Chapter 1

Charmed

“This is the last call for all passengers to board the SQ383 to New York. Please proceed to Gate 23 immediately.” repeated the announcer a second time.

I took a moment to look at my friends and family the last time before bidding adieu. Tears started to cloud my eyes. Before I knew it, more of the droplets of salty liquid rolled down my freshly tear-stained cheeks. In return, I got looks of sorrow, pity and some of joy. It was not easy trying to hold back a loud cry, which I so desperately needed to let go. So, I just turned around and ran off towards the gates. This was not exactly what I had in mind to do a week after I turned 21.

“Are you okay, Miss?” questioned the immigration officer sympathetically.

“Yeah, just really emotional right now,” I answered shakily before giving him a reassuring smile.

As I got my passport back, I rolled my pink hand luggage fiercely towards the washroom. Staring at myself in the mirror, I told myself; this isn’t the girl I know. I should be positive about this; A new start, a fresh beginning. That was all I needed. I’ll still email and call my loved ones here. Okay, stop crying now. You’re going to be fine. A smile replaced the frown I had and the creases on my forehead disappeared. Then, I realized that I was about to miss my flight. I scurried towards Gate 23 like a retard. I felt embarrassed when several heads turned to look at me and fingers were pointing in my direction.   

I was relieved to see a long line as I approached Gate 23. I went through the security checks without problems and patiently waited for my boarding pass to be checked. Suddenly, the clouds outside became grey. I stood there in panic. My nightmares had come true. I had horrible experiences with bad weather during flights. My lips started trembling and the creases on my forehead returned.

“Ma’am, boarding pass please,” sang a petite lady.

I eventually realized that she was talking to me. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t escape it! I handed her the boarding pass slowly, hoping that something could happen this moment that could get the flight delayed or something like that. But it never came. After she checked it, she smiled sweetly and told me to proceed to the plane. I just walked on.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves before entering the plane. Take one step at a time. Don’t worry. Think positive. It’s not going to rain. Everything’s going to be fine. With that, I entered the plane cautiously.

At least there was something to make my day better; first class seat. Thank goodness I just had my birthday. That way, my parents would know how pissed I’d get if they didn’t get me a seat in the first class as a birthday gift. All this while, I was hoping that I’d get seated next to a girl my age. In the place of the girl was man in his fifties. He had a big bulging tummy and a creepy e smile. Urgh! It made me crawl all over. Oh well, I guess this flight’s going to make my night worse after all.