Chapter 18

Charmed

 

The breeze fiddled with my hair and made me shiver. The skies above me grew darker each second. I brisk walked along the stoned pathway, seeking shelter. Not far from where I was standing, I saw a gazebo. I quickened my pace and headed towards it. However, as I got closer to it, I noticed there were two guys in it. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if I just stayed there a little while, till the skies cleared up a bit.

I then realized that the two guys were Jaehyo and Min Hyuk. A smile spread across my face. I walked up the steps of the gazebo, knowing they’ll turn around and see me but it never came. They seemed oblivious to the fact that I was there with them. They both had irritated looks on their faces.

“Oppa? “ I was curious.                                                                                                

They didn’t answer. I moved closer to them and tried to eavesdrop on their conversation.

“No, I had to tolerate this for far too long. I don’t like her. She’s clingy. She follows me like a puppy. I don’t want to put up with this anymore. It’s your turn to pretend to like Sonia. She’s burdensome,” Min Hyuk hissed.

My heart sank into my stomach. I felt like it got destroyed by the acidity of my stomach. It hurt.

“No, I had to lie to her just now that I liked her stupid classmate in order to get rid of her. Did you know how hard that was? She clung to me too so don’t think you’re the only one,” Jaehyo hissed back.

Tears pricked my eyes and eventually, spilled out. I can’t believe they just said that. I can’t believe I didn’t see this coming. They think I’m clingy and want me gone.

Soon, the weather got worse. It was raining cats and dogs and lightning violently. The guys were still arguing. They seemed so determined to get rid of me so that I wouldn’t burden them anymore. Maybe I should help lighten their burden or to get rid of it permanently. I slowly stepped outside the gazebo, not giving it a second thought. I stood near the tallest tree and waited. Not long later, I looked up and saw a blinding flash of light heading towards the tree beside me. It got closer and closer and closer and then...

I woke up from my nightmare drenched in perspiration. I was breathing heavily and there were tears streaming down my soft cheeks. My head rested on Min Hyuk’s chest. I felt his arm around my waist, holding me to him protectively. Thank goodness it was just a nightmare. I cautiously sat up, trying not to wake Sleeping Beauty and stood up. I avoided waking anyone up as I approached the washroom. I washed my face and patted it dry and went to the kitchen for a snack.

I was happy to find coconut pie in the fridge when I searched it. I took it out and warmed it up, not making a sound. When the pie was done, I got some vanilla ice cream out and scooped it on my piece of the pie. YUMMMMMM! It tasted so good. I was so focused on my pie that I didn’t notice Min Hyuk enter the kitchen. I literally jumped from my chair when I saw him beside me. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that it was just him.

“Oppa! You made me get a mini heart attack!” I whispered.

“Mian, I saw you wake up and come here. Gwaenchana?”

“Neh, it was just a nightmare. Mian, oppa, I woke you.”

“That’s okay. I wake up at 5.30 in the morning all the time,” he teased.

“Mian,” I apologized again.

“It’s fine. So, now that we’re both awake, do you want to go jogging with me?”

“Neh?”

“I usually go exercise in the morning. I like the fresh air,” he smiled.

“Oh, neh. I’ll go. Let me change first.”

I followed him up to his room and went out the window to my room on the other side. I washed up, changed into my gym clothes and tied my hair in a high ponytail. I signalled Min Hyuk to come over once I was ready. He got out of his window and shut it. In no time, he was in my room. I shut the windows and went down the stairs to the kitchen.

“What would you like to eat, oppa?”

“Oh, just an energy bar will do. We’ll have breakfast later,” he grinned.

We ate an energy bar each and went out. We walked across the road where there was a huge park. We warmed-up before starting.

“Sonia, if during anytime you suddenly feel like you can’t take it, you tell me. I can always stop.”

“Are you challenging me, oppa? You don’t have to do that. I’ll be able to keep up,” I challenged him.

“We’ll see,” he smirked.

“Wait, what’ll I get if I complete this challenge according to your pace?”

“I told you. We’ll see,” he smirked again.

With that, we started to jog the entire park, which was about 3 miles.

He jogged together quietly and stopped together thrice to brisk walk. I was not going to let him think I was weak. Neither of us was preparing to lose the challenge. I felt tired but not tired enough to stop. So I kept going and going and going till we finished the 3 miles.

“Told you I could do it, oppa. What’s my prize?” I said, slightly breathless.

“You get a piggy bag ride from me to the place we’re eating breakfast at.”

“Which is where?”

“Across the street,” he laughed.

“Oppa, that’s not fair! I ran 3 miles and this is what I get?!” I whined.

“Araso! We’ll get breakfast and come back here to watch the sunrise.”

“Yay! And you must piggy back me home too!” I said, sticking out my pinky to him.

He stuck his pinky out and pinky-promised me. I giggled and he gave his heart-stopping smile.