she moved across the room to her closet, oblivious to my existence. I followed behind her. Something caught my eye. The calendar on the wall stated July 4th, 1929; Independence Day. I followed my “twin” into the closet and saw her crouching on the ground. She removed the carpet there. She lifted the floor board marked with an “A” and took a small purple book out. It looked like a diary. She scribbled inside it for a while and kept it back properly.

She shut the closet door and opened the secret one amidst all her coats. It revealed the same spiral staircase that led downwards. I walked behind her and walked through the tunnel easily. It was the same tunnel, just that the lights were brighter.

When we were reaching the end of the tunnel, she suddenly called out, “Eugene?”

“Anna? I’m here, my love.”

Her expression became brighter and she adjusted her dress and hair before walking any further. I saw hand being offered for Anna to take. I stopped in my tracks. Eugene, no doubt about it, looked exactly like Jaehyo. I was confused. It’s already creepy enough that the guy and girl looked like Jaehyo and me but why did they go by different names? Why is my dream set in the past? Was there a message behind it?

“Come, we must leave before dawn. Our parents might realise we’re gone if we don’t go now,” whispered Eugene.

 

The blasting sound of the ferry’s horn woke me up. I shook my dream away, not wanting to think about it while I was on a date. Min Hyuk was jolted out of his sleep as well and it made me burst out laughing. He gave his clumsy smile that made me melt. The ferry was reaching the beautiful island.

Once the ferry docked, Min Hyuk and me carried our belongings and walked on the soft white sand along the beach. The water was so clean and clear. The skies were blue and clear too. It was a wonderful day so far. We were then brought to the resort there by a guide.

While Min Hyuk signed in at the counter, I browsed at some brochures provided on the table. I took one brochure with a map and the daily activities held. I was glad there weren’t many people then. It felt more serene and private.

After a while, Min Hyuk stood in front of me with a smile on his face, jiggling the keys in his hands.