Chapter 2

Charmed

I carried my hand luggage to put it in the compartment above. I assumed one of the stewardesses would give me a hand but all of them were busy. I tried my level best but couldn’t. I was too short even after tip-toeing. Oh fish nuggets! Just when it was about to fall, a strong hand appeared and pushed my luggage up. I whirled around to find a handsome guy, probably my age, smiling at me. OH MY GOSH! He’s so charming! And talk about being a gentleman. I stood there dumbfounded when all I needed was to thank him.

Before I could say anything, he spoke. “Uh, jwisong hamnida, but I think you’re in my seat.”

I froze. He’s Korean; a very handsome, very kind Korean hunk.

The man checked his pass once again and replied with an accent, “Oh, I’m sorry my boy!”

The bulgy tummy guy gave his creepy smile again and went to sit at his assigned seat. I flinched as the Korean hunk faked a cough, probably indirectly telling me to move. I panicked. What should I do? I haven’t even thanked him. Should I thank him now? What to do? WHAT TO DO?! The next few moments, everything seemed to happen in slow motion, like in romance novels and movies. I spun on my feet to face him to thank him. Unfortunately, I lost my balance. I was falling, falling. It seemed endless. I was about to be embarrassed for life. I shut my eyes tightly, preparing myself for the worst. I expected the feeling of the hardness of the ground or the softness of the chair, but it never came. Instead, I felt a pair of firm arms hold on to me protectively. My eyes snapped open. I found myself looking into two big pools of black laced with long eyelashes. I blinked and they blinked back.

“Ma’am, sir, please be seated. The plane is about to take off,” explained a tall stewardess.

I squirmed in the stranger’s arms and quickly sat down, wide-eyed. He sat down beside me and choked back laughter. I was getting annoyed with this guy. Is he mocking me? Is he being serious? Urgh! My blood started to boil. He was vibrating with laughter! And I thought he was nice earlier. PSH! I wanted to tell him off but he helped me twice. I just decided to let it go. I ignored him for the whole of take off and didn’t even thank him.

After moments of awkwardness, he spoke. “Annyeong haseyo, I didn’t introduce myself. Ahn Jaehyo imnida.”

Whatever you do, don’t give in! Don’t give in. Don’t fall for his charm! But it was too late.

“Annyeong, Sonia imnida. Uhhh….gomawoyo… for uhh…just now.”

“Gukjung hajeema! It’s not every day that I get to save a yehppeun yeoja.”

I felt a tingle down my spine and heat on my checks and awkwardly said, “Haaa…”

Jaehyo stared at me, smiled and added, “So, pink cheeks huh?”

My eyes widened and I hurriedly clasped my cheeks. I was burning from the embarrassment.

The flight was silent. For eighteen hours, Jaehyo did his own thing and I did mine. I refused to speak to him. Most of what I did was sleep, eat, watch movies and read a book I recently bought. I’d soon thought that maybe sitting next to the creepy man wouldn’t be such a bad thing after all.