Our Son

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(SHINHYE POV)

 

Today is my last presentation day before my semester break. My pregnancy just turns 37th weeks yesterday. My baby is growing bigger and bigger every day and so do I. It’s getting harder for me to move now as my feet are completely swollen. Chang Wook Oppa is worried to let me go to the college as I had false alarm twice last week but I insists as I only left with this final presentation than I can take a break and wait for my baby to come out next month. Since I will be skipping next semester I really need to secure good grades for this semester subjects.

 

“Are you sure you are ok to go to class?” He asked me this morning. He looks reluctant to let me go.

 

I nod. “It’s my last presentation for my last paper this semester. After this I can have my break. I have prepared for this for a long time and I need to conclude it, Oppa.”

 

“Ok. But let Yoo Jung accompany you to class. You know just in case you need help.”

 

I laughed at his overly concerned attitude. After knowing him for almost 8 months I noticed he easily concerned about people and he couldn’t hide his caring nature. “I will be ok. Don’t worry too much.” I assured him.

 

“Ok, if you said so. But let me send you until your lecture hall.”

 

“Arasso. I need your help by the way because I have many stuffs to bring as part of my presentation.” I showed him the stuffs I need to bring for my final presentation and he help to get it for me.

 

As discussed he send me directly to my lecture hall this morning. The presentation starts at 10 but since he need to be at the hospital by 9.30, I am already here since 9. There’s still 45 minutes left to 10 so I started to review my presentation slides. As I was going through my slides, I feel discomfort at lower part of my body. I thought it might be because of the seat in the lecture hall is not comfortable for me to sit with my big belly. I keep rubbing my back to ease the discomforts. Then I started to feel squeezing pain at my lower abdomen which I assumed is Braxton hicks. As I had false alarm last week, I think this time it is the same too so I just ignore it and continue what I am doing but the pain keeps coming every 20-30 minutes. ‘Oh No, could it be contractions?’ I said to myself. Since I already read and ask Chang Wook Oppa about birth process, I know that it will take hours especially for first baby. Because of that, I remain calm and continue preparing for my presentation while timing my contractions.

 

There are 4 of us taking the class and I will be the last one to present based on the sequence. My contractions continue and its getting closer as I was waiting for my turn. I choose not to tell my husband as I don’t want to alarm him. I will go myself to the hospital after this. I try to focus on my work to distract me from the pain though sometimes is hard coz the pain is getting intense too. Unlike last week, this cramps feels stronger and last longer and I am quite certain it is real contractions this time.

 

My turn come up and I walk to the front slowly with my stuffs and begin my presentation when I’m ready. I proceed with my presentation. As I was presenting, a strong contraction hits me that makes me take a brief stop for a while. The strongest and longest contraction so far. I hold on to my tummy and massage it gently until the pain subsided. I continue to my presentation and try to ignore the pain for a while but the contractions keep coming and its getting closer like every 10-15 minutes apart. I am sweating so much from enduring the pain and not get distracted by it.

 

“Mrs Park, are you ok?” One of the lecturer ask me and I nod. I just continue my presentation until end and doing my best to answer all the questions. The lecturers seem please with my work.

 

Right after I finish the session, a very strong contraction hits me that makes me groan unconsciously and I hold my tummy. “Awwww!!!”

 

“Park ShinHye-ssi. Gwenchana?” Another lecturer asks while coming to my aide. My best friend Lee Sung Kyung came to my side too. I look at them and shook my head. “I am in labor. The baby is coming.”

 

The whole lecture hall is in panic. They were thinking of what to do. One of them shout to ask someone to call the ambulance.

 

“No need ambulance. Just help me call my husband.”

 

The lecturer nods. “Anyone knows her husband’s number?”

 

Sung Kyung quickly take my phone and unlock it. She quickly searches for his number from my recent call log and press the caller Id Dr Ji Chang Wook (OPPA).

 

“It’s getting into voice mail.” Sung Kyung said.

 

“Maybe he is with his patients. Help to send me to the hospital.”

 

Sung Kyung nods and she grabs my stuffs while 2 of the lecturers helps me to walk. We get into Sung Kyung’s car and one of the lady lecturer, Prof Kwon follows us. She sits with me at the back and helps me with breathing technique while Sung Kyung drives.

 

“Breathe Shin Hye. Breathe.” She guides me to breathe. Though I have learned in the pre-natal class before but when the real pain occurs, you can’t focus on the breathing.

 

“I just turn 37 weeks. Isn’t it too early for the baby to be born?”

 

“Some baby born slightly early. Don’t worry, your baby is full term already. My son is born at 37 weeks and he is born just fine.” Prof Kwon giving some words of encouragement not to worry me.

 

Luckily the hospital isn’t that far and we manage to arrive within 10 minutes. We drive to the emergency and when the staffs saw that I am in labor they send me straight to the maternity ward. They help me to change and settle in the ward. They strap in some sensor to check in my contraction and also they check on my baby heartbeat. The nurse said my baby’s heartbeat is fine.

 

Then a woman in her 50s came and introduced herself. “Mrs Park Shin Hye, I am Nurse Kim. The head of midwife here. Let me check your dilation first.” She said as she pushes open my legs and inserted few of her fingers. You are 3cm dilated.

 

“Sung Kyung ah, do you manage to call my husband?” I asked my best friend.

 

“Oh, Dr Ji is in the operation theater. He is performing caesarean section. I already page him and I think he will come here soon.

 

(End of Shin Hye POV)

 

 

 

 

Ji Chang Wook is in the operation theater performing Caesarean section when he got an intercom page for him. He asks one of the nurse to pick up for him.

 

“Dr Ji, your wife has just been admitted. She’s in labor.” The nurse said.

 

“What? It’s a bit early. Ok, tell the head midwife Nurse Kim to take care of her while I finish this. I’ll come right after. By the way who is the Ob-Gyn on call today?”

 

“I think it’s Dr Park Bo Young.” The nurse replied.

 

“Ok, can you page her and ask her to cover me for all my appointments? I need to be with my wife.” he asked the nurse and continue to operate his patient and deliver her baby. Coincidentally he has no other C-section to perform or any other schedule delivery to attend after so he can tend to Shin Hye. “The baby is coming. Congratulations Mr. Lee and Mrs. Song, it’s a beautiful baby girl.” He lifts the baby a bit to show to the parents.

 

“Thank you, Dr Ji.” They thank him for safely deliver their baby who already distressed inside and inhaling the meconium stool which can be fatal for the baby.

 

“It’s my duty. You want to cut the cord Mr. Lee?” He gives the scissors to the new father and show him where to cut it. Then he brings the baby to the mother and put the newborn on her mother’s chest. “Say hi to your mommy, baby.” He can see the tears in their eyes when they first interact with their newborn. Moments like this always touched him though he had witness it countless time. He then continues to stitch back the mother after taking out the placenta and once he is done he ask the nurses to clean up and ensure the post op procedure.

 

“I need to go to my wife. Make sure everything is smooth here.” He said to his nurses.

 

“Dr Ji.” Calls one of his nurse.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Good luck. I hope you can meet your baby today.”

 

He smiles to the sincere wish of his staffs. “Thank You.”

 

He quickly scrubs off and rush to Shin Hye’s ward. When he enters Shin Hye is lying on the bed coping with contractions. Sung Kyung is helping by wiping it with cloth.

 

Sung Kyung greets him when she sees him coming. Shin Hye asks her to stay, but she already promised to meet up with her mother and have dinner later. She stayed back for a while for waiting for Chang Wook to be done with his duty. She said her sorry and dismissed herself politely when Chang Wook has arrived.

 

“Sorry I’m late. I was in the OR just now. How long have it started?” He asked while caressing Shin Hye’s head softly. She is sweating too much.

 

“Not long after you drop me off this morning. Around 9.30 maybe?” She responded weakly.

 

“Why don’t you call me earlier? I could have turn around and pick you up.” he asked softly

 

“I thought it’s only Braxton Hicks and besides I want to finish the presentation since I already prepared for it. I’m sorry.”

 

He let go his worried look and smile at her. She must be more terrified than him. “It’s not your fault. My wife is really hardworking and tough.” He couldn’t believe that she manages to endure the pain while performing her work. He is proud of her.

 

He looks as his watch, “It’s close to 4 hours. How is her dilation Nurse Kim?” He asked while checking on Shin Hye’s tummy to check the baby’s position. He then checks the contraction graph to see how long is the contractions and gap between one contraction to another.

 

“3cm.” Nurse Kim replied and brief him few more information in medical jargons.

 

“The baby looks good and the heartbeat is ok too. It’s going to take some time but no worries, I will be here.” He said and help Shin Hye to sit upright to be more comfortable. Another contraction came and she grab Chang Wook hand. She squeezed it hard to bear the pain. Chang Wook rub her back hoping that at least it can ease her pain.

 

“Have you had your lunch?” He asked to which Shin Hye shook her head. “Let me get something for you to eat.”

 

“I don’t feel like eating.” She replied.

 

“No, you have to eat to gain energy to push later. Besides it’s going to take some time. If you starve yourself, you can’t push.” By listening to his advice, Shin Hye agreed to eat.

 

He went down and get sandwiches, fruits, crackers, juices and water. Being an ob-gyn doctor, he knew that it will take at least 6 hours before his wife in pushing state. Since this is her first time giving birth, it will take a while for her to fully dilated. After he buy all the food, he ensures Shin Hye eat some but regularly not to keep her stomach empty. He also asks Shin Hye to take a nap in between contractions so that she will not be too tired.

 

(6 hours later).

 

Shin Hye moans in pain as another contraction hits her. Sweats can be seen on her forehead though the ward is air conditioned. Ahjumma help to put wet towel on her forehead and massage her back.

 

Meanwhile, Chang Wook put on a rubber glove and examine her dilation. “It’s 3cm still.” Shin Hye is shy to let him check her at first but she knows he is being her doctor and he needs to check on her.

 

“What? Still 3 cm? After this long?” Shin Hye does sound a bit frustrated knowing that she didn’t make much progress than hours before.

 

“This is consider ok and normal as this is your first time. Some woman progress slower than this.” Chang Wook try to make her feel positive.

 

“Do you want to get epidural?” Epidural will numb the lower part of the body, so the mother will not feel the pain of contractions.

 

“Is it safe? Will there be any side effects?” Shin Hye sounds worried. She read that epidural can have side effects.

 

“It’s quite safe if it is administered under supervision, just that you can’t know when is the time you push later as you already numb below.”

 

“I still can handle it for now.” she refused to get it as she wants to do it naturally. She read the best way for your body not to have side effect is to have a drug free birth,

 

“Ok. Let’s take a walk. It can help to progress the contraction faster.” He suggests and she agrees. Chang Wook hold and supports her and take her for a stroll in the hospital. When the contractions come Shin Hye will stop for a while before continue walking. Chang Wook guide her to breathe to ease with the contractions. She felt relieve Chang Wook is at her side in times like this.

 

(Another 6 hours)

 

“Awwwww....it’s painful. Help me Oppa.” Shin Hye cries in pain as another wave of contraction hits her. She has been in labor for almost 18 hours and the contractions are getting stronger and more frequent.

 

Chang Wook massage her back as the contractions hits her and guide her to breathe. “Just breathe. Slowly. Breathe in and out”

 

Wook then check on her dilation but it doesn’t make much progress. She’s only at 4cm even though they have done some light exercises. He monitors the baby heartbeat and it is still normal. He will wait for few more hours to see how the progress. If the baby is in distress, probably she needs to undergo C-section.

 

 

 

 

(ShinHye POV)

 

More than 18 hours has passed since I being in labor and the pain is getting unbearable. My contractions are getting stronger and stronger and it is so close apart. I can no longer walk around as the pain keeps hitting me. I feel like giving up. Chang Wook oppa has been checking on my dilation every hour but from the look on his face, I know something is not good.

 

“Oppa, is everything ok? Is the baby ok?” I ask him when I look he is reading on my chart thoroughly while looking at the monitor.

 

He quickly smiles when he looks at me. “The baby is fine. His heartbeat is normal. It’s just that you didn’t dilate as normal.”

 

“What does that mean?” I really couldn’t understand what he is saying. If my baby is fine why he looks worried?

 

“With your contractions rate now, you are already in a transition phase of birth and supposed to be dilated more than 7cm. But you are only at 4cm. I’m just afraid if it’s too slow, your baby will get distressed.” He explains to me in a calm manner. Since this is his daily job, he already knows what should be taken care of if things happen not according to plan and I have a full trust in him.

 

“What if the baby got distressed later?” I need to know what is the worst case scenario that could happen as I need to prepare for it.

 

“You may need to undergo caesarean operation. Don’t worry, things going to be ok. I will make sure both of you are save.” he holds onto my hand to ensure me that nothing bad will happen. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but I am glad I married to an ob-gyn doctor. I know I am at good hands.

 

I grip on his hand as I am nervous of what may come. I love his big hands. I feel safe holding onto it. “Oppa, can I hug you, please.” I really need him to hug me, badly and he instantly pull me into his embrace. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he puts his on my waist and I swayed my body whenever contractions come. When the contractions are too strong, I will lay my head on his chest. This is the closest skinship I had with him since we got married.

 

“Oppa, it hurts so much. I can’t take it anymore.” I cried in his arms. 3 more hours had passed and my contractions escalates super-fast. It’s become too close till I could not even be relax. I have been crying because of the unbeaten pain. I want this to end quickly. I can’t even lie down on my back as the pressure on my lower body is too much. Ahjumma starts to get worried too seeing me in that condition. I didn’t care of the people around me, I cried and I scream out when the contractions hits if I could not handle it.

 

Chang Wook oppa put on his rubber glove and check on my dilation. As expected it didn’t progress. He checks on the baby’s monitor and I heard him talking with his team and ask for the anaesthesiologist to be paged.

 

He holds my hand to calm me down and he bend down to tell me something. I can sense something that’s not really good. “Shin Hye ya, your baby is distressed and we need to do the caesarean section in order to save him. But don’t worry, it’s going to be fine.”

 

I hold onto his hand tight. I don’t want to let it go. I got nervous as I hear the word caesarean because it’s not in my plan. “Will he going to be ok?” that’s my only worry. My baby.

 

“He is going to be fine.” he assures me before releasing my hand grip from him.

 

“Oppa, where are you going?” I ask in solemn and catch his hand.

 

“To get ready and prep you for operation.” he said as he gently pats my hand.

 

I pull his hand and hold him tighter. “Please don’t go. Please stay by my side. I’m afraid. Don’t go anywhere. Please. Jaebal.” I cry hard as I pleaded him. I know I cannot do this alone. I need him to hold on to me as I go through it. I am so afraid.

 

He caresses my head gently before nodding. “Arasso. I’ll stay by your side. I won’t go anywhere.” He bends down and give a soft peck on top of my head. “Can you page Dr Park Bo Young please and tell her an emergency C-section is on the way.” He directed one of his nurses.

 

The other nurses then push my bed to the operation theatre (OT). He has been holding my hand and never let it go. He also keeps caressing the back of my head and saying positive words to me to help me relax.

 

In the OR, the anesthesiologist has been waiting. She then asks me to roll on my side to put in the anesthesia. Chang Wook oppa help to roll me, then I can feel the needle being poke on my backbone. Then i feel numb on the lower part of my body.

 

They lie me back on the bed before putting a board just below my chest, to cover my view. My hands are straighten horizontally same as my shoulder level. Chang Wook oppa is sitting next to me near my head. Though my body is numb but I can feel I am shaking. He never let go of my hand. He caresses and wipe on my sweating head with a towel. “Relax. Everything going to be done soon. You going to meet your little boy.” he keeps on giving me words of encouragement.

 

A lady doctor than come in already in scrub suit. She read on my chart and Chang Wook oppa explains to her in lengthy explanation full with medical jargons. She nods and getting ready. “Scalpel please.” I heard she asked the nurse. She lowers down her head and I can tell she has start to open me up. I heard her asking for more tools.

 

“Shin Hye ssi, I’m taking the baby soon so you may feel a bit pressure. Just breathe okay?” She told me and like she said I do feel pressure and it’s a bit painful. Chang Wook oppa guide me to breathe and not long after that, I hear baby wailing. She lifts him up to show me. “Congratulations, It’s a boy.” She said. Finally, my son is here. “Time of birth, 6.10 am” the doctor said.

 

I cried as I see my baby after battling with labour for 21 hours. On that mid-November morning, the baby that has been in my womb for 9 months is finally here. I feel a soft peck on my forehead and when I turn to face him, I saw he is tearing too. “Finally, your baby is here.” he smiles at me while wiping my tears. “Our baby. He is our baby, Oppa.” I hold his hand and bring it to my lips and kiss it. “Can you do the honour and cut his cord?” I told him and he nods. I see him cutting the baby’s cord and hold onto the baby expertly. I also see Dr Park expression when she looks at my baby closely. She looks at my husband and I can see Chang Wook oppa nods. He already knows what she is about to ask. It’s about my baby’s condition. My special baby.

 

Chang Wook oppa brings my baby to me and bring him next to my head. He holds onto the baby as I am kissing my son. He wiggles as I kiss him. He looks fine to me. “Hey baby. It’s Eomma.” I talk to him. Then I see he opens his tiny eyes and I fell in love with him in an instant. I am glad That I keep the baby. I couldn’t have been able to see my baby if not because of one person. My husband, my saviour. I whisper to my baby, “Say hi to the most important person in our lives. You are here because of him. Your Appa.” I look at Chang Wook oppa and tell him how important he is in our lives. “Meet your son, Oppa.”

 

He shed more tears as he smiles at me. “Hi baby. I’m your Appa.” he said as he bends down to kiss my baby before kissing my forehead. “Thank you.”

 

“No Oppa, I am the one who should thank you. Thank you for not giving up on us. Thank you for always been there.” I reach for his face and wipe his tears away. “Don’t cry. It’s a happy day. You will be teased by your staffs for being a crybaby.” I joke and he laugh.

 

Then he put my son on my chest so that he can feel my warmth and heartbeat. The doctor said it’s also to stabilize his heartbeat. I reall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter