Forgiveness

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the whole night Shin Hye nurse him. Putting on the wet cloth on his forehead to lower down his temperature. Making sure the room condition is suitable for sick person and so on. She stayed by his side and hardly left him.

 

She is reading a book when suddenly Chang Wook talks in his sleep that alarms her. “Don’t leave me…. please don’t leave me…don’t leave me…. I need you…. don’t leave me please…. don’t leave me…Shin Hye ah.” It really shocks her because she thought he is referring to Ji Hyun at first.

 

She held his hand and whispers to him. “Don’t worry. I will not leave you. I won’t, oppa,” she caresses his face gently and she kissed his forehead without knowing. How she wishes what she heard just now is his real feelings. He stayed by his side until she fallen asleep next to him.

 

 

 

Chang Wook wakes up feeling slightly better than yesterday. He takes off the cloth in his forehead that has now dried up. He turns next to him when he realized someone is holding his hands and he found Shin Hye is sleeping next to him in a not very comfortable position. She is sitting on the bed but her head is leaning on the bed post and they were holding hands.

 

‘She must be taking care of me for the whole night’, he monologues. He then lay her down properly on the bed. He put extra pillows under her head and on her side for extra comfort before he put the blanket to cover her body. He feels so sorry for her that she needs to take care of him in that condition. Nevertheless, he is thankful that she is there for him. He caresses her face gently then slowly he touches her belly. He smiles as he feels the baby’s kick. He bends down and give a peck on it before getting off the bed. He takes a look at his watch and it is still very early. 5.30 am.

 

He wanted to go out but it is still dark and very cold outside which will make his condition worsen. ‘Maybe I should watch TV’ he said to himself and walking towards the family area. He passed by his father’s study room. It is his father’s favourite room. Just like him, his dad can spend hours inside his study room to read or finishing his works. He hasn’t been in that room for more than a decade. The last time he entered is during high school when he is still in good terms with his father. His father has a good collection of books and he love to borrow from him and read those books. From fiction to medical books, his father reads almost all genres. For the first time after years, he feels like entering the study room again. He knew it is not right to trespass someone personal space without permission but he really wants to see how the room looks like now. He walks to the room and turn the knob. Maybe today is his lucky day because the door is unlock. He is surprised to see the room is the same as before just that there are additional graduation photos of him and his siblings on the wall. For him and his elder brother Chang Min is photos from their university graduation and as for Chang Young and Yoo Jung is their high school graduation photos. The book shelves are still at the original place. There are many new books and some old books are no longer there. Probably his dad donated it to make space for the new books. He takes a look at those books, his father’s favourite and his favourite books are mostly still there. Chang Wook and his dad like to read same genre of books so they used to share books.

 

Then he noticed there is another drawer set behind his desk. He never seen that before. It must be new. Well, not really new probably but new enough for him who hasn’t enter the room for more than 10 years. There are four drawers and each drawer is dedicated to each of his siblings. Inside each drawer are photo albums, journals, notebooks and scrapbooks where his father will paste all the newspaper articles or internet articles of them inside it. His father is a very particular and neat person, so each article is properly labelled which date it is being published and from which sources. The second drawer is dedicated for him, as compared to the others his drawer has more stuffs. He takes out everything inside the drawer. As usual there are photo albums where his dad compiled all the photos even before he is born up until recent which is his wedding day. Then there is scrapbook of him where he compiled every article and news he is in since he is a child until recently too including the magazine article when he is given the ‘Eligible Bachelor’ title. He even prints out all his published journals and papers and put it in a folder even during the time he is just a student who help out with the research data compilation. He knows his father is a keeper but not to this extend. While he is busy browsing through his father’s stuffs, he did not realize that his mom already inside the room.

 

“Your father never missed out any updates about you or your siblings. Whenever there are articles or news about you guys online, he will print it out and find all the newspapers available to keep the copies of it. He will spend hours, putting the newspaper cuttings inside the scrapbook and mark it properly. During your birthdays, he will be here first thing in the morning and look at your childhood photos. That is what he will do every year.” Kim Sung Ryung brief a bit about her husband habit to her son.

 

“Eomma. I did not realize you are here. Sorry I come in without permission.”

 

“Gwenchana. Your appa never forbids anyone entering this room anyway. That is why he never locks it. I saw the lights are on when I am about to go downstairs. I thought he is home but it could not be because it is still very early. Then I saw you inside.”

 

“Do you know about these, eomma?” he showed all the items on the desk to his mother and she nods.

 

“I did not know at first but one day when I was cleaning up this room, I found his collection. The albums and scrapbooks did not surprise me that much, but what shocks me is he writes each detail of you guys and your activity in a journal. I didn’t know he is a journal type of guy as he always forgets our wedding anniversary but apparently he writes everything about you guys. Take a look into it.” She said and hands the journal to Chang Wook.

 

He is reluctant to open it at first as it is something personal for his father, but his curiosity makes him peeks into it. Like his mother said, his father wrote down every occasion he is in from his school days when he had an exam until now. He will jot down everytime he has presentation or public health talks. He wrote down every detail of it. It means that he monitors him closely. One thing that surprised Chang Wook is his dad wrote down in close detail when he broke down during his first mortality conference. He is still a new houseman officer at that time and he can’t save his patient from excessive bleeding and he was stucked when the panellists ask him such tough questions. Even he didn’t remember those details but his father wrote it well. His father is not an expressive person and he shows his love for his children in a unique way. His eyes waters as he reads the journal. His dad has been following about him all this while and he never missed a single important thing about him.

 

“There are videos too. It’s inside the PC. If you want to watch it the password is combination of the birth date of the four of you. Month first.” his mother said before leaving him in the room by himself.

 

He logs on into the PC and clicks one by one the .mp4 file in the folder dedicated for him. His dad collects each video when he does his mortality review and when he presented his own research. He also saves his TV interviews during the days he won the eligible bachelor title. He keeps it all. He even recorded quite a number of videos during his wedding day. He clicks on each video file and watch it. The oldest video is the video when he was barely fes hours being born. It is a video when his brother, ChangMin was introduced to him. His mother is carrying him and Chang Min is next to her. Then he continues clicking the next videos. It makes him realized that he is so close to his father during childhood. Compared to Chang Min who is clingy to his mom, he is clingy to his father more and his word is ‘appa’ instead of ‘eomma’. He never once thought that their relationship will turn sour. Chang Wook spent hours inside the study room going through his father’s collection.

 

 

 

Shin Hye wakes up from her sleep and she notices Chang Wook is not on the bed. She also notices that she is properly lying down on the bed. The last time she remembers, last night she was sitting next to him before she fell asleep. She came down from the bed and move out from the room. She comes down but she couldn’t find him anywhere.

 

‘You are awake dear? How’s the sleep last night?” Kim Sung Ryung greets her daughter in law when she sees her wandering around looking for her husband.

 

“Good morning eomonim. I did not know what time I fall asleep. I was busy taking care of oppa. He was sleep talking last night.”

 

“Really? He must be having a bad dream. This is the first time I heard him sleep talking.”

 

“Where is oppa?” she asked her mother in law.

 

“He is inside his dad’s study room. Let him be.” Shin Hye gets the message that Chang Wook needs time alone. She quickly helps her mother in law to prepare breakfast eventhough the older woman asked her not to.

 

 

 

Kim Sung Ryung and her daughter in law are enjoying watching daily drama when they heard a car approaching their garage. She checks the intercom and it is her husband who just returned from his work trip. She opens the door for him and together with her daughter in law, they greet him. He is kinda shock to see her daughter in law is at his house.

 

“Annyeong haseyo, Abeonim. How’s the trip?” Shin Hye greets him politely.

 

“It’s okay but packed as usual. When did you arrived? Chang Wook?” It must be weird not seeing Chang Wook when Shin Hye is there. Kim Sung Ryung walks towards her husband to take the coat from him. “He is in your study room. He found out.” she said in low voice.

 

“Found out about what?” Ji Jin Hee asked his wife with a questionable face.

 

“Everything. You, Min Jung & il Hwa eonnie, and also things that happened 7 years ago. I did not know how much he had found out but he looked so shocked when he arrived yesterday. Go and talk to him.”

 

Ji Jin Hee nods. He left his things and go upstairs. He takes a peek inside his study room and there he is, his son. The son that he missed the most sitting and go through his special treasures. He knocks, “Chang Wook ah.” He called softly.

 

Chang Wook looks up from what he is reading. His eyes water the moment he sees his father in front of him. He gets up from the seat and runs towards him. “Appa!” he cries as he hugs his father that he missed. “Mihane appa. Chincha mihane. I am sorry for being an insolent child. Mihane appa.”

 

Ji Jin Hee can’t believe that his son now is in his embrace. He hugs him back thightly. “You are never at fault, son. What’s to be sorry about?”

 

“I had wronged you a lot. I resented you. I was rude to you. I gave you a cold shoulder. I blamed you. I…. I…” he can’t continue what he is saying and cried hard.

 

Ji Jin Hee holds his son and caresses his head as he cries like a child too. “No son, no. You never did that to me. I never feel you did that to me. “he has forgiven him long time ago as he knew that his son was unaware of the real situation that is why he is never mad at him when he was treated like that.

 

“I know you want to make me feels better but how can you said nice things like that when clearly I am at fault.”

 

“Because I know you didn’t know the real story. I know you got the wrong impression because you did not know.” He said calmly. “Let’s sit there.” He showed at the couch and both father and son walks towards the couch.

 

“Why you never told me the truth, appa?” he asked after he calmed down. It’s been like forever he had not have a heart to heart talk with his father. It seems like his younger days when he consulted him if he is having problem with school.

 

“I wanted to. I tried so many times but everytime I plan to tell you the truth, it was never at the right time. There mut be something holding me up and/or things were getting worse between us. It’s my fault too. I should have told you earlier about Min Jung and her mom but I choose to keep quiet. At first I did that considering you have an exam coming and I thought you will learn about it sooner or later but eventually keeping quiet is not the best solution. You keep getting estranged from me and it is hard to get you to talk to me. I wanted to wait until you finish your university Entrance Exam (Suneung), then y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter