Chapter 5

Code Name L
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MiJoo was on her way home. Sometimes she wished she had a job with better times. She didn't know why she agreed to work at a corner store from 8PM to midnight. But then again, she did.  It was because her university classes would conflict if she took any other shift. On the bright side, the corner store during her shift was very quiet, so she had basically the whole time to sit behind the counter and study in peace. It was also near her house; it took only 3 minutes to walk home.

She held her umbrella low, covering her face. She hated rainy nights like this. It was pitch black, and the rain was so loud. She thought she heard footsteps and continued walking faster.

It's just the rain drops... It's just the rain drops.. It's just...

Her hands were shaking. She thought to herself, "Isn't this the perfect time for a ghost to pop out?"
She got goosebumps. She started walking faster. Of course she wasn't expecting rain today, and now her flipflops were soaking wet. That's not a good combo, because wet flipflops also mean they were slippery. She screamed so loudly when her foot went straight into a puddle and she lost her balance. She felt a hand hold her wrist to stop her from falling. It was the grim reaper coming for her. She was certain. She screamed and swung her umbrella blindly behind her.
"Ouch!" The voice said.
She heard the ghost fall flat onto the wet sidewalk. She turned around cautiously and gasped. It wasn't a ghost or a grim reaper. It was a person. The young guy had a cut on his nose from the sharp point of the umbrella. Her umbrella was a few feet away, inside out and tangled, unable to be saved.
There goes another good umbrella, she said in her head, This is what I get for buying cheap umbrellas that break so easily.

She helped the person up. With a better view, she could see that he was young, probably around the same age as her.
"Sorry, I thought you were a crazy ghost and just swung by instinct-"
He shook his head vigorously as he held his cut, "It-It's okay."
Before he would walk away, MiJoo stood in front of him, pulling his face closer. His eyes widened in surprise. He could hear her breathing. She touched his nose, "I didn't realize I hurt you that much..."
"I'm okay, for real-"
She shook her head and motioned him to follow. They walked back towards the corner store. She led him to a seat by the window of the store. He was about to stand up but she barked, "Sit!" He fell back into the seat.
"Ah, MiJoo, are you here to take my shift?" The cashier said.
"No, I already worked my shift. I'm back because I need to buy this," She placed onto the counter a pack of bandaids, a disinfectant, and a tiny children's towel with some kind of princess pattern on it.
The cashier looked over at the young man, and then looked down, tsking at the puddle the young man was creating under his seat from coming in soaking wet. He finished scanning the items and MiJoo paid. She came over with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter