Chapter 3

Charmed

I realized it was freezing cold when my body started shivering and when my face felt numb. I was half asleep with my new book in my hands and my legs crossed on my seat. Suddenly, I felt my book being slowly pried from my hands. I wondered who was doing that but didn’t bother to check. Feeling sudden warmth engulf me, I had to peep. Jaehyo was spreading his blanket over me and was trying to tuck me in. That’s sweet. But my feelings for him didn’t budge despite his kind act.

Before I could settle in the warmth around me, a stewardess stopped in front of Jaehyo and whispered, “Would you like an extra blanket for your girlfriend?”

What?! Girlfriend? Is she kidding me? I knew he’d feel shocked too and would explain that I wasn’t his… GIRLFRIEND.

Instead he said, “Yeh, jwisong hamnida. Can I have a pillow too?”

The stewardess handed him the extra blanket and the pillow and left.

Immediately, I felt the extra blanket top the previous one. Jaehyo lifted my head cautiously and placed the pillow against his shoulder and put my head back down. Was I lying on his shoulder the whole time? I didn’t know. Next, he did something I did not expect at all. He got under the blankets and rested his head on mine. This instantly pulled at my heartstrings. I was basically speechless. But I didn’t mind him doing that for some reason. I just felt safe with him.

“You’re not sleeping, aren’t you?” he asked, sounding like he had a smirk on his face.

I immediately retaliated, trying to sound innocent, “Neh, I was! I was just...just… trying to… never mind. I’ll just get out of your way.”

I groaned and got the blanket off me while shifting my head to the window, preparing to freeze to death. Before I could accomplish that, my wrist was grabbed and I was pulled back.

My face was just an inch from Jaehyo’s when he said, “Don’t move. You’ll freeze. I promise I won’t disturb you again.”

“Fine,” I answered coldly as I snuggled myself under the blanket again.

I wasn’t sure if I should rest my head on his shoulder so I just did. I was about to go into a deep slumber when it was interrupted again. The plane started shaking and bouncing due to the heavy rain outside. I sat up straight and held on to the seat really tightly. The seatbelt sign flashed back on.

“This is your captain speaking. We seem to be experiencing bad weather. Please return to your seats and stay calm,” announced the pilot without conviction.

I was extremely nervous and afraid. What if the plane crashes? What if I don’t make it alive?! I broke down in tears. A firm hand gripped mine, preventing me from being any more pessimistic. I looked at Jaehyo with my sore eyes to see a reassuring smile on his lips.

“We’re going to be fine. Yakso.”

I nodded and tried to smile but failed epically.

After a few terrifying minutes, the horror stopped. I was so relieved. My tears stopped flowing and I turned to look at Jaehyo.

“You’re staring.”

“Neh? Oh!” I tore my hands and my gaze away from him. “Gomawoyo. I think I would’ve fainted if you weren’t here with me.”

Jaehyo just gave his heart stopping smile and went back to sleep.

***

Jaehyo helped me bring down my luggage again before heading out of the plane with me. There was a long awkward silence when we didn’t speak for what seemed like forever. I should say something. But what do I say?

“So… what brings you to the Big Apple?”

“Oh, aniyo! I’m actually heading to Massachusetts. I’m a freshman at Harvard.”

My heart stopped the moment I heard ‘Harvard’.

“BO?! What a coincidence. I’m a freshman at Harvard too!”

“Well then, looks like we’ll be seeing a lot of each other,” he said and winked.

“Neh,” I said, giving a nervous chuckle.

We made our way through the huge, crowded airport to Gate 75. Jaehyo was attacked by a stampede of 6 guys’ right after the security checks. They all either jumped on top of him, punched him, gave him a hug or all of the above. They looked like a pack of wolves. I stood there wide-eyed and realized that many people were giving stares. After they calmed down from their happy reunion, they all stared at me. My cheeks became flushed and I extended my hand to them.

“Annyeong haseyo. Sonia imnida,” I spoke as sweetly as I could, giving them an awkward smile.

They whipped their heads to give Jaehyo a cold stare.

“You didn't tell us you had a girlfriend?” a guy who was as tall as Jaehyo asked.

“Yeah, hyung! What is this? I thought we were brothers! You never hide anything from us,” he said pouting.

“No, she’s not his girlfriend. She could never be. She’s too pretty for him,” remarked a handsome guy with black hair. He smiled at me and eyed me up and down. I felt very self-conscious. “Min Hyuk imnida,” he spoke to me as he took my hand gently.

“Hi, I’m Ji Ho.”

“Tae Il imnida.”

“Yu Kwon,” said the pouty guy eyeing me suspiciously.

“Kyung imnida.”

“Ji Hoon. Nice to meet you,” said the guy who’s as almost as tall as Jaehyo.

“In case, you’re wondering, I’m not Jaehyo’s girlfriend. We just met on the plane.”

They all shook their heads in unison understandingly, except Yu Kwon, who seemed to still be suspicious.