Chapter 20

Charmed

In no time, we had reached the library. It was the first time we went there and we were amazed at the size of the place. It was huge and it felt like a library. We went to the second floor where they shelved the adult fiction books. We all went our separate ways and agreed to meet in 45 minutes. I was so engrossed in searching for a book. There were so many good ones and I felt like borrowing all of them. Suddenly, Yu Kwon appeared beside me.

“Noona, can you do me a huge favour?”

“What is it?”

He grabbed my hand and brought me to a less dense space.

“What is it?” I repeated.

“Noona, you see that girl behind me? The one in purple?”

I glanced at her and nodded.

“Well, I know this sounds kind of weird but can you be my wingman?”

I laughed silently at this, thinking he was kidding. However, his expression was serious.

“Seriously?”

“Neh, I feel a connection and I really want to get to know her. If you’ll do this for me, I’ll do anything for you! Yakso!”

I sighed and looked at her again, “Araso but if nothing good happens, it’s too bad.”

He nodded, “Go noona! Fighting!”

I casually walked towards her. Time to make good use of my acting skills!

I looked around and saw no one else except Yu Kwon hiding behind the shelf.

I pretended to faint in front of her.

“Oh my god! Are you okay?!” she rushed to me and started fanning me with a book.

After about 5 seconds, I sat up and opened my eyes.

“Oh no! Did I faint again?” I acted innocent.

The mystery girl nodded. She was really pretty and had a sweet face. She had nice smiling eyes and a slightly husky voice.

“I’m sorry. I must’ve scared you,” I apologized.

“Yeah, are you okay? Do you need the hospital?” She asked as she helped me up on a chair.

“No, that’s okay. I was jogging in the morning today and it was too much for me to handle. So, I’m experiencing some technical difficulties. Sorry,” I smiled shyly at her.

“That’s really no problem. Anyway, I’m Sashelle but you can call me Shell” she took my hand to shake.

“I’m Sonia,” I grinned and then made a puppy face that she couldn’t say no to.

“I know this sounds kinda weird and random, but I feel like I have to take you out for coffee,” she chuckled.

“That sounds awesome. Lemme just get my friends. It’s okay with you if they tag along, right?”

“Sure! Your friends are mine,” she smiled.

“Okay, I’ll meet you in 10 at the entrance,” I told her and left.

I gathered Yu Kwon and Jade and explained the situation to them.

“Noona, you were awesome back there! It was like a movie!”

“Thanks! Now, try to make friends with her but don’t come off too strong, got it?” I warned him.

“Neh!”

***

Fifteen minutes later, we were at a coffeehouse down the street. We looked like we’ve been friends for forever but that wasn’t the case.

Shell was comfortable. She wasn’t awkward like what I thought she’d be. Yu Kwon, on the other hand, was extremely quiet. He only talked when he felt like he had something to say. In other words, he was awkward and it was obvious.

“Yu Kwon, could you help me with the coffees?” I nudged to the counter with my head.

He obediently listened to my instructions and followed me there.

“Why are you quiet? You should show her what you’re truly like. You want her to like her for who you are,” I said to him in hushed tones.

“Mian but she has me spellbound! I can’t say anything ‘cause… I DON’T KNOW! I really just can’t. Every time she flips her hair or smiles, I’m just stunned,” Yu Kwon said, in deep thought, “And I feel like I know her, like I’ve met her before…”

“Awww, you love her, don’t you?” I suddenly realised. I thought he just liked her because she was pretty and wanted to hook up with her. But he had something for her and he didn’t know. It really was love at first sight for him.

“I don’t know. I’ve never been in love. But this sure feels like it,” he smiled lovingly.

I understood. I mean I think I understand. I mean I know that love is amazing from what I hear and see. I don’t think I know what it feels like though. Maybe I do, but I’m not that sure...

“I’ll do whatever it takes to help you get her but be patient,” I told him.

***

I told Yu Kwon to head home with Jade first while I walked with Shell.

“So Shell, what do you think of my friends?”

“Honestly, I think they’re really friendly and caring and fun. But Yu Kwon is a little…” she did an ‘okay’ hand gesture.

“Why? Is it because he’s too quiet?”

“I don’t know. When I saw him, I thought he was pretty cute. But I think he’s a bit to girly.”

OUCH.

“Oh, I see,” I sounded disappointed.

“Sonia, we should hang out more often. You know, with your friends too? Could I get your number?”

“Yeah, I’d love that,” I smiled.

We exchanged numbers and I waved to her before I turned to walk the other direction.

To my horror, I saw Yu Kwon there, with tears in his eyes.