Falling Petals

Unicorns Are Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I disregarded the parents lol just assume that they're not there

Falling Petals

Learning to let go

 

 

It was Tuesday during my last period when I heard the most horrifying thing I’ve ever heard. After the bell rang, I quickly ran out of the classroom to my best friend’s class.

 

“You quit cheerleading?!” Rosé loves cheerleading. She had been in the team for nearly three years already. It certainly felt like the end of the world. But then again, why do I seem more affected than her?

 

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I was going to tell you earlier but I couldn’t find you.” She smiled sadly as we walked the hallway.

 

“Why? You love cheerleading.”

 

“My dad doesn’t really want me to. You know how I always get sick.” It’s true actually. She gets tired easily because of their rigorous practices and she often gets sick. 

 

“But still, you can just tell him that you’ll start to eat healthy food and be a vegan.”

 

“I already talked to him and he said that it was already final. It’s okay though, I guess.” It wasn’t okay for her, I know. That’s the thing between us, we could read each other like an open book. No barriers or what so ever. I know when she’s upset, tired, mad, and she knows me like the back of her hand as well. 

 

“That’s unbelievable,” I mumbled. But it’s not like I can really do something about it. Her dad can be scary sometimes. “To cheer you up, let’s go grab some ice cream! Last person to get there will pay!” I quickly ran and I heard her following closely behind me. I’m still going to pay though even if I get there first.

 

I looked behind and saw Rosé falling behind. Geez, this slow poke. “Hey turtle! Faster!” I teased, waiting for her to catch up.

 

“It’s unfair!” She says as she finally caught up to where I stopped. She had a difficulty talking because of the shortness of her breath. “You’re in the track team and I’m not!” Rosé whined with her small annoyingly cute voice.

 

While Rosé joined the cheerleading team, I was in the track team. We actually met because of it. We always had practice after school and them too. She was the first one to approach me since she’s the more friendly one and I’m selectively social. “You haven’t been running for more than a minute and you’re already tired?! Weak!” I ruffled her hair and laughed, while Rosé smiled, pushing me before running to the ice cream shop. 

 

Maybe I’ll let her win this time.

 

Chae didn’t come to school the next day, her relatives have this party, which she’s required to attend. I don’t really get why they plan a party on a school day. Seriously?

 

“Hey Jen!” I called as I saw her by the locker.

 

“Let me guess, Rosé is not around?” Jennie raised an eyebrow, her knowing smile making me laugh.

 

I snatched the book from her hands, helping her carry it. “You’re right! You’re always right.” She shook her head, smiling. Jennie is one of the few friends that I’ve got. I have a lot of acquaintances here in school, because apparently, you’re supposed to be popular if you’re in a sports team. 

Not that I only talk to Jen when Chae’s not around, but… yeah that’s probably the case most of the time. 

 

 

“I ate with Jen yesterday.” 

 

“Did I ask?” Rosé’s snarky remark almost made me laugh. She’s jealous. She always hates it when I gain a new friend. I never opened up the topic though since sometimes I do get jealous when she spends more time with others than me. I mean, I’m her best friend, nobody can take the throne from me.

 

“I just thought that you’d be worried that your best friend was a loner yesterday.”

 

“Well, I’m not.” Well, someone’s on her period today. Something must’ve happened at the party yesterday.

 

We sat at our usual table at our canteen and I simply observed her. She had her eyebrows furrowed and a deep frown etched on her face as she scrolled through her phone. “Why are you so thin? Tell me, have I ever starved you?” I placed my hand on my chest, being overly dramatic, hoping somehow she will laugh. 

 

“Shut up.” Okay, she didn’t laugh.

 

I gasped. “You’re not on a diet, are you? I swear I’m going to kill you if say you’re on a diet, Park Chaeyoung.” I glared playfully, but seriously, she’s too thin for her age and height. Sometimes I feel like her bones are going to break anytime.

 

“Do I look like I’m on a diet?” 

 

“Yes, you do.”

 

“No, I’m not on a diet.” She abruptly stood up, crossing her arms, and then she started walking away. Geez, she’s really on her period. It’s hard to keep up with an angry Chaeyoung. This is going to be a long day.

 

 

It was Friday and Chaeyoung couldn’t come to school because she was sick. Now I know why she was in a bad mood yesterday. Most of the times I envy her for having a weak immune system. It must’ve been nice to not attend classes. Why don’t I ever get sick?! Ugh.

 

After classes have ended, I went over to their house as I’m a hundred percent sure that nobody is taking care of her. Her parents are always not around. Oh, have I mentioned? They’re filthy rich. And as a consequence, her parents are always working. They’re kind and loving, but they’re always busy. 

 

I went inside, not needing to ring the doorbell as I already know the passcode to their door and the key to their gate. I’m like, their second daughter already.

 

Before going up to Chaeyoung’s room, I asked the maids if she had eaten already, and thankfully she had. Although I doubt that she took medicine since she hates those. She says it tastes bad when it doesn’t really taste anything. 

 

When I went inside her room, she had her eyes closed but she fluttered it open when she heard me. She smiled weakly and I know that she was expecting me to come. I always come when she’s sick. It’s like, I’m her personal nurse. Chaeng made space for me and I sat next to her bed, narrating to her whatever happened earlier.

 

I changed the cold pack on her forehead. She’s seriously burning hot. Her forehead, I meant. “You have a fever and a cough. What a bad combination. You know what’s the best combination?” I bit the inside of my cheeks to keep myself from smiling.

 

“What?”

 

“You and me.” I paused, waiting for her reaction but she just stared at me, making me laugh. “Ew.” 

 

“Shut up flirt.” Chae laughed before facing the other side of the bed, probably going to sleep already. She always told me that I’m a flirt, although I only do that as a joke and I don’t know, it’s kinda funny.

 

Our finals will be in a week, so when Chae got better, we went to the library to study. However, for the past hour that we’ve been here, she kept on glancing at me and sometimes even staring. Of course, I acted like I didn’t notice it, but I do, and I feel really conscious. I’ve been noticing it ever since jennie mentioned it to me. Sometimes, the thought that I like my best friend does cross my mind. Jennie had pointed it out before, saying that I get worried easily and all those when it comes to chaeyoung, which can be true cause she can be problematic and clumsy.

 

Chaeyoung sighed, breaking my train of thoughts. “Do you like Jennie? More than a friend?” She asked and I looked at her. I was just thinking about Jennie earlier and then…

 

“Nope. What made you say so?”

 

“You’re starting to spend more time with her…than me.”

 

See? She gets jealous easily. I don’t even spend that much time with Jennie. “Oh really? I didn’t really notice…Well, then I’m going to sleep over at yours tonight and watch some movies!”

 

“And who invited you?”

 

“Do I need to be invited?” I placed my things inside my bag and stood up. What’s the point of staying here when both of us are just pretending to study?

 

We were supposed to watch UP but then Chaeyoung wanted to watch a walk to remember just because she feels like crying today. It’s one of her favourite movies. She loves cliché movies. And I’ve probably watched a walk to remember four times already, no kidding.

 

The movie already came to an end and I could hear Chaeng beside me sniffing. She always cries even if she watched the movie thousand times already, even miracle in cell no. 7, another movie that we’ve watched over and over again. I cried when I watched it for the first time but after a couple more, I just feel sad. Why is this so sad anyway? If I had canc——

 

“What would you do if you have a cancer?” Our minds are totally connected.

 

“Mmm…I’ll do everything that I’ve always wanted to do. Say the things I’m afraid to say.” I’ve actually thought about it more than once before. I feel like if I had cancer I would live the most out of my life without restraints.

 

I felt Chaeng’s hands on mine, and it was very cold that it almost made me shiver. I looked at her and she seemed like she wanted to say something but couldn’t. Finally, she exhaled and said, “I like you, a lot. For two years already.”

 

“What?! Are you serious?” So everything Jennie said is true? Why didn’t she just told me though?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter