Chapter 32

Charmed

Jaehyo and me went to the coffeehouse nearby. It was 7.12pm.

“So, we’re not going to have dinner?” I pouted. My stomach was torturing me and growled in retaliation for not giving it food. To make matters worse, it was cold outside. Winter was close.

“Do you want to? I’m quite hungry too.”

“Neh! Kaja!” I said thankfully.

“Where?”

“Let’s go eat at the place where we had our first date.”

“So this is a date?” Jaehyo smiled cheekily.

I slapped him and smiled back. “Ani, it’s just two friends having dinner.”

We brisk-walked there and ordered our food easily. We felt very satisfied after gorging our food. It was still quite early by the time we finished dinner.

“Oppa, what do we do now? I don’t wanna go home yet.”

He thought for a while.

“AH! Let’s go to the carnival. It’s not that far,” he pointed behind me.

***

We were like two hyper kids. We literally raced each other to the carnival. Obviously, Jaehyo won in the end.

“That’s not fair. I can’t run long distances quickly. You have long legs too!”

“I won fair and square. What’s my prize?” Jaehyo proudly asked.

“Erm, I’ll buy you the ticket for all the rides.”

“Araso! You also have to ride everything with me, no matter how scared you are. And as a thank you, I’ll win you something.”

“Chincha?! Okay!”

The first ride we rode on was the Viking. I wasn’t a fan of the Viking. Actually, we were more like enemies. It always gave me a hard time ever since I was little. But I had to face my fears. And even if I didn't want to ride it, Jaehyo would’ve dragged me on anyway.

“Are you okay? You look a little pale.”

“Neh, gukjung hajeema.”

When the ride started, I screamed at the top of my lungs. Jaehyo laughed at me and I instantly felt better. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I was just probably too scared to appreciate it last time. I felt a sense of achievement and walked with my head held high when I got off.

After that, we rode the roller coaster, the afterburner, carousel, drop tower, went into the haunted house and played bumper cars. We decided that we should take a break from the rides. We got popcorn and candy floss and went to the game booths there.

We approached a booth that sold six shots for a dollar. You had to shoot all six cans for a big toy.

“Which one do you want?” Jaehyo asked.

“I want…erm…that one!” I pointed to the cute Mickey and Minnie couple on the wall.

“Araso,” Jaehyo said as he handed the guy a dollar.

The guy laughed at Jaehyo, underestimating him.

“Wanna do it together?”

I nodded enthusiastically.

Jaehyo positioned himself behind me and held the gun up. We held it together.

We both breathed in at the same time and shot the cans, one at a time, and six in a row.

The guy was dumbfounded. I clapped in glee and hugged Jaehyo.

“We did it!” I squealed.

Jaehyo collected the toy and passed it to me. “For you,” he bowed.

“Gomawo! You worked hard too so, here,” I handed him Minnie.

“Kaja, let’s ride the remaining rides and head home.”

We rode the teacups, the swing around and motion simulator.

“Is that all?” I asked.

“Almost, the last one is the Ferris wheel.”

“Okay, let’s go!”

There weren’t a lot of people in line since it was almost 10 so we didn’t have to wait for long. And also, it was a huge Ferris wheel.  Suddenly, it started drizzling.

“Oh no, can we still ride it?” I asked the conductor.

“Yes, there’s no lightning so it’s safe.”

We quickly go on it and sat down, buckling our seat belts. I protected Mickey so he wouldn’t get soaked in the rain. The rain became heavier.

It was nice and slow. The rain felt cool on my skin and the scenery was amazing. You could see the whole carnival and the beach.

“Did you enjoy yourself?” I asked Jaehyo.

“Yeah, I haven’t had this much fun in quite a while. You?”

“Mmmm… it was really fun. And I love it up here. My worries just disappear and I feel free,” I turned my face and just grew silent.

His hair was wet and covered his forehead. I really felt like pushing his hair back. Droplets of water trickled down his face, making it look so soft and touchable.  He was staring so deeply into my eyes that I could feel it reach my soul. It gave me shivers. Suddenly, by the force of attraction, I was drawn closer to him.

I shut my eyes as he pressed his lips on mine. They were so soft like rose petals and tasted like cotton candy. The kiss was slow, soft and sweet. It seemed like time stood still as it rained, making the moment even sweeter. The kiss was everlasting as our bodies were close, our hold on each other unwavering as our kiss intensified. The rain was drenching, but the feeling of the cold droplets streaming down my face while I was intertwined with him was truly breathtaking. I felt like one with him.

Our lips were swollen when we pulled away from each other. I touched my lips and smiled innocently to myself, loving the feeling of the kiss. I peeked at Jaehyo. He too was having the same expression on his face. We both looked at each other at the same time, smiling like idiots.

***

Jaehyo was in my closet, about to go back to his room.

“That was my first kiss by the way.”

I stared at him, “Chincha?”

“Neh.”

“So… how was it?” I asked nervously.

“It was amazing,” he shyly said.

“Good,” I beamed.

“Jal jja, see you tomorrow.”

“Jal jja.”

I closed the closet door and smiled foolishly to myself.

Suddenly, Jaehyo came out again. I was caught off guard. He grabbed me by the hips and kissed me once more. The kiss this time was more passionate. He smiled when he pulled away and greeted me goodnight again. I stood there for a long time then, jumped around the room like a monkey. Inside, I was screaming my heart out.