Birch Street, 32

Unicorns Are Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

this is a bit ty

Birch Street, 32

A halloween special

 

It has been five years since I’ve been here, I’ve been told. There wasn’t much to see from the window as we go down the road. It’s as if someone painted the whole town green. There were a couple of big old houses and small marts here and there but it wasn’t as alive as I imagined it would be. Nevertheless, the fresh air is enough to make my stay here pleasant, considering the polluted air I’ve been inhaling as long as I remember. 

 

Mom turned off the engine and in front of us stood was what I assumed as my grandparents’ house. Stepping out of the car, I looked around the street and thankfully, it isn’t quite as dead as the street we passed by earlier. We had neighbours and I could spot a convenience store around perhaps 50 steps from where I’m standing.

 

I took out the backpack that I brought from the trunk and walked to the porch. The house, compared to the others I’ve seen earlier, is more modern looking. It’s a two storey house painted in white, although the door and windows looked as if it’s going to give up anytime soon. The fence and gate are covered with rust, clearly, nobody’s taken interest in cleaning them, but overall, it’s not too bad. 

 

Grandpa and Grandma came out when we knocked and of course, I was tackled into a big bear hug, not that I mind though. I was used to it anyway since they come by our house in the city quite often. After a minute of chit chats grandma showed me the way to my room on the second floor. The room, which was supposedly mine, was squeaky clean and I’m sure that they had it cleaned up probably yesterday. The floor was wooden, just like the one on the first floor, and the cabinets looked quite old as well and the smell of it lingers in the room despite the scented candle by the dresser. On the wall hung some pictures of me with some people in the same age as me at that time. I was probably ten or something when the pictures were taken but I can’t really recall anything before when I was twelve. 

 

I left my things on the bed and went to the bathroom to have a quick shower before we had dinner. This does kinda feel like home but, I don’t know…I don’t know yet. 

 

Once I finished taking a shower, I went down and joined my grandparents and mom at the table. With all the food on the table, it looked like we’re having a—-Oh .

 

The lights went off as well as the fans. No lights in an old house and isolated town? This is the last thing I would want to happen. I hate darkness. It scares the out of me.

 

There were some shuffling and I can’t really figure out who it was but I just kept quiet, trying to calm down my beating heart and my endless imagination when I felt a cold breeze pass by me. No I’m certainly not panicking. Definitely not. 

 

Oh thank god. Finally. Grandpa lit a candle and placed it on the table, followed by two more before he went to the kitchen and placed one as well. He went back on his seat when he finished lighting the candles. “Sorry dear. Electricity isn’t reliable in this area. Mayor’s an .”

 

“Language Arthur! There’s a kid in front of you.” Grandma glared at Grandpa like he just murdered someone.

 

Grandpa rolled his eyes and I heard mom chuckle as she finished cutting the roasted chicken. “Oh please. She ain’t no kid. I’m sure she’ve heard a lot worse curses. Right?” He winked at me and I could only laugh as it’s definitely true. I mean, I don’t just hear curses, I say it, but of course I won’t tell them that. 

 

 

After dinner, mom and grandma washed the dishes while I went up stairs to unpack my things. It didn’t take long for me to place my clothes in the closet since I didn’t bring that much. Just enough to last me for two weeks. 

 

Beside my bed was a window draped with white curtains. I took a peek outside, which wasn’t really a good idea since there were no visible light except for the dim lighting of the convenience store which happens to be flickering. Don’t they know that street lamps exist? Grandpa’s right, the mayor is an . The funds are probably going to his pocket. But wait. Is that—- 

I squinted and looked closely as I think I saw someone walking in the dark. I watched as the figure stopped abruptly, as if it felt me staring at—- “Oh my god!” I turned around as fast as I could when I heard a loud thud behind me. I placed my hand over my chest and calmed my breathing once I saw who it was. “Mom! You scared me!”

 

“Why are you so jumpy?” Mom laughed before she placed down the comforter on my bed. It’s not even funny. It was a matter of life an death. 

 

Mom turned around before she left. “No coffee for you tomorrow.” Oh please. It’s not the coffee, it’s the person outside the street, who is already gone right when I looked back the window. How can that person not be scared walking the streets without any light? 

 

Deciding to leave it alone, I sat by the edge of the bed and ended up staring at the pictures on the wall. There was a couple of familiar faces but most of the pictures were me with probably friends or cousins, I don’t really know. But there’s this girl that appeared in a lot of pictures, more than my mom or grandparents. We look kinda close. I mean, I wouldn’t have those pictures if we weren’t close.

 

The vibration at my left almost made me scream. Maybe mom is right, I should stop drinking coffee. Although I think it’s because it’s too quiet that I easily get surprised. 

 

I picked up my phone and saw a message from an unknown number. 

 

Birch street, 32. 

 

The message says.

 

What’s that supposed to mean? Perhaps an invitation for a party? 

 

I turned off my phone and laid down the bed. It would take days before I get used to sleeping here.

 

 

Before I knew it, the sun has already risen and there was a lone streak of light coming from the gap between the curtains. Time to get up. 

 

I brushed my teeth and washed my face before going down for breakfast. Apparently they’ve already finished and they didn’t wait for me. Great. I’m used to eating alone anyways. After finishing breakfast and taking a shower, I went to see grandma in the garden and thought that maybe I can help with whatever she was doing. There’s really nothing to do in the house.

 

“You should go around dear. This used to be your home before the accident happened, explore it. Who knows? You might bump into your old friends.” Oh great, I’m not needed here. Mom and grandpa even left me to buy groceries. Well, maybe I should go ‘explore’ this town. It’s better than nothing especially when there’s no internet.

 

Outside the streets, there were some people walking their dogs and some simply walking. This street isn’t busy at all. What do they do for living? Based from the looks of it, they’re either retired or farmers. 

 

I wondered around and I probably was walking too far already when I saw the sign ‘Birch street’. It’s the one from the message I’ve received yesterday. I turned right and walked through the street. If our street doesn’t have that much people living in it, birch street is even more isolated. As far as I’ve gone, I could only count six houses, all old and seemed as if it’s abandoned. I walked further before I stopped and stood in front of a two storey house made of wood. 32. Birch street, 32. This is the house. Its doors and windows were bare rotten wood. A lonesome oak tree stood in front of the house, covering one fourth of the house. There was something odd about it. It’s as if I was being drawn inside, and some sort of a horizontal gravitational force is pulling me inside the house. I walked towards the gate, stepping foot on the lawn, when I felt my hands turn cold. 

 

Someone’s staring at me. 

 

I looked around me and there I saw by the window, a silhouette of a man, standing and most probably staring at me. The silhouette started walking and before I can comprehend what was about to happen, the door creaked open and a guy in a black hoody came out, looking down as he walked straight to me. 

 

. Is this the part where he drags me inside and kills me? 

 

Thankfully, my senses went back and quickly turned around to run back to where I came from before he can even get close. I ran and ran. When I glanced back, I saw him standing by the gate, looking like a statue. What the was that?

 

I ended up going inside the convenience store near our house to get an ice cream and maybe forget about that creepy guy. There were chairs and tables outside of the store so after paying, I went out and sat there for a while.

 

Without nothing to do, I played with my phone, tossing it and letting the keychain ring, until it was suddenly stuck on something. I looked beside me and saw that the metal hook of the keychain was stuck on someone’s dress.

 

“Oh . I’m so sorry!” I quickly stood up and removed the keychain, hoping it didn’t damaged her laced dress.

 

The girl giggled. “It’s fine, no harm done.” I looked up, mesmerized by her mere voice, and my heart even beat louder when my eyes locked with her beautiful brown orbs and long curly lashes. Her thin pink lips were tugged into a smile, a timid one, and I swear to all gods that I just came face to face with an angel.

 

There was something in her. She was like the house in birch street, in a sense that she’s luring me, as if she had some kind of spell, and I find myself wanting to talk to her. She’d drawn me like the house, but unlike the house, she was gorgeous. Gorgeous enough to make me question whether such beauty really exists or it’s merely a figment of my imagination.

 

I watched as she said something, but I was too focused admiring her to hear what it was. “Huh?”

 

She giggled once again and shook her head. “You’re cute.”

 

“Sorry?” Did I hear that right?

 

“I’m Jisoo.”

 

I smiled back, and I suddenly feel embarrassed. “Oh. I’m Y/N.”

 

Jiso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter