Chapter 34

Charmed

It was painful. It truly was. I didn’t take the bus with Min Hyuk to classes anymore. He didn’t even ask me questions in class anymore. The both of them didn’t come over for months. No calls, no texts and not even a smile or ‘hi’ from them. I knew the both of them made an agreement not to talk to me or do anything to affect my decision. But it was torture. Pure torture.

I thought about them every day, listing out their characteristics and pros and cons in my mind but it was tough; especially with exams around the corner. These coming examinations would determine whether or not I was fit to be a surgeon. If I failed this, they would drop me from the university. So, for the first time in a really long time, I put my worries about my relationships aside and focused on my current problem.

I was so focused on studying and practicing for this exam. I barely saw the seasons change back to summer and even forgot my own birthday. I didn’t notice the changes around me. Yes, I was that stressed. Jade and Shell brought me on a shopping spree on my birthday but I told them to immediately bring me home after that so I could study. I had no time to waste.

Then, the day came. Exam day. I had a paper in the morning and another in the afternoon. I prepared everything beforehand. I had my clothes laid out, my stationeries packed, my alarm clock set. That’s why I arrived early this morning. I even planned how much time I needed to grab breakfast and calm down once I was in class. I had 45 minutes to spare. I went through my personalized flash cards and re-capped the concepts I needed to know. This is it, Sonia. You won’t screw it up. You’ve been revising for months and you deserve it. Do your best! FIGHTING!

I saw Min Hyuk when he walked in and he caught me off guard. I haven’t paid any attention to him in months since I was so focused on studying. His hair was a slightly longer and he looked tired. He had dark circles under his eyes. My hands were itching to send him a good luck message but under the terms of the agreement, I wasn’t allowed to. And I wasn’t so sure if my message would motivate him or make him lose his concentration.

Shut your mind up and go back to studying!I couldn’t I felt like he needed the encouragement. He sat 3 rows in front of me on my right, where his name card was placed. He goes nothing.

Oppa! I know this is against the terms of the agreement but do well! Oppa fighting!

I saw him take his phone out when it beeped. I saw his fingers move, typing vigorously on the keypad. I didn’t receive a return message for quite long. Suddenly, my phone vibrated.

It was from Jade:

You’re not allowed to have any direct communication with the guys ‘cause of the agreement. But… Min Hyuk said thanks and both boys told me to wish you all the best! The others wish you good luck too! Do us proud Sonia!

That text instantly made my day. Although it wasn’t a direct message from Jaehyo and Min Hyuk but I still felt so cheerful. It was a good start and made me look forward to the paper.

“Okay every one, please switch off and keep all your digital devices and notes in your bag and place them in the front. Anyone caught cheating will automatically be deemed expelled,” announced the professor.

I kept all my things in my bag and took out my stationeries.

Our papers were handed out and when he told us to start, I said a prayer and flipped the page.

***

I rushed home to study again that day. The paper today was very fair and I was quite glad that it ended up that way. I was confident but I couldn’t be complacent. I had another paper tomorrow, followed by the last exam, the practical. We had to show them how to operate on dummies. I was scared for that one because I knew that one wrong move or a hint of unpreparedness would make you fail. Luckily, I got a lot of practice and watched surgeries being performed on people.

I made Jade and Shell test me on my concepts and theories at home using a game. It was great and made me remember the information in an easier way. They also watched me perform surgery on a soft toy I bought. They ‘eeewed’ and ‘aaahed’ at the things I did. After I was done, they clapped.

“Good job, doctor! Congratulations!” they said.

By the time I was done studying, I packed my stuff and prepared everything. I went to sleep at 10pm.

***

I woke up at 6 the next morning. My paper was at 11 so I thought that I should jog at the park. I needa get my blood pumping! I tied my hair up in a ponytail and wore a pink headband. To match, I wore a pink sports bra, pink shorts and pink sport shoes. I plugged in my earpiece and listened to music.

I saw Min Hyuk and Jaehyo on their porch steps when I got out. Luckily, they didn’t see me. I felt glad that their friendship wasn’t destroyed because of my relationship with them. Anyway, it’s bros before hoes, right? Honestly, I missed them but I had to finish up my mission before I could get my prize.

I jogged 2 miles and got plenty of oxygen pumped into my lungs and it felt good. I was covered in sweat and decided to stop when it was almost sunrise.

I bought a cup of coffee and a foot long sandwich from Subway across the street. I found a bench nearby and enjoyed the scenery as I waited for the sun to rise. I took a bite of my sandwich and smiled. This is so tasty! It feels like it’s been so long since I ate proper food. Because I haven’t been eating much, I’ve slimmed down. The good thing was that it made me look better but it was still unhealthy that I haven’t been getting the nutrition I needed. I made a mental note to myself to eat properly after today.

Suddenly, the spaces beside me were occupied. I looked beside me and found Jaehyo and Min Hyuk. They were smiling.

“What are you guys doing here? How’d you know I was here? I thought we couldn’t see each other or have any contact at all,” I asked, tears of joy filling my eyes.

“We’ve been stalking you every day and sometimes, we ask Jade and Shell to do it. We decided that we’ve had enough of this. We hate seeing you alone all the time and we miss you a lot. We care about you and we don’t want anybody getting hurt,” Min Hyuk said.

“So, we decided that we ignore the agreement and just start over. It doesn’t matter who you love now because the both of us will always be there for you and will love you no matter what or who you choose,” Jaehyo beamed.

“Unless, he’s not either one of us then, we’ll have to get to know the guy first,” added Min Hyuk.

“So, you guys aren’t mad at me anymore?”

“No, it wasn’t your fault. You liked both of us and you could help it.”

“You can’t deny your feelings for someone,” said Jaehyo.

“Awwww… Guys….” I said as tears trickled down my cheeks.

Jaehyo and Min Hyuk hugged me at the same time. At that picture perfect moment, I felt like it was truly the happiest moment of my life.

After a long hug, all of us sat back down and enjoyed the sunrise.