Chapter 17

Charmed

 

“Do you really need me to say it?” he asked, surprised.

“I guess so,” I said shyly.

“She’s… Regina, from your class,” he beamed.

My heart shattered into a million pieces. I tried to keep the smile on my face although my insides were falling apart. Actually, there was really no way to describe how I felt then.

“I totally didn’t expect that,” I said unconvincingly, my voice shaky, “Erm, sorry, I have to go to the washroom.”

Before he could say anything, I sprinted up the stairs and into the closest washroom. I locked myself inside and sank to the floor whilst breaking down in tears. I was sobbing so hard, people from outside might hear me. I beat myself up inside for being so naive, but later realised that I wasn’t exactly the one who should be blamed. It was him. Was he trying to lead me on? Why did he bring me on a date if he wasn’t trying to?! Why did he give me all those signs? Why did he kiss me or at least try to? Why did he act like he cared? WAE?! WAE YO?!

Questions flooded my mind. If he didn’t like me, he shouldn’t have done what he did; leading me on. I felt insulted and ashamed. At the same time, I couldn’t be angry with him because I felt something for him. I didn’t know what it was yet but there was definitely something. I cried for the forever in the washroom. I didn’t want to come out. I just wanted to rot to death in there. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

“Sonia, gwaenchanayo? You’ve been in there for quite a while now. Do you need something? Are you having cramps? A tummy ache?” asked Jaehyo.

“Aniyo, I’m fine! I don’t need anything!” I shouted back at him, trying to sound normal.

Yes, I need a hug. A giant hug and I need it now. And I’m not fine, Jaehyo, ‘cause apparently, you broke my heart.

“Araso, don’t stay in there too long.”

“Neh,” I whimpered, holding back I wail.

***

I finally came out after feeling slightly calmer. But the hurt was still there and it was visible on my face. I tried to make myself look sleepy when I walked down to the basement again.

“What took you so long?” Jaehyo was curious.

“I felt like vomiting just now,” I lied.

“Do you need medicine?” he panicked.

“Aniyo! I’m fine. But I think I should head to bed now ‘cause I’m sleepy.”

I turn around and started on the stairs.

“I think you should sleep in my room tonight. The others will probably be distracting you since they’re watching a movie,” Jaehyo offered.

It made me stop in my tracks. I wanted it but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to fall in his trap again. My heart was saying yes but my brain discouraged me from doing so. I had to bull my way out of this.

“Aniyo... It’s not right for us to be sleeping together since there’re only two of us. What will the others think? I’ll just sleep upstairs. Jal jja,” I explained with such difficulty.

I didn’t actually care about sleeping together because I’ve shared a bed with Min Hyuk several times. But I couldn’t bear sleeping in the same bed with Jaehyo tonight. Not when I felt this miserable and he was the cause of it.

“But someone should take care of you since you’re sick,” Jaehyo retaliated.

“Aniyo, I told you I’m not sick. I just felt queasy just now,” I replied him one last time before running up the stairs.

I quickly shut the door leading to the basement behind me. I was about to break into tears again when Min Hyuk appeared.

“Sonia! I was searching for you!” he whispered.

“I just had to visit the washroom. Why are you whispering?”

“The others slept halfway through the Omen. They were really tired so I turned off the TV.”

“I see. Why are you still awake, oppa?”

“I was searching for you.”

“But you could’ve slept first, you know? You look lethargic. I could’ve found my way back to the living room too,” I chuckled.

“I felt worried and troubled because you weren’t there beside me,” he pouted.

I stomped up to him then circled my arms around him. I hugged him tightly and started crying, which caused a huge tear-stain to appear on his shirt. He may not know what was happening but he gave me his warmth and comfort. He embraced me and let me cry. After I was done, he held me by my shoulders and bent down slightly so his face was level with mine.

“A lot of people say that girls look prettier when they cry but I disagree. You look best when you’re smiling and laughing. I love hearing your laughter because I feel as if it makes all my troubles disappear. Now, you wouldn’t want me to worry, right?”

I shook my head innocently. He put his hand on my cheek.

“Good. Don’t cry anymore, araso? Let’s go to bed now.”

“Oppa, if you don’t like or love a girl, you won’t lead her on, right?”

“No, that would be wrong and will only make a girl hate you.”

“Thank you, oppa,” I gave a little smile.

He beamed back. “Now, that’s what I wanted to see. Smile more.”

I was surprised he wasn’t curious about why I cried. But I preferred it that way.

I followed him into the living room, where the others were and searched for my sleeping bag.

“Oppa, have you seen my sleeping bag?” I asked in hush tones after not being able to find it.

He searched for it to and found out that it was under Tae Il.

How am I supposed to sleep now?

“If you want, you could share mine with me, Sonia.”

I nodded.

His sleeping bag was quite small. It was like a single bed but very slightly bigger after it was spread out. Min Hyuk suddenly disappeared and then came back with a blanket a minute later.

He laid down beside me and placed the blanket over us. We were both facing each other and our bodies were touching. I curled up against him because he was warm. I fell asleep to the sound of a deep chuckle rumbling in his chest.