Budding Romance

HEALING LOVE ©
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chang Wook and Shin Hye came home from their date at almost midnight. Luckily ahjumma is not asleep yet as she is waiting for them especially Shin Hye who has gone out since morning.

 

“Ahjumma, you are not asleep yet?” Chang Wook asked when he sees ahjumma just came down from upstairs.

 

“I just put Jae Wook in the room. Why don’t you give me a call that you have found your wife? I was worried sick thinking where could she has been.” ahjumma cross her arms and staring at the two of them who are holding hands. She can tell something good had happened between them.

 

“Mihane ahjumma, my phone ran out of battery so I am not being able to call you and tell me where I am. Sorry to make you worry.” Shin Hye apologized to ahjumma. She knew that she has made the old lady worried when she is not contactable.

 

“I should apologize too because I forgot to call her back and tell her that I have found you. I am sorry too, ahjumma.” Chang Wook makes cute face while saying sorry that makes ahjumma chuckles. He has the tendency of being cute when he is happy.

 

“Arasso. Arasso. Next time make sure you can be reach all the time. Now go and get rest. Your baby missed you as he cannot see you the whole day. Go and attend to him.”

 

Both Chang Wook and Shin Hye politely greet ahjumma good night before going upstairs to their respective rooms. As they reach in front of their rooms, Chang Wook seems reluctant to let her go. If he is impatient and not in the right mind, he might already pull her to his room but he needs to respect her space and today is just their first day.

“Thank you for everything. Today indeed a very meaningful day for me.” he takes her hand and kiss at the back of it. He is hesitating to say something and keep mumbling his words to which Shin Hye notices it.

 

“Do you want to say something, oppa?” she looks at him with her doe eyes.

 

“Can I hug you?” he said in a low voice. Shin Hye is not that shocked to hear it. She just miles to him and nods. He pulls her into his warm embrace and kiss on her forehead. “Good night. Do dream of me.”

 

Shin Hye just chuckles at his cheesiness. She finds it cute anyway. “Good night, oppa. Sweet dreams.” And they parted ways to enter their respective rooms.

 

Inside the room, Chang Wook is smiling like a happy teenage boy while laying himself on the bed. His face blushes as he thinks of the moments he spent with his wife just now. He is so joyful.

 

Meanwhile in the other room, Shin Hye picks up Jae Wook from his crib and put him next to her. She kissed her baby and pats him gently not to wake him up. She misses her baby too being away with him for more than 12 hours. “Eomma is glad that I give your appa a chance to be love. I hope I am doing the right thing. It’s for your sake too, adeul.” She talks to her sleeping son. Being a mother thought her not to just think about herself, she needs to think what is best for her child. To give Jae Wook a compete family, she needs to accept Chang Wook and try to love him so that her son can grow up in a good family institution.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chang Wook is counting hours of when his on call shift will finish. He has been in the hospital close to 40 hours. He supposed to have a 36 hours on call but he has an emergency came at the last hour of his supposed to be shift and he has no other chance but to attend to his patient. Because of that, he needs to cancel his surprise plan for Shin Hye. He plans to take her out for dinner since tomorrow is her birthday. He wants to be the first person to wish her and spent the first hour of her birthday. He had everything set but because of his duty, he needs to cancel it because his patient needs him more. All he had left to do now is to do a report for his patients and a hand over notes to the doctors and nurses in charge for the next few days as he will be taking leave for the whole week from tomorrow. As he is busy in his clinic, he gets a call from an unfamiliar number.

 

“Dr Ji speaking.” He said as he pressed the green button on the screen.

 

“Dr Ji, I am from courier service. I have something to send to you from Lily Florist and Gift Shop.” The man on the other line said.

 

Ji Chang Wook smiles when he heard the sender’s name. It is the bouquet he ordered from his favourite florist. Since he can’t pick up the bouquet from her due to his work, she volunteered to send it to him instead. “Give me five minutes, I will come down to the lobby.” He ends the call and rush to the lobby with his wallet. Once at the lobby, he immediately sees a courier service guy waiting near the reception area with a big bouquet in his hand. “Excuse me, I am Dr Ji. I guess that’s for me from Lily Florist Shop.

 

The courier man bows to him first before pass the bouquet. “Here is a message for you from Ms Lily.” He passed a small note to him.

 

He takes the bouquet and the small note and sign on the consignment. He then read the note from Lily.

 

To: Dr Ji Chang Wook.

I prepared this bouquet specially for your lovely wife. Since you are my regular customer and this is the first time you asked for ‘other than white flowers’, I give this bouquet for free. I hope your wife will love it and the love between the two of you blooms prettily as the flowers.

Sincerely, Lily.

 

 

He smiles on the thoughtfulness of her favourite florist. He called her three days in advance and asked her to prepare the a very special bouquet for Shin Hye. He wanted to give her the most beautiful bouquet for her birthday. When he tells her he will be pick the flower a bit late, Lily said she will wait as she wants the flower to be fresh and when he said he might be stuck in the hospital till midnight, Lily offer to get the flower send through delivery service. He closes his eyes as he smells the flower and can’t take his eyes off the beautiful bouquet. Seeing those beautiful stalks reminded him on the day he made the order.

 

(flashback)

 

Chang Wook is happily driving to work whistling a romantic love song he likes the most. Memories of the previous day keep playing in his head. Though his wife has not really told him that she loves him, but at least it is a good start for the new romance of their relationship. They are going through the relationship process all over again. She wanted to learn how to love him and he definitely will teach her how. He feels like a teenager falling in love. Smiling like a fool whenever he thinks of her and had his heart pulsating at abnormal beat whenever he sees her. He has not been like this for years.

 

He stops by somewhere on his way to the hospital. Shin Hye’s birthday is coming soon and he plans to give her a special celebration. This is the first time she will celebrating her birthday here in Busan and with him. So he wants to give her something memorable. He walks through the familiar alley at the flower market and head straight to the shop he frequents.

 

“Oso osaeyo.” greets the owner with her worker upon hearing the clinks of the bell at the door. They turn to look at the person who enters their shop and they both smile widely. “Good morning Dr Ji. What brings you here?”

 

“Good Morning Lily, Boa. I come to buy flower of course. What else?”

 

“But you did not call me prior and order what type of flower you want. Normally you will come a day before yesterday. Since you did not call I thought you are away and can’t spent the valentine’s with ‘her’. Never thought you will come today instead so I don’t have many white flowers available.” she said while busy searching her the flowers in her shop looking for any white or whitish shade of flowers suitable to bring to columbarium.

 

“I am not looking for white flowers.” he said when he looks Lily is busy picking up any white flowers available in her shop.

 

“Nae?” she turns to look at him in surprise. “What did you say?” Lily seems to can’t believe her ears.

 

He smiles looking at her reaction. “I am not buying white flowers this time. I need to buy flowers that is not white.”

 

Lily walks towards him and stand in front of him. “Okay, tell me the occasion and what colours do you prefer?” she asked.

 

“It’s for my wife. Her birthday is in three days and I want to give her something special.” he said.

 

“Special like?” Lily continue asking further. She needs to know the details for her to be able to prepare it.

 

“I want to thank her for marrying me and makes me a father and I want to tell her how much I love her and hope that she will stay by my side for eternity.”

 

Lily nods as he tells her the details. “Arasso. I got it. When do you want to get it ready?”

 

“On the 17th. A day before her birthday. I will come and pick it up in the evening after I finish my shift. I plan to surprise her that night.”

 

Lily nods and write something on her order book. This is indeed the first time he regular customer, Dr Ji Chang Wook come and order other than white flowers.

 

(Flashback ends)

 

 

Chang Wook can’t wait to go home and present the flowers to Shin Hye. He goes back to his clinic and finish up his report and handover notes. After making sure everything is done, he makes his way home. He takes a look at the time. 11.45pm. We will reach his penthouse just about midnight and he still can be the first person to wish her.

 

He takes all his stuffs and make his way to the elevator. Once inside he pressed the basement level to get to his car. He put the flowers carefully on the passenger seat before getting on the driver’s seat, start the ignition and drive home.

 

When he reaches home, the house is literally very quiet so he knows everyone has go off to bed. He brings all the stuffs he had prepared upstairs and carefully arranged it at the family area upstairs. Then he slowly knocks Shin Hye’s door. When there is no answer, he carefully turns the door knob and check on her. They suggest not to lock the room because it will be easier for them in case of emergency occurs. As expected, she is already sleeping. He carefully walks to her bed and sit by the bedside looking at her peaceful sleeping face. Seeing her in that state, he does not have the heart to wake her up. He caresses her face gently and bends down to give her a sweet kiss on her forehead.

 

Shin Hye wakes up to the feeling of a peck on her forehead. She smiles as she sees the lovely face of her husband the moment she opens her eyes.

 

“Oppa. You are back. What is the time now?” she asks groggily while trying to sit up.

 

“Sorry to wake you up, it still midnight. Go back to sleep.” he gently pushes her body to lie down on the bed again.

 

“It’s okay. I am already awake. Finally, you are home. Jae Wook and I miss you.”

 

Chang Wook pinches her nose softly. “Really?” he asks and she nods cutely. “I miss the two of you too. By the way, Happy Birthday Park Shin Hye. My lovely wife.” he said as she caresses her face, holding on to her chin and give another kiss on the forehead.

 

Shin Hye loves it. She feels a kiss on the forehead is more meaningful than a kiss on the lips. “Thank you oppa for being the first person to wish me.” She looks at him lovingly with her sweet smile.

 

He takes her hands and intertwine it with his. “I have a surprised for you. Let’s go outside.” He said excitedly.

 

Shin Hye gets down from her bed and excuse herself to wash her face. She goes to the bathroom and come out few minutes later with freshly washed face. Then she goes out of her room and her eyes widen the moment she steps out.

 

“Surprise!!!” Chang Wook shout out but not too loud. He has prepared almost everything. A small birthday cake, a beautiful bouquet and a nicely wrapped big size box. He takes the cake and lit it up while singing.

 

♪Saengil chukahamnida. Saengil chukahamnida♪

♪Saranghaneul uri yeppeun Shin Hye♪

♪Saegil chukahamnida♪

 

“Make a wish.” Shin Hye close her eyes and brings her hands together to make a wish before blowing the candles off. “May your dreams come true. Happy Birthday, My Love.”

 

Even though it is such a simple celebration but Shin Hye is touch by what he has prepared. Despite his busy schedules and long on-call hours, he still manages to get everything done for her. She realized her eyes starts to wet but she quickly controls herself not to get teary.

 

“Come let’s eat the cake.” He holds on her hands and walks towards the couch. He also already makes two cups of hot chocolate for them to eat with the cake. Shin Hye cuts the cake and put it on the small plates for each of them.

 

“By the way, this is for you.” He hands in the bouquet to her and she smells it as she takes it from him.

 

“It’s beautiful. Thank you very much oppa. This is so my colour.”

 

“This is for you too.” He takes the big box and put it in front of her. “Open it.”

 

Shin Hye open the box and she becomes speechless when she sees a complete art set is inside the box. From sketch books, drawing papers, sketch pencils, pencil colours, coloured pens, water colours, brushes and much more. It feels like Christmas. Some of the stuffs are things she wishes to have. ”Opp….oppa” she stutters in shock. “Why do you get me all these?”

 

“I want you to focus on things you like to do. I can see you love to draw and I want you to keep drawing as it makes you happy. I want you to pursue your dreams. I hope one day, you will hold your own exhibitions and I will be the first person to visit your exhibition each time.”

 

Shin Hye is beyond touch by his thoughtfulness. She never thought that he will support her hobby to this extend. It makes her falls for him more. She hugs him suddenly. “Thank you, oppa. This is too much. Thank you. Thank you so much.”

 

“No worries, dear. Oh, I have another surprise for you.” He said.

 

Shin Hye pull herself from him and look at him curious. “More?”

 

He smirks as he nods his head. He takes and envelope and give it to her and when she checks what is the content inside the envelope, she could not stop her tears from flowing. It is a flight ticket to Okinawa the place where her halmeoni resides now for her, Chang Wook and Jae Wook.

 

“I know you miss halmeoni and I think you deserve a break and spend time with her. And also, it will be a great family holiday for us. Do you like this surprise?”

 

She looks at him and hugs him again. “I love it oppa. Thank you so much.”

 

Chang Wook caresses the back of her head and sniff her hair. “It is your birthday and you definitely deserve it.”

 

 

 

 

Shin Hye is so excited to go back to Okinawa that she packs her luggage right after they celebrate her birthday. Though it is just a small celebration between her and her husband but she likes it so much. They didn’t do much. She opens her presents and then they eat the cake while chit chatting. She asks him about his on call and his patients and likewise he will ask her about her day with their son. Shin Hye realized being with Chang Wook she talks more about life, current issues, hobbies and dreams. It makes her more matured and educated. Something she never did when she was with Min Ho. Chang Wook loves two communications so they will always exchange stories. They have been doing this since earlier when they were practically strangers.

 

Even though she only had few hours of sleep but she still feels energetic as her excitedness overcomes her fatigue. She even offered to pack for Chang Wook but he said he can pack himself. Ahjumma made seaweed soup for Shin Hye and pack the breakfast for them. They will be having a morning flight so they are a bit in a rush to go to airport.

 

After making sure everything is loaded in the car, they make their way to Gimhae airport. The journey from Haeundae to Gimhae takes about 30-35 minutes. After park their car at the overnight parking bays, Chang Wook unloads their luggage and put it on the cart while Shin Hye carrying Jae Wook using the baby sling. They straight heads to the counter to drop their luggage and check their documents for check in. After everything is done, Chang Wook takes Jae Wook from Shin Hye and carry him and heads to boarding gate to go through the immigration process for international departures. Chang Wook keeps intertwine his hands with Shin Hye and never let it go most of the time. After everything has been cleared, they patiently wait for their plane at the boarding gate.

 

“Are you excited?” he asks his wife who is feeding baby Jae Wook. Shin Hye nods excitedly and her face brighten up thinking about that in less than three hours she will be in Okinawa. The last time she goes back to the islands is almost two years ago.

 

“I hope Jae Wook will not get cranky inside the plane. I am worried.” She said. She reads that babies tend to get cranky in the plane as they can’t stand the pressure in the cabin. So, she is worried that Jae Wook will cry throughout the journey.

 

“Don’t worry. Let’s try to get him sleep inside the plane so he will be more calm.” He assures her.

 

Not long after that, the boarding announcement is made and the staff called out passengers traveling with kids, infants and babies to board first. Chang Wook passed his son to Shin Hye and he carries all the small bags with him and make their way to the gate. After showing their boarding passed they board the plane and take their seat. Since they are flying with a baby, they get the first line seat where there is a place to put the bassinet. Baby Jae Wook looks fascinated looking at the unfamiliar sight and looking at many people walking passed by him. He giggles whenever someone smiling at him. He is indeed one special baby. He seldom cries unless when he fells unwell. Shin Hye is thankful to be given a happy baby who always brighten up her days.

 

The 2-hours flight to Okinawa is good. The weather along the way is clear with less turbulence and Jae Wook behave well along the journey. He was just a bit restless during take-off but after that he has calm down when Chang Wook cradles him and fell asleep not long after.

 

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have now safely landed at Naha International Airport, Okinawa, Japan. For your safety please remain seated with your seatbelt fasten until the aircraft has come to a complete stop. You may switch on your mobile devices once you are inside the terminal building. The time now is 11 am and the temperature is 8 degrees Celsius. On behalf of Captain Kim and the rest of the crew, we would like to thank you for choosing Asiana Airlines. It was a pleasant to serve all of you. To all visitors welcome to Okinawa and to Okinawan, welcome home.

 

With that announcement, it means they are now on Okinawan Island. Shin Hye can’t wait to see the surprise look on her halmeoni’s face. Chang Wook said, he never told her that they are coming. They wait for the other passengers to embark the aircraft first then only Chang Wook gets all their stuffs and help Shin Hye with her baby sling. Jae Wook is still soundly asleep inside her mother’s arms. After they had gone through the immigration clearance, they claim their luggage before going out to get a taxi.

 

“Welcome to Okinawa, oppa. Hawaii of the East.” Shin Hye welcoming her husband to a place she calls home. She moves to Okinawa from Tokyo when she was 13 when her grandmother got an offer to teach in Okinawa International University. She stayed there for 3 years before moving to Seoul at the age of 16. She will go back to Okinawa twice a year during school holidays and semester breaks. But she did not go back last year because she was busy with her projects than all the unexpected things happened. Chang Wook I the first person she ever brings back to Okinawa and she is excited to show him around.

 

They get a taxi and Shin Hye tells the driver halmeoni’s address. The driver helps them with their stuffs and loading it in the car. He chats something with Shin Hye in Japanese. She can understand and speaks fluent Japanese with some Okinawan accent. Chang Wook is in awe with his wife’s talent.

 

“What did you talk to the driver earlier on?” he asks when they are already settled in the taxi.

 

“He asked me if we are Japanese. So I told him that we are Koreans but I stayed here before hence I know Japanese. Then he asked are we married?”

 

“And what did you answer?”

 

“I told him yes. And I bring you home to meet my grandmother. Why? What do you think my answer will be?” she glares at her husband which Chang Wook finds it cute.

 

“Of course I know you will tell the truth. I just want to have fun by asking.” His answer earns him a tiny pinch on the lap from Shin Hye. He just laughs at her reaction. Sometimes he loves to because he finds it cute when she is sulky or jealous.

 

“Do you think I am that bad. I know my status of a wife. Don’t worry, oppa. I haven’t forgotten about that yet.” She pouts at him and Chang Wook push her pouty lips with his index finger.

 

“Don’t pout too much, it makes me want to kiss you.” Both of them suddenly bashing and they turn to look away from each other to hide their reddened face.

 

“The weather here is different than in Busan. You don’t have four seasons?” Chang Wook quickly change the topic to avoid awkwardness.  

 

“Yes. The weather over here is more sub-tropical temperate. We have 4 seasons but it is not extreme. The winter is not too cold and the summer is not too hot and dry.” she answered as she looks outside. “Now is spring here, you can see sakura starts to bloom.” she showed him the cherry blossoms trees that starts to bloom along the street.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter