Chapter 12

Charmed

There was a pause on the other side of the line.

“Oppa?”

“Huh? Yes! YES! Meet you outside in 20 minutes?”

“Neh, is there a dress code?”

“Wear anything that makes you feel comfortable.”

“Neh, annyung.”

“Annyung.”

When I disconnected the line, I ran to my closet and searched for something new to wear because my clothes were soaked from all the rushing. I washed up and reapplied my eyeliner and lip gloss. I examined myself in the huge mirror near the door again. This time, I wore a white dress that made me look angelic with my hair down in my natural curls. I wore gold sandals and waited for Jaehyo to arrive.

By the time he rang the doorbell, it was 8. I swung the door excitedly to reveal Jaehyo in a white top and jeans. He looked so handsome.

“Hey,” I said, smiling at him.

“Hey, you look beautiful.”

“Thank you. You look nice. So, where are we going?”

“You’ll see.”

I closed the door behind me, feeling excited. The place was about 20 minutes away but we decided to walk.

On the way there, we talked about simple stuff; our like and dislikes, our family and friends and basically general stuff.

I smiled at the place he brought me too. It was by the beach. It was windy and felt good. I loved the beach and he did too. We walked up the steps of Joe’s Fish & Grill. It was packed and it looked like we probably wouldn’t get a place to sit.

“Hi, I made a reservation earlier,” spoke Jaehyo sweetly to the lady.

“Name, please?”

“Jaehyo.”

“Yes, a table for two. This way, please.”

I was shocked. I didn't know you had to make reservations for places like these, not that I’m insulting anything or anyone.

The lady showed us to a table in the corner which has less people. It had a spectacular view of the beach and the carnival happening far away. The sound of the waves and the smell of the sea water made me feel calmer. Like a gentleman, Jaehyo pulled my chair for me and I sat. There was a red candle in the center of the wooden table, making the atmosphere more romantic. I soaked it all in. I looked across the small table at Jaehyo, who was amused by me.

“How’d you know I’d come?” I asked, longing to know the answer.

“I figured that it wouldn’t hurt trying even if you weren’t coming. But whatever it was, I had to be prepared.”

“Ah, neh.”

I was a bit awkward since this was my first date. Wait, was this a date? He didn’t actually say so. He said DINNER.  It could just be two friends having dinner. So, was it a date?

“Are we on a date?” I spoke too soon. I bit my tongue in horror, and cursed myself. I felt young and naive. What if he said this wasn’t a date and that I just misunderstood? Oh my gosh, I’m going to be embarrassed for life. I can’t face him anymore. I think I’m going to puke.

“I would like it to be. If it was, this will be a first,” replied Jaehyo shyly.

“I’d like that too. This is my first too.”

And then, we just smiled shyly to each other. We’re acting like a couple of 5-year-olds but I like it. I like this feeling.

“By the way, why did you take a long time to answer me just now on the phone? Was it bad timing?” I asked, curious.

“No, I was caught off guard when you called me oppa,” he blushed.

I giggled and his face seemed to melt at the sound of my laughter.

“Are you ready to order?” asked a waiter.

“Yes, I’ll have the grilled marinated shrimp and lime juice,” said Jaehyo.

“I’d like the grilled salmon and Iced Tea.”

***

After 15 minutes, dinner was served. The food was exquisite and fresh. It was really good. Jaehyo scooped up some of his pasta and brought it towards my mouth. I smiled and opened it, eating the food he served me. I took some of mine and fed it to him too.

“Oh, you have something here,” said Jaehyo, making a gesture to the mouth.

I felt embarrassed and immediately brought the napkin to my mouth, trying to wipe away the evidence of a messy eater.

I couldn’t get it off.

“I’ll get that for you.”

Jaehyo reached over the table and held my chin between his thumb and index finger and tried to wipe it off with his napkin. I stared at the handsome face as he concentrated on getting the smudge off the corner of my mouth.

“Done.”

He continued to look at him, unable to tear my gaze away from his face. He bit his lip and smiled childishly, running a hand through his hair.

“Sorry…I’m staring” I said while I blushed, beating myself up for the stupid things I’m doing.

By the time we were done with dinner, it was half past nine and we decided to head on home after getting ice-cream. Luckily, there was an ice-cream truck parked down the street. We rushed towards it, racing each other. He beat me to it and we were both breathless.

“Yes, what can I get for the lovely couple?” said a chubby man in an Italian accent.

We both stared at each other at the mention of ‘LOVELY COUPLE’ but chose not to say anything.

“2 banana splits, please.”

“No, oppa. I’m too full. I’ll share with you.”

“Okay, so one it is,” said the ice-cream man.

After paying the ice-cream man, Jaehyo and me walked and ate. He fed me the ice-cream and I jumped around like a hyper kid. Damn you, sugar! He found that cute. I was still hyper when I stood outside Jaehyo’s apartment.

“Would you like to come in? I make a mean Green tea,” said Jaehyo to me, grinning.