A TEST

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Shin Hye POV)

 

It’s been a week since I stayed in Okinawa with halmeoni after oppa went back to Busan. It’s a good thing he lets me stay longer here with halmeoni and I have more time to see my friends and on top of that, I can use this time to learn to be independent. I think for these past months I have been relying on Chang Wook oppa a lot. I realized he did most things for me. I am also using this time away from him to try and sort out my feelings but honestly speaking, I do miss him. Everyday. Thanks to the technology today, we have a video call every night and have our conversation as usual. Jae Wook seems like missing his appa too and he is looking forward for the video call.

 

I am meeting my friends for Sunday brunch and in the meantime, I take Jae Wook out for his morning strolls around the neighbourhood. We went to the nearby park where on Sundays many parents take their kids to play there in the morning. I push his stroller on the pavement. There are few more parents pushing strollers, some are jogging with their little ones and there are also adults who come there alone for morning jog. It’s a normal activities seen at the park on weekends.

 

After strolling for almost an hour, I take a seat on one of the benches and it’s about Jae Wook’s feeding time too. As I am feeding my son, I saw a family of three sitting underneath a shady tree not too far from my place. The couple in their 30s and their son is slightly older than Jae Wook. The father is lifting up his son and the little boy giggles as he is being lift up in the air. The wife who has that adoring look in her eyes. Looking at them reminds me of the time we spent with Chang Wook oppa two weeks ago.

 

(flashback)

 

The three of us is enjoying the cherry blossoms. We are lucky to get a nice shady spot under a tree. I place the picnic mat and put our picnic basket on and starts to arrange our prep food at a corner. Oppa already sitting down and had Jae Wook sitting on his lap. He holds the little hands of Jae Wook and guides him how to claps. Our son seems amaze by the new skills taught to him. He looks weird at first but later he gives a big smile enjoying it. Then, he lifts Jae Wook up high and the boy giggles. He just loves to be lifted. He can stops crying immediately if you lift him. My heart couldn’t stop to melt as I see the view. Having my two favourite boys enjoying themselves in my hometown is such a precious memory to be keep. I put some food on his plate and pour the coffee inside the mug for him. “Oppa, give him to me. You eat first.” When having a baby, we have to take turns doing things including eating. We can only can eat together when the baby is sleeping which is seldom to happen.

 

He passes Jae Wook to me and begin to eat. On the other hand, I begin to feed Jae Wook too. Then he takes a piece of kimbap and bring it to my mouth. “Have some.” He said.

 

“Gwenchana. I can eat later, you eat first.” I told him.

 

“You must be hungry too. Let me feed you and we can eat together.” He still not taking the kimbap away from me and I have no choice but to eat it. We ended up eating from one plate with him feeding me while I am feeding our baby. I know it is nothing much but I love how warm and thoughtful he is and my feelings for him deepens.

 

(flashback ends)

 

I look at Jae Wook in my arms who already in dreamland after full with milk. I put him inside his stroller so that he can have his nap. I then open my bag pack and take out the sketch book, pencil and some colour pencils. I open a blank page and begin to sketch those moments under the cherry blossoms tree. It has become like a habit that whenever I miss my husband, I will sketch the moments I have with him. I want to keep our memories together.

 

I smile looking at the end product of my sketch. The pinkish colour of cherry blossoms compliments the sweet memories we had last spring. Then I flipped through the sketchbook. It’s similar to my personal diary where instead of writing, I draw the important things or events I want to keep. My first ever sketch is of my husband’s on our wedding day. It’s the similar as the one I gave him for his birthday. I just love the way he looks at me that day. There’s some sort of assurance in him. Then, there’s a sketch of him giving Jae Wook a bath. The tenderness of him holding my baby, melts my maternal heart. There are few others inside the book and I smile as I see each one of them.

 

I check on the time and it’s 15 minutes past 10. I should get going as I promised to meet my friends at 11 am. I keep my sketchbook and the drawing utensils into my back pack. Then I pushed the stroller and start leaving the park. The cafe is not that far from the paRk but I want to walk in leisure hence I leave early. I always enjoy Sunday morning strolls. People are less hectic on weekends and you can greet those you know on the street and exchange a couple of words other than ‘hi’. This is the time where you can see most of your neighbours go out and walk with their kids or pets.

 

I walk down the familiar street where there are a lot of shops, cafes and restaurants. Then I passed by my favourite second hand bookshop. The place where I will buy a lot of books and comics at much cheaper price. I stop in front of the shop and my mind drifted to the day where I took him around the neighbourhood to show him my ‘history’.

 

(Flashback)

 

The smell of old and worn books are so uniquely addicting. It gives you the comfort of reading just by the smell of it. We are now inside the second hand bookshop that I always frequent when I was young. I am introducing Chang Wook oppa to my lifestyle before I moved to Seoul. The shop owner is shocked to learned that now I am married and have a child. I am looking for some fiction novels. Japanese has some good fiction novels especially on romance. As compared to Korean who is more conservative, Japanese is more open including in their literature.

 

“How cool that you can read Japanese. I always envy those who is good in foreign languages.” Chang Wook said as he pulls a few book on the shelf and look at its cover page unable to read what’s written on it.

 

“You are fluent in English and you look cool whenever you speak English. And I am sure many are envious of that.”

 

“I want you to teach me Japanese. At least the basic ones so that it will be easier later if we come here again I can say some basic words. You know to talk with taxi drivers, order foods and ask for directions.” he leans on the book shelf and look at me. Eversince he confessed his feelings, the way he gazes at me has change. He looks in my eyes deeper than before and it’s hard to avoid those loving gaze of his.

 

“Ok, I will teach you basic Japanese. I do plan to teach Jae Wook too maybe you can learn together with our baby.”

 

“Seems like a good plan.” he pinches my nose cutely. “What book are you reading.” he asks as he might notice I have been holding this one particular book and has been flipping through it.

 

I showed him the book though I know he might not be able to read it. “It’s by the popular novelist Murakami. This is the short story collection called Men Without Women. I heard it’s a good one. Can I get this one, oppa?”

 

“Sure. You can buy few more books. I’ll pay for it. Maybe we should get something for halmeoni to read too.” he suggested.

 

And for the remaining an hour we were in the bookshop we talk about books.

 

(Flashback Ends)

 

I found myself smiling again for no reason. I continue heading to the cafe which is a block away from the book store. It’s still early when I arrived and my friends are not there yet. While waiting, I decided to make a video call to my husband using the free Wi-Fi service at the cafe. The call goes through and he picks up on the third ringing.

 

“Yeoboseyo, oppa.”

 

“Good morning. Where are you at? It doesn’t seem like halmeoni’s house.”

 

“I am at a cafe. Waiting for my friends to have brunch together later. Are you busy, oppa?”

 

“No.. I have nothing to do today actually. I went for a jog this morning and I just had breakfast with ahjumma. Now I am just resting. The house seems so quiet without the two of you. I miss you both.”

 

“We missed you too. Jae Wook is having his nap.” I move the phone towards Jae Wook to show him the baby is sleeping before brings back the phone in front of me.

 

“I miss our little muchkin. Is it hard to look after him alone?”

 

I shake my head. “Jae Wook is such an easy baby. He only cries if he is hungry, sleepy or unwell. He takes that after you.”

 

“How do you know I am such an easy baby?”

 

“Eomonim told me. She said taking care of you is the easiest as you do not have much tantrums and very obedient. I can see that Jae Wook will behave like you.”

 

He chuckles on the other line hearing me said that. “Do you know I am quite stubborn too? Let’s hope our boy did not take that after me.

 

“Ani..I really want him to be like you when he grows up. Someone reliable.”

 

“He will turn out better than me because he has a loving mother. That’s you.” he knows how to make my heart flutters.

 

As we are talking, I see one of my friend walking towards the cafe. Oppa, my friend is coming. Let’s talk again later tonight. Bye.”

 

“Bye. Miss you. Love you.”

 

“Miss you too.”

 

(End of Shin Hye POV)

 

Her friend Kumiko who just arrived waves to her the moment she sees her. She wave back at her and they hugged as soon as she arrived at the table.

 

“It’s been a long time. How are you?” she asked her dear friend Kumiko Hasegawa. She is the first friend she met the moment I move down here.

 

“I am good. It’s been more than 2 years since you last came back right. Can’t believe now you are a married woman and a mom. Is that your baby?” she points to the stroller next to Shin Hye.

 

She nods. “He is taking his nap. He will wake up soon I guess.” Kumiko take a seat next to Shin Hye. They are waiting for another two of our friends Kiko and Akane. The four of them are so close. They are classmates and our house are close to each other’s so we always being seen together.

 

“I heard from Akane and Kiko that your husband is so good looking. Next time bring him to meet with me.” When she brought her husband to meet her friends last time, Kumiko was in Tokyo for business trip so she is the only one who wasn’t there.

 

“Ok, next time he comes I will tell you in advance. So how’s life? I heard your work is doing great.” Shin Hye find out that Kumiko works for a big Japanese corporation. She is based for Okinawa branch.

 

“Work is good but tiring. I think that is the price you have to pay working for an established company. Other than me busy with work, nothing is interesting. What about you? Tell me how is it to be a wife and a mother? Can’t believe you are a mother, now. Your life must be great, right? Having a cute son and a loving husband. How I wish I have someone who loves me right now. Life is boring when you are single.” Kumiko sighs as she envies Shin Hye’s life now.

 

“Don’t say that. Your time will come. Just enjoy your young single life now. It is the best time to be carefree and do whatever you want.” Among the four of us, Kumiko is the one who never get into a relationship. She is single still our teenage years. It’s not because she isn’t pretty but she is the smart girl who always study and scored in class. She is the cleverest girl in the school somehow makes guys a bit intimidated to get close to her. As both of us are busy updating about our lives, Akane and Kiko arrived. They only realized Akane and Kiko presence when they are already at the table.

 

“We were waving for you both from outside but none of you two noticed us.” said the tall pretty lady. She is Kiko Kimura, one of the most famous former teen ullzang girl in Okinawa because of her looks. Kiko now is studying law in her final year.

 

“Sorry, you know when we started to talk there could be no end.” I hug them both welcoming them. “Go and placed your order first, we had ordered ours.” Both of them nods and straight away got to the counter to place the orders.

“It has been a while the four of us hasn’t gather like this. When was the last time? Was it last year or two years ago?” Akane asked.

 

“I think it’s close to two years. The last time four of us met is when I came back from Seoul last two years.”

 

“And so many changes in two years. Now you are a married woman and a mother. But what surprises me more is your husband is not the same boyfriend you always told us about.” she continues.

 

“Since all of us here, why don’t you tell us Shin Hye, how you met your husband and get married in short while.” Kumiko begins to find a topic. They knew that Shin Hye has another boyfriend before but they never know how does he looks like as Shin Hye never showed him his pictures or bring him to Okinawa. All they know is she called him Mino. Shin Hye is quite a secretive person so when she never showed them her boyfriend’s photo they never asked for it. That is the reason why they are shocked when she came back with a husband and a baby and the man is not the man they heard before.

 

“Ok, Ok… since I already bring him back here and introduced him to you, you guys deserved to know more about him. Well, something happened between me and my ex-boyfriend. He left me without words. And, when I was in my lowest point of life, I met him. My husband. He saved me and slowly brings me back to life when I think my world had crumbles down. He is my saviour. My light. My hope.” her three friends gives full concentration listening to her story waiting for her to continue. “Then, something happened between us by accident and we conceived our baby. I have no intention to marry him at first because I am afraid he is my rebound guy. I try to push him away.”

 

“Then what change your mind?” Kumiko asked.

 

“After giving some thoughts on my child’s future, I accepted his proposal. Hence I got married when I was already 5 months pregnant. But, the main reason I accepted him is because his sincerity. He never once running away knowing that I was pregnant. He was there supporting me with whatever decision I made.”

 

 

“Who do you love more? Your ex-boyfriend who you have been for years or your husband.” Kumiko asked bluntly which makes Akane and Kiko glare at her. They have been friends for years sometimes they just bulldozed questions without filtering.

 

Shin Hye just smiles and not taking her question seriously. “He loves me. My husband loves me.”

 

“Aww…. She is very lucky you know. Her husband loves her so much. If you met him that day, you can see how much he loves her. The way he looks at her makes you as the witness holding your breath. Not to mention he is crazily handsome too.” Kiko telling Kumiko about her experience meeting Chang Wook and the later just makes a sad face as she is the only one who hasn’t meet him yet.

 

“Can I see his picture? Please…” Kumiko pleading to Shin Hye as she feels left out as the only person who hasn’t met Chang Wook yet. Shin Hye just laugh and browse her phone’s gallery to find his photos. To her surprise, there are quite many photos of him. She showed to him the recent photos during Jae Wook’s 100th day celebration and Kumiko couldn’t stop praising how good looking he is.

 

“You are indeed lucky my friend. I wouldn’t mind to marry early if a handsome man like this proposed. I also heard that your husband is very popular like a celebrity as he is the what, ‘South Korea Most Eligible Bachelor? Is it right?”

 

Shin Hye nods silly. “Everyone said he is a popular guy but believe it or not, I didn’t know about it. I only knew that he is like a celebrity after we got married. You know me, I am not good in keeping up to date with current news or trends. Furthermore, I was too busy with university life that I don’t bother about this kind of stuffs.

 

“You need to stop being ignorant my friend. Now you need know about current news as you are married to a heartthrob. If I am at your place, I would be worrying on those eyes who envied me as I am married to the most wanted guy.”  Kumiko giving a friendly advice.

 

Akane and Kiko look at her with judging eyes “That is because you are a jealous person Shin Hye is not like that. If you have met her husband, you will know she is save. He is head over heels on her.”

 

Shin Hye just laugh looking at her friends’ reaction. “Enough about me, now tell me about yourselves. What’s new. I need to know about you girls too. New boyfriends any of you?” Shin Hye is excited to know what changes happen to her friends.

 

The three of them sighs almost at the same time. “Too bad dear, we are still with the same boy that you already knew who and our high flyer friend here is still single and available.” Akane speaks on behalf. “Oh by the way have you heard about our senior Yuichiro san? You know the basketball captain one year our senior?”

 

The other three girls try to recall and finally nods. “What about him?” Kiko asked.

 

“Well I heard he just found out that he has a child with his ex-girlfriend which he never knew about. And now, the girl has married someone else and the child is registered to her husband’s name.”

 

“Really? How come he never knew about it? Doesn’t he realize the changes on his girlfriend when she was pregnant?” Kumiko asked.

 

“The girl is from Kagoshima. It seems like they met during summer camp and that thing happen during that short time they are together as well. After the camp, they only continue with long distance relationship until the girl asked for a breakup. After that, they never meet again not until recently.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“From what my brother told me, they accidentally met at Fukuoka. Yuiichiro went there for a trip and the girl has moved there. He was shocked to find that child calling her mom. The child was about 6 years old. When he back calculates the child was born during their high school years.” Akane continues.

 

“What make he is so sure that baby is his?” Shin Hye who is silent for a while asked. Her friends might not notice but she asked in a curious but worry tone as the case is similar to hers.

 

“That boy is a carbon copy of him and I don’t know how he manage to get a strand if his hair unnoticed and get a DNA checked. Since the ex-girlfriend and her husband is a regular customer at the saloon he went, somehow Yuiichiro senpai managed to get her contact number. When he called her and ask to meet, she revealed the whole truth to him. She did conceive the boy during that summer camp and the reason she asked for a break up when she find out she was pregnant. She wanted to have an abortion at first but change her mind. Then her parents decided to marry her off with their family friend’s son. The guy is 15 years older than her and agree to be responsible. So they got married and the boy is registered under his family.”

 

“So what happened now?” its Kumiko’s turn to ask.

 

“It’s kind of complicated. Yuiichiro senpai is mad of course that he never knew about his son for 6 years. He selt that his chance ro be a father was ripped away from him. He feels that other man has steal his son from him. He blamed the ex-girlfriend for keeping him in the dark. But, when the lady asked him one simple question he can’t answer it. Do you know what she asked?” Akane look at her friends and they shake their heads. “She said, if she told him she was pregnant before will he be responsible and raised the baby together with her. He can’t answer that. After given some thoughts, he realized this is a battle he can never wins. So, he changed his mind and do not want to fight for custody. Because he knew that before or currently he did not fit to be a parent. The child is better growing up with that man rather than him. He has steady job and he provided a good life for them. I pity Yuiichiro senpai and I think somehow the lady is a bit selfish, isn’t she?” Akane throw an unexpected question.

 

Shin Hye doesn’t know why but she suddenly felt like being slapped hearing to Akane’s story. She is similar to the ‘Ex-Girlfriend’ and Yuiichiro is situation is same like Min Ho. “Well, I do understand the lady. As a mother, she definitely need to decide what is best for her child. Sometimes, what she wants is not exactly what is best for the kid. She may sound selfish to us but trust me, she did not do that for herself. Put ourselves in her place. How scared she must be when she found out she was pregnant at a young age and the baby’s father is far away and young as well. She knew back then that the two of them did not fit to be parents at such a young age. So when there is someone to help and can provide her and her child a better life, it is such an opportunity not to be missed.”

 

“Even so, shouldn’t she told Yuiichiro senpai before and told him about the baby. She loved him right?” Kiko believes in true love so it is not a surprise she is asking a naïve question like that.

 

“When there is a child well-being you need to think about, love alone is not enough. I know there is a saying money can’t buy everything but trust me, being financially stable is important in raising a child.” Shin Hye sounds so matured as compared to her friends now. Life experience make her grow up and she knows how harsh the reality is that you cannot survive just with love.

“I agree with you Shin Hye, definitely love alone did not guarantee you can raise a family. We know how many couples getting a divorce because financial problem. But, I still feel that she should told him earlier when she got pregnant. Senpai should not be left in the dark. So, what happened to Yuiichiro senpai and ex-girlfriend?”

 

“I heard that they stay in contact for the sake of the boy. Yuiichiro senpai is allowed to visit whenever he wants but nothing will change. The boy will still be her husband’s son and only knew Yuiichiro senpai as an uncle. They said they will tell him the truth when he is old enough to understand.”  

 

“Adulting is really hard. Sometimes I regret we grow up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter