Heads or Tails?

Unicorns Are Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Heads or Tails?

Two sides of a coin

 

A coin has two sides: Heads and tails. 

In the moment of undecisiveness, I would normally write down the pros and cons of every choice available. However, my mind isn't really capable of properly functioning right now, as my roommate is getting on my nerves with her loud munching and slurping. I've been putting up with her for the whole year and I can't take it anymore, so, I'm going to let a coin decide my future.

Heads: Stay at my current dorm and put up with my roommate for another year, which will help me save a lot of money and time since it's near university.

or

Tails: Tell my roommate that she's ing annoying, move to an apartment and live a peaceful life, which will definitely be expensive and far from university.

This is the thing about coins: there's only two sides so the probability of one side or the other showing is divided evenly. You never really know which side will show.

With a deep breath, I flip the coin, caught it, and slowly removed my hand to see.

 

Sighing, I turned around and faced my roommate. "You know what? I'm so sick of your ing loud munching, slurping, and your obsession with slimes. I'm out." I can finally die in peace.

 

Finding a new apartment was easier than I've expected considering that the school year is only three weeks away from now. I was able to rent an apartment four blocks away from university, which isn't really that bad.

After passing all the requirements for admission in the university, I went to check my apartment to unpack and settle in. 

Unfortunately, the elevator is being repaired so I had to walk up the stairs up to the tenth floor. Now I feel bad that the movers had to carry my boxes ten floors up. I should've paid them more. 

Almost near the tenth floor, shouts coming from the ninth floor made me stop. Dramas intrigue me, as long as I'm not included.

"Get out." The door of 902 opened and a tall brunette pushed a guy out the apartment. He was taller than her and by the looks of it, he takes gym seriously. He's kinda good looking.

"But---"

"Get out before I kill you!" The guy sighed when the girl shut the door with a loud bang. Let's just hope that this couple doesn't fight that often.

Now that the show was over, I went to my apartment and started unpacking. I have a lot of things to do and it would take me at least two days to completely finish this all. Well, I should at least get started with my bedroom first.

My apartment has two bedrooms, a bathroom, a decent kitchen, a fairly spacious living room, and a storage room. It's kinda weird that this much space only cost 800 dollars a month and the landlady didn't even require a downpayment. 

I was at the living room, about to unpack the third box, when someone knocked on the door. The doorknob twisted and the door slightly opened, showing a girl sporting a bright smile. I forgot to lock the door.

“Hi new neighbor!” So she’s my neighbor. The landlady informed me that there were only two of us on the tenth floor. I guess it’s her. 

 

“Hey.” I smiled back, feeling a bit embarrassed as she was looking so bright.

Her eyes roamed around the living room. “Need help?” She pointed at the boxes on the floor.

“I can handle it, thank you.” 

“I insist.” She opened the door widely and stepped inside. “I’m Lisa by the way.” She’s tall. Taller than me, but not too much. Her hair was dyed light brown, which matched her wide eyes and long lashes. Lisa was wearing black high waisted shorts and a faded red hoodie. I’m guessing that she’s the same age as me, if not older.

“Y/N.”

Lisa opened one of the boxes and carefully took out the things inside. She got the kitchenwares. “No roommate?”

“Nope, just me.” I’m really awkward around new people and I like to prevent awkward talks from happening but this girl either doesn’t feel it or she’s pretending not to.

“Same.” She picked up a paper which probably fell from the books I picked up from the second box. It was the university brochure. “What course are you taking?”

 

“Law. I’m in my second year.”

 

Lisa suddenly stopped what she was doing and turned to stare at me. “Oh god. I find law students hot.” 

“Sorry?”

 

“I think you’re hot.” 

 

“Umm... thanks?” My face is definitely red right now, it’s burning. I’m not really good with compliments. Is it rude not to say the same? But—oh whatever. “You too.”

 

She opened to say something, closed it, and pointed to herself. “You think I’m hot?!” 

 

What am I supposed to say? I didn’t really mean it—-okay maybe I did.

 

She clapped her hands, startling me a little. “We should totally date!” What? She comes in here at my apartment and flirts with me? She can’t just do that. 

A laugh stopped my thoughts and I look back at her. She waved her hands and smiled. “I was just kidding! Don’t feel too awkward.”

I chuckled and we went back to taking out things from the boxes. Lisa lifted the box she was opening earlier. “Actually, I wasn’t really joking.” She winked, laughed, and placed the box at the storage room. 

She can’t just walk in here and do this to me! Nobody can!

 

I've always wondered why is it so awkward when you're inside the elevator with other people. Maybe it's because we're too close to each other and we're not made for that closeness with strangers, or whatever. The elevator was about to close when I caught sight of Lisa. I quickly pressed the button to stop it from closing. Lisa was wearing black trousers, black shirt, and black blazer. She was also wearing sunglasses. 

I don't usually start conversations but since she was nice to me yesterday, why not? "Morning." 

She glanced at me for a second and faced ahead, ignoring me. Although she just offended me, the silence was too much to handle and I felt the need to say something. "You're going to a funeral or something?"

She turned her head towards me. "Yeah, to you your funeral if you don't stop talking to me." Okay, that was rude. What the hell is wrong with her? Just yesterday she was all smiles and now she's being a ? 

The elevator opened and we were already at the ground floor. Before I can even say anything, Lisa walked out, leaving me baffled. 

Why am I even overthinking? She probably woke up on the wrong side of her bed. Who cares? I don't.

After going to the grocery and picking up some necessities, I stopped by first at the lobby to ask for their number in case of emergencies to avoide future reprimanding from Mom. 

"You just moved in?" I glanced beside me and saw the girl from the nineth floor yesterday.

The landlady was slowly, very slowly, writing the number. "Yeah. Just yesterday. 10th floor."

The girl's smile turned upside down when I mentioned my floor number. I was going to ask why but she already beat me to it. "Be careful of your neighbor." She looked around her before whispering, "Something's off about her."

"Don't listen to her. She's being a ." The landlady chuckled and handed me the paper. 

"No I'm not! It's true." 

Before they even include me in their argument, I escaped and went up to my apartment. I was having a struggle opening my door when the elevator opened and came out Lisa carying two huge boxes on top of each other. 

"Do you need help?"

Her sunglasses were not hiding her eyes anymore, but she was wearing a straight face instead. "I don't need help, especially from a stranger. and I don't have time to be friendly with my neighbor either." She didn't even bother looking at me. Okay, that's it. I'm done being a good neighbor and I'll definitely cross out the thought that I may have had a girl crush on her. I don't have a crush on a .

 

It was almost midnight already when I remember something. I was told to open my email since my professor in corporate law II was supposed to send the module for the first meeting. Before I can even download the file, a scream from next door made me freeze. Is lisa in danger? 

I shrugged.

Maybe she's just having se--but if she is, the scream shouldn't be that loud, unless of course the guy is really--- ugh, what the hell. I'll just go check it in case there's something wrong.

I went out of my apartment and walked to Lisa's. My heartbeat hastened when I saw the door slightly open. Someone might've broken in. I opened the door slowly and stepped inside. The lights were all turned off and no one is in sight. Although it was difficult to see, the light from the lamp post outside helped me see the messy livign room. The table lamp was on the floor and chairs were out of place. Almost all the frames and vases were knocked down. 

A metal rang, probably fell on the floor, caught my attention. It came from one of the rooms near the kitchen. I picked up the long necked vase on the floor and cautiously made my way to the room. Lisa is probably there and needs my help, if I'm not yet late, that is.

Slowly, I pushed the door open and took a peek inside. . What the hell happened here?

On the floor was a guy, lying down, blood all over the carpet still spreading. I looked around and saw Lisa, at the corner beside the bed, sitting with her arms around her knees and head buried. 

“Lisa?” I called, walking closer to her. “Lisa what ha—-oh my god.” Beisde her was a knife stained with blood. Her hands were also painted with red. She looked up, eyes swollen and tears flowing down.

I swallowed the lump on my throat. “Did you...?

Lisa's eyes widened. “No! I didn’t do this! I— I woke up and saw him lying down here.”

But the knife and her hands...

As if reading my mind, she explained, “I pulled it out of him. I thought he’s still alive.” Lisa stood up, her lips and hands trembling. “I don’t know how this happened but you have to believe me! I didn’t do this." She was panicking, and so am I, but that wouldn't help us right now.

I went ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter