My Special Baby

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another month has passed, ChangWook and ShinHye is getting closer and closer each day. Every morning ShinHye will prepare breakfast for him. They will have their breakfast together before they go for college and work respectively. ChangWook will send ShinHye to her college before going to the hospital. Then in the evening, he will pick her up and they will have dinner at home that is prepared by ahjumma or they will just go out to dine. For lunch, most of the time Shinhye will have it with SungKyung and ChangWook will have it in the hospital. But once in a while when he is not busy, he will have lunch date together with ShinHye.

 

On weekends normally they will go to the park or beach and sometimes they will just go to the malls for shopping and movies. In a glance, they look like a normal expecting couple. No one will know that they sleeps in separate room still.

 

ShinHye’s pregnancy is entering the sixth month and on next check up they will get to know the gender of the baby. The baby is still shy on the previous check up that they can’t tell for sure whether it’s a boy or a girl and ShinHye hope she get to know in next check up so that she can do baby clothes shopping.

 

On the other hand, ChangWook is getting excited. He already surveying baby’s crib and other furniture for the nursery. He also enrolled ShinHye for pre natal classes to prepare her for childbirth since this is her first time such classes is important and will help the inexperienced parents.

 

“Good morning ShinHye.” he said as he enters the dining area. As usual ShinHye will be busy in the morning to prepare breakfast for them. Ahjumma is allowed to help a little if she’s really busy or late but most of the time, ShinHye insist to cook herself for breakfast. ChangWook is getting used having breakfast at home now that he feels something is off if he goes to work without breakfast.

 

“Good morning oppa. Have a seat. The fish is almost ready.” she said and continue grilling the mackerel they bought yesterday.

 

ChangWook sit at the dining table and the table is already set. There are rice, seaweed soup, banchan and the grilled mackerel is on the way. “Wow it looks delicious. You really spoilt me ShinHye. Now I have become a man who needs to take his breakfast.”

“Breakfast is the important meal of the day, right? So you need to have hearty meals to have a productive day.” she said as she puts the grilled fish on the table and sit next to him.

 

“Aigoo, my wife has become good at nutrition stuffs.” he ruffles ShinHye’s hair. They are like best friends now that they do subtle skinship towards each other. Sometimes they do look like siblings but those around them are happy to see the changes in their relationship especially ahjumma. They are not awkward like before.

 

“What time is your doctor’s check up today ShinHye ya?” ahjumma ask. She knew ShinHye will be having her monthly check up today and as usual, ChangWook will accompany her and go to the hospital slightly late on her check up day.

 

“10 am. I hope I will know the gender today.” ShinHye said in hopeful.

 

“How months already are you dear?”

 

“I’m sixth months today. Time flies right ahjumma? Can’t wait to meet my baby.”

 

“Everyone is excited too. You, me, ChangWook. It’s been a while I did not take care of a baby. The last one is Yoo Jung. Aigoo, this house must be cheerful once the baby is here. I can already imagine the chaos. The cries, the laughter, the excitement.”

 

ShinHye smiles looking at how excited ahjumma is. Her mother in law and halmeoni are the other persons who can’t wait to meet the baby. Everytime Kim SungRyung calls her daughter in law, the first question she will ask is whether they already the gender. She can’t wait to do baby clothes shopping.

 

ChangWook notices that the baby kicks actively in the morning. He can see the little bump creates by the one inside from Shinhye’s rounded belly. He will caress it once in a while. Though ShinHye is ok if he wants to caress her belly but ChangWook still asks for permission each time because he thinks it’s inappropriate to touch a woman without their permission.

 

ShinHye notices that ChangWook trying to touch the baby so she takes his hand and put it on her. “Say your morning greetings, Sunshine.”

 

Ahjumma who witness how is their interaction every morning wishes that their marriage is not temporary and one day they will be together for real. Not just because of the baby. But this is already a good start for them. It’s not easy to start over but ahjumma knew one day they’ll realized what they shared right now is a blessing.

 

 

 

Lee MinJung checks ShinHye’s health record. Everything looks fine and normal for her. “Everything looks normal just that your sugar level is quite high today as compared to last month. Just watch what you eat, I/m afraid you will be diabetic. Your blood pressure is normal which is good. Just that your weight increased quite drastically. You have gained almost 5 kg since last month.” MinJung shows the record file to ShinHye and she is shocked when she saw that now she weighs 57kgs. She never thought that she will weigh more than 55kg because she is always between 47-48kgs normally.

 

“Am I too heavy, Dr? My appetite is so big lately. I crave everything.” ShinHye asks MinJung innocently.

 

“Not really. But you need to control a bit because normally when entering third trimester, you will gain a lot of weight. You can eat whatever you are craving, just watch out the portion. Ok??”

 

ShinHye nods to show that she understands what MinJung told her.

 

“ChangWook ah, you are a doctor too so I hope you can try to watch out her portion while eating.” MinJung reminds him. He knows that when it comes to ShinHye ChangWooks did not put on his doctor mask. He totally behaving like any expectant father who willingly fulfill their wive’s cravings. “So are you ready to find out your baby is a boy or a girl?”

 

ShinHye nods excitedly. She made a bet with ChangWook and whoever loose will need to prepare breakfast for two weeks straight. He wants a daughter but she wants a son. ShinHye lie down on the examination bed and she lift her shirt up revealing her bare belly. The nurse put the cold gel onto her tummy and Dr Lee MinJung puts the transducer and rub the gel evenly onto her stomach surface. The heart beat of the baby can be heard and both of them look at the monitor.

 

Lee MinJung check the hearbeat and it seems normal. Then she check on the other features of the fetus. The arms, the legs, fingers, head etc. She notice an abnormalities at the back of the baby’s neck. She scan that area few times to reconfirm what she saw. She take a quick glance at ChangWook and he too seems to notice it. Not to alarm ShinHye, she quickly scan towards the area of the fetus to know the gender. She turns to them and ChangWook already smiling. “It’s a boy ShinHye. You going to have a son.”

 

ShinHye cries as she was told that the she is going to have a boy. Honestly she doesn’t really care if it’s a boy or a girl. All she wants is the baby to be healthy. “I won. You need to make breakfast for two weeks, oppa.”

 

ChangWook smiles at her, “Arasso. I will do it for a month. How’s that?”

 

The nurse wipe the gel clean and help her to sit up. Then ChangWook help her to come down from the bed and she sit back at the chair in front Min Jung.

 

“Everything looks ok but I found something rare that may need further test. You can do the test here or you can do it at ChangWook’s hospital. If you want to do it here, I can schedule you another appointment tomorrow.

 

“What kind of further test? Is there something wrong with my baby?” ShinHye starts to sound worried.

 

“We have to do the test to confirm it. For now, we can’t tell anything. Don’t worry too much ok? I schedule you for 3pm tomorrow.” Dr Lee Min Jung write something on her file and give a paper to the nurse to prepare her medicines and vitamins.

 

 

After taking the medicine and vitamins, ChangWook send her to the college before he goes to the hospital. On the way to the hospital, he got a message from MinJung.

 

From : Min Jung Noona

‘You notice it right? I’m afraid the result will be positive.’

 

From : ChangWook

‘I know. I am afraid it’s positive too. I don’t know how to tell her if it’s true.’

 

From : Min Jung Noona

‘If what we afraid of really happens, stay strong for her. Never leave her side. She will need the support system.’

 

From : ChangWook

‘Don’t worry, Noona. I will never leave her side. Gosh, I feel nervous.’

 

From : Min Jung Noona

‘Don’t worry too much but just be prepared for the worst.’

 

The last message from Min Jung really leave a big impact on him. She is right that he needs to prepare for the worst and be strong for ShinHye if what they afraid of is true.

 

 

 

The next day, Shinhye came for the scheduled appointment at 3pm accompanied by ChangWook. She was told by ChangWook that the test she is going to take is called Amniocentesis.

 

Lee Min Jung find it hard to explain to the expecting parents if something bad might happen to their babies. But as a medical practitioner she needs to be professional and not hiding anything to the patient.

 

“ShinHye ya…. actually yesterday during the scan, I found that there is some abnormalities on the fetus. I found that at the back of his neck there’s some possible excessive fluids. Hence I wanted to do further test on it. So we are going to do amniocentesis on you. Basically, we going to extract 1 ounce of your amniotic fluid and send it to lab for further analysis. Don’t worry, it will be a simple and safe procedure. It won’t cause any harm to you or your baby.” Min Jung explains to her in the simplest way possible.

 

“What are you going to test from the amniotic fluid?” ShinHye starts to feel uneasy by looking at both Min Jung and ChangWook’s expression.

 

“Basically, amniocentesis is to test if there is any birth defect or chromosomal abnormality.”

 

“What kind of birth defect and abnormality. Please tells me in simple words. Oppa, you knew what she means right?”

 

“Hmmmmmm…….one of the example is Down Syndrome. But it could means something else. That is why we need the test to confirm it.” Lee Min Jung explains. It’s hard for her to utter the words but the mother needs to know.

 

ShinHye was so shocked upon hearing it. She grabbed onto ChangWook’s hand tight as she is afraid. She is speechless for few minutes before she said something.

 

“Let’s do the test. Let’s hope that it is not happening.” she said in solemn hoping that the result will be somehow negative.

 

ShinHye lie down on the examination bed and the nurse helps to prep her. She never let go of her husband’s hand and ChangWook keep soothing her.

 

After everything is done, Dr Lee Min Jung scan her belly first to get the best position to extract the fluid. Then, she inserted a fine needle through a syringe and ext

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter