The Truth

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chang Wook is a bit too careful with his conversation with Shin Hye after In Guk pointed out his mistake. Sometimes he even talks to Shin Hye in formality (jeodongmal). Shin Hye notices that and she does feel awkward with his change of behaviour.

 

“Oppa. Why are you lately talks to me more formal? I thought we agree to talk casually (in banmal) with each other?” Chang Wook who is writing his report stops typing and looking at Shin Hye who is now standing in front of his desk.

 

“I talk in formality? Really?” he pretends that he did not know but Shin Hye did not buy it.

 

“What’s bothering you? There must be something, right? Tell me.” She asked.

 

He gets up from his desk, takes Shin Hye’s hand and walk to the sofa. “Come and sit down, here.” He asked Shin Hye to sit next to him. “Shin Hye ah.”

 

“Hmmmmm”

 

“Do I by any chance…..mmmm……have ever mistakenly…called you Ji hyun?” he is being careful by his choice of words not wanting to hurt her.

 

“Is that what’s bothering you these days? That is what makes you talk to me in formality?”

 

He nods and he really looks sorry.

 

“Yes, you did call me Ji Hyun but it only happened twice so far. I know you had a slip of tongue. I am totally okay with it because I know before me, she is the only woman whose name you remembered.” She said.

 

Chang Wook let out a long sigh feeling guilty of his action. Though it happens accidentally but he should have realized it and not let it happen. Shin Hye has sacrificed her youth and compromising living with him. He takes her hands and hold it tight.

 

“Mihane Shin Hye ah. Chincha mihane. I should have not done that. I should not have call you that.”

 

“Gwenchana, oppa. I know you didn’t mean it. It’s a mistake.” She convinced him that she is okay. It only happened twice anyway.

 

“Why didn’t you stop me, then?” You should have told me and corrected me. Only then I realized my mistake.”

 

“It’s only for that brief moment. The second after you called me by my name back. I just do not want to made an issue with it.”

 

Chang Wook feel relieved and thankful that she is not hurt by his action. He is also thankful that she is an understanding person. He pulls her and give her a warm embrace. “Thank you for being understanding and if I ever do the mistake again, please correct me and tell me that I am wrong.” He said as he lets go of his embrace and caress her face.

 

“So, if that is the reason you speak formally to me, can you please stop it? I feel distant with you and I don’t like that feeling.” She told him honestly on how she feels.

 

“Arasso. Let’s talk in banmal back.” Shin Hye smile as soon as he said that. “By the way, tomorrow night Min Jung noona invite us to her house. Her mother wants to cook for us dinner.” He told her.

 

“Ok, I have tutorial and makeup class until evening tomorrow. We can go after my class.”

 

“Alright. I pick you up from college and then we will go.”

 

When she is about to leave the room, he called out for her. “Shin Hye ah.”

 

“Nae?”

 

“Gomawo. For everything.”

 

She did not get clearly why he said that but she just nods and smiles at him before leaving the room.

 

Actually he wanted to say something else but the words just did not come out. ‘Probably next time.’ He monologues to himself.

 

 

 

Chang Wook leave his clinic sharp at 5pm. Since it is late autumn and night is getting darker earlier and he will leave early to pick his wife because he doesn’t want Shin Hye to wait for him in the dark. Furthermore, today they are having dinner invitation from Min Jung and her mother. He reached Shin Hye’s college sharp at 5.15pm as the college is near the hospital. After picking her up, he drives straight to Min Jung’s house. They live a little bit out of the city. It takes 30-40 minutes’ drive. Since it is after office hours, it will take slightly longer time to reach there. They reached Min Jung’s house that is located in Gimhae area in about an hour. He called her up once he reached and Min Jung invite them at the main gate.

 

“Welcome. Come on in. Finally, you reached my place.” Min Jung said as she opens the door for them. “Eomma! They are here.” she said it out loud and a middle aged woman come out from the kitchen at the back of the house.

 

“Welcome, welcome. Thank you for coming Chang Wook, Shin Hye.” said the woman. Everyone can tell she is Min Jung’s mother. They really look alike. More like sisters rather than mother-daughter.

 

“This is my mom, Kim Il-Hwa.” Min Jung introduced her mother to Chang Wook and Shin Hye.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo , ahjumeonim. Ji Chang Wook imnida. This is my wife, Shin Hye.” Chang Wook bows to greet Il Hwa and introduced Shin Hye as well.

 

“Annyeong haseyo ahjumeonim.” it is Shin Hye’s turn to bow.

 

“Aigoo, don’t call me ahjumeonim. Call me eomonim. Come on in. Don’t stand at the doorway.” she invite them in. “You look a lot like your mom.”

“You know her?” he asked.

 

“Of course, I came to their wedding and I was there during your brother’s 100 day celebration.” she told him. “Have a seat, first. I need to go back to the kitchen to check on the cooking.”

 

“Make yourself at home. I need to help my mom in the kitchen first.”

 

“Is there anything I can help?” Shin Hye said.

 

“Of course no. You are the guest, you should not help. Beside, you are pregnant. I can’t be cruel to ask a pregnant woman to help me out. Anjuseyo.”

 

While Min Jung and her mother goes to the kitchen. Chang Wook and Shin Hye make themselves at home. While sitting at the sofa, their eyes wondering around the house especially Shin Hye.Their house is not so big but it is spacious enough for the two of them. It is a single storey bungalow with a courtyard. From the outside it looks like an old house but the interior design is modern but there are still homey feelings of the house you grew up. There are few family portraits on the wall but all of it basically the photos of Min Jung and her mother. There is a photo during her graduation, during their holiday and a studio photo of both of them. On the shelves also there are several photo frames. There are childhood photos of Min Jung mostly. As both of them look at the photos, Chang Wook found a photo of two gentlemen and one of it is his father. The photo is during his younger days and he could not recognize the other man in the photo. Chang Wook knew and recognizes most of his father’s friends and he never seen this ahjussi with him. Then he found another photo of that man with Min Jung’s mom. He can tell that is ahjumma when she was young because she looks just like Min Jung. The photo is a wedding photo. ‘But isn’t she abeoji’s mistress’ he thought to himself. Now Chang Wook becomes confused.

 

“Oppa, gwenchana?” ShinHye ask when she notices that Chang Wook’s face changes. He looks surprised but not in a good way. “Oppa?” Shin Hye pats his arm and only then he responded.

 

“Nae?”

 

“Are you okay? Why you look so shocked?”

 

“Something is weird.” he said.

Shin Hye gets up from the seat and walk slowly to him. “What is it?”

 

“I don’t know. Seems like something is not right.”

 

“Dinner is served.” Min Jung’s voice interrupted his confused thoughts and both of them move to the dining table.

 

“Wahhhhh…….chincha mashiketta.” Shin Hye exclaimed as she see the array of dishes on the table. There are sweet spicy friend chicken, bulgogi, spicy stir fried octopus, grilled mackerel, samgyaetang and seafood soybean stew (doenjang jjigae). And there are like 10 types of banchan of various kimchi and others.

 

“I know Chang Wook loves sweet spicy fried chicken so I made it for him, as for you Shin Hye I don’t know what you like so basically I made chicken dis, beef dish and also seafood dish for you to choose. Hope you enjoy it.” Mdm Kim said.

“This is more than enough eomonim. I eat anything and most of this are my favourite food. And as if you knew that I am craving for samgyetang now. Thank you for the food.” Shin Hye said politely.

 

“If that so, that samgyetang is for you. It’s good for your baby. Mani meogeo.”

 

And all of them began to dig in the scrumptious dinner made by Mrs Kim and Min Jung. The food all taste good that Shin Hye can’t stop eating.

 

“Slow down Shin Hye ah, you will get indigestion if eating too fast.” Min Jung gives her advice to Shin Hye.

 

Feeling shy, Shin Hye slows down and keep enjoying the food. “Your food are all delicious, eomonim.”

 

“Gomawo, eat a lot. There are more in the kitchen.” Mrs Kim said and the four of them enjoying their dinner while talking about various stuffs. From baby care to their favourite movies and dramas. Eventhough it is the first time they met, but Shin Hye can get along well with Mrs Kim. The two of them looks comfortable with each other. After dinner, they sit at the courtyard and enjoy hot tea and coffee. Mrs Kim brew the coffee and tea herself to maintain the fresh taste of it.

 

In contrary to Shin Hye who is a bit chatty talking with Mrs Kim and Min Jung, Chang Wook is relatively quiet and he is not like that when he arrived. Min Jung realized the change in him.

 

“Chang Wook ah. Why suddenly you are quiet?” she asked.

 

“I just do not know how to butts into girls’ conversation.” he gives a reason but Min Jung seems not buying it.

 

“Are you sure? Seems like something is troubling you. What is it?”

 

“I am not sure whether it is appropriate to ask this, but noona, eomonim who is the guy who takes picture next to my father? I saw few photos of him in the living room.”

 

Both of them smile meaningfully to his question. Of course he will be curious to know who that guy is. They are glad that finally he notices those pictures.

 

“That was my late husband. Min Jung’s father, Lee Seon Ho.” Chang Wook is shocked hearing it.

 

“Nae? I thought that….”

 

“I am your father’s illegitimate daughter?” Min Jung cuts him in before continues, “If I am his daughter, why do you think my name is Lee Min Jung and not Ji Min Jung?”

 

Her question is valid and Chang Wook never thought to ask her about why her family name is Lee.

 

“My late husband and your father are best friends since their college days. They were room mates since the first day. Unlike your father, my husband came from a poor family and he got accepted to medical school by the government scholarship. Your father is so kind hearted. Eventhough he is rich but he never look down on people who are different class from him. He is generous too. He always help my husband whenever he faced financial problems and never ask him to pay back. Not only that, he is also a good mentor in his studies. Maybe because he is gifted coming from a medical background of family, he is smart even he did not study much. So, he helped my husband a lot in his study until he graduated with good grades.” Kim Il Hwa started to tell him about the history of his father and the man named Lee Seon Ho.

“After he graduates, he moves back down here from Seoul as he wanted to give back to the community. We met at the hospital where I used to work as the receptionist. We fell in love and got married. Not long after that, I got pregnant and Min Jung was born just a couple of weeks before our first anniversary. We were so happy with our life. We aren’t that rich but slowly our  life is getting better. Thanks to your father’s help, he managed to open a small clinic. That’s how kind your father is who always helps us. One day, my husband went to Seoul for work. I did not follow as Min Jung is still a baby at that time. She just turns 6 months. Your mom got into an emergency situation, so your dad can’t attend to the house call patient of his. So my husband offered himself to replace him so that he will not have to leave your mom alone in the ward. On the way back after attending the patient, a drunk driver ran over his car and he passed away.” Mrs Kim voice changes at the end of the conversation.

 

“If you don’t feel like to continue, you don’t have to eomma.”

 

“Gwenchana. Since I already started, let me finish the story. Your father feels really guilty over the accident. He believes that it happened because of him. If only he didn’t ask my husband to replace him, Min Jung appa would still be alive and Min Jung will not become an orphan. Because of that also, he insisted to take care of us and be a father figure to Min Jung. He also helps us to run the clinic as my husband cherish the clinic so much, he did not want to loose it. When Min Jung told him she wants to be a doctor, he promised to hand over the clinic to her as that is what it supposed to be.” Mrs Kim explanation makes Chang Wook speechless. He didn’t know that his father is so kind like that. He never sees this side of him.

 

“So, now you know why I called him ‘Appa’. He feels bad for me. Up until now, he thinks it is his fault that my dad passed away in the accident that night. The reason why he always comes to Busan is to check on the clinic’s operation and also to check on us. He thinks he should be responsible to make sure we have a better life because of the incident.

 

“Why did I never know about this?”

 

“Your father did not like to tell people about what he did or what he did not. He loves to donate but will always remains anonymous. He wanted people to know him more because of his career not his personal life. He is so down to earth.” Mrs Kim adds further.

 

“Have you guys ever hate him for what happened?” he asked.

 

Kim Il Hwa just smiles. “Why should we? Yes, we are sad of what happenned, but it is not his fault. It’s already fated. Even if he did not replaced him that night, the accident will still happened. And, how can we hate him after what he did to our family? He had helped us a lot.”

 

“Does my mom knew about all of these?”

 

“Of course. Your dad never keep any secret form her. She encourages your dad more to take care of us. Your mother has pampering Min Jung with lots of gifts. She never missed to give her presents on her birthday. Even until now. Before your sister was born, she spend a lot on her as she really wants a daughter.” she continues.

 

Chang Wook lets out a super long sigh. Not only he misunderstands his father all this while but it seems only he is keeping in the dark of the relationship between his father and these family.

 

“Noona, why didn’t you tell me anything? I knew you for years. Why do you keep it from me and makes me hate my father?” he is in the brink of crying as he asked that.

 

“I wanted to. But when I knew you, you are so broken. You hate him too much and you even accused him the course of the death of your fiancé. I know if I told you the truth at that time, it will make it worsen and besides, appa did not let me. He wanted to tell you himself and he is waiting for the right time. But you seems to get more distant with him each day and I guess he didn’t got the chance yet.”

 

Tears starts to fall from his eyes. He didn’t know that all this while he has wronged his father. His stubborness to listen to his parents that what keeps him not knowing the truth. He admits that after when he saw his dad with Min Jung and ahjumma, he started to lost respect on him and hardly wants to meet  or talk to him. That is the reason why their relationship is getting distant. Shin Hye who has been witnessing the whole confession gently rubs the back of him to help him calm down.

 

“I am so sorry to only tell you this now. Since I heard you are still not in good terms with him, I know I should tell you the truth. Stop hating him. He is not like what you think.” Kim Il Hwa holds onto Chang Wook hands firmly to console him. Then, she puuls him into her warm hug. “I know it must be a shock for you. Take your time to digest it.”

 

After he has calm down, Kim Il Hwa and Min Jung tell him more stories about his father kindness to them and what he has sacrificed. Though knowing the truth is hard, but at least, he knew that his dad that he used to look up to is indeed a nice person. Nicer that he knew. He feels relieved too that his dad never cheated on his mom.

 

“By the way Shin Hye, when are you due?” Mrs Kim asked Shin Hye.

 

“Early December. My due date is 5th of December. I am in my 33 weeks now going to 34 in couple of days.” she answered politely while caressing her beautiful and round belly.

 

“It must be excited right to have a new addition into your married life?”

 

“Nae eomoni, I can’t wait to hold him in my arms.”

“The moment you hold your baby for the first time is the best moment. I can still remember clearly the day Min Jung was born. You need to take extra care of her Wook ah. This last few weeks is the hardest.”

 

“Nae eomoni.”

 

The two of them stays at Min Jung’s house until 10.30pm before they dismissed themselves.

 

 

“He is kind like his dad but the stubborness he gets it from his mother.” Mrs Kim said as soon as Chang Wook and Shin Hye left their house.

 

“Really? Sung Ryung eomma is stubborn?” Min Jung is shocked to hear that because the woman she knows is so soft and kind.

 

“She is. When she was young. Now probably because of aging, she has tone down. A lot!”

 

“I think it is natural as you are getting older, you become more emotional and softer. You too, eomma. When you are young, you are quite fierce with me. Now no more.” Min Jung gets a pinch from her mom as she said that and she giggles.

 

“I need to be fierce when you are a kid to discipline you. I am a single mother and I need to make sure you turn out good. If not people will judge me and blame you for not having a father when you misbehave.” she explains.

 

“I know eomma. Thanks to you, I turn out to be an elegant lady.”

 

“Looking at them is like a dejavu. It seems like history repeating itself.” Kim Il Hwa knew the history of Ji Jin Hee and Kim Sung Ryung since her husband is the best friend.

 

“What do you mean eomma? Are they reminded you of someone?”

 

Mrs Kim just smiles at her daughter. “I want to keep it a secret among us the adults. It is best if you didn’t know about the past too much. Come, help me to clean up.”

 

Both of them walk to the kitchen and begin to clean up the dishes.

 

 

‘Oppa, gwenchana?” Shin Hye asked on the way home and Chang Wook just nods silently. “I know it’s hard for you to learn the truth. If you want to talk about it, I’ll listen to it.”

 

“I’m fine. I am just in shock. All this while I thought he is the ‘bad guy’ and cheated on my mom but he didn’t. He has been taking care of them on behalf of his dead friend as he feels guilty. And here I am, his son who misunderstands him and not even let him to explain.” he said in solemn regretting his actions towards his father.

 

“You’re still young at that time and it is understandable that you think your father cheat on your mom when you saw him with another woman with a child. Everyone will be suspicious if he/she saw that. I would have the same thought too if it happens to me.” Shin Hye tries to help him feels less guilty.

 

“But I should have asked him for the truth and not makes myself misunderstood him for years. No wonder my mom always tells me ‘it’s not as what you seem’ but I thought she said that because she is clueless and she trusts my dad so much. Apparently she is giving me a hint.” he sighs again for the uptenth time.

 

“I think you should call your dad and get a closure. Only then it will ease whatever you are feeling now.” Shin Hye give him a piece of advice and he nods agreeing to what she said.

 

As they reached home, Chang Wook straightaway call out for ahjumma to ask her about what he just knew. The old lady gets out from her room and go to the living room where Chang Wook has been waiting with Shin Hye.

 

“What is it you want to talk about Chang Wook ah?”

 

“Ahjumma, do you know appa’s friend’s wife Mrs Kim Il Hwa and her daughter, Min Jung?”

 

“I don’t know them personally but I do know why they are the wife and daughter of your father’s best friend and he has been taking care of them.” ahjumma tells him what she knows.

 

“Why did you never told me? Why did you just keep quiet when I’m being rude to him?” he asked ahjumma in calm manner. One thing about Chang Wook he is not a hot tempered guy so he hardly gets mad, something he inherit from Ji Jin Hee.

 

“Because your father doesn’t let me. He said he wants to settle it with you himself.”

 

“And I never let him to explain himself. What an ungrateful son I am.” he ruffles his hair until it messed up.

 

“It’s still not too late to make up with your father.” ahjumma pats his shoulder to calm him. “He has been waiting for you to come to him.” She said before walking back to her room.

 

Once inside his room, Chang Wook dials his father number but it doesn’t get through. So he calls up his mom instead.

 

“Yeoboseyo, eomma.”

 

“Nae adeul. Why do you call me up late at night? Is Shin Hye in labour already?” his mother sounds worried on the other line thinking that her daughter in law could be in labour already.

 

“Not yet eomma. She’s still pregnant. Eomma, is appa at home? I tried to call him nut I could not reach him.”

 

“Your appa went to Taipei this evening. He has conference to attend for three days. Why are you looking for him? Anything urgent about the hospital?” she asked her son feeling weird he called to ask for her husband.

 

“No, it’s not about work. I just have something to talk to him. It’s okay, eomma. I call him back when he came back from Taipei. Good night, eomma.”

 

“Good night adeul. Kiss my daughter in law and my grandson good night too.” she said excitedly. Chang Wook let out a small laugh upon hearing his mom’s aegyo.

 

“Arasso, eomma.” he hangs up. He feels like going to Taipei to meet his father but he can’t because tomorrow, they need to go to Jeonju to attend So Eun and Jae Rim’s wedding. They will stay there for two nights. Probably, he will go back to Seoul after the wedding.

 

 

(Cheongdam-dong, Seoul)

 

Lee Min Ho gets an early call to come to his agency as they said they have important thing to discuss with him so he has no choice but to go to the agency first thing in the morning though he came back from shooting at almost 4 am last night. He plans to do some research on Dr Ji Chang Wook today but he has to cancel it.

 

When he enters the meeting room, it seems like all the big shots of his agency is there. Mr. Son (The President), Mr Kim (Director of Acting Division), Miss Jang (Head of Promotional Unit) and Miss Lee (Head of Public Relations). By looking at them, he knew it must be something big to be discuss. Either it is good or otherwise.

 

“Morning, Min Ho ssi. Come on in.” Mr Son invites him in.

 

He gives a deep 90 degrees bow to the board of directors before taking a seat opposite of all of them.

 

“What is the reason you summoned me first in the morning?” Min Ho asked politely. Just then, Miss Jang’s secretary put a file in front of him. He is shock when he opens it, inside there are photos of him and Elijah leaving the club and entering her apartment complex.

 

“Dispatch sent me those this morning and ask us whether they can release it or not. So, I need to know the real story so we can take the necessary counter measures.” Miss Lee who is the head of Public Relation ask him in a diplomatic way. She is the one in charge to give out press release of the artists under Hallyu Entertainment to the media. She is the one who is in charge the rise of the stars under their agency. From the way she talks, you know she is very skilful with her words.

 

“How many times I told you to be careful Min Ho ah.” Miss Jang sighs and she seems like controlling her anger.

 

Min Ho knew that at that point of time, he needs to tell the truth as he is already busted. It also means, whatever happens next, he needs to accept it.

 

“Sorry, it is my mistake. I knew it. She is the woman I met at the bar. I like to be friend with her but there’s nothing happened between us.”

 

“If nothing happens between you two, what about the photos you follow her to her apartment?” Miss Jang asked again but more stern in her voice.

 

“Ok, It’s true that I often go to her house after drinking and spend a night there, but that’s about it. She already left the country with her boyfriend few weeks ago, and we have ended our relationship.” Min Ho being honest and tell them everything. He knows that is no point of hiding anything from them because eventually they will know too.

 

All the four directors just shake their heads and sigh upon hearing what he said. Of course they cannot control their personal life 24/7. All they can do is to minimize the exposure. It is not easy to manage all these stars. They are public figures and people really look up to them, so they must make sure their reputation being kept well.  Nowadays is the high technology era internet era being more crucial because when bad news about the celebrities’ surfaces it will spread out really fast like LTE and it will leave the netizens in uproar. When that happens, it is not easy to handle. Even if they manage to do damage control but it will still give a bad impact on the said celebrity and the his/her popularity of the star will drop drastically and it will be hard for the agency to promote them like before. That is why they need this kind of control measures meeting when Dispatch or any news outlet send them ‘suspicious photos’.

 

“Arasso. From this moment onwards, that woman will be known as your cousin. You are so close that you often hang out with her at the bar and go to her house whenever you are nearby. The bar is the bar you always frequented even before your debut. I will ask Dispatch not to reveal it but just in case these photos get leaks again, this will be the answer.” Miss Lee told him and the rest about what kind of control measures they will need to take. “Don’t worry Min Ho ssi, we will cover it for you as it is part of our job.” Our artist’s reputation is our top priority.”

 

“Kamsahamnida, Ms Lee. I’ll make sure I will be more careful after this and not not caught. Thank you too for giving me a second chance. I will follow the rules and listen to what the company has plan out for me.” Min Ho said.

 

“Glad you know your mistake. I want to remind you again that you are still on dating ban, at least in this first three to five years. It is a general rule that every artists and idol under this agency need to obey.” Miss Jang told him in a stern voice as a reminder.

 

“I will keep myself reminded about that.” Min Ho said.

 

“Since you already said that you will follow what we have plan for you, we need you to do something for us.” Mr Kim, the Director of Acting Division said.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Since your drama is trending now and getting much love. People are anticipating about the development of the romantic relationship between the characters. Because of that, I want you to be extra close with your female lead to boost up the ratings. There will be many interviews being set up for you guys and I want you to give answer as if you guys are dating. Drama fans love those kind of response.” Miss Jang explains in detail. Min Ho did not like what he heard but he needs to agree to it.

 

“Must we go to this extend, Miss Jang? What will Son Ye Jin sunbaenim thought if I did that? She must be shocked.” Min Ho told her.

 

“Don’t worry. I already talk to her company’s representative. I guess by now she will also have been brief about the same thing. This is all for promotion Min Hoy a. We need it. We need to boost the ratings to more than 30%. The viewers love this kind of things, so we need it.

 

“Miss Jang is right. If the ratings increase is double up, you will get more drama often on top of the ones we are reviewing for you now.” Mr Kim, who is the head of department agrees to what Miss Jang has layered out for him.

 

Min Ho knew he is left with no choice. As a newbie in the industry, he needs his agency to path the road to success for him. So, whether he likes it or not, he has to accept to their terms. They are right in a way, as a new star he needs good reputation and making fans love him more is important to ensure he will not befall from popularity. “Arasso. Tell me all the important things I need to say during those interviews.”

 

“Seems we got a deal. You help us with the promotion, we will help you to cover up your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter