Letting Go and Moving On

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chang Wook puts his first family photo on his desk joining in the other photos. His desk uses to be clear with only one small frame of Ji Hyun’s photo but now there are five of them altogether. His wedding photo, Jae Wook’s first photo after few minutes he is born, Shin Hye’s photo of her holding Jae Wook which is his favourite and the latest addition, their family photo. He chose to frame the last pose photo as that turns out the best photos of hundreds of photos they took that day. Even Hyun Bin said the same and as him to choose that picture. He places his family photo the most front among the rest. He traces Shin Hye’s and Jae Wook’s face on the picture and smile as he does so. They are his life now. The person who give him the title of husband and father. The best titles in the world.

 

He knows for sure that he is already fallen for Shin Hye but he is still feeling guilty towards Ji Hyun. That is why most of the time he suppressed his feelings towards his wife. He needs to talk to someone about his dilemma. He needs someone to help him get out of the confusion and help him to find an answer and only one person can help him with that. And he urgently needs his help. Without waiting any longer, he picks up his phone and dial the number. His call gets through and it is ringing on the other end.

 

“Yeoboseyo.”

 

“In Guk ah. It’s me. Are you free to talk, now?” he said to the the person on the other line. The person is none other is his best friend, Seo In Guk.

 

“Aah Wookie. What’s Up? I just finish a meeting with my clients and I am going to my parents’ house after this.” said In Guk on the other line.

 

“You are in Ulsan?” his best friend, Seo In Guk is originally from Ulsan. He came to Seoul during high school and stay with his relative. He is a filial son, he will visit his parents in Ulsan at least once a month.

 

“Nae. What is it you want to talk about? You sound serious, Wook.” he asks. Chang Wook rarely call him out of the blue. Normally they will communicate through kakaotalk if there is nothing important. But when one of them calls it means the discussion is something serious.

 

“I need your help, brother. I need your advice.” Chang Wook told him and In Guk knew right away that the matter can’t be discuss through phone.

 

“Give me an hour, and I will be in Busan. Text me where to meet up.” he said before cutting off the line and start his car heading to Busan.

 

 

 

 

 

Seo In Guk cannot believe what he just heard. His best friend, Ji Chang Wook just told him that he got married to his wife is to help her and the baby is not his son. He knows that Chang Wook is a reserved person but he didn’t expect he is this secretive. Speechless, he drinks up his water until finish.

 

“Say something Seo In Guk! Why are you so quiet?” Chang Wook begins to whine over his best friend.

 

“My brain is slowly digesting what you just told me. I do not have the updated processor. So, you met Shin Hye last spring when she came to Busan. You save her from committing suicide. Take her in and marry her to help her. The baby is not yours and you step up to be the father.” Seo In Guk repeats back the important thing Chang Wook just told him to understand the situation.

 

“Eo. Why do you have to repeat what I just said? Is it something difficult to understand?”

 

“It’s not difficult but unusual. It’s something that I thought only happened in movies or dramas. I don’t know it happened to my best friend.” Seo In Guk is a witty guy so sometimes his statement can sound like a humour even though he did not mean to tease.

 

Chang Wook gets irritated by his teasing. He throws the tissue paper he crumpled earlier to In Guk. “Do you want to help me with my problem or not?”

 

“Mihane. Mihane. So what is the problem? Tell me.” he put his drink and try to focus on his friend though his mind is still coping on what Chang Wook just reveal to him.

 

“I think I have fallen in love with my wife.” Chang Wook confessed but once again Seo In Guk gives him a questionable face.

 

“So, what is the problem. She is your wife of course you can love her.”

Chang Wook sigh at his best friend remarks. “Yah, did you forget that that I made a promise to Ji Hyun that I will not love anyone else other than her? I am betraying my own promise.”

 

In Guk is the only person who knows everything about him and Ji Hyun since the first day he met her. So if Chang Wook needs someone to talk about her, he will call In Guk.

 

“That is the promise you do for your own self Wook. A promise you made with your deceased girlfriend. It’s not that Ji Hyun asked you to made the promise for her. No one stops you to find new love, you are the one stopping yourself.”

 

In a way, In Guk is right. Ji Hyun never told him that he should only love her. They never make any kind of promise when they were dating. The only promised they made is to marry each other. That so called promise not to love anyone else but Ji Hyun he made it for himself and to himself.

 

“You know how much I love Ji Hyun right. She is the love of my life. I feel bad. I feel like I am betraying our love. I think I had wronged her.” he ruffles his hair and rub his face with his hands.

 

“Do you think Ji Hyun is happy seeing you punishing yourself not to love again? Don’t you think she wants you to move on and find someone else? If she truly loves you, she will want you to move on, Wook. Stop punishing yourself. You need to move on. And your heart already tells you what to do. Why are you stopping yourself from loving again?”

 

Chang Wook just keep silent listening to In Guk. There is nothing wrong with what he said. “I really do not know what to do In Guk ah. I love my wife. I want to love her but something inside me keep telling me it is not the right thing to do. Something inside me is telling me I am a betrayer. I should not break my promise. I am confused, chingu ya.”

 

“Moving on and find a new love doesn’t mean you forget about her. Loving a new person doesn’t mean you does not love her anymore and stop loving her. Loving Shin Hye and continue your life with her doesn’t mean you replace your love for her. Ji Hyun will always be your first love and no one can take that place from her. She will always be the person you will cherish in your heart. But Ji Hyun is your past. Shin Hye is your future. So, don’t be afraid to open your heart and move on, Wook. You need to move on as you are living in the present and you can’t make the dead come back alive, can you? Deep down you want to love again but you are stucked to the ridiculous promise that trap yourself.” Seo In Guk giving his brotherly advice to Chang Wook.

 

He had asked him countless times to move on but he just refused. When Chang Wook told him that he wanted to get married, In Guk is the happiest person as he thought his friend had move on finally and suddenly he get to know about this, he is shocked that Chang Wook ‘lie’ to him. But when he confessed he had fall in love, In Guk can breathe calmly. At last, Ji Chang Wook voluntarily wants to move on and love again.

 

In Guk leans closer to his best friend for almost 15 years. “Old love is like an antic treasure. Even though it can’t be use anymore, but it is not something that you will throw away easily. It has sentimental value attached to it. It is something that you will keep and cherish it forever.” He knows that Chang Wook is still in dilemma. It is his job as a friend to advise him to move on as he himself wants the best for him. In Guk doesn’t want Chang Wook to be stuck in his past.

 

Chang Wook sighs out of relieved. Finally, someone understands his situation and willing to give the advice he needs. He knows he can rely on his best friend regarding this matter. In Guk had help and guide him on what to do about his dilemma. After today, he does not dwell in that dilemma. There will be no more confusion. He will take In Guk advice and put Ji Hyun and his past away. He will focus on his present and future. He will start loving Shin Hye and hope she will love him back too.

 

“Gomawo, chingu-ya. Thank you for helping me to make decision. I owe you want. Sorry for taking your time from your parents.”

 

In Guk pats his shoulder with brotherly manner. “Anything for you my friend. That’s what friends are for right?”

 

Chang Wook smile at him and nods agreeing to what he said. “Send my regards to your parents.”

 

“Okay. By the way Wook. Good Luck. Hope you can find the happiness you have been searching all this while.” In Guk said before leaving the restaurant.

 

Chang Wook send him with a smile plastered on his face. After In Guk left, Chang Wook leans back to his seat and sip his ice Americano. In Guk’s words keeps being replayed in his head. As the person who is the closest to him and knew him well, his advice is mean for his own good. No hidden meaning. That he can be sure of. ‘So, don’t be afraid to open your heart and move on, Wook.’ His last words sort of giving him an answer. He monologues to himself. ‘I need to move on. I want to love again. I am falling in love with my wife. This time, I will not this opportunity slides.’

 

 

 

 

(Busan Specialist Hospital)

 

Kang Mi Na is briefing Dr Ji Chang Wook on his appointments and schedule for the next day. Every evening between 5pm to 6pm she will brief him on his patient’s appointment and remind him if he has any schedule Caesarean section or induced labour he needs to perform the next day. So, Chang Wook will get himself prepared especially on the scheduled delivery.

 

Every year, before the long Christmas-New year break, his patients will come for check-up few days before the long holiday as they want to take long holidays. This is good for the doctors too as the doctors can take a break at least for couple of days. Even so, some parents decided to welcome their new family member on a special date like Dec 24, Dec 25, Dec 26, Dec 31 and Jan 1. Normally on these dates every year, he will be busy delivering babies either by operation or induced labour.

 

“As usual Dr Ji, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow your schedule is quite pack. Most of your patients will have their check-ups as Christmas is in 2 days.” she said as she put the patients’ file on his desk and also a print timetable just in case he forgot to look into his online calendar in his computer.

 

“Looks like we going to get busy before the holidays. Are you taking leave, Nurse Kang?” he asked his favourite assistant. Kang Mi Na has been his nurse for 5 years since she graduated from nursing school and she has been a great help for him. She is very well plan that she will properly written all his appointment both online and offline in case he forgot to check.

 

“I will take from Dec 26 till new year, Dr. Why? You need help from me?” she asked.

 

“No. Nothing. As long you already tell me all my appointments when you are away, I should be fine. Perhaps there will be someone replacing you right?”

 

“Nae. If there is nothing. I am going to make my move first, Dr. Ji.” she excused herself to go home. Chang Wook nods and start to look at his patients file.

 

“Kang Mi Na-ssi.” he called.

 

“Yes, Dr. Ji? Anything else?”

 

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

 

Kang Mi Na is startled by his question. She looks at him with a curious face than slowly she nods her head. “ Yes. I have a boyfriend sir. We have been together for almost 5 years. Why?”

“Where did your boyfriend takes you for first date? I mean, if you can choose where to have your first date, where would it be?” he asked.

 

“Are you taking someone for first date?” Kang Mi Na looks susicious of his question. He is a married man, why must he wanted to ask for where to go for first date.

 

“Ermmm.. not me. But a friend of mine ask me. He wanted to take s girl for first date preferable on New Year’s eve. So he asked me.” he lied to cover up.

 

“Hmmm..I will look for great places to go for New Year’s date. I will update you tomorrow. Can I?”

 

“Of course. Don’t forget to email me. Okay, see you tomorrow. Be careful on your way home.” he smiles at her.

 

“You too, sir. Don’t work too long. It’s dark already outside.” she said as she closes the door behind her and take her stuffs at the nurse station.

 

After Kang Mi Na left, Chang Wook also pack up his stuffs and heading home. He can’t wait to meet his baby after long day at work and to see her too, of course.

 

 

 

As promised, Kang Mi Na list out the best romantic restaurant in Busan that will be a perfect idea for a first date. Chang Wook is happy to see how proactive and helpful she is.

 

“Thanks Nurse Kang. I will have a look on this later. First I need to scrub in to deliver a baby.” He has a schedule caesarean operation in the morning. His scrub nurses and head midwife has prepared everything for him and all he has to do now is help the baby out to meet the parents. He always loves to start his day by being greet with newborns.

 

Chang Wook lets out a long sigh and leans back his head on the couch inside his clinic. What a hectic day. Today alone he helps to deliver 4 babies and has back to back appointment with his patients. He even missed his lunch. He looks at the watch and it shows 6.45pm and he still needs to write up his report. Approaching holiday season he will be very busy. Then he gets a text message from Shin Hye.

 

‘Oppa, are you coming home for dinner?’

 

‘I will be a bit late. Eat first with ahjumma, okay.’

 

‘Eo… arasso. Don’t come back home too late. Doctors needs rest too.’

 

Chang Wook smile reading her messages. She’s concern about him. ‘Ok my dear wife.’

 

After a brief rest, he walks to his desk to fill up his patients report. He will make sure he finishes up his report for all the patients he attended to on the same day. He also has yet to look at the list Mi Na gave him this morning to book for the best place to take his wife out for a date.

 

 

 

 

Shin Hye look at the clock on the wall and it shows 11.30 pm but her husband is still not back from work yet. He has been busy for the past couple of days but today he is extremely busy he said. He messaged her this evening and told her he will be late as he still needs to help deliver two more babies from induced labour. She takes her phone on the bedside and to when she is about to message him, she heard the knock on her door. Then slowly, the door being push open.

 

“Hi, you are not sleeping yet?” he asked gently and making his way to her bed and sit in front of her.

 

Shin Hye shakes her head to his question. “I just finished feeding Jae Wook and put him to sleep. I was about to message you and ask where you are as it’s almost midnight.”

 

Chang Wook slids her hair that falls behind her ear, “You are worried about me?”

 

She nods her head. She looks down shyly and answer him with a soft voice. “Which wife would not worry when her husband is still not back from work almost midnight. Are you always this busy even though it’s Christmas Day. It’s a public holiday.”

 

“There is no such thing as public holidays for us. Besides many parents wish to have their babies born on Christmas Day. Dec 25 is special date chosen by many parents. Today I am mostly at the labour room. In total I help to deliver 8 babies including 2 set of twins.” As usual, they will update each other on their day. Something that they have been doing even before they got married. Whenever he talks about the babies he helps to bring out to this world, he will never loose his smile. “Do you want to see them?” he said and take out his phone. It has become his habit to snap a photo of each baby he delivered and put keep it in one folder. It is as his good luck charm.

 

Shin Hye smiles looking at those cute babies’ photos. They look heavenly. “They are all so cute, oppa.”

 

“I know right. Looking at babies the whole day makes me miss our little boy more. So how was your day today? Where did you take Jae Wook to?”

 

“I just took him to the playground in the evening. Guess what, oppa? Your son is so popular among the noonas. Every noona loves him.”

 

“Chincha? Wow, looks like our baby boy is going to be a women’s man. This is quite dangerous.” Both of them laugh.

 

“Ok, I am going to take a shower and sleep. I really smell like hospital.” He ruffles her hair as usual and making his way to the crib to kiss his baby good night.

 

“Good night, oppa.”

 

“Good night. Oh before I forget, please free yourself on new year’s eve.”

 

“New year’s eve? For?”

 

“Just make yourself free. You’ll know soon.” He winks at her and left her room to go to his.

 

 

 

 

Ji Chang Wook put the white rose bouquet in front of box 159. The owner of the box love roses when she was alive. Chang Wook got her a bouquet of red roses during their first date and today once again he brings roses but white roses. He already decided to move on and start loving his wife so it is only appropriate he meets with the previous owner of his heart first.

 

“Hey, how are you? I bring your favourite flowers. Roses. You still love roses don’t you?” he greets the owner of the box inside the columbarium, Nam Ji Hyun. His first love. The woman who taught him about love and the one used to own his heart. “You must be surprised why did I come today isn’t it? The reason I come is I want to tell you something and I hope you will not be angry at me.” he gulps his saliva as he trace her photo that he paste in front of the box.

 

He smiles and slowly he begins to utter the words he wanted to say. “Ji Hyun ah. I come here today to tell you that I want to move on. I know I should have not come to tell you this because it is not like you can give me permission to do so but I guess it is the right thing to do and let you know that I have decided to move on. It doesn’t mean that I will forget about you. I never will. I will never can. You are my first love. The one that hold my heart for a long time. The one that I learn what love is all about. You will always be special to me and no one can ever take that title from you. But I think it is time for me to let you go, my dear Ji Hyun.” tears start to well in his eyes and slowly it drops down.

 

“I broke my promise to you. I betrayed our love. Worst of all, I fell in love with another woman. And that woman is my wife. I know when I told you I am marrying her, I gave you the guarantee that I marrying her just to help her and her baby and there will be no feelings involved. I miscalculated my move. I do not expect that my heart would waiver and open up for her. Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter