I'll show you (Part I)

Unicorns Are Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I’ll show you

From Hate to Love

 

 

Living in a foreign country can be difficult. Scratch that, very difficult. Y/N made a brave and risky decision of leaving her homeland and live in South Korea in order to pursue the idol life. She left everything: her family, friends, comfort zone, and not to mention, she had only one year left to complete her high school education. Her family and relatives thought that it was ridiculous, that it was a waste of time, but she was determined to show them that it wasn’t. She was going to work hard, debut, and be successful. 

 

But it wasn’t as easy as she pictured. 

 

It hadn’t even been a month yet but she was itching to call her mom and tell her that she wanted to go home, that she made the wrong decision, but then she remembered that if she gives up now, she’ll hear “I told you so”s once she lands home. And she certainly didn’t want that.

 

What made it hard for her is the language. She hasn’t fully grasp the Korean language, which affected her trainee life greatly. None of the trainees wanted to befriend her. Y/N knows that it’s either they’re intimidated to speak in english, or they’re overall intimidated by her presence. She’s aware that she has a resting face which scares off people, but it’s beyond her control.

 

It didn’t even help that she’s improving in a fast pace, faster than the others who started training four years or more. It should be a good thing because the instructors, even JYP himself had grown quite fond of Y/N. But this favouritism had brought jealousy and enemies to the other trainees. They were bitter that a month old trainee is better than most of them. 

 

“Yah. Give me the laptop.” One of the ‘bitter’ trainees, Son Chaeyoung, barged in the room and took away the laptop Y/N was using and started doing her thing. Y/N just watched her. Honestly, she had enough of Chaeyoung’s attitude already, but she wasn’t going to lash out since she’s no drama queen. She wants to stay away from drama as much as possible, but Chaeyoung is the epitome of drama and jealousy. And plus, she wouldn’t be able to give the girl a piece of her mind in Korean, definitely not possible even if she wanted to.

 

“Did you delete my file?! I needed that for the evaluation!” Y/N was caught off guard with the sudden outburst. Thankfully, since she was taking Korean lessons, she can understand what they say most of the time, she’s just having a bit of a hard time speaking.

 

“What file?” Y/N certainly doesn’t remember lending Chaeyoung her laptop before. 

 

Chaeyoung was now standing, laptop in hand. The other trainees started coming in as well. It looked like they’re in the drama: Chaeyoung and Y/N are the actors, while the trainees watch them in amusement. They had expected this to happen sooner or later, and now they’re there to witness it live.

 

“How dare you delete it?! Do you think this laptop is yours?! It’s company’s property so everyone uses it!” Chaeyoung’s eyes were full of fire, something Y/N always sees when she looks at her. “I knew it. You’re threatened by my presence so you wanted to bring me down by deleting my files. I didn’t know everyone’s favourite is this pathetic.”

 

Due to her limited vocabulary, Y/N could only understand that Chaeyoung was asking why she deleted her file and that the laptop was company’s property. She could only roll her eyes and exhale loudly. “Look, that’s my laptop.”

 

It bothered Chaeyoung that Y/N was always calm. Actually, everything about Y/N bothered her. “I’m telling you, company’s property are meant to be shared. Now your true side is showing. You’re just a selfish who thinks so highly of herself.”

 

Whispers around the room erupted and Y/N had no idea what the other was talking about. She hated that they garnered attention. She hated that she couldn’t understand what the girl in front of her is saying. She hated that she couldn’t slap the hell out of her.

 

“So what? You can’t say anything now that I’ve caught you?”

 

“Look. I don’t understand.” Frustrated, Y/N looked around the crowd of trainees. “Can someone translate please?” She waited but apparently, there’s no english speaker with them at the moment. Y/N groaned and took out her phone. “Guess I’d just have to rely on google translations then. Just pray that this is accurate.” She mumbled and started typing when a voice stopped her.

 

“Hey.” 

 

Y/N looked up and saw an unfamiliar face. “Yes?”

 

“I heard someone needed a translator?” The girl looked at Nayeon, who was beside her, unsurely. 

 

“Oh thank god.” Y/N turned off her phone and started explaining. “Can you please tell her that, that laptop belongs to me.” 

 

The girl did as she said, translated it to Chaeyoung as accurate as possible. But Chaeyoung grew even more irritated. 

 

“She said that you’re self centred and doesn’t know how to share. You even deleted her file just to drag her down.” 

 

Y/N couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Self-centred? Her? Yeah, quite. but that doesn’t have anything to do with her laptop. “What the hell? Why would I even delete something that wasn’t even there in the first place?”

 

Again, the girl translated what she said. It went on and on until Y/N already had enough of explaining and just took the laptop from Chaeyoung’s grip and pointed at the right corner of the screen. “See that? That’s my name over there. Y/N.” 

 

“Umm… Chaeyoung…” Someone among the crowd called, all attention went to her. The trainee showed her the laptop Chaeyoung was talking about. Much to Y/N’s pleasure, Chaeyoung was left utterly embarrassed of what happened. 

 

Y/N closed the laptop and gathered her things. “Don’t jump into conclusions next time.” Y/N shook her head and went out of the practice room. 

 

She wanted to blame herself for having the same laptop and wallpaper as the company’s laptop, but she didn’t really care. Not when she had enough of Chaeyoung’s y attitude.

 

“Hey!” Y/N turned around and saw the translator girl catching up to her, smiling. 

 

“Oh. Hey. Thanks for translating… I guess.” 

 

“It’s nothing. It was… entertaining anyway.” The girl laughed and Y/N only noticed now how the girl had a weird accent, but she didn’t know what kind of accent it is. Nevertheless, it sounded nice to her ears.

 

Y/N couldn’t help but chuckle and roll her eyes at the comment. “Yeah right.”

 

“I’m Jennie by the way.” A bright smile fixed on her face as she introduced herself. She had been meaning to do so for who knows how long already, and finally, Y/N now knows her name.

 

“Y/N.” Y/N said plainly, but still returning back the smile, although it was nothing compared to Jennie’s.

 

Jennie looked around before asking, “Where are you heading to?”

 

“Somewhere away from here. Probably at a cafe or something.” Y/N shrugged. She wasn’t really used to people talking to her for a long time. This is probably the longest ‘friendly’ conversation she ever held since coming here.

 

“Great! I was just thinking of getting drinks. Can I come with you?” Jennie showed her gummy smile, and Y/N finds it hard to say no so they ended up walking together to find a perfect cafe for them.

 

“What’s the deal with you and that girl anyway?” Jennie started a conversation on their way to a cafe, which Y/N was thankful of since she was feeling a bit awkward. Almost a month of being a loner turned her twice as awkward as she initially was.

 

Y/N raised an eyebrow. “Chaeyoung? Well… Long story short, she’s a rapper and when I auditioned, the management assigned me for the rapper position as well so basically, we get compared a lot. And it just happens that most of the instructors and JYP compliments me whenever we have an assessment so yeah she hates me. I think she just feels threatened though.”  She shrugged and failed to notice how Jennie had an amused smile etched on her face as she watched and listen to Y/N. “It’s natural, but definitely irritating.” The latter finished, looking at Jennie, wondering if she talked too much.

 

“Well jealousy can’t be helped among trainees.” Thankfully, she partially listened to what Y/N was saying. She couldn’t really focus on one thing since everything about Y/N is distracting. It’s hard to multitask. 

 

“Yeah… Which reminds me, are you new? I don’t think I’ve seen you before.” Y/N was getting a bit, just a tad bit, comfortable talking to Jennie. Or she wondered, maybe it’s just because she haven’t talked to anyone for a long time.

 

“I was actually expecting you to remember me…I said Hi to you before though.” Y/N noticed the change of tone and the slight pout forming on Jennie’s lips. She panicked, thinking she offended the other girl.

 

“I’m so sorry… I don’t really remember. My memory is quite terrible. So you’re not new? How come I didn’t seen you during the evaluation?”

 

The two entered a random cafe, placing their orders as they continued on with their conversation. 

 

“No, I’m actually a trainee from YG. I come by every now and then to visit Nayeon, she’s my friend.” They took the window seat. The cafe wasn’t too busy as it only had two other customers plus them.

 

“Oh. Does that mean you’re older than me then? I should probably use honorific now.”

 

“Yup, I’m older than you, but please, no honorifics, we’re speaking in english now. Although even if we do speak in Korean, drop the honorifics.” Jennie warned Y/N, and the latter didn’t know what’s Jennie’s intention in asking her to drop the honorifics when it’s really important in Korea. She didn’t want to come off as rude but then the look Jennie gave tells her to just comply.

 

“Umm… Okay?”

 

“Good. ‘Cause I don't want to be Unnie-zoned.” It came out as a mumble, giving Y/N a hard time to decipher what she said.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“Their latte is really good.” Jennie took another sip, her face flushing, definitely not because of the hot drink.

 

Y/N, being the human rock, failed to notice every hints directed on her way, took a sip of her drink and agreed to what Jennie said.

 

After a few minutes of silence, Jennie really wanted to spark up a conversation so she asked, “So you’re a rapper?” even though Y/N mentioned it earlier.

 

The latter looked up from her phone. “Mm… Although they’re still deciding whether they’ll put me as a vocalist and dancer as well. I mean, I’m not that great in both but, probably average? I don’t know.” The instructors saw a potential on her. Albeit she can’t hit high notes since her voice is on the deeper side compared to the others, she can still sing decently and they think she can improve with her style of singing.

 

“Me too! I’m a rapper, vocalist, and dancer as well. Not that I’m boasting of course.” Jennie rubbed her nape as she shyly looked down on her drink. She was just too excited that she had more than one thing in common with the other girl.

 

“Cool. I’m still practicing my rap though, especially in Korean. Singing in Korean is definitely easier than rapping in Korean, but I’m honestly more comfortable in rapping. It’s hard.” A sigh escaped her lips as she shook her head. So far, she can only memorise and memorise the lyrics of the rap for so many times before she can perform it. It’s a long process of memorisation plus the breathing so it’s definitely difficult. 

 

A bulb lit above Jennie’s head and she praised herself on her mind for the brilliant idea. “If you want, I can help you with your Korean?” 

 

“Umm… I don’t know… Aren’t you busy though?” Y/N certainly didn’t want to be a bother to anyone, especially to someone she only knew for an hour. Plus, she wasn’t entirely sure if her awkward self can handle being with no one but Jennie.

 

“Nah, I still have some spare time. We can meet somewhere if you want? Library or cafe?” Jennie sounded eager about it but Y/N didn’t take a clue. To be honest though, Jennie didn’t really have that much time to spare. Their military-like training is already too much to handle but she was sure that she can squeeze in a little time for her love life tutoring.

 

Y/N smiled, stil hesitant. “Umm… Okay. Thanks a lot.”

 

“It’s nothing!” She tried her best not to sound too excited but she couldn’t hide it. How can she when there’s fireworks erupting inside her?

 

Before they separate ways, Jennie made sure to ask for Y/N’s number, although bashfully. 

 

Although Jennie wanted to do the tutoring already, their busy practice schedule prevented her from doing so, until two days after. 

“Oh my god, unnie. Calm down. You’ll be able to meet her later.” Rosé assured Jennie, who had been biting her nails and singing from time to time.

 

Jennie stood up, her eyebrows meeting. “I can’t! What if she already forgot about me tutoring her?” 

 

“We’ll be allowed to go home early, just call and ask her already.” Jisoo shook her head, an amused smile playing on her lips. She had never seen Jennie this troubled over someone, more especially a girl. Whenever a guy comes to Jennie and tries to flirt, the latter would turn him down immediately saying she doesn’t have time for any of this ‘love s’ as she has her mind on only one goal: debuting. She said she ‘wasn’t going to let those guys ruin her chance of debuting’. But here she is, making use of time overthinking the hell out of her because of a girl. 

 

A sigh, a nervous one, escaped her lips as she pressed the call button, hoping that the other line would answer. 

A couple of rings after, Y/N picked up, and Jennie can here heavy breathing at the other end.

 

“Hello?” Y/N’s sweet, yet tired voice, made Jennie unconsciously smile, not aware of the teasing looks the other three members are shooting her.

 

“Hi Y/N! Are you busy?” She crossed her fingers, hoping that she isn’t.

 

Y/N was actually having her dance practice along with some other trainees, but thankfully the instructor announced a break right when Jennie called.“…Not to the point that I can’t talk to you. Why?” 

 

“I was thinking, maybe I can help you with your Korean today?” Jennie’s voice was getting smaller for every word. She was shy, a feeling that she rarely let anyone see, after all, she’s oozing with confidence. But that confidence vanishes in thin air when it comes to Y/N. 

 

“Oh. My schedule for practices today ends at four though. So I’m only available after that…” 

 

Jennie wasn’t going to let the opportunity go. She didn’t mind waiting for almost three hours just to spend time with her crush. It too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter