Chapter 13

Charmed

“I’d like that,” I nodded as he let me in.

I was amazed at the cleanliness of their apartment when I stepped in. I mean they were rough guys so I didn’t expect it.

“We take turns to clean the house. Kyung is a neat freak,” Jaehyo read my mind.

“Where are the others?”

“They’re out for dinner and won’t be back till late. I should give you a tour first.”

We toured around the apartment as he introduced each room like some game show host on TV.

The last stop was his room. It was in the basement. I was in awe as I looked around his room. It was big and neat and most importantly, felt like home. I walked around the room, touching some of his stuff which he didn’t seem to mind.

“What’s this random painting doing here, oppa?” I pointed to the random painting in the corner that anyone could’ve ignored.

“I noticed that too when I decided to have my room here. Actually, there’s a hole behind that painting. I don’t know why it’s there or where it leads to but no one else knows about it except me, you and the owners I guess.”

“Oh, that sounds mysterious. Wanna investigate?” I asked, feeling adrenaline pump into my system.

“I guess so. I mean since there’s two of us, it’s safer. Let’s go.”

Jaehyo and I removed the painting from the wall, revealing a hole that was less than 6 foot. Wow, that’s a big hole. I took out my phone and turned the bright light on, showing us the way.

Jaehyo held my hand and walked us through the tunnel. It was lined with a light every 3 meters but it was still really dim regardless. About 20 meters later, we found spiral staircase that lead upwards. It was made of bricks and was cemented so we knew it was safe to climb. The stairs were only about 2 storeys high. And then it ended there.

The only thing in front of us was a wooden door.

“Should we open it?” I asked, feeling a tad afraid of what might be behind it.

“That’s the only way we’ll find out.”

It was dead silent. I could only hear my raspy breathing and my heartbeat in my ears.

After counting to three, Jaehyo opened it.

The place was filled was clothes, lots of it. I felt like we were in the movie Narnia and wanted to laugh badly. It looked and felt familiar. Why does it feel like I’ve been here before?

“It feels like I’ve been here before,” I whispered to Jaehyo.

Then there was another door. There was no light coming from the gaps underneath the door so it felt safer to enter the room or whatever it was.

Slowly, Jaehyo turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.

“Oh my goodness,” I breathed out, as I saw the bags of clothes from just now on the floor.

“What?” asked Jaehyo.

“This is my room.”

“What?!” he walked towards the light switch and turned it on.

I started cackling when I looked around the room. It really is my room!

Jaehyo was astounded.

“Why would someone build a tunnel to this room?” he questioned.

“That’s up to the owner to answer. Well, at least we know where it leads to now. But it’s still creepy. And it feels so Narnia-ish.”

“Yeah, and it feels dangerous.”

I yawned.

“I think I should head back now. You’re obviously tired. You have classes tomorrow too so you should get some sleep.”

“Do you have classes tomorrow?” I was curious.

“Yes, but they start and end later.”

“Araso. Oppa, please go by the front door. I don’t think the tunnel should be used. It feels weird.”

“Neh, you don’t use it either. If you want to, call me so I can fetch you or we can meet halfway.”

“Araso,” I led him to the front door.

“Oppa!” I hugged him tightly, “Thank you for today. The food was really nice and I had an incredible time. I hope we can do this more often.”

“I had a great time too. Jal jja,” he waved.

“Jal jja.”

I realized how sleepy I was after closing the door. I didn’t feel like bathing and just wanted to sleep. My phone vibrated. I checked it and saw that it was a message from Jade:

Hey babe, sleeping over at the boys’ tonight. Got you muffins from Tiffany’s. Love ya! Jal jja!

I smiled at the thought of her kindness and of course, the very yummy muffins I’ll be devouring tomorrow.

I went back to my room to wash up and change into my PJ’s before snuggling with my bed.

I was a tiny bit terrified about the tunnel as I lay on the bed. Just to know that it was there gave me the hibbie-jibbies. Why would someone make it in the first place? It made shivers travel down my spine. I knew that there were only two rooms connected by the tunnel; mine and Jaehyo’s. There’s no reason to be afraid. If I needed anything, I can always call anyone of the boys or Jade or run out of the house hysterically saying, “There’s something in the house!” But I’m not that crazy.

***

No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t sleep that night. Just the thought of the tunnel being in my closet would jolt me from my sleep and keep me awake. I looked at the time displayed on my phone. ! 1.08 am. This is not good. I have a class tomorrow. I was deciding who to call; Min Hyuk or Jaehyo? It took me awhile. I just couldn’t decide.

Then, as if God read my mind, my phone buzzed. I glanced at the display; Min Hyuk oppa. Yes, my prayers have been answered!

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Sonia, are you asleep?”

“Aniyo. If I was, I wouldn’t answer the phone,” I chuckled at the dumb question.

“Ah, neh. Do you think I could come over? I’m having trouble sleeping and none of the guys like to share their bed.”

“Oppa, how about I come over? I’m having trouble sleeping too.”

“Araso, I just opened the window. You can come now.”

I disconnected the line and hopped off the bed to open my window. I stepped out into the cold cautiously, closing my window behind me.  I crossed over the metal beam easily and within no time, I was safe in Min Hyuk’s room. The window was shut immediately after I came in as the breeze outside today was colder since it was autumn.

I crawled into Min Hyuk’s bed at the sight of it and rested on his fluffy pillow. He came under the covers from the other side and slept close beside me. I took in his soothing scent and within seconds, I was asleep.